Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MASSU2...That is a great haul.... too bad no silver, but still OK....
    @SaorAlba... A WLH is a great find.... and that is a great year.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've broken my coinstar drought with a whopping total of 29 cents over three 2018 visits to the grocery store. And then there was this little "Gem" in the reject slot:

A 2015 Homestead National Monument quarter, mintmark uncertain.

You can see the old iron pump with pail rather clearly at 6 o'clock, bottom of the wheatstalks too, and some of the roofline on the cabin. Weight 5.6 grams.

Yes Ladies and Germs - post mint damage!

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday's reject tray included a recent Canada quarter and a bunch of recent US cents, nickels, and dimes.

Why the US coins were rejected I don't know.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is one mutilated quarter. Much better than the other 29 cents that you found.

Zero, again for me today.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

Nothing at all so far in the new year... that quarter in the OP must have spent a lot of time in a busy parking lot....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of zincolns but nothing numismatic :/

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a 1956 quarter!

Except I think it popped out of the bag of changed I dumped into the machine, so it was a self-inflicted wound...

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could you put a 1956 quarter into a Coinstar machine?

Your coin collecting license could be revoked for that.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2018 3:02PM

@sellitstore said:
    How could you put a 1956 quarter into a Coinstar machine?

Your coin collecting license could be revoked for that.

Reason 1: Because it was in a bag of 2000 quarters. (I'm cashing in a lot of coins accumulated over the past 40 years...) Of the approximately 7500 quarters cashed in so far, a single silver quarter is a pretty good batting average.

Reason 2: My eyes turned to crap when I hit 50... :D

• Options

The eyes do get trickier with age, and it starts around age fifty for those who had no problems when young. I got glasses for driving at age 48, and while I don't wear glasses to do close up reading, I now have FIVE different cheaters on my desk for coins and really small printed stuff.

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2018 3:52PM

First find in a few weeks last night. 5-year old assistant breaks with tradition and takes the foreign coin as her cut over the 11c US. I think shiny and big are her two biggest criteria, rather than country or value, regardless of what she might say.

• Options

@mvs7.... Or maybe she knows that it will spend easily at a counter... Canadian quarters are not even looked at... probably a lot to do with the SHQ's and SPQ's.... I think she got you again... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko - I had to clamp down a little bit, because she was trying to equate the Coinstar reject tray with the change slot on the Home Depot self-checkout machine. ("No, you don't get half of that!") The funny thing is, when she was three, she would just leave her "winnings" all over the house and I would "reacquire" them. So, I got her a little commercial lockbox that has a coin tray and a place for bills. Now, any money she gets goes into that, including the SBA last month and this Canadian quarter. I can just imagine her trying to pay college expenses with a bunch of SBAs and foreign coins in fifteen years.

• Options

Nice find @steveben, especially the silver Roosie! I'm in a silver drought as of late... tons of clad, Zincolns, and foreign stuff, but no silver in maybe six months. Maybe my luck will change in 2018!

• Options

Today 80c in Canadian dosh, a couple of zincolns and a 1963 Roosie - the cumulative total from four different machines.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

28c today, 3 Zincolns and a clad quarter. (After my assistant's cut, I'm left with 3 Zincolns.)

• Options

@mvs7 said:
    28c today, 3 Zincolns and a clad quarter. (After my assistant's cut, I'm left with 3 Zincolns.)

My assistant was with me, she only wanted me to find silver since I would then have to buy her a bag of candy because she was the lucky silver girl. She usually doesn't keep the stuff in the machine unless it is some interesting foreign coin.

• Options

I continue with my drought in the New Year..... have done better in change from transactions... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Awesome, a rim fire in the Coinstar.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Got a 1957-D 10¢ today along with a steel cent

• Options

Wow... you guys are hauling in the coins.... I have found nothing, zero, zilch, nada.... beginning to feel deprived.
    Oh well.. will check again today... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I just got 37c plus a CuNi Canadian quarter at the Wegman's grocery store Coinstar.....I just happened to look back over my shoulder and saw a glint in the return box. The Giant's Coinstar return box is ravaged and NEVER find anything at that cheap A place...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

(Sarc) Somebody at Costco probably couldn't get the hot dog lunch special because they lost that dollar bill!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:
    (Sarc) Somebody at Costco probably couldn't get the hot dog lunch special because they lost that dollar bill!

They were probably forced to do the free food tour circling kiosk to kiosk. Is there any other reason to go to Costco??

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dtkk49a said:
    Ran to Shop Rite to pick up stuff for the Superbowl party and while I was there I checked the Coin Star machine and was rewarded with two 1964 dimes plus a nice eclectic group if tokens, etc. One of my better hauls in a while.

wow!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was in a Shop Rite today and noticed a few coins in the reject bin. Came away with two heavily corroded zincolns, a modern nickel, a Canadian cent, and two wheats, 1937 and 1943(!). I cannot remember ever seeing a steel cent in circulation, so that was quite the surprise.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

Coin star at the primary/ home grocery this last week - a fifty-two cent haul and an eleven cent find - two quarters, a dime, three one cent coins - all modern. None of these coins seemed to have problems.

Since the New Year started, my grocery tacked on about a dime to every single product in the store that was formerly priced 79 cents or higher. Coinstar finds (and coupons) all help the cause.

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

I think that shield nickel is an 1882.

• Options

Not much in the Seattle suburb Coinstars in the last few weeks, and nothing really good either... as usual, a good % of rejected coins are from our neighbors to the north.

• Options
    uscoinguyuscoinguy Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

People must be smarter where I live- I never find anything when I check...

Always trying to learn more
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps you should sell him something. Might be a better option

• Options

@dtkk49a....Wow... quite a haul... and even wheaties....That was a good day indeed. I have found nothing for weeks now...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 253 ✭✭✭✭

Checked the usual local supermarket machine today and pulled out $1.40 in dimes. 9 Clad, 3 Canadian and 2 silver. I believe this is the first time the "green machine" has given me silver. A crusty 1957 and a gorgeous 1964 with plenty of original mint luster.

• Options

Jealous of the silver, the past couple of weeks have been skint on silver for me but I did find the following:

4 Wheats, including a 1929, 1936
    France 2 Euros 2002
    Poland 2 Zloty 2009
    Lebanon 250 Livres 1996
    Brazil 10 centavlos 1997
    Australia 10 cents 2006
    56c in Canadian change
    Probably 75c in US change that I put in a donation box.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nada for me in weeks...
    Congrat's to all those great finds.
    Have to keep looking...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today:

$0.47 US (1 quarter, 1 dime, 1 nickel, 7 cents)
    $0.35 Canada (1 quarter, 2 nickels)
    2 UK 1 pence coins
    2 unidentified cupro-nickel coins with ideogram characters (Far East?)

None of the above silver or older than 1982.

• Options

I have not been out the past two days...and it is snowing now - 9-12 inches expected. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file