Home U.S. Coin Forum

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

"free money-giving" machines".... :D:D Well, sort of.... occasionally... in my case, not often. Once in a while, someone gets a real treasure.... but not often. Still, fun to check 'found' money.... Cheers, RickO

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

This morning, early no less at 630am, I found a mini-hoard in the Coinstar:
    Nearly $2 in Canadian change
    11 regular cent coins
    and a nice corrosion free 1943 steel cent.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Wow...maybe that is my mistake.... I go by the machine later in the day.... Maybe the midnight people leave more change... :D Cheers, RickO

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another decent haul today. The five-year-old Coinstar-checking assistant actually made a mistake, too, opting to just take the shiny 1979-S SBA $1 instead of the dirty Euro (= ~$1.17) + the 13 extra cents when we split it up. Live and learn, kid. ;)

Nice haul... and I think your assistant was looking at potential liquidity :D Cheers, RickO

edited December 12, 2017 9:17PM

@ricko said:
    Nice haul... and I think your assistant was looking at potential liquidity :D Cheers, RickO

That's what she said! "You have to go and spend that in another country." :) I'm like, "Now?"

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Wow...maybe that is my mistake.... I go by the machine later in the day.... Maybe the midnight people leave more change... :D Cheers, RickO

I never thought of that but it's probably true.......for many reasons.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I finally saw a penny in the reject slot at the end of the checkout line at our local grocery store. Couldn't make myself grab it!

I have a solution.............carry a few 'reject' coins in your pocket. When you pass a machine, confidently walk up to it and deposit your reject coins. When they fall into the bin....grab whatever is in there. No one will ever know :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

@1630Boston .... Excellent concept....Cheers, RickO

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier

That's a pleasant surprise!

Very nice.... silver from any country is a good find....Cheers, RickO

Yesterday found 7 cents in the coin machine, one of them a 1934 and a Pinellas County bridge token from Florida.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Yesterday the machine produced the following:

5 Chuck E Cheese tokens
    1 Car Wash token
    2 Canadian 25c
    1 British penny dated 1991
    1 Canadian 5c dated 1964

and a 1937 cent.

Well... at least you are finding some coins.... I am back in the drought....Will be doing some shopping this week, so maybe at the mall (though that place is mostly deserted... hardly any shops left and no one there). Cheers, RickO

About a buck and a half in regular change that then went to the Salvation Army kettle, and:

a Mexican 5 centavos dated 1976
    a Wheatie dated 1941

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Saw two men, one dressed in a suit, the other guy in bib overalls fighting over the change in the coinstar machine today. That wouldn't have been any of you guys, would it ?

@TwoSides2aCoin
    It could have been, can you describe them :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Saw two men, one dressed in a suit, the other guy in bib overalls fighting over the change in the coinstar machine today. That wouldn't have been any of you guys, would it ?

I wear neither apparels.

It was not I .... nothing in the machine lately... other than a Canadian nickel two days ago.... and I do not wear bib overalls... and no suits since I retired.... ;) Cheers, RickO

Yesterday a Canadian quarter and half a zincoln....Cheers, RickO

Approximately 57c in regular change that went to the red kettle.

A Bahamas mini cent, two Zincolns and a rolled cent.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checked the no cost vouchers on coinstar the other day and they had one for EBay looks like some more of my metal detector pennies may be going to market

Yesterday afternoon... the local supermarket Coinstar was in a giving mood... One quarter, four dimes, two nickels, six zincolns.... and a 2013 Singapore 10 cent piece. One zincoln was damaged...Not much, but more than I expected. Cheers, RickO

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the Canadian 1964 Nickel to see if it is 3 or 4 waterlines on the left.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

@YQQ.... I am not sure what you mean regarding the '3 or 4' waterlines at the left. I do see water lines to the left as I look at the reverse.... not sure how you are counting. Could you be more specific? Not being familiar with Canadian coins, I could use some help. Cheers, RickO

Good morning RickO
    Have attached an image with notes for the extra WL on the 1964 Canadian Nickel.
    Hope that helps.

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I checked the local Smiths store coinstar yesterday and came up with a 1936 Washington quarter. First time I got anything other than a few pennies.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds.....@rickO...glad your drought us over. My drought continues.

@YQQ... Thank you... Looks like mine is three lines.... darn.... well, now I will be checking Canadian nickels in change... actually get them frequently here... Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2017 6:44AM

@1630Boston said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@TwoSides2aCoin
    It could have been, can you describe them :smile:

Kind of thinking it was Warren Buffett and Larry the Cable Guy. They’ve been known to hang out in the area.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OnlyGoldIsMoney said:
    Land of hope and gloria
    Land of my Victoria
    Victoria, 'toria
    Victoria, Victoria, Victoria, 'toria

Found Christmas Eve morning at my local supermarket. Dirtier than my feeble photo skills can portray.

wow!
    Congrats

Frank

BHNC #203

now, Santa must have lost that one.
    worth around US 18-20.

That is super.... What a great find.... That would be my 'find of the year'....Cheers, RickO

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's silver. It's over 100 years old. It's in decent circulated condition with no damage.

Yes, that qualifies as a very nice find.

Zero for me today and just a lonely cruddy cent last week. However, two silver dimes during 2017 which is the most silver that I "found" since the mid 1970s.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Very nice find :smile:

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a 1980 quarter today. Hardly worth taking a picture.

Wow! Very cool find...

@OnlyGoldIsMoney said:

Found Christmas Eve morning at my local supermarket. Dirtier than my feeble photo skills can portray.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your tiddlywink beats my nothing

@MaineJim.... Nice haul.... saw a fair amount of action at the coinstar the other day, but the one I watched while checking out was retrieving their reject coins...Three people waiting in line to cash in coins... I did not wait. Cheers, RickO

Nothing but plain Canadian and a few Zincolns in the last week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file