Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The OFFICIAL COINSTAR FINDS THREAD

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing in the reject slot today but I bent down and took a peek under the front of the machine and found a lonely cent that was hiding from everybody else's clutches because they were too proud to be seen looking under the machine.

And the best part - it is a 94 year old wheat cent! 1924!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

A dumb token from a laser tag place. Whoopie!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well...nothing in the reject slot... however, there was a dime on the floor of the checkout aisle... and yes, I picked it up.... not silver though. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2018 11:42AM

Last evening I went to the local store and saw a man at the Coinstar machine. He had a box of pennies (8"x3"x3") and was feeding them into the machine. He told me that he buys boxes and rolls of pennies to look for rare ones.

This morning I went to the bank next to the store to deposit a check. Later at the store, the Coinstar machine had some change, but not from the "penny man" last night. Ten dimes, one 1964 silver, two Euro coins, two copper pennies, and several Reagan pennies.

The silver dime was the first silver coin found this year.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

I Believe I read on a thread somewhere here a while back where someone found a $2.5 gold Indian in their local CoinStar.
    It's been a dry spell for me, also. I even have my girlfriend and her mom checking the reject bin for me. I always laugh when I get the text "What's the year for silver again?" "I got a 1957 dime from the Coinstar today, that's silver, right?" It makes my day.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Yes, you absolutely have to check under the machine. I get down on my hands & knees. I found a Chinese dollar coin under there once! I'm one of those people that doesn't embarrass easily. For some reason my family doesn't appreciate that quality in me.

I usually find the best things hiding under the machine, waiting for me to come get them. Silver dimes, the 1924 Lincoln above etc.

• Options

I have not yet looked under the coinstar.... I do pick up any coins I see on the floor though...The reject bin has been empty lately ... seems to go through cycles here...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Yes, you absolutely have to check under the machine. I get down on my hands & knees. I found a Chinese dollar coin under there once! I'm one of those people that doesn't embarrass easily. For some reason my family doesn't appreciate that quality in me.

I'm not at that stage yet in my Coinstar searching career. However...if somebody ever reports finding a gold coin underneath a Coinstar machine, next time I visit the supermarket I'll be bringing in a jacklift so i can fully see what's underneath there. :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2018 9:50AM

@stevek said:
    I'm not at that stage yet in my Coinstar searching career. However...if somebody ever reports finding a gold coin underneath a Coinstar machine, next time I visit the supermarket I'll be bringing in a jacklift so i can fully see what's underneath there. :)

That's when you show up in a Coinstar maintenance uniform.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

3/15/18. I got a Cent that I can't even identify. It's so crusty it looks to have been in the ocean schmoozing with Barnacle Bill.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I walked by a CoinStar machine , last weekend. I started to walk up to it and look, but as soon as I got to within 5 feet of the machine, 2 guys jumped in front of me. One in a 3 piece suit, and the other in a lab coat. Looked like "all star wrestling " for a moment. I immediately did an about face and picked up a few bananas and nuts before heading to the check-out counter.

(just kidding , people). Practicing my writing skills.

• Options

@bigole said:
    OK, so I've seen this thread for a while, pretty much ignored it. But I make it into Walmart about every week, and so for the last 6 weeks or so I've started checking the Coinstar reject slot. So far only picked up about a $1 in misc change, plus a handful of foreigns. But, today, finally got a keeper!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Well maybe not a dinner, but certainly a small box of chicken nuggets. ;)

Nice find - i'd take that any time. :)

• Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Thanks. My main point is that if you've thought about it but haven't tried it, you really might find something. It's kind of like fishing- at least I know that if you're fishing for silver in Coinstar reject slots, it CAN happen.......
    (Unless you live in the Orlando area- I've already got those covered, don't waste your time).

• Options

Well.... No silver, but on the floor not far from the coinstar, I found a 1929S wheatie....I keep the wheat cents...just because....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    steelieleesteelielee Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Darn, no silver, but did find a $10 & a $5 laying on the ground at the car wash today.....been shutout at our local coinstar, may have to wash the car more frequently....

Many successful BST transactions with dozens of board members, references on request.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't found anything in a long time. I think an employee at the supermarket must be swiping the coins.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

72 cents..one stetehood qtr, 4 roosies, 2 jeffs, 2 mem. cents, no silver....thanks rln

• Options

Been a silver drought for me but I did walk by the machine the other day as the person using it scooped out the coins - and threw them in the trash can next to the machine :# After he was out of the vicinity I traipsed by the trash can and pulled out:

Mexico 5 centavos 1966
    1936 Wheatie
    1982 bronze with about a 20% clip
    And finally a Pebble Beach Golf Course ball marker.

• Options
    CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Found a 1953-D silver dime today!!

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• Options

Well, broke the drought...however the find was 3 1990's English one penny coins and around 10 Lincoln memorials, so I'm not sure if that is technically considered breaking a Coinstar drought or not?

Probably not. LOL

• Options

@SaorAlba said:
    Been a silver drought for me but I did walk by the machine the other day as the person using it scooped out the coins - and threw them in the trash can next to the machine :# After he was out of the vicinity I traipsed by the trash can and pulled out:

Mexico 5 centavos 1966
    1936 Wheatie
    1982 bronze with about a 20% clip
    And finally a Pebble Beach Golf Course ball marker.

You are a hard core, coin searcher.

i like that. LOL

• Options

Well... I have never seen anyone throw the rejects in the trash can.... and never thought to check either.... I may give it a glance next trip.....Usually they just pocket the rejects. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    Well... I have never seen anyone throw the rejects in the trash can.... and never thought to check either.... I may give it a glance next trip.....Usually they just pocket the rejects. Cheers, RickO

I try not to dig in the trash can, but if something is noticeable in there I will go for it. Have even found silver dimes, older silver Canadian coins and a large silver Spanish 100 peseta from 1966 in the trash can near the machine.

• Options

1c in US
    10c Canadian
    Chuck E Cheese token

And a 1942 Canada 5c coin, the nickel version.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two pennies at the Hy-Vee grocery store coinstar.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭

not coin star, but today in the DC metro I literally heard the coins dropping into the return as a customer walked away. Ignoring possible scrutiny from fellow travelers, I swooped in, pulled out 80 cents, and kept on chugging. Also found a penny later to top it off!

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

Well...nothing in the coinstar since my recent bonanza.... however, I did find two wheaties in the cent bin at the local ice cream shop...a 1946 and a 1948.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Two pennies at the Hy-Vee grocery store coinstar.

Worked for Hy-vee for 41 years. Found lots of silver including a couple Peace dollars over that time

• Options

A gaming token and a Canada 25c coin.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Well...nothing in the coinstar since my recent bonanza.... however, I did find two wheaties in the cent bin at the local ice cream shop...a 1946 and a 1948.... Cheers, RickO

Did you get an odd look when you bought them out of the cent tray? I have. Don't care.

• Options

@SaorAlba... A couple of the clerks, in the past, asked me what I was looking for... I told them I am a coin collecter and look for old cents.... one was interested, the others just said "oh... find any?"..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

I finally found the courage to look beneath. There were some coins there but no way I could get my fat fingers in the space between the bottom of the machine and the floor. What do you carry a yardstick into the stores or what?

Anyway it was a real confidence builder... one of the big milestones... and a cashier was staring at me open-mouthed as I got up off the floor.

• Options

@georgiacop50 said:
    I finally found the courage to look beneath. There were some coins there but no way I could get my fat fingers in the space between the bottom of the machine and the floor. What do you carry a yardstick into the stores or what?

Anyway it was a real confidence builder... one of the big milestones... and a cashier was staring at me open-mouthed as I got up off the floor. :D

Pens, markers etc that I usually have on me help out.

• Options

I have not done the 'under the machine' routine yet... however, I have one of those telescopic pointers used during presentations that could come in handy... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Found a bent dime only today.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

found a crusty jeff nickel that had all kinds of gunk on it, i left it on top of the machine for someone else, did not want that stuff in my pocket..thanks rln

• Options

I walk by the machine, I can see that there are coins in it but someone has their voluminous posterior parked in front of it using the counter to scratch off those perfidious lottery tickets. So I wait for an interminable time for lottery ticket queen to finish scratching all of her lottery tickets - they apparently were all losers.

Only three zincolns for all that weight.

• Options

Nothing yesterday....I even looked for a trash can to check... they do not have one by the Coinstar...So that means I don't get to do any 'can diving'... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@SaorAlba said:
    I walk by the machine, I can see that there are coins in it but someone has their voluminous posterior parked in front of it using the counter to scratch off those perfidious lottery tickets. So I wait for an interminable time for lottery ticket queen to finish scratching all of her lottery tickets - they apparently were all losers.

Only three zincolns for all that weight.

weight (wait)

I saw what you did there. ;)

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2018 2:35PM

Saw two machines yesterday

1 16 cents - 1 of the 16 was wheat (1953)

2 Canadian dime

• Options

Same machine, couple of passes by:

13 cent coins 1 a nice BU '68-D
    95 cents in other American change
    75 cents Canadian
    and two arcade tokens.

• Options

A big disappointment.... A couple was dumping a large container of coins... and I heard a bunch hitting the reject bin while I was in the checkout line... Then he reached in the slot and pulling out change, dropped a handful on the deck...darned if he did not get down on his knees and pick them all up. Left an empty reject slot as well..... :'( Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reject slot is so dark I never actually see much in there but there was a pile of bags on the machine so I knew someone had been there. Reached in to find 2 cents, a corroded dime, and a 1963D dime. :p

• Options

Walked to the other end of the store where the machine was, expecting the usual zip zilch nada thing and actually churned up a mini haul:

36 cent coins - including a '72-S
    and 75 cents in other USA coinage, nickels dimes and a quarter.

No foreign and no corroded zincolns.

• Options

@SaorAlba said:
    Walked to the other end of the store where the machine was, expecting the usual zip zilch nada thing and actually churned up a mini haul:

36 cent coins - including a '72-S
    and 75 cents in other USA coinage, nickels dimes and a quarter.

No foreign and no corroded zincolns.

It's a little early yet, but i think you've got an excellent chance to win the CU Coinstar Searcher of the Year award. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file