Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Successfully cracked out three cards this afternoon to crossover to PSA...

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@Littletweed said:

@mintonlypls said:
    SGC-92

Send it back in. I once cracked a PSA 8 and sent back to PSA - EOT, cracked and sent to SGC - 88, cracked and resent to SGC - 92, sent back to PSA in the holder for crossover and for the first time I received a crossover bump - SGC 92 to PSA 9. Remember these grades are an opinion, if you believe the card is worthy of a 9 holder, keep trying until you get the opinion you agree with.

I have done similar and have suggested to keep trying but I think with a card of this value and rarity he should probably wait at least a year.

Agreed. Or, do what the last three sellers of this card did, sell to someone hoping to get a crossover-bump and pay a premium.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

now send it to psa as a crossover, get your 8.5 then resub for a bump

• Options

I'd crack and re-sub

My biggest success stories is buying a pair of BGS 8 Ichiro gold refractor rookies for $800- English and Japanese

I cracked 'em, got 10s on both and told for $7k

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2017 3:12PM

This is the first thread I've ever read here and I've been posting in the coin and currency forums since 2003. WHAT HAPPENED WITH THAT CARD? :#

Edited to add: sorry, I see I've missed a few posts. Card was returned unholdered. But it was also submitted raw as well, right? Please bare with a coin collector. Does this mean that PSA sends back cards unholdered? (the so called body bags in coins that no longer exist) Because the DNC is self explanatory: did not cross, i.e. card was submitted in its previous holder, with or without a minimum grade specified, in which case the grade of the other TPG is used as a minimum grade anyway. Or not?

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    This is the first thread I've ever read here and I've been posting in the coin and currency forums since 2003. WHAT HAPPENED WITH THAT CARD? :#

Edited to add: sorry, I see I've missed a few posts. Card was returned unholdered. But it was also submitted raw as well, right? Please bare with a coin collector. Does this mean that PSA sends back cards unholdered? (the so called body bags in coins that no longer exist) Because the DNC is self explanatory: did not cross, i.e. card was submitted in its previous holder, with or without a minimum grade specified, in which case the grade of the other TPG is used as a minimum grade anyway. Or not?

Correct, the card was returned unholdered, in a Card Saver 1 between two thick pieces of cardboard so that it would not be damaged in the return shipment. The OP sent the raw card back to SGC, where it was holdered, but with a slightly lower grade than SGC originally encapsulated the card.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much. It was interesting to watch. I wish the submitter best of luck in his resubmission to SGC.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN said:
    Thank you very much. It was interesting to watch. I wish the submitter best of luck in his resubmission to SGC.

You might want to read up, it's all there, right above your post.

Correct, the card was returned unholdered, in a Card Saver 1 between two thick pieces of cardboard so that it would not be damaged in the return shipment.**** **The OP sent the raw card back to SGC, where it was holdered, but with a slightly lower grade than SGC originally encapsulated the card.****

It came back from SGC with a lesser grade.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭

There is no way I would pay 20,000 for a regular Topps card in a Mylar sleeve! Sorry PSA but you really need to address this but you won't, oh well..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭

@jackstraw said:
    There is no way I would pay 20,000 for a regular Topps card in a Mylar sleeve! Sorry PSA but you really need to address this but you won't, oh well..

what ?

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@jackstraw said:

what ?

Not sure what you don't understand? The plastic shiny Mylar sleeve? The one they put the card in before they put it in the holder thing is what they need to address as it is ugly. This is a regular 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 card so why does it need a sleeve in the first place? By the way I wouldn't pay 20 grand for any card but especially one that is in a Mylar sleeve..

Collector Focus

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2017 7:21AM

@jackstraw said:

@lawyer05 said:

@jackstraw said:

what ?

Not sure what you don't understand? The plastic shiny Mylar sleeve? The one they put the card in before they put it in the holder thing is what they need to address as it is ugly. This is a regular 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 card so why does it need a sleeve in the first place? By the way I wouldn't pay 20 grand for any card but especially one that is in a Mylar sleeve..

I'm not really sure what you are referring to in this thread. I know they have used the inner sleeves for some cards in the past if they don't fit in the holder too well, but I don't think I have seen a PSA hologrammed slab with a plastic sleeve for a standard sized card. Post a pic if you are referring to a specific card.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ugaskidawg said:

@jackstraw said:

@lawyer05 said:

@jackstraw said:

what ?

I'm not really sure what you are referring to in this thread. I know they have used the inner sleeves for some cards in the past if they don't fit in the holder too well, but I don't think I have seen a PSA hologrammed slab with a plastic sleeve for a standard sized card. Post a pic if you are referring to a specific card.

He's referring to the PSA 9 71 Munson card that was liked to above.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Ah. I'm not a fan of those either, mainly because of the aesthetics. I thought he was referring to an actual sleeve the card is placed in like with some other grading companies.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

A by-product of the card being "oversized" and therefore unable to fit properly in a standard frame within the slab. I believe that is a much older serial number and at the time PSA would grade and holder. I received a couple cards like that in my subs. Not so sure they would do so now as opposed to the minimum or maximum size requirement. Depends on the situation, I guess.

• Options

@travis t said:
    A by-product of the card being "oversized" and therefore unable to fit properly in a standard frame within the slab. I believe that is a much older serial number and at the time PSA would grade and holder. I received a couple cards like that in my subs. Not so sure they would do so now as opposed to the minimum or maximum size requirement. Depends on the situation, I guess.

The Munson is definitely short and not oversized..

Collector Focus

• Options

@jackstraw said:

@travis t said:

I beg to differ Mr. Griffer. Why is it in THAT slab?

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭✭

@travis t said:

@jackstraw said:

@travis t said:

I cant answer why it is in that slab, but I think he meant the Munson is cut short often and would be classified as traditional that way not cut too large. This card might be an exception, but it must have measured within the range and was holdered.

• Options

Not only is cut short often, it is also miscut to the degree that wavy borders can be detected with the naked eye. The above example does not fit that description, however, I get the impression the cut of it would not allow it to be perfectly fitted inside a standard holder with rails on all four sides.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Munson 9 is not like the usual Mylar sleeve holdered cards. It appears to be in a normal holder, suggesting the card is somehow undersized rather than oversized, and the Mylar is there to keep it stationary. Compare it to this card I just got back, where the inner well of the holder is missing because the card is oversized:

• Options
    edited March 4, 2017 8:01AM

I've provided the contentious arguments. No one has mentioned the reverse of the above shown Munson. Need we go further?

Oops ETA: gemint did mention it. So there (sticks tongue out). ;)

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

"Successfully cracked 2 cards"

• Options

@travis t said:

@jackstraw said:

@travis t said:

I was only pointing out that it is in a standard 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 holder meaning it was under and not over. I am not saying anything about the card my complaint is the ugly Mylar sleeve.

Collector Focus

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

They do the mylar sleeve on some of my '55 Bowman's I have too. My guess in some versions of the holder they had issues with cards moving and dark borders being chipped.