Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Successfully cracked out three cards this afternoon to crossover to PSA...

Comments

• Options

After looking at cards intensely all day long as a grader, I doubt they are going home and studying the blog here. I could be wrong.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Agreed, no chance.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2017 12:41PM

I think it is a bit naive' to think there is no chance PSA saw the thread. Do I think OP took a risk posting prior, sure he did. Do I think PSA workers may read here, yes being that they are more than likely deeply involved in the hobby as a collector and it seems reasonable that at least 1 employee who works at PSA could have seen the thread and mentioned it around work. If this was even remotely possible to happen, the submission was virtually then like an SGC to PSA crossover but they didnt ask for a minimum grade and so it was holdered based on their findings. I don't condone what PSA does with crossovers with people's past experiences being 1-2 grades lower as a standard, but if they saw the thread you bet they went in with finer tooth combs than normal. PSA now has a popular internet forum story on how an SGC 96 MINT = PSA 6.5 EX-MT+. Does it help or hurt them?--They could believe it helps build their reputation stronger.

I hope I am entirely paranoid more than he, but I think we will never know how the card became a PSA 6.5 if it is so. I think the theory of a surface crease may be the possibility here. It would be a shame if SGC won't re-holder it the same as before and although all of our dreams would be to own it, I doubt it is ever sold again being that he would be quite net negative in it.

I have mentioned this several times before, but I don't want to be on the negative end when this sucker really pops at PSA 8.5-10 so let's root some other card popped the 6.5 and that just further strengthened their feel on this card being the best they have ever saw. They have held it to collect the insurance coverage and to maximize their fees from seller before pop is exposed and we will see our very first PSA GEM MINT 10. xD

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have done a lot of business over the years with a dealer that I was told used to work for PSA. He reads the boards and now that we can see the view count it's quite obvious there are a lot of lurkers. I still think it is likely that some do as anyone who wants to be a card grader you would think has an interest in the hobby. I know for fact a few customer service reps I have dealt with do.

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@garnettstyle said:
    I can't believe the op posted this thread before the pop. Talk about stupid.

Looking at those 71's never gets old.

Mullins5 said:
    The real gamble is posting this for the graders / PSA to see prior to them receiving it.

The above comments just don't jive well with me. Are you suggesting what someone posts on a message board would affect the grading of their cards? I trust that PSA has enough integrity and ethics to not let a post affect how they judge a piece of cardboard.

Not even sure why people who earn a living grading cards at PSA would be reading this message board. Kind of like Cakes said, if the integrity was so low at PSA that a message board post would influence a grade on a four to five figure card, we wouldn't be sending them our business.

• Options

It's a major stretch to think it would influence the graders opinion. I was only suggesting they might be aware that a beautiful Munson was coming in to be graded soon.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Clarification: no chance it influenced the grade.

Could someone who works at PSA have seen it? Sure.

Was the person who saw it someone who decided the grade and then purposefully tanked it? No chance.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would SGC reholder a cracked out card? If they regrade hopefully it comes out consistent as an SGC 96. If they start reholdering cracked out cards the value of cards in their holder will quickly diminish. The market prefers PSA cards at the moment. If collectors could crack out risk free and switch the cards to PSA very few true high grade cards would remain in SGC holders. I personally like SGC and have a higher percentage than most in SGC holders. I believe they do a great job at assigning grades. The consensus that without a crackout PSA will not fairly review a card is why there are still plenty of beautiful high grade SGC cards. If SGC begins reholdering cards that have been cracked out it would be suicide for the company.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

The secretstash opinion regarding the possibility of a small surface imperfection could hold water. I have an otherwise exceptional vintage card which fits the description due to a tiny ripple extending from a border on the reverse side of the card. It is graded PSA EX-MT+ 6.5
    The other aspect I noticed about the card is the speckling on the front surface in the black border around the photo. I could speculate that this might be a contributing factor, but probably not enough to drop the grade so low. It's entirely possible that SGC saw this flaw as the only degrading factor of the card in its entirety.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP has been logged in here on the forums earlier today. Hopefully, he will provide an update or some further information.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

I would say It's just human nature to give cracked out cards a little more scutiny. And there is a small line on the top right corner on the back.

• Options

Authentic grew by population of 1 today from 15 to 16. Maybe he had a min grade he never mentioned and had them holder authentic if missed? It just popped on there today so I guess it could be the 6.5 changed to authentic from his request, but the 6.5 pop didn't drop.

• Options
    edited February 2, 2017 5:49PM

@MrHockey said:
    Clarification: no chance it influenced the grade.

Could someone who works at PSA have seen it? Sure.

Was the person who saw it someone who decided the grade and then purposefully tanked it? No chance.

@Dpeck100 said:
    It's a major stretch to think it would influence the graders opinion. I was only suggesting they might be aware that a beautiful Munson was coming in to be graded soon.

I'm not sure I agree there is zero chance it influenced a grade. Do I think a key grader knew about it by reading here himself, no because its terrible odds. If it did somehow make its way through the office conversation grapevine because someone did read it then I do think it could influence PSA. No one would question if they scrutinized a crossover from SGC so why does a card cracked out that came from an SGC 96 holder seem to be impossible? I think there is more than a possibility if the grading team/grader knew about it. We fear everything else influencing these people so why would a thread be something they ignore? The attraction this thread has had since "cracked out" is pretty high so I do in fact think if someone at PSA did see it that they would talk about it and it might become a virtual SGC crossover review from within a card saver.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if the thread would have any influence, but I can't believe the card itself doesn't matter. We have all noticed that PSA is brutally hard on 71's and 75's. When a card of that caliber comes in, my assumption is more than one grader will look it over. AND it will be very highly scrutinized. The thought process most likely being, "why wasn't this card already in a holder, and was it cracked out of another, and why ". IMO it is just human nature for a grader to wonder why a card that nice is raw.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Not sure when the "6" showed up as being added, but I did have a PSA 6 graded about 3 weeks ago on the 71 Munson.

• Options
    seablasterseablaster Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

"The suspense is terrible! I hope it'll last."

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I believe graders do frequent the message board and if this was seen then this is essentially a crossover sub. I'm rooting that the OP at least makes his money back here.

I also think that a card of this caliber would be flagged, viewed by more than the normal two graders, and possibly even get the approval of Joe O. before leaving PSA.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

this turned out to be a 1971 Topps thread , that being said , someone sell me a Carew 1971 PSA 9 ill give my PSA 8 and money.
    Also, I think labeling the discussion "SUCCESFULLY" cracked ..may have jinxed the grading.... if it turned out a PSA 6 , I do not think it was successful.
    But maybe it turns out a PSA 9 !!! who knows
    Nothing is successful until you receive the card back ...lol.

• Options

No change in the higher grade pops.

• Options

2- PSA 6's were added overnight. Maybe we still haven't popped? PSA is busy writing an article for the first PSA 10 pop. :smiley:

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2017 7:17AM

@secretstash said:
    2- PSA 6's were added overnight. Maybe we still haven't popped? PSA is busy writing an article for the first PSA 10 pop. :smiley:

Let's hope..
    although we're past a week for a 1 business day walk threw.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

I called PSA the other day regarding my collectors club that is now on business day 15, customer service is saying that they are swamped right now on all orders even express.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    I called PSA the other day regarding my collectors club that is now on business day 15, customer service is saying that they are swamped right now on all orders even express.

Explosive financial performance for the holding company reported this morning.

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif., Feb. 02, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Collectors Universe,
    Inc. (NASDAQ:CLCT), a leading provider of value-added authentication and
    grading services to dealers and collectors of high-value collectibles, today
    announced record financial results for its second quarter and first half of
    fiscal year 2017.

Operational and Financial Highlights:

• Revenues in the second quarter increased by $5.2 million, or 41%, to a
      quarterly record of $17.9 million from $12.6 million in last year’s second
      quarter. That increase was driven by a $4.7 million, or 57%, increase in coin
      service revenues and a $0.5 million, or 15%, increase in cards and autograph
      service revenues. For the first half of fiscal 2017, revenues increased by
      $6.4 million, or 23%, to a first half record of $33.6 million. That increase
      was driven by a $5.4 million, or 30% increase in coin service revenues and a
      $1.0 million, or 13%, increase in cards and autograph service revenues. The
      coin revenue increases included increases of $3.1 million, or 547%, and $3.5
      million, or 317%, in revenues in China, in the second quarter and first half,
      respectively.

• Coin service revenues generated by our overseas operations, which are
      inclusive of the China revenues discussed above, increased by $3.2 million, or
      306%, to $4.3 million, or 24%, of total revenues in this year’s second
      quarter, from $1.1 million, or 8%, of total revenues in last year’s second
      quarter. For the first half of the year, coin revenues from our overseas
      operations increased by $3.8 million, or 194%, to $5.8 million, or 17%, of
      total revenues, from $2.0 million, or 7%, of total revenues in last year’s
      first half.

• The gross profit margin was 64% and 62% in this year’s second quarter and
      first half, as compared to 60% and 63% in the corresponding periods of the
      prior year. The improved gross profit margin in this year’s second quarter
      reflects changes in the mix of revenues and the overall increase in revenues
      in the quarter.

• Operating income was a record $4.5 million and $7.3 million in this year’s
      second quarter and first half, as compared to $1.7 million and $4.9 million in
      the corresponding periods of the prior year. Our operating margins increased
      to 25% and 22% in this year’s second quarter and first half, reflecting
      improved operating leverage as revenues increased.

• Income from continuing operations was $2.9 million, or $0.34 per diluted
      share, and $4.5 million, or $0.53 per diluted share, in this year’s second
      quarter and first six months as compared to $1.0 million, or $0.12 per diluted
      share, and $2.9 million or $0.34, per share, in the corresponding periods of
      the prior year.

• The Company’s cash position as of December 31, 2016 was $10.1 million, as
      compared to $12.0 million at June 30, 2016 and $10.3 million at September 30,

1. Net cash used of $1.9 million in the first six months included $5.4
      million of cash generated from continuing operations, offset by $6.0 million
      used to pay cash dividends to stockholders, $1.1 million used for capital
      expenditures and capitalized software costs and $0.2 million used for
      discontinued operations.
    • On January 10, 2017, the Company obtained a three year $10 million unsecured
      revolving line of credit from a commercial bank. Based on the Company’s
      financial performance over the 4 quarters ended December 31, 2016, we are
      entitled to borrow $10 million under the line of credit.

• On January 23, 2017, we announced our quarterly cash dividend of $0.35 per
      share, which will be paid on February 24, 2017 to stockholders of record on
      February 15, 2017.
      Commentary and Outlook

Robert Deuster, Chief Executive Officer, stated, “I am very pleased with the
    performance of our Company this last quarter and the first half of fiscal
    2017. Our results and year to date momentum reflects our customers continued
    preference for our authentication and grading services and indicates very
    positive results from our investments in China and our capacity to serve
    customers in the US, across all our businesses. As I look forward to the
    second half of our fiscal year, I continue to see a positive market
    environment due to the recent release of the 2017 coins in the US and in China
    and due to our expanded capacity to serve customers, as well as maintaining
    our leadership position in authenticating and grading vintage collectibles.”

• Options

NOTHING!!!!!

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Very impressive ramp-up in China.

With regard to the Munson, I am getting an unsettling feeling that, unlike some massages, there will not be a happy ending.

I hope I am wrong and wish the OP good luck, but the lack of an update is probably not a good sign.

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I think OP should chime in and give us an update.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

@Dpeck100 said: Explosive financial performance for the holding company reported this morning.

Thus the reason CLCT has gained back this morning what it recently lost ... and more. Up over 10% and at a new 52 week high. KEEP GOING!!!!! lol

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Up over 17% right now. Huge move higher.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wrestlingcardking said:

I think it's more likely this has caused the holdup instead of it grading a 6.5.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:
    this turned out to be a 1971 Topps thread , that being said , someone sell me a Carew 1971 PSA 9 ill give my PSA 8 and money.
    Also, I think labeling the discussion "SUCCESFULLY" cracked ..may have jinxed the grading.... if it turned out a PSA 6 , I do not think it was successful.
    But maybe it turns out a PSA 9 !!! who knows
    Nothing is successful until you receive the card back ...lol.

Maybe the gloating was enough for someone that owned a high-grade Munson to email this thread directly to the PSA graders, LOL

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@Dboneesq said:

@Dpeck100 said: Explosive financial performance for the holding company reported this morning.

Thus the reason CLCT has gained back this morning what it recently lost ... and more. Up over 10% and at a new 52 week high. KEEP GOING!!!!! lol

Yes, please:) on CLCT

So as to keep with the original purpose of the thread, I will add my well wishes to the OP for a winning grade

Steve
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

i feel like we all got munson'ed out in the middle of no where.

@seablaster said:
    "The suspense is terrible! I hope it'll last."

and well played on the wonka line.

• Options

can someone file this under the "told ya so" section please?

@muffins said:
    ive done a ton of 1 and 2 day services and the biggest bet he's placed, imo, is expecting the grade this week.

you know they'll make you stew over the weekend...wouldnt be as much fun if they didnt.

at least its not a holiday weekend! ; )

• Options

Yanked.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@muffins said:
    can someone file this under the "told ya so" section please?

@muffins said:
    ive done a ton of 1 and 2 day services and the biggest bet he's placed, imo, is expecting the grade this week.

you know they'll make you stew over the weekend...wouldnt be as much fun if they didnt.

at least its not a holiday weekend! ; )

Have you ever had the 1-day service extend through the entire following week, though?

OP indicated it was logged on the 26th.

I am still hoping for the best. The lack of update from the OP is the most troublesome.

If the OP didn't have a history of legitimate posts, I would be beginning to speculate that he had out-Jennied Jenny.

• Options

yes. and more times than not, actually.

(seriously)

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@muffins said:
    yes. and more times than not, actually.

(seriously)

Seems like there isn't much point in using higher service levels except for insurance purposes. Half the time 50-day specials seem to be done in the same time as express.

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Maybe the card did get a "10" and they are keeping everything quiet, including the grade, until they write up a story for SMR?

• Options
    edited February 4, 2017 11:00AM

like someone else stated, the turnaround times are solely "estimates".

especially for reviews, there really isnt a choice when it comes to the declared value. i could see slipping past a $12k card on the $9999 or under scale, but for the big ones, especially when you dont want karma kicking ya back, its best to just pay for the "walk thru" service. after all, even w/ a 3 for 15 batting average, those 3 were worth all the fees combined and then some. and then a whole lot more.

now, first time it didnt get "walked thru" and get the grade the same day it logged, naturally one would be pissed...esp when ya dont hit. but then when the 2nd one is logged in on a tues and doesnt pop til the following wed, you arent as shocked and start to get numb...esp when that one does hit.

if anything the term "walk thru" should be changed to "stroll thru" or to a term that isnt associated or apply to "same day service".

now, op actually did a crack out, sent raw and did a walk thru, basically signaling attention bc i can garauntee that the grader doesnt see many cards of such a recent nature across his desk at that threshold. a wagner? the lucky 7? even a 52t 311? of course. but not many 71t's.

which is why stated that i liked the move in my first post. it was two testicular moves, back to back.

regardless of the grade, i'd like to hang w op for night of drinks and such at the backroom of the bellagio.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread has all the elements of a CU cliffhanger, lol..

I do find it odd that the OP has not posted not only in this thread, but in any thread over the past week, even though he has been here each day.

Hoping for a positive result soon enough..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Maybe the OP was asked to refrain from participating. I could see this being a big "hush" job by all parties involved.

• Options

I too am looking forward to the results & hearing from O.P., but I trust he'll post when he's good & ready.

In the meantime it's back to keeping an eye on the pop reports lol

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

Bidders seem legit

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Confused by the term "HOF issues" in the description. Munson is not a member of the baseball Hall of Fame. What is a HOF issue? Is this referring to something else I am not familiar with.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2017 8:54AM

This is the same one that sold for 30k. https://www.pwccauctions.com/item.php?item_no=1287176

@Dboneesq said:

@brad31 said:
    Is it really 5x value between a PSA9 and an SGC 96? Is that a general rule or specific to this card?

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 9 - Average Price: $30,100.00
    Date Auction Link Seller Buyer Bids Price Extra
    5/15/16 eBay Image pwcc_auctions i***0 65 $30,100.00
    8/20/15 Heritage Image 8 $21,510.00

I was wondering why they said this is the first they have sold because I remembered the 30k one was through PWCC. So this must be a return? Did someone try to bump it and then returned or something else???

• Options

The OP may be one of those undercover spies working for SGC. Conspiracy theory or not. We must wait.
    Don't worry guys- the OP is this guy (the one with the big sack) to even attempt this crackout

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Not so nice centering both front and back on that card, would expect better from a 9. And no way would I pay $30k.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Confused by the term "HOF issues" in the description. Munson is not a member of the baseball Hall of Fame. What is a HOF issue? Is this referring to something else I am not familiar with.

The card was 'issued' by Topps in 1971, and the seller mistakenly thinks that Munson is in the HOF. So, he said the card is a (Topps) 'HOF issue'.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭