Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Doug,

You have more patience than I do... I once started a collection ages ago in
    small cacheted ANACS holders in XF 45... thinking I'd have no problem, other
    than affording the Key Dates. After about a year and only a dozen nice quarters
    later, I decided to give it up. Sold off the common dated coins and never looked back.

Some of those Seated Quarters just do not exist in XF 45 - let alone in small cachet
    ANACS holders. It seems as though, most of these holders have been cracked out
    and coins have been crossed. I have a few Seated Quarters left, but are part of my
    Grandparent's Birth Year collections { 1889 & 1891 }....and every so often, I pick up
    a MS example - so I have an assortment of nicely toned coins in various MS grades.
    Have never found an 1891-O in a grade I could afford in any MS grade.

On another brighter point, at least for me:

I have been studying a common dated Proof Dime of 1898 in a lowly grade,
    PR 62 CAM. I decided to pull the trigger last night. It looks nicer than a 62 -
    maybe all of a 63 { LOL} Heck, its just a pretty little coin and very flashy.
    All I'm trying to do is assemble a Proof Dime Collection with attractive coins.
    {Without breaking the bank.}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW: the 1904-O recently posted is really nice - congrats. Its one of those dates
    that { once again } I have an Heir and a Spare [ 58 & 55 ] - one of which came
    out of the Paesan Stash.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I like the new dime. I hadn't thought about looking for Proof Dimes; they may be a good value?

Lenny sure has a lot of great looking quarters. I finally got around to taking photos of a few of my quarters; here's my '16 D PC 58:

This was a raw find from eBay. A very common date with a few marks on the cheek, but it has nice luster and color. Not good enough for Lenny's set, but good enough for mine.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    A Paesan coin comes to Colorado

image[/URL]

image[/URL]
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Good looking cameo proof dime.

Jeff - You have the magic touch in dealing with our hosts. And you pose a very interesting question about value and proof dimes. Or value and any coin. It seems to me the meaning of value differs with each collector. Some collectors think if they acquire a coin for 20 back of bid that the coin is a bargain and as such is a good value. Other collectors think that if they find the original semi-key with no problems and the perfect look that has been eluding their collection for several years, but pay double retail, that the coin will give them such a pleasure and sense of accomplishment, that they will consider it a good value. What a great hobby.

Joe - Congratulations on the good looking newp.

Pics for this AM, a coin with good value (IMO), at more than double retail, PC55:

Thank you Doug, for allowing it to come back home. Thank you Dennis, for selling it to me in the first place.
    Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, another toughie that has moved to Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the TrueView images of this Top Pop 1892-O 25C Clashed Dies FS-901 PCGS MS64 yesterday. There are two others attributed, both AU55, I have one with CAC and the other sold on Tuesday at HA.com for a pitiful price of $160 plus juice.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    oih82w8 - nice clash on that 92-O - the ribbon on the back of her neck is very obvious.
    I have learned that very minor varieties do not sell for very much - usually no more than
    a normal variety. If the coin were a 58, then you'd have gotten a premium. Personally, I
    would have been estatic to have found these ( FS-901). Congrats overall.

Dude: thanks for continuing to post choice coins from the Stash. Talk about anyone having
    "The Heir and The Spare" it's Paesan. Beautiful coins abound.

Need to open up the albums and see which coins need to be sent to the Bean Factory.
    Most likely the newps, but I have lots of others that I thought were not worthy of a CAC
    sticker, but, it may be worth my while to at least try .... as Vern has said: "It's a crap shoot" !!

Nothing new... Put in two BO's at eBay, one rejected, and the other countered but they both
    wanted high premium prices for lower end MS coins. Nice looking, but a 62 shouldn't sell for
    65, IMHO. The toning was pretty, but not WOWZA !! I stretched on both and refused to
    pay another red cent. Their loss, I'll see the same coins next month and the month after that
    and my next offer will be far less than the most recent ones.

I had a very pleasant conversation this past weekend with Cornhusker - who is in the Everyman's
    Set of Halves, I believe in position #2, right behind Darrell. He contacted Steve Feltner of Americana
    Rare Coins ( Glenn's business partner ) as he read my article in the BCCS journal for this Spring's issue.
    It seems as though many of the coins in his set came out of my collection which sold in 2011. He read
    off a list of at least a dozen coins once owned by yours truly. He is also a firm believer in the Heir and the
    Spare theory. He has an amazing collection of AU Halves in 55 as well as 58 and many duplicates included.
    He has not sent any 58's in (as yet ) for the "Cherry On Top" Plus grade, but he will. We chatted for the better
    part of an hour, but the time flew by. He sounded like a really nice guy who loves his Barber Halves. He's
    never been to a major coin show; he should make FUN in January, if he makes any show. Not many high brow
    shows in Nebraska, that's for sure.

Anyone going to Chicago for Central States ? I need someone to eye a couple of coins before
    I throw in a bid on a couple of Dimes. BTW: my Die Cap 1895-O Dime is at auction at Central
    States. I resold it to Andy Lustig ( from whom I bought it originally ) and I believe he sold it
    to an error dealer who consigned it. I'll be very curious if it sells at all. The reserve will be strong.

Last note: Thanks to all who've inquired about my Doberman "Ginja" who had spinal surgery last
    Month. She getting better every day. She's back to her old self again, and I have not as yet brought
    her to the Naples Dog Park. Her surgeon said not to bring her for two months and we have another
    three weeks to go. She's anxious I can tell you.

Happy hunting.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    oih8 - That's a bold clash. Congrats on the top pop.

Mike - I'll be at Central States. If you'd like me to look at some auction lots, please let me know. Glad to hear that your "Ginja" is recovering well.

Pics for this AM, beauty from Doug's collection that is finding a new home in the Atlanta area, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Spent a couple hours today at the Baltimore show today. I picked up my 93-O from Darrell and walked away with a 1906-O. Which I found out a little later was one I once owned before. No wonder I liked it. Also, I got to see Darrell's newest 58+. Thanks again Darrell, and sorry I didn't make it back to your table before we left.

Unfortunately, in the short time I was there, I did not see anyone manning the BCCS table. I was really looking forward to seeing "the pair" in person. I won't divulge what they were, (I'll leave that up to Darrell if he would like} but I was really excited to see them. image

I was actually surprised by the number of people with nice circulated half dollars. Except for Darrell's table, it's not to often you see a 93-S half in 35 and another in 55 at dealer tables you rarely see them at. Foot traffic felt a little light compared to the last spring show I was at on a Friday. I only was tripped and bumped into by roll behind suitcases 15 times this year. image Even the PCGS table(s) seemed to be a bit vacant of activity. But like I said, I was only there for a couple hours so the sample size if limited. At least I came home with two really nice half dollars.
  • Options
    Justin - Congrats on the Baltimore acquisition (and pick-up). Look forward to pics.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash from Doug's set. Rare center MM. PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    A couple of new raw Barbers arrived in the mail this week, First up, a 1915 D Quarter:

I'm hoping this will grade as a 55, but I may be a bit optimistic.

Next, a 1900 Half:

imageimage
    This one looks MS to me, perhaps a 63?

Both will make their way to our hosts for grading in a few weeks.

• Options
    Jeff...

The 1915 Quarter has been in a baking soda bath and
    rinsed off. I recognize that silvery tint. JMHO.

The 1900 Half was dipped and is retoning nicely.
    I don't think it's MS, as there is something going
    on at her neck. Without the coin in hand, it's hard
    to tell. Regardless, I'd think it would grade AU 58.
    If the Trade Winds are blowing just right off the Coast
    of California, you might even get a Plus "+".....
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justin, It was nice seeing you and am not surprised you owned that 06-O before. Not sure if I bought it from you. Many half's are starting to duplicate and triplicate in my sales records!

The pair Justin is talking about is a couple of Barber Half Love Tokens. I had never seen 1 before and bam! Bought to within a week or 2 of each other. One was a button! John was going to take pictures of them for the journal but dropped the ball this time. Perhaps I can email him some pictures.

So many nice coins have been posted since I last wrote....all I can say is sweet!

The Baltimore show was off a bit, but great for my set as Justin noted I added another +...1912-S!

DRUM ROLL!

Still DRUM ROLLING!

Badda BOOM BADDA BOOM!

I took the chance and my 97-O which was formerly a 55 is now a 58!!!!!!

YEAH!!! My set is now all 58 with 15 +'s!
  • Options
    Congrats, Darrell. Getting your 97-O into a 58 holder is MAJOR !!!

Here's Darrell's 1897-O [ ex: PCGS 55 ] Now: PCGS 58

Now, I wonder what would have happened to my 55...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff - Good luck with the submission, I wouldn't be surprised if you get the grades mentioned.

Darrell - Congratulations on reaching your goal. All 58's or 58+'s is quite a testament to your dedication and perserverence. Also, would like to see pics of your barber love tokens. Yours are the first I've heard of.

Pics for this AM, a half that used to be mine, wonder if it's a 58 now:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Mike,Your's has quite a strike!

Verne, I will take pictures of the love tokens. I think that scrape would hold that 93-S back.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

I took the chance and my 97-O which was formerly a 55 is now a 58!!!!!!

Congrats, Darrell! I assume you cracked out the '97 O and submitted it raw?

Next goal for you is an entire 58+ set; the only thing left! image

• Options
    Jeff, almost the same. I sent it in for regrade(cracked out and sent in as a new submission), not reconsideration. You still retain the grade guarantee but risk a downgrade. Funny thing for me is when I sent the coin in for reconsideration PCGS couldda scarfed another several hundred dollars from me if they had upgraded it then.

At this point I don't think a 58+ set is possible complete. But time will tell!

I tried to quote you but the software threw up errors! Glad I copied it! Here is my reply Jeff:

Jeff, almost the same. I sent it in for regrade(cracked out and sent in as a new submission), not reconsideration. You still retain the grade guarantee but risk a downgrade. Funny thing for me is when I sent the coin in for reconsideration PCGS couldda scarfed another several hundred dollars from me if they had upgraded it then.

At this point I don't think a 58+ set is possible complete. But time will tell!

• Options
    Now my last post really has me scratching my head! image
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Darrell- great looking 97-O, you guys sure have the eye for upgrades.
  • Options
    Any of the BCCS guys going to the Central States in Schaumburg this month, Vern if you are attending, is there a BCCS meeting there?

• Options
    Now my last post really has me scratching my head! image

You lost me, Darrell.

If you cracked it out of the 55 holder,
    its impossible to send it in for reconsideration.

You submitted a raw coin [ previously a 58 ]
    and hit the jackpot, you got a "+". Consider
    yourself lucky, the strike on that 97-O wasn't
    all that good. You could have gotten a 55, just
    as easily.

As Barberkeys has told me all along - its a crap
    shoot - as is sending in to the Bean Factory.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: daveyn
    Any of the BCCS guys going to the Central States in Schaumburg this month, Vern if you are attending, is there a BCCS meeting there?

Dave....

I just spoke with John Frost, the new President of the BCCS.
    There will be no Club Table set up at Central States. John said
    that Vern Sebby and Dave Earp will be there and will inquire
    about getting a meeting room for educational discussion purposes,
    for next year.

Dave...I hope you have a great time at Central States. I've never been.
    I hate to say this, but with all the shows and the frequency of shows, I
    only go to the ones within a few hours drive. Living in SW Florida, I make
    all the FUN shows and the Sarasota shows.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Thanks Mike,
    I was planning on the last FUN show, but had to cancel for health reasons. My brother is in charge of the Big Cats at Animal Kingdom there in Florida, gave him my word I would make it down there for the next FUN.

Coincidentally, I just got an email from Dave Earp, met him last year here in St. Louis. He's the only other BCCS member other than Vern that I have met, looking forward to seeing some of you guys at FUN.

One of my latest:

• Options
    BTW! Thanks everyone for the congradulations! The only thing left now is the hunt for the elusive Plus grades.

I added pictures to my registry of my latest plus grades. The 1903-O and 1912-S. For some reason my camera is starting to really pick up on the cedar walls in my office. Never had a problem before but the 12-S is blast white and a total luster bomb! The 03-O is pretty accurate.

Mike I was scratching my head because when I tried to quote I got the error message. When I pasted it to quick reply and submitted it posted my message twice in the same post!

Let's clear up the confusion on my 97-O submission. I did not crack the coin out but it was submitted the same as if I had. When a coin is submitted under regrade PCGS cracks the coin out and it goes to the graders as a raw coin. This way the coin is still covered by the grade guarantee. Under Reconsideration the coin goes to the graders in the holder.

Mike...Unless the strike is horrid I have never seen a coin held back on grade until the 65 level. That is why some Morgan's and Peace Dollars have such a huge spread between 64 and 65. My true gamble was if they decided to call the coin a 62. Then I would be left with a 45 in my set! There was no way I could see this coin coming back in a lesser grade or a bodybag.

Verne, I emailed Justin pictures of the Love Tokens. Hopefully I am not wearing out my welcome getting Justin to post pictures for me. It is truly appreciated Justin!

Dave, Nice addition! When are you going to start a registry set?
  • Options
    Darrell-

A smart way to submit your '97 O; the only real risk was $32.

You have one thing left to do before you start looking for more + coins; you need to replace your AU 55 '97 O with a 58!

Dave, you do have a bunch of nice coins; I would like to see them in a Registry set as well! The great thing about FUN is there are so many members from this thread there. Next January it's in Ft. Lauderdale, however- not Orlando. I hope you can make it!

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are the pictures of the Love tokens. They are really cool. I can never decipher the lettering though.

Congrats on your 97-O upgrade, Darrell.

• Options
    Jeff! My 55 will disappear when PCGS enters everything from the show. I can't enter my 58 until it is in the system. Knawing on fingernails out of curiosity as to how many points it will improve my set! BTW It cost me $135! image or should that be image

Justin, thanks for the pic's and the congrats! I can't ever figure out the letters either! If anyone can please enlighten us!
  • Options
    Looking at the obverse of the 1906 Half that's a NASTY piece of love.

Darrell- I guess we can all wait. Hurry up PCGS.

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: daveyn
    Thanks Mike,
    I was planning on the last FUN show, but had to cancel for health reasons. My brother is in charge of the Big Cats at Animal Kingdom there in Florida, gave him my word I would make it down there for the next FUN.

FUN is a great show. Should definitely try to make it, though the next one is in Ft. Lauderdale, not Orlando. Tell your brother to get the lions out more! I'm at Animal Kingdom at least once a month and they're usually sleeping. The cheetahs are hardly ever out.

Some cool barbers always being posted. image
  • Options
    I'll be sure to tell him, I met him last year in Cincinnati at their zoo, he picked out a few wild dogs to take back to the Kingdom.

Jeff, Darrell-I started my Registry set a while back #26 now, got a few coins in it from you guys here on the forum. Vern got me hooked a few years ago at the Central States show, started with XF only and morphed into AU's, funny how that works.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1906--JKS

1892--EG or GE, turn 90 degrees.

IMO.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: HoledandCreative

1906--JKS

1892--EG or GE, turn 90 degrees.

IMO.

Looks like you nailed it to me!

• Options
    Dave - I will be at Central States, but there will not be a BCCS table or meeting. Perhaps next year. Nice 13-D acquisition, by the way.

Darrell & Justin - Thanks for posting the love token pics. They are the first two barber half love tokens I've seen (or heard of, for that matter).

Holed - Thanks.

Pics for this late AM, my friend Elmo decided to pick a toughie for his type coin, PC55. From Doug's collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I was able to add my 97-O today. My set score is now 59.16!
  • Options

It can't be true - the pop count for the '97 O in 58 stands at 5 on the Pop Count charts. PCGS would NEVER make a mistake. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

It can't be true - the pop count for the '97 O in 58 stands at 5 on the Pop Count charts. PCGS would NEVER make a mistake. image

They are still updating after the show. They hadn't removed the 55 from my set yet. I suspect all will be in order tomorrow!

• Options
    Darrell - Congratulations, there can't be too many above 59 in other series.

Pics for this AM, tough date from Jim's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern....

That's a great 1898-O in 45 out of Jim's collection.
    Should be a 45+...... Is there such a thing ?

PM sent re: Heritage 1893-S Quarter and the 1896- Phila Quarters.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - I bet Darrell has a few 45+'s. PM sent.

Pics for this AM, my 98-O qtr, acquired about 8 years ago from Jon Rosenthal (tonelover), PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Verne, I do not have any 45+'s. I sold the 1st 45+ graded for Larry. It was a 93-O that I felt should have been graded a 50! I suppose I couldda bought it and added to my 45 set so I would pass the other 45 set in the registry! image
  • Options

Vern...great looking 98-O ... I use to work with Jon Rosenthal, he seems to have
    disappeared from the Numismatic world !!

Darrell.... Good to know that there is a 45+ floating around.
    ...lol, you might just package up the 45 set and try for a few +'s
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, There are 3 45+'s graded now! When I sold Larry's it was the only one!
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern: 98-O ...a higher end for the date with a good look.

Finally, a new acquisition (Doug via Vern): PC55

Craig

• Options
    Darrell - I'm guessing if you sent your 45 set in you'd get 6-10 plusses.

Mike - My understanding was Jon sold his collection, barber and standing liberty qtrs as far as I knew, to help with a down payment on a house. Not too long after that he left Rare Coins of New Hampshire to work in something other than numismatics. He had some really nice coins.

Craig - Glad to help break your dry spell with one from Doug's collection.

Pics for this AM, to this date my favorite looking MS barber quarter, which also happened to come from Jon Rosenthal, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I've had a pretty good run in the grading room at PCGS, but my luck has finally run out. I sent my best AU 58 Halves to the grading room for "+" evaluation only. There were 3 proof like coins in the bunch that I thought were a lock. Others looked like they could pass for a 63. None of them earned the coveted "+" designation; I have 11 coins being returned in the same holder.

Of course I blame Darryl; he used up all the plus grades- there aren't any left. image

• Options
    Jeff - I'd suggest sending the same 11 coins in a few months from now. 2 or 3 will fetch a plus. One must feed the machine.

Pics for this AM, now a spare in the Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern-

That's quite a nice spare '13 Quarter.

I don't want to spend another $400 to get a blue PCGS box; I'm going to hold off for now on the plus upgrade game. I think that $400 would be better used to upgrade the coins below the 58 threshold. Maybe some day I'll try again, but for today I'll just sulk knowing my coins "aren't worthy".

• Options
    Jeff! No one has figured out the rhyme or reason for the + grade! At least I haven't! Wouldn't surprise me if you sent others in that you don't think will plus end up getting the + grade. Some of mine did! I have 20 in now. Liz thinks 6 have a shot. I think I will be lucky if I get 1! I also think if PCGS thinks upon review if the coins should be MS they will not award a + grade. I have several that meet this opinion of mine and have not received a plus grade. If there was ever a + it is my 1892! Twice failed and a lessor one in now that D Kahn says if there is a plus this is a plus! He said the same about the coin in my set!
  • Options
    I have decided to wait until Valente151 arrives late May to image some coins for me,
    before I send off any 58's to PCGS for Plus Grades.

So, what's the deal again ? Submit for Reconsideration ? Not regrade ?
    That way any CAC coins retain the stickers. ? Am I right ?

My Halves are mostly sub 58.... The rest of the series have a majority of 58's.
    This could be an expensive proposition getting Plusses ... I feel Jeff's frustration
    and have a gut feeling most of my 58's won't "+" either.

Heard from an old friend today, Tom Breivogel - who used to post here frequently.
    He's been lurking and has been dabbling in Barbers ... He just picked up a nice
    1901-S Half in PCGS 45 and a 1912-S Nickel also in PCGS 45. Looking forward to
    those images, Tom.

Anyone pick up anything at Stacks last week ? Didn't bid on anything. Sorry to say.
    I spotted two Dimes coming up at Central States that I want... a fellow Member of
    The BCCS will preview them for me.

I used up some eBay bucks before they expired - and I have forgotten this before too -
    so, I bid on a very nice 1901 V Nickel in PCGS 63 CAC ( upgrade for my AU 58. )

Plus, I bought off Collectors Corner here at PCGS - a very attractive 1905-S Dime
    in PCGS 58. This is destined for the Every Man Collection.
    ( I have an amazing MS 64 already ).

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file