Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I am glad to hear another collector has re-entered the ring. If it's who I think it is, I have his old 01-O. A coin I am proud to own.
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - Thanks, the spare 1913 belongs to Paesan and may well be available. And I agree, my personal collecting practice has to been to spend my money on coins not grading fees, as much as possible.

Darrell - It certainly is the luck of the draw, isn't it?

Mike - Very glad to hear that we may have a returnee. Welcome, Tom, hope some posts may be in the offing. And congrats on the newps Mike.

Pics for this AM, the coin that allowed Doug and I to make each other's acquaintances, and now a newp in Paesan's Stash, now PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Justin, I handled the sale of Tom's halves a few years ago. I didn't keep those records
    ...after I sold all I could, I remembered consigning them to auction. You might have
    gotten your 01-O from me. I bought a few of his coins as well.

That 06-O Quarter ( ex: Doug, Vern ) now resides with Paesan and is a wonderful coin;
    love the look. I did some reading out of the newer Bowers book on Barbers... He mentioned
    that the 06-O Quarter is hands down the worst struck date among all the Quarters !
    Usually flat OBV strikes. That one that Lenny just received from our Mid-Western Guys,
    is surely then, an exception, as its a good strike.

Last week, I spotted a 1903-S Dime in PCGS 55 on Vic & Sherri Bozarth's web site. Considering
    I have been hunting for an AU since 1996, I saw one for sale. I called them, left a voice mail,
    I emailed them ... Only to receive the bad news that they sold it at Baltimore. I was crushed.
    My first set had a MS 63 or so... My current set has a decent XF 40. I just wanted a nice AU.
    I saw on Collectors Corner at PCGS - that Liz of JJ Teaparty had one in AU 55.... I called her
    immediately... I was so excited, I missed the "Details" in the description. Crushed, again !!

Well today, I got a call from Liz, seems she now had another 03-S Dime, also in AU 55 - and -
    not a Details Graded one. I said...whoa, whoa, how many 03-S's are floating around ? I asked
    for the serial number, and well, it seems that Liz had bought the Bozarth coin. Needless to say,
    It's finally coming to Florida. I'm as excited at getting this as I was about my new 09-O AU 58
    Quarter.

This leaves just one Dime under AU 50 in my collection - and I spotted its replacement - but
    Vern needs to eye ball it for me. If I do get the one Vern's previewing for me, I can devote my
    energies to my "Low Man on the Totem Pole Proof Barber Dime Collection."

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    Logpotato-----------the cert number of my former 01-O was 1329433 VF25.

I still have three from my old set, 92-O, 02-O and 07
  • Options
    Yes, that's the one. You forgot a 1 on the end. Everytime I buy a half in a prongless holder I check to see if it came out of one the collections that were assembled and retired. That's the only one I have been able to trace so far. Mike, I bought it from David Kahn last year, so it must have traveled a little since you sold it.

This reminded me of something a dealer told me a few years ago. I can't remember specifics, but it was a show in Maryland. I want to say Timonium 2012 or '13 but it could have been a few others. Anyways, I stop at a dealers table, a guy I have seen at quite a few shows before but never really spoke with. He asked what I was looking for and I said mid-grade Barber Half dollars. He chuckled a bit and said he remembered a guy that used to have a PCGS set of well matched halves but was not sure what had happened to it. I assume it must have been your set given the proximity of the coin show to the location in your set name. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I always was curious if it was indeed your set.
  • Options
    Mike - Glad the 03-S dime ultimately made it your way. Looking forward to Central States.

Tom - Any particular reason why you kept those 3?

Pics for this AM, at a local show Sunday, a barber collector whose acquaintance I've only recently made, showed me his 04-O half. It was the virtual twin to mine, and was certainly nicer than anything on the floor for sale. Here's my PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Logpotato----I displayed my set at the New Market MD coin show several years back.

Barberkeys---I'll dig up some pics of those three with an explanation in the next few days. That is a REAL nice 04-O! They are hard to find with a decent strike.

I had to edit this--must proof read more image

• Options

Guess who's coming to "The West Coast of Florida" ?
    Thanks again, Lenny.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Tom - Thanks on the 04-O half. Look forward to your pics.

Mike - Congrats on the newp 1913. Tons of luster on it.

Pics for this AM, a 55 from Doug's set that I liked so much that it replaced my 63 (which I also liked a lot):

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Whoops, posted the wrong coin. This is the 55 that replaced my 63:

Doug's 10-D in the previous post replaced my 62, which now has returned to its happy home in Paesan's Stash.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked this dime up earlier this year and it finally made it under Phil's lens. It is too much for my Everyman Collection, just thought that I would share before it goes off to market.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Mike-Great looking quarter, I'm sure it will find a happy home with you.

Vern-if I understand you right, nice downgrade.

oih82w8- beautiful dime, fantastic color.

I've stashed away some Barber buying money for the upcoming Central States show, I have a question about the registry. Is there a printout available showing the points per coin/grade.
    I know I can do a "What If" and check the points but would be nice not to take all that time.

Dave

• Options
    Originally posted by: daveyn

I've stashed away some Barber buying money for the upcoming Central States show, I have a question about the registry. Is there a printout available showing the points per coin/grade.

I know I can do a "What If" and check the points but would be nice not to take all that time.

Dave

Yes, there are Set Compositions (points) for each Registry Set, here is the Barber Dime with Varieties Set link, not exactly points per grade, but points per date/mm (and variety if applicable);

Barber Dimes Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes (1892-1916) (Set Composition)

Grade points are normally associated with the grade itself.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Sure appreciate it, that helps out a lot, hope to be able to find a nice AU half at the show. I know there will be a few at JJ Teaparty's table, but usually have a tough time finding one I like. Have to hit ebay when I get back.

Thanks for the help,

Dave
  • Options
    Good luck at Central States, Dave.

Vern: My new 58 from Paesan replaces my 62 - Its
    been to consigned to the gals at JJ Teaparty.

Its a nice lusterous coin - as is the 58 - but unless its got tons of
    nice toning the low end MS are just pleasant coins. The 58's are
    [for the most part ] more compatible in my set.

Without letting the cat out of the bag too early - guess not as I just
    posted the 13-P in 58 .... here is my newp / dupe from "Dude"....also a 58 - CAC

OIH82W8: That is a magnificent 1892 Dime - love it !!!
    Thanks for sharing it....image

Just got my Best Offer Accepted - on eBay...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Tom's Coins

Above is the link to some photos I promised to post as well as a few other pieces. I was asked why I kept the 92-O, 02-O and 07 halves from my old set so here goes:

The 92-O is the best dirty one I've ever seen. I got it as an NGC XF40 and it crossed to XF45. I simply love it!

The 02-O came about when my ex-wife had her gallbladder and appendix removed. I got her home and tucked her in and logged on to Ebay and there it was---raw from John Franklin Coins.
    It had only been listed for about ten minutes. Timing is everything they say. Every time I look at it, I remember her writhing in pain. Oh the memories image

The 07 just has a fantastic look IMHO, and besides, I bought it from MFH and he's never getting it back! Go ahead Mike, beg all you want. image
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins Tom! Have the look I am a predator on! image
  • Options
    A handful of lovely circs, Tom. Maybe l'll see you at some of the local shows in the future.

Hate to wait, gorgeous dime.

Mike, you are a barber machine.

I agreed to a purchase yesterday that I am pretty pumped about. It will probably be a couple weeks until I have it in hand. It's a date that I have never owned in any grade and I can't wait to share it.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another self promotion of my Everyman Barber Half set. I recently picked up a nice raw '15 Half, it came back from our hosts in a AU 58 holder:

A decent upgrade for my set.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Justin-

You're finally taking the plunge on a '08 S Half? It's a tough coin to come by with nice surfaces.
  • Options
    Jeff. Congrats on the 15!
  • Options
    Jeff,

I like your new 1915 Half - but not as an AU 58 - more of an AU 55 - JMHO.
    Good looking coin, regardless.

Et Al:

I just upgraded another Dime, courtesy of DLRC:

( ....I have a nice 58 - in my Everyman set......)

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    oih8 - Wonderful eye appeal on your 1892, it should do well.

Dave - Thanks, I don't look at it as a downgrade as much as going from one coin I like to another I like a little bit better, that happens to be a lower technical grade. See you at Central States.

Mike - Very glad you like the 1896, and congrats on the newp proof dime. And the newp MS dime as well.

Tom - Your taste in the look of your coins is right up my alley, and I love the backgrounds. Thanks for sharing.

Justin - I look forward to hearing (and seeing) more about your new purchase.

Jeff - Congrats on the '15, both the acquisition and the grading.

Pics for this AM, in follow-up to Mike's and my comments about Jon Rosenthal, this is one of the few coins left from Doug's barber qtr collection, and it came from Jon. An under-rated date IMO, PC 58:

Interestingly, my 13-D also came from Jon and is also PC58. I like the look of mine just a tad better, but I'm sure that's just in the eye of the beholder . Any thoughts?

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern... I think I like the second 13-D you posted a bit more. I picked up my AU 58
    from Chris Dudzik, Manorcourtman, who mentioned that he hadn't seen another 13-D
    in 58 sold at auction in years. I'll edit this later with mine.

Seller's images:

Valente151's images:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

Justin-

You're finally taking the plunge on a '08 S Half? It's a tough coin to come by with nice surfaces.

Not an 08-S. I have owned one of those once before and shouldn't have sold it. A common theme for me.

• Options
    Vern-while both of the 13Ds look nice, the second has a lot more eye appeal as I see it, very pretty coin.

Mike-as I really struggle sometimes understanding the way the services grade coins, out of curiosity what exactly is it that makes you think Jeff's coin is only a 55.

Justin- the suspense is killing me, need to see a pic.

Dave

• Options
    Justin...How about a 97-O as my guess?

I also like the 2nd 13-D better!
  • Options
    I found that 1892 10C while surfing around looking for a nice AU58 example for Everyman Collection and I noticed the date and sure enough...RPD FS-302! This MS64 is only the second one attributed through PCGS and guess who has the other (AU53)...DIMEMAN.

• Options
    Originally posted by: daveyn
    Vern-while both of the 13Ds look nice, the second has a lot more eye appeal as I see it, very pretty coin.

Mike-as I really struggle sometimes understanding the way the services grade coins, out of curiosity what exactly is it that makes you think Jeff's coin is only a 55.

Justin- the suspense is killing me, need to see a pic.

Dave

Dave-

I'm glad Mike wasn't sitting at the grading table when my '15 Half came through. In the picture the toning patterns look a bit like wear; perhaps that what Mike's thinking?

I picked up a 1912 S Liberty Nickel graded AU 58 by PCGS earlier this week from David Kahn (a great coin dealer). It even came with a green bean:

This replaces the F 12 in my set; a nice move up. It will never get the coveted plus, but I think it's a nice coin for the grade.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike that recent addition of the 1897-S in 55 sure is sweet......looks 58 to me!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

Nope. I have a 97-O in F12. Ex Jeff and Tyler C.

But, I feel comfortable posting it now.

• Options
    Thanks to those who expressed thoughts on the two 13-D's.

Jeff - Congrats on the 12-S newp. Reverse strike is pretty decent, much better than typical.

Justin - Good looking 92-O newp, congrats.

Pics for this AM, from my friend Dan's collection. He has a micro O half that is the virtual twin of this qtr, but unfortunately I don't have a picture of it, PC10:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Jeff- real pretty nickel, just realized where the mint mark was located thanks to your pic, a series I'm not familiar with.

Justin- Great looking coin, everything looks so perfectly even.

Vern- Got my Google tablet loaded up with info and cash stuffed in my wallet, see you at the Central States, your cell # is still the same right?

re-imaging all my Barber halves, one I have to upgrade in the set, but really like the looks of it.
  • Options
    OIH82W8 - I also have been hunting for an 1892 Dime - Phila - in 58
    for the exact same reason. Tough buggers to find, aren't they ??!!

Justin - nice 92-O in F12 -

DaveN - same for your 95-O - its every bit a VF 20.

Vern - That 01-S is the perfect VG 10 - nice and meaty.

DimeMan - Jon - What 97-S Dime are you thinking of ? My only one was from a Stacks
    .............purchase in 11/12............I just had it reholdered is all. New serial number as
    it was originally in my All Time Finest set - sold in August, 2011 - and repurchased in 11/12.
    I couldn't add it to my sets because of the old serial number - so - I had it reholdered with a
    new number...not regarded.

Images from Todd Pollock - 06/2007

Jeff - I still like that 1915 as a 55 - guess you're right - I shouldn't be in the Grading Room
    when your submissions arrive... at least some, anyhow !! LOL If it makes you feel any better,
    I like your 1915 a lot more than I like mine !! { Darrell said he didn't like mine at all... ;o

My XF 40 fits in just fine in the latest set... My 1915-P in PCGS 64 is up at auction at
    Central States with Heritage - its a beauty - and now its CAC.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Justin, Nice 20 maybe 15 on a bad day! Yeah that' a jab Mike! image
  • Options
    Justin, Nice 20 maybe 15 on a bad day! Yeah that' a jab Mike! image

Did you mean that as a question, Darrell ?
    Using an exclamation at the end, meant a statement !

I meant no jab at all.... Stated a fact that you were not anomored
    with my 1915 in 40.... That's all... No harm done .... How was your
    show in Dalton ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Dave - Yes, same cell number. Good looking 95-O.

Mike - Darrell must have been kidding on your '15 in 40. Wonderful XF look.

Pics for this AM, beauty from Doug's collection, now in Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Mike! The jab was at you for grading Justin's 92-O a 12! Dalton was a wee bit slow. Lottsa folks but patiently waiting to see what the economy is going to do after this fall IMHO.

BTW I like your 15's!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: LogPotato

Nope. I have a 97-O in F12. Ex Jeff and Tyler C.

But, I feel comfortable posting it now.

So that's where my old '97 O ended up! It's a nice coin for the grade.

I'm guessing you're new '92 O is in a 20 holder. Looks good!

• Options
    It's in a 15 holder, but I could see it getting into a 20 holder if I tried to do it.

Vern, you mentioned the Micro o. Did anyone see the VF30 Harry L. has? It has a few marks, but if I had 16k to burn, it would be here.

Dave, that's a real nice 95-O.

Mike, that's a real nice 15P.
  • Options
    Justin! That's probably the best 15 out there! It has the look of the 7 VF 20's(2 are NGC) I have owned or own!
  • Options
    Justin- I really have problems with understanding how the slabs get graded the way they do, if you take your coin and place it side by side with the vf-25 example on the hosts grading site they are a dead match, I guess it's something other than detail holding it back.

Dave
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    When I started my interest in Barbers in 1990, that 92o would have been considered the perfect example of a Fine 15 on merit of the lower part of BER being incomplete.
    Even with a hairline going back above the eye.
    Pretty textbook.
    Nice tough coin, in whatever grade you choose to call it.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1982-o looks like a nice 15 to me. Nice, but not quite a 20.
    3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Justin - I think your 92-O has the "Justin" look regardless of 15 or 20. I saw Harry's micro O on his site and will reserve comment until I see it next week at Central States (assuming it hasn't sold by then).

Pics for this AM, my friend Keith's raw 92-O. Opinions on grade?

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Vern, Keith's raw 92-O sure is a beauty! Textbook 40.

Doug
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Lucanus

Doug

+1

• Options
    Originally posted by: Lucanus

Doug

I like Keith's coin for a 45 - by the current grading standards I have seen as of late.

I also want to amend my comment I made on Justin's 92-O - I was reading about the
    97-O that was just graded as a F12 - skimmed over the actual picture of the coin - as
    it turned out to be an 92-O .... I agree with the others about the 92-O - it's a very nice
    F15/VF20. Can't remember what Jeff's 1897-O looked like now.

Have not looked at HLRC web site on the 92-Micro O in VF. I know Harry consigned / sold /
    whatever - his AU 55 Micro O. Which really is an attractive warmly toned coin. It still may
    be available at JJ Teaparty...have not checked it out recently.....

Having owned three 92-Micro O's ( 55, 55, 63 ) - they are just a bit too esoteric for me.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    What a great looking 92-O!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: barberkeys
    Justin - I think your 92-O has the "Justin" look regardless of 15 or 20. I saw Harry's micro O on his site and will reserve comment until I see it next week at Central States (assuming it hasn't sold by then).

Pics for this AM, my friend Keith's raw 92-O. Opinions on grade?

I'll bid 35.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file