Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

Originally posted by: barberkeys

Justin - I think your 92-O has the "Justin" look regardless of 15 or 20. I saw Harry's micro O on his site and will reserve comment until I see it next week at Central States (assuming it hasn't sold by then).

Pics for this AM, my friend Keith's raw 92-O. Opinions on grade?

I'll bid 35.

I'll up ya to 40! image Sell me any 35 you have with this look and detail in a 35 holder at 35 price! Look is the main ingredient which I'm sure you are beginning to learn!

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for the thoughts on Keith's 92-O. We'll probably never know what our hosts would grade it as he'll never sell it, and doesn't send his coins in for grading because he doesn't like them in slabs.

Pics for this AM, glad to have this one back home, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Vern-the 1892-O is a very nice coin, bet he's got a fantastic set.
    very nice 98 quarter, had to read up about the lines in the ear, very good depiction.

Almost done re-imaging my slabs, I assume this 1909 S is the inverted "S" correct?

Dave
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    Jeff---Love that 92-O half... It looks like the twin to mine. I'd give it XF45 JMHO
  • Options
    Dave---yes, you have the inverted "S" PCGS doesn't attribute them. I don't believe they are rare as I've seen a dozen or so.
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    You Barber guys crack me up!
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BarberFanatic

You Barber guys crack me up!

Why is that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: tombr

Dave---yes, you have the inverted "S" PCGS doesn't attribute them. I don't believe they are rare as I've seen a dozen or so.

PCGS does attribute them! To late for me to find the Cert #!

• Options
    Dave - Keith doesn't have them all, mostly the tougher dates. But the ones he has are nice, original coins.

Cary - So glad to hear from you. Hope you've been doing well.

Pics for this AM, from when he was a barber fanatic:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: tombr

PCGS sure does attribute them:

Mine is an AU 50. There are a lot of them out there in G/ VG, but quite difficult to find in VF and better.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    I am really chewing on my lip about this coin: 1909-S inverted S

I have an attributed AU53 but haven't decided if I really want all the varieties in 58. The micro O squashes my desire. So half of me wishes it would sell and the other half hopes it does not. If you see it disappear then watch for a 58 to show up in the pop reports! image

• Options
    Couple of real nice coins, thanks for posting. It's easy to see the difference on the higher grade coins.

Darrell-the 58 is a beauty, a little out of my league, I have to struggle a bit with the 53's and 55's. I'll probably be hitting EBAY after the Central States usually don't have much luck at shows.

Dave

• Options
    Darrell - Many reasons, but they key one is:

You Barber guys display your passion to such an extent that your threads become so large that the system here can't refresh the most recent page correctly! And you've had to start new threads several times to try to counteract this problem... and it still keeps coming back! You gotta admit - that is hilarious!

Vern - I've been doing splendidly, thank you! Your "blast from the past" pictures remind me of my former life as a barber fanatic, but I must admit that I am relieved to have that part of my life behind me. It was a good 15 years while it lasted, but I have moved on. At the end of my Barber days, the hobby became increasingly emotionally taxing. At the very end I was disrespected by a few people... and that's what ultimately pushed me over the edge. I had to leave for the sake of my own sanity. Hobbies are supposed to be fun and enjoyable but this one had become a chore and a source of strife, resentment, anxiety, and frustration. So I shifted my collecting focus and I've never been happier in the hobby.

I still check in here from time to time to see what's going on. And I keep in touch with Mike (Hayes) who has remained a true friend in the hobby even though we collect different things now. He recently imparted me with some wisdom about Standing Liberty Quarters that I have filed away in my memory bank for future use.

I hope things are well with you.
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    Cary! LOL I guess you got that right!

Dave, That 09-S is actually a lusterous blast white coin. For reasons unknown to me sometimes my camera or the coin like to pickup the color of the walls in my office which is cedar. I have yet to figure out why and probably need to take new pictures of it.

Now for the good news from PCGS, I just made an 1899-S in 58+ and a 1911-S in 58+! I also have two more 58+ on the way to me to give me a total of 19+'s now! image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing new in Barbers to report - just going to say I checked out Darrell's
    Inverted S Half - love it. I agree with Dave N... "outta my league" !!

Cary has been one of my oldest friends in the PCGS site - and we try and stay in touch ...
    dang fool is about to loose his mind on SLQ's... of course, completing seven sets did make
    me a bit OD'd.... Just showed a good friend who is visiting my All Time Finest Set with
    Varieties - and I was at one time [2005] the top set - I have slipped to # 7 All Time Finest.
    Truth be known... the bug bit me again...I just picked up a bunch in 58... and one 65 FH.

Shipped 53 coins to CAC - and about 12 wouldn't be qualified to be graded - I never
    really paid any heed to their acceptance list - and a bunch of gem Jeff's and Roosies were
    disqualified. As a result - my success rate was 35% - and I was most happy that my
    Buff's all CAC'd !! Some of my newer Barber Dimes CAC'd - as well as my set of 1917
    Walkers - OBV & REV - mostly in 55-58 - now are all gussied up in green bow ties.

My latest 1906-O Quarter in 58 - Tom Smith's recent sale to me - CAC'd - however my
    newest 1904-O in 58 DNP. Darn... its a neat coin - proof like and wonderful amber gold
    toning. OK, its one of the Heir and the Spares that I have.

Also - half of my new Proof Dimes made the cut. Can't for the life of me figure out why
    the others didn't. As Vern has said...its a crap shoot *

This Dime made the cut - I knew it would !!

Last week - the balance of 18 Halves that were never submitted to CAC -
    were finally sent in. I should have the results in another week. I sent in
    yet another submission the other day - just a half dozen Barbers - all newps.
    Mostly Dimes and a couple of Quarters - again - waiting breathlessly.

Thanks for reading my diatribe - I really enjoyed looking at all the latest images !!
    Happy Hunting !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Darrell - Now that you've reached the goal of all 58's, where is there to go? Varieties!!

Cary - Sorry to hear why you left barbers behind, but very glad you're still enjoying the hobby.

Mike - Congrats on the beans.

Pics for this AM, now a spare in Paesan's Stash, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Verne...the quest for + grades! Still trying to decide if I want to do the varieties. I have the 92 TDR in 58,My 07-S and 11-S in 58 are both S/S's and then there is the 09-S inverted S in 58. This basically just leaves that huge hole which is the micro O with a pop in 58 of 1 if it still exists.
  • Options
    Darrell needs to do a complete circulated set of the halves, all dates/mint marks in all of the circ grades 1 - 58.
  • Options
    Darrell - I think getting all plusses will be as tough as finding that micro O.

Cary - I'm guessing Darrell's already a third of the way there. And finding (making) 1's and 2's might be the toughest.

Pics for this AM, only 8 of the 74 coins from Doug's barber collection haven't found new homes. This one happens to be a colorful example of the toughest date, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

I must state that I did not mean to by pass Jeff's new 1912-S V Nickel in 58.
    Very nice coin, matches mine closely. The coin seems to have been restyled at
    the Mint - as the coin had a face lift of sorts for the 1912 Branch Minted coins.

A friend recently added a MS to his collection - and we have looked at dozens
    of 12-S's, and I think the 64 he bought was the nicest I had seen in any grade !

Today, I had a nice conversation with my friend, SROTAG, and the man has a memory
    like a steel trap. We went over his watch list and he can remember a coin from its first
    appearance at auction...and follows its ascent and descent over the years.

Have a great rest of the weekend, everyone !! Happy Hunting !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Now I'm envious of Srotag's memory, in addition to his coins.

Pics for this AM, one that's soon to replace my MS62, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    A lot of nice quarters posted here recently. No wonder I can't find any, you have them all.

I have been fortunate to find a few nice tougher date raw Barber Halves, however. Here are a few:

First, an 1895 O:

This looks like a 58 to me but could go 62. I won't rule 55 or 61 either.

Next, a 1905 S:

Good looking, but the mark on the obverse could be construed as a stain.

Last up, a 1910:

I'm hoping for a 58 on this one; I could use it to upgrade my set's current 55.

I'll be sending these in along with a few Barber Quarters and Dimes. I have fun hunting down raw coins and getting them graded. To me it's a similar thrill to circulation finds from my youth.image

• Options
    Jeff- you certainly have the eye for it, curious to see if the 1910 makes it, sure is a pretty one.

Vern- neat quarters, you sure seem to be adding a lot of coins to your stash lately.
  • Options
    Vern...Nice type two 92-S..... Keep me in mind for a type one that looks like that !!

Jeff.... Three beauties... Wish you all the best in getting them into 58/58+ holders.
    ....I agree with Dave, that 1910 is a special. Finding those coins raw is a feat in itself.

Heard there were aome really nice Quarters coming up in the next Legend sale.
    I tried looking but nothing was available for viewing ( the next sale could be in
    New Orleans if the rumor I heard was correct, getting to Las Vegas is just too
    much of a tiring journey. )

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

This was done to stop an usurper from capturing the Three Thousandth Post....
    ...considering the ones who do that - hardly ever post to the Mega Thread !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I guess I'll go for 3001!

A new upgrade for my Liberty Nickel set, a 1902 MS 64:

Just an average date in a little better than average MS condition, but it does have nice color. I purchased this one in the slab.

• Options
    My prediction for Jeff's 1910 is AU55. To much luster lost(wear) from the cheek if the pictures are accurate. So ya finished with your nickel set?

Mike...laying in wait for number 3000? image Some pretty dimes!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin
    My prediction for Jeff's 1910 is AU55. To much luster lost(wear) from the cheek if the pictures are accurate. So ya finished with your nickel set?

Mike...laying in wait for number 3000? image Some pretty dimes!

Darrell... We have a friend who never posts here unless the thread
    count is close to a milestone mark... like 1000, 1500 etc etc. He's grabbed
    a few Post Slots that should have gone to regular Barber Posters - it was
    done all in good fun - this time, I decided to preempt his posts with some
    of my own.

Spotted this 1905 - Phila Dime on Heritage - and as I was looking for an upgrade
    for my 55 - this was a great fit - an OGH with a Green CAC !! image

Edit to Add:

Nice Pick Up of the 1902 V Nickel, Jeff.
    I'm looking for an AU 58 of that date, as
    a matter of fact !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike-some real beautiful dimes, always nice to see such colorful coins.

Jeff- if the 1910 doesn't make 58, would look good in my set as a 53/55, nice nickel by the way

Vern- see you this weekend, anxious to see your finds, you always have something to show.

Dave

• Options

Darrell... We have a friend who never posts here unless the thread
    count is close to a milestone mark... like 1000, 1500 etc etc. He's grabbed
    a few Post Slots that should have gone to regular Barber Posters - it was
    done all in good fun - this time, I decided to preempt his posts with some
    of my own.

How does one know what the Post Count is? I don't see anything....
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

Darrell- You can't be in the grading room when the coin goes through; I don't need another 55!

I have a "complete" set of Liberty Nickels, but I'm still working on upgrades for the regular set and downgrades for the Everyman set. At the moment I'm not competitive in either. The regular Liberty Nickel Registry Sets are filled with expensive 66's and 67's. It's a challenge to find PCGS graded AU coins since the lower end MS coins are plentiful and cheap. The grading fees represent about 25% of the value of most of the 58's in the set.image

• Options
    Jeff - Are those marks or stains on your 05-S? Good luck with your submission.

Dave - See you in Schaumburg. Should be fun.

Mike - Always looking for nice 92-S's of either type. Hope to find a T1 for you. Nice dime pics BTW.

Pics for this PM, now a spare, PC62:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Originally posted by: barberkeys
    Jeff - Are those marks or stains on your 05-S? Good luck with your submission.

Vern- I'm not sure whether it's tarnish or stained from some gung left on the surface. I've owned the coin for about 2 weeks; I don't know where she's been for the other 110 years.
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, another of Doug's toughies that just found a new home, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern- sure looks like your filling all of your spots in your collection, I'm wondering if there is a coin in Chicago that you don't already have. My halves are still pretty open, will have lots of dates to choose from just hope I can find one or two I like.

See you there.

Dave

• Options
    Dave - It was very nice to get the chance to visit again at Central States. Hope you find a half or two for your collection.

Central States was pretty slim, from my perspective, on barbers, especially tougher date ones. My only two newps were capped bust dimes. But the show was a great success to me because it once again offered the opportunity to get together with collector friends (in addition to Dave), and discuss our favorite pastime.

Pic for this AM, almost a complete AU grading set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Verne and Dave, Glad you all had a good time.

Got my latest submissions. back. Still can't get PCGS to see the 08-S for what it is! Overall and I'm happy with the submission. I expected the other details. Don't mind the 12's in 10 holders because they usually sell quickly for me on ebay as F's! image

1 1 80648572 6487 1900-O 50C VF25 USA

2 1 80648573 6483 1899 50C VF20 USA

3 1 80648574 6484 1899-O 50C XF45 USA

4 1 80648575 6514 1908-O 50C VF20 USA

5 1 80648576 6526 1912-S 50C F12 USA

6 1 80648577 6523 1911-S 50C F12 USA

7 1 80648578 6516 1909 50C F15 USA

8 1 80648579 6531 1914-S 50C VF30 USA

9 1 80648580 6495 1903 50C F12 USA

10 1 80648581 6473 1895-S 50C VF25 USA

11 1 80648582 6496 1903-O 50C VF20 USA

12 1 80648583 6508 1907 50C XF40 USA

13 1 80648584 6471 1895 50C VF20 USA

14 1 80648585 6504 1906 50C VF20 USA

15 1 80648586 6501 1905 50C VG10 USA

16 1 80648587 6505 1906-D 50C F12 USA

17 1 80648588 6506 1906-O 50C VG10 USA

18 1 80648589 6493 1902-O 50C F15 USA

19 1 80648590 6502 1905-O 50C F12 USA

20 1 80648591 6516 1909 50C F12 USA

21 1 80648592 6496 1903-O 50C VF25 USA

22 1 80648593 6473 1895-S 50C F15 USA

23 1 80648594 6472 1895-O 50C F12 USA

24 1 80648595 6510 1907-O 50C VF30 USA

25 1 80648596 6501 1905 50C VF30 USA

26 1 80648597 6509 1907-D 50C VF25 USA

27 1 80648598 6512 1908 50C VF30 USA

28 1 80648599 6472 1895-O 50C VF25 USA

29 1 80648600 6471 1895 50C VF20 USA

30 1 80648601 6515 1908-S 50C Genuine - UNC Details (92 - Cleaned) USA

31 1 80648602 6496 1903-O 50C VF30 USA

32 1 80648603 6468 1894 50C XF40 USA

33 1 80648604 6476 1896-S 50C XF40 USA

34 1 80648605 6469 1894-O 50C XF40 USA

35 1 80648606 6521 1911 50C VF20 USA

36 1 80648607 6487 1900-O 50C F12 USA

37 1 80648608 6523 1911-S 50C XF40 USA

38 1 80648609 6511 1907-S 50C VF25 USA

39 1 80648610 6510 1907-O 50C VG10 USA

40 1 80648611 6490 1901-O 50C VG10 USA

41 1 80648612 6472 1895-O 50C VF30 USA

42 1 80648613 6510 1907-O 50C F15 USA

43 1 80648614 6515 1908-S 50C F15 USA

44 1 80648615 6503 1905-S 50C VF25 USA

45 1 80648616 6482 1898-S 50C Genuine - VF Details (92 - Cleaned) USA

46 1 80648617 6513 1908-D 50C F12 USA

47 1 80648618 6512 1908 50C F12 USA

48 1 80648619 6495 1903 50C VF25 USA

49 1 80648620 6484 1899-O 50C F12 USA

50 1 80648621 6508 1907 50C VF30 USA

51 1 80648622 6479 1897-S 50C VF25 USA

52 1 80648623 6475 1896-O 50C VF25 USA

53 1 80648624 6472 1895-O 50C XF45 USA

54 1 80648625 6509 1907-D 50C VF20 USA

• Options
    Darrell-

That's a lot of Barber Halves! I'm surprised it's cost effective to grade VG & F Halves and sell them, but you obviously know what you're doing!.

Perhaps PCGS put the '08 S in a "cleaned" holder because you submitted it in the $300 max. value tier. The only way that coin would be worth $300 is if it was cleaned. image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

Darrell-

That's a lot of Barber Halves! I'm surprised it's cost effective to grade VG & F Halves and sell them, but you obviously know what you're doing!.

Perhaps PCGS put the '08 S in a "cleaned" holder because you submitted it in the $300 max. value tier. The only way that coin would be worth $300 is if it was cleaned. image

Jeff,

The only time this coin straight graded was via economy the 1st time. It came back a 62! The 2nd time I sent it in standard and it received the Unc details as in this time. I think they are punishing me for cracking a 62 as it should be a 58+! I'm not alone among all the reputable Barber Half dealers of this opinion!

You would be surprised how many collectors of F graded Barber Half's there are. The 10's are F's and I will have no problem getting F money for them!

• Options
    Vern- had a good time great to see you again also, I kept at it all day and finally found one I really liked.image

Darrell- nice group of coins you got back, I found it very hard locating nice coins in the lower grades, even AU, MS coins seemed to be everywhere. I don't think you'll have much trouble selling your new submissions seen tons of buyers looking for F-VF coins but not much to be had.

Dave
  • Options
    Darrell - 52 out of 54, what a successful submission!

Dave - And a tough date besides, congratulations.

Pics for this AM, another of Doug's that went off to my friend Ken at Central States, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Very nice coins everyone..
  • Options
    Dave! Now that's a crusty coin! Hammered strike as well!

Verne,the only surprise in my submission was the 98-S they called cleaned. I thought it was a 50 50 shot due to environmental damage,not being cleaned! Those Barber Quarters sure are getting passed around a lot!
  • Options

I was able to pick up a couple of coins at the Internet Only portion of the Heritage
    Central States auction. I'm very happy to report that Vern was able to look at this
    Dime and said it had the largest spread of a RPM he had seen. Its only a 62 - but
    its a really neat coin [ IMHO ].

Vern also advised me to stay away from another coin I was interested in - he confirmed
    what I had feared just from looking at the HA images. The coin had terminal black rim
    toning and the centrals were wiped. Funny how no one noticed this in the Grading Room ?!!

I had a back up pick if I didn't get the above coin - but, this time a Half Dollar and
    it's an upgrade for my XF 40 { ex: Darrell }.

I spotted my old AU 58 CAC on HA's site...for comparison purposes only:

I guess, I older I get, the crustier I like them...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LOL Mike! That 92-S(as well as Dave's 55 03-S) Is too crusty for me. It's good that everyone has different tastes! That's the look I go for on 45 and under....sortta! I was watching the auction today and wondered if you were going after anything. The 1st one I thought would grab you was the dime! Lotta 65's going very cheap!

I improved the 04-S in my set in 20 from this sale! image
  • Options
    Mike- I love the 92-S, I really like the dark toned coins but they sure are hard to find at shows. I assume the shiny flashy type appeal to the majority so it would make sense to mostly stock them. I guess you'll post a closeup pic of the S/S RPM when you get the dime, would like to see that.

Darrell- I'm counting my left over change from the show, I think you have a few semi-crusty coins that would fit in my set.

Dave

• Options
    Darrell - The next time you send in the 98-S, it wont be env. damage, it'll be either cleaned or straight graded. It's just the way of the world. And yes, Doug's barber quarter collection has "flown off the shelf", with only 5 of 74 still left. All of them have gone to collectors, who have taken the opportunity to improve their collections. Quality original barber quarters just don't come along very often. I plan on putting the remaining 5 on the BST in the next day or two. Lastly, congrats on the 04-S upgrade for your VF20 set.

Mike - Congratulations on the two newps. That is a really neat RPM.

Pics for this AM, haven't posted one of these for a while, PC63:

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file