Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I like your 06 dime.

Dr. Pete, Look forward to seeing you at Harry's. Ask him if he has a nice 07-s quarter for sale.

Got a reservation for Charlie's Steak House tonight. Isn't that where went after FUN?

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just saw this post in CoinFacts...

PCGS MS68+

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable New Year's Eve.

DrPete - Good luck with the auction.

Jeff - I could believe a 45 from our hosts, but it surprises me from ATS.

Paesan - Bet the beef was good.

keyman - Amazing color, thanks for posting.

Pics for this New Year AM, tough date from Jim's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy New Year Everyone!

Dr. Pete, I'm with Verne wishing you a successful auction.

Jeff, Going by the pictures the coin looks net graded. Sure looks lack luster to me.

Verne, I'm sure it is known but thought I would mention that 07-S is an S/S.
  • Options
    Darrell - Does the S/S half command a premium?

Pics for this AM, from Doug's collection, an upgrade to my 1900, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I haven't been able to get much of a premium. I believe if PCGS would recognize it as a major variety it could. The funny part is it is more visible than the 11-S/S and PCGS does recognize the 11-S/S as a major variety.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Vern & Darrell -

When I sold my Barber sets back in 2011, one coin caught my eye on the pre bids - the 1907-S/s Half in PCGS 58. It was a nice coin and I had assumed it would be sell around $1500 or so. The coin did not have the variety on the insert. I had really nice images of my coins on my Registry sets - and I had a close up of the S/s in the image. Well, the pre-bid came to $4500 and when it crossed the block, it sold for $5,000 plus the juice ! It was the biggest surprise of my sale.

My advice, get the designation on the insert. It's money well spent. I was just lucky a few people took the time to view my Registry set first to see what varieties were lurking.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MFH

Vern & Darrell -

When I sold my Barber sets back in 2011, one coin caught my eye on the pre bids - the 1907-S/s Half in PCGS 58. It was a nice coin and I had assumed it would be sell around $1500 or so. The coin did not have the variety on the insert. I had really nice images of my coins on my Registry sets - and I had a close up of the S/s in the image. Well, the pre-bid came to $4500 and when it crossed the block, it sold for $5,000 plus the juice ! It was the biggest surprise of my sale.

My advice, get the designation on the insert. It's money well spent. I was just lucky a few people took the time to view my Registry set first to see what varieties were lurking.

Mike, I don't think it was due to the S/S! I sold an AU 50 around that time on ebay for $1500 and it was not listed for long! The guy was so worried he would not get the coin he called me! Ya know Liz had Laibstein's 58 with Don Set at Baltimore and the asking price was 12K or so. $5800 for Don's 55. I may be off a little either way on the prices but not by much.

Isn't the designation for the 07-S/S minor variety or something along those lines?

• Options

Yes, Darrell. I bought another 1907-S in PCGS 50 with RPM -

it's listed as a Minor Variety on the top of the certificate. I paid

almost $1400 for it three years ago. Julian S. had it - and he was

asking $1500 - but came down a bit.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, You do realize your 07-S in 58 is the only 58 showing in the PCGS coin facts auction archives. No 55's have hit the block either!
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just can't get excited about an S/S re-punched mintmark. If it was an S/ O, yes.

I thought I would post the lone coin in my Everyman's Barber Half set that started in 1981; my 1892 S PCGS AU 55:

I purchased this coin 35 years ago; as I recall it was white at the time. The coin sat in a Dansco Album for around 30 years before I had it first graded by NGC gave it a 55 and PCGS crossed it at the same grade.

I really like the color this coin is developing. Since this date carries little weight in the Registgry scoring this will likely be the last coin in my set to be upgraded (if ever). There's too much sentimental value with this coin; it was the first Barber Half I purchased better than VG and put me on the journey to collect an AU set.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Darrell.... I never check Coin Facts - never joined ... But my old 07-S in 58 is a pop one is just an amazing fact. No wonder it peaked during my sale in 2011. Can it be that its current value is over $15K now ? Crazy !!

Jeff.... I really like that 92-S, wouldn't surprise me now if it didn't get a plus grade. Are they really giving out 55+'s ??? Where in the world did you locate that Blob of V Nickels ? Make sure you bring that to the BCCS meeting next Friday - January 8th at 3:30 pm. I, regrettably will be leaving the show after the PCGS luncheon. Sorry to say.

See y'all soon.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, My 07-S in 58 is an S/S also! I think they might possibly be worth a premium in lower grades...but higher grades over ride the variety. A great example I've had experience with is the 1909-S/S Lincoln cent. I also wasn't able to get a premium on a 16 D/D quarter...think I had a 62.

Jeff...I also like your 92-S!

Be great seeing you guys again at FUN!
  • Options

Darrell.... I never check Coin Facts - never joined ... But my old 07-S in 58 is a pop one is just an amazing fact. No wonder it peaked during my sale in 2011. Can it be that its current value is over $15K now ? Crazy !!

Jeff.... I really like that 92-S, wouldn't surprise me now if it didn't get a plus grade. Are they really giving out 55+'s ??? Where in the world did you locate that Blob of V Nickels ? Make sure you bring that to the BCCS meeting next Friday - January 8th at 3:30 pm. I, regrettably will be leaving the show after the PCGS luncheon. Sorry to say.

Mike- the '07 S Half PCGS 58 is a Pop 7 coin; why are you saying yours was a Pop 1? I happen to know that the PC 58 that Harry L. recently sold went for a little under $8K- it's a nice coin. I don't think the market would support a $15K price tag for a '07 S PC58. Maybe I'm missing something?

I don't think I've ever seen a 55+ coin; I'm going to check the Pop chart (I'm curious). It will take a very impressive 58 for me to replace this coin in my set.

I'll be bringing my Liberty Nickel Blob to FUN; I found it on eBay for about $50. It's difficult to put a value on this item. It's pretty cool, however; worth $50 to me.

I'll be at the PCGS Luncheon on Friday as well; perhaps I can sit at your table?

• Options
    I just checked the PCGS Barber Half Pop Reports; there are no AU 55+ coins! There are 20- AU 58+ coins and 1- AU 53+ coin, but 0- AU 55+ coins.

Maybe I can get the first?

I heard a rumor that PCGS will be starting a new grading tier for plus designations only; does anyone know more about it?

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern: My set isn't new, just invisible! image
    Craig

• Options
    I have to agree with Darrell regarding premiums on varieties. In general with the quarters, varieties do not command premiums. (Although they are often priced high, nobody seems to be buying them.) They're cool to have though. Of course, there are a few exceptions.

I've been putting together a quarter variety set. I don't pay premiums. I usually find them and then send them in myself. I guess the price I pay to PCGS is the premium. Last I checked, I had both 1907-s/s quarters, and nobody cares!

Paesan
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin
    Mike, You do realize your 07-S in 58 is the only 58 showing in the PCGS coin facts auction archives. No 55's have hit the block either!

Jeff... I was referencing Darrell's post.

I shouldn't have said it was a POP ONE - its the only one in Coin Facts.

I have yet to verify this - as I do not subscribe to Coin Facts.

My old 1907-S - Images by Todd Pollock

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

Mike- the '07 S Half PCGS 58 is a Pop 7 coin; why are you saying yours was a Pop 1? I happen to know that the PC 58 that Harry L. recently sold went for a little under $8K- it's a nice coin. I don't think the market would support a $15K price tag for a '07 S PC58. Maybe I'm missing something?

I don't think I've ever seen a 55+ coin; I'm going to check the Pop chart (I'm curious). It will take a very impressive 58 for me to replace this coin in my set.

I'll be bringing my Liberty Nickel Blob to FUN; I found it on eBay for about $50. It's difficult to put a value on this item. It's pretty cool, however; worth $50 to me.

I'll be at the PCGS Luncheon on Friday as well; perhaps I can sit at your table?

Jeff...I never received an invitation - so I inquired - got a rig-a-morole story - so now,

Mike Valente and I are "wait listed"

I do not have a spam filter - so every email gets to me. They dropped the ball with me
    this entire year. Maybe because I no longer have the top sets in my categories any longer.

So, Jeff, save us a couple of seats. Thanks.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - I'm sure your 07-S half brought the big price bacause it was such a nice coin, not a RPM. My friend Glen was a serious underbidder.

Jeff - Nice looking 92-S. Interesting that a tough date was the first to start you on the AU path. Liberty nickel blob? Have a pic?

Craig - Glad they are visible now.

Paesan - I agree, I don't think barber quarter varieties command much of a premium.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    My Liberty Nickel blob has photos in another thread I started- "Unusual Liberty Nickel Set".

My first acquisition of the New Year arrived in the mail yesterday. A former member of the Surfcity set; a 1900 S Half PC GS AU 58:

This coin upgrades my PC 55; it's another one of the nice ones that Don had.

• Options

Jeff...

Congratulations on yet another great addition to your set. Is your Photo Album still being kept up to date ?

That was one of the nicest presentations I have seen and very enjoyable to look at. It's a very heavy album to

be carting around unless you are at a table and using it as a display.

Possibly having it at the BCCS table would be nice. I'm only going to be at the show a day and a half - otherwise,

I'd be happy to volunteer a couple of hours manning the BCCS table.

...with all the beautiful AU 58 Barber Halves floating around - between JJ Teaparty, you

and Darrell's inventory, novice collectors might get the wrong impression thinking

this a common occouance - which many of us can assure them, it's not.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike-

The for the compliments. The album I made last year can't be updated, but I knew that it would become obsolete through time. Little did I know I would upgrade about 2/3 of my set in 2015! I plan on producing an updated album this spring when I have a few more upgrades in the set. I still look at the album frequently even though

I'll bring my obsolete album to FUN; I plan on volunteering for a few hours at the table. I'm also bringing some spare coins along to see if I can sell them or use them in trade.

• Options
    Jeff - Neat "blob". And congrats on the newp.

Pics for this AM, newp from Doug, PC58 Type1:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Big thanks to Jeff. He kicks butt!. He's submitting these coins for me at FUN. Enjoy!

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try to imagining opening an old, brown 1940s vintage album full of Barber quarters and seeing that 1898-O in 68+ from Coinfacts sitting there raw. Coin fantasies. image
  • Options
    Justin - Great looking halves, I bet they'll do well at our hosts.

Ron - Here is the board, just wish I had the 98-O to put in it.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Hands down, that's my all-time favorite image on the thread.
  • Options
    Paesan - Thanks. Have a great time at FUN.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    My first purchase at FUN from JJ Teaparty. A former Surfcity coin. a 1903 PC AU 58:

A minor upgrade from my current 55, but hey- it's FUN!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Jeff - Congrats on the good looking newp. Obviously, you're having FUN.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I had a nice conversation with Don Willis this afternoon and got him to release my new 1903 ( purchased from him ) so I could add it to me set. Kind of cool.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa
    I purchased a 1906 S NGC 61 Barber Half at a Heritage Sunday Auction a few weeks back:

I sent this to PCGS for crossover last week; I'm hoping to get grades before FUN. Naturally I'm hoping for a slight downgrade as I'm in need of a 58. I think this one has a chance.

I think I have a much better chance this time.....image

I received the news on this coin today- it's in a 58 holder on it's way back to me. Success! A 61 NCG coin is not a coin anyone wants, but a 58- very popular. I'll post new pics in it's new holder when it arrives back over the weekend.
  • Options
    PCGS is going to announce tomorrow a new coin grading tier alternative. For those that want to submit a coin for only a "Plus" designation without fear the coin might upgrade more (I. e. from a 58 to a 62). Handy for those of us looking to turn our AU 58 coins into 58+ coins (Darryll).

I had a chance to look at the Barbernut set today; there's no drool Emotion available here, but that's all I could do. He has some really nice coins!!!!! His photos don't do justice from viewing them.

Once again I feel not worthy, but I'm happy that the Kings let me hang with them!!image

• Options
    Jeff - Congrats on the downgrade cross of your 06-S. And if I were you, I'd feel pretty good about being number three, right there with the "kings".

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I made another purchase yesterday, an 1885 Liberty Nickel PC AU 58:

This Key coin completes my regular (MS) set, but I plan on upgrading it and completing the Everyman Set.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving those 07-S/S 50C RPM!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This 1892-O 25C DDO FS-101 PCGS MS64 CAC (Top Pop for variety) is a repeat showing, but it is at F.U.N. if you wanted to take a look at it in person (consigned to J.J. Teaparty);

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern - Thanks for the compliments on my halves. They don't excite many people (in those grades), but I love them. The 08-D and 08-O are common dates, but those coins exhibit uncommon original skin. Jim has such a great collection from what I have seen so far.

Jeff - Congrats on your new 03P. Very nice example, and even more applause for getting your 06-S (one of my favorite dates) in 58 as well as the 85 nickel!

oih82w8 - good luck on your consignment. Looks like a really great coin.

• Options
    Jeff - Congrats on the key newp.

oih8 - Good looking variety. Hope you do well with it, Liz & Gail are top notch, IMO.

Justin - I agree, Jim definitely has a good looking collection.

Pics for this AM, newp for me from Doug's set, PC58:
    >

Vern
    l
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Was hoping to meet some of you guys at fun, but once again medical problems ended that trip.

Vern- already have the room reserved for the Central States, understand there will be a meeting there.

Justin-some real nice coins, I just recently rekindled my urge to collect a VF-XF raw set.

Jeff-real nice 06, I'm amazed at how well you do on your PCGS returns.

Here is a coin I picked up on GC auction, who's cast off is this?

• Options
    A nice looking '95 O Dave. I had a PC 53 '95 O a couple years ago and sold it, but it's not the one I had.
  • Options
    I don't know if this is scary or exciting, but Liz at J. J. Teaparty has 3 of the 7 1897 S PC 58 Barber Halves at her table at FUN for sale. Perhaps investors are exiting?

Weird.

• Options
    Jeff, Great to see you at FUN. Congrats on your 06-S and your new nickel. I saw the nicest 53 at the show but I knew you'd get the 58!

Joe, I enjoyed seeing you and chatting. Hope you had some money to spend on coins after that dinner!

Mike, You guys ever hear of Burger King? Sorry I couldn't join you guys. Thanks for the purchases!

Darrell, It was nice seeing you. Good luck with your plusses.

Liz and Gail if you're out there, thanks for everything.

I had a wonderful time at FUN with Tom Smith (Key Date Rare Coins). Only bought a few inexpensive Barbers for my store, but got a few super bust and seated coins.

• Options
    Jeff,Nice nupes and congrats on the cross! Thanks for the Cudos. Wish you had seen all of my set! That was around 1/2 my set. The new program messed me up actually as my 1 55 is going in on my new submission and was told even if it would 58 the best I can receive is a +. image

BTW...you are strolling up the ladder quite nicely! No need to belittle your set! Thinking about onna those 97-S's? (thought that was a secret...at least it was in Baltimore!)

Dave, Nice addition!

Lenny, Nice seeing you as well and thanks for the luck as I'm sure the roulette wheel can use all the help it can get! image
  • Options
    Dave - Good looking 95-O. Look forward to seeing you at Central States.

Paesan - Good to hear that you had a good FUN. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Darrell - Good luck with the plusses.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I arrived at FUN on Wednesday afternoon and met up with Dave Wollinka { Srotag

Barber Collections }and immediately went into Lot Viewing to meet up with Valente151
    { who is our third set of eyes } and we proceded to analyze all of the Shireman Halves.

Dave ended up picking up a fare share of them. I bid on one of them - the 1897 Phila in

PC 66+... I was trounced in my bidding...

It closed at almost $4,000 higher than my Max Bid.

It was a great looking coin - and I thought it was a shot 67. It was also the most

beautifully toned coin in the collection. I was hoping that if I did win it, it would be

forever in my box of twenty. No such luck !! LOL

That evening, Mike Valente and I went to Dave's home for a cook out and to view his
    Dime and Half Dollars sets.

After a great meal - I spent the next few hours going thru his sets. We were looking

for potential upgrades - or - for CAC submissions. I can tell you, his sets still give me

goose bumps. Many finest known coins were in both sets. Quite a few POP TOP /

POP ONE's too.

Thursday morning we had a leisurely brunch before the show while Mike Valente

headed to lot viewing to preview a group for the three of us. Dave and I arrived

about Noon and there was a Buzz on the floor. Not so much in the Budget Section,

however - much to the dismay of our friend, Darrell of AMERIWRLD COINS !

He and I chatted for awhile while I previewed his top AU 58 set of Halves. All I can

say is "OMG" - some major eye candy he's got there. We discussed the rumor

{ confirmed by Don Willis } about the AU 58+ New Tier on Reconsideration.

A little bird must have spilled the beans before the PCGS luncheon ! image

Thursday brought me to a few dealers that I had coins on hold with... Dave Kahn

... picked up my 1902-O Half in PC 53...

I located Steve Feltner of Americana Rare Coins { Glenn Holsonbake's business partner }

who was holding a great 1902-S Dime in PCGS 58 for me.

I've posted that coin when I first bought it from Glenn.

Then I followed up with John Arge of CRO, who was holding this Half for me ....

Chatted with the Gals at JJ Teaparty for awhile and picked up a Barber Dime for my Everyman set - a nice 1908-D in PCGS 58 - which I suspected to be a Variety - but I didn't have a chance to confirm this with Dimeman ...sorry to say. I also contracted to buy {next month} a very special Trade Dollar - the 1878-CC in PCGS 55. Old time Waite Raymond two tone grey toning - the most original one I have seen under MS grades. I'm thrilled to grab it.

I went to see Peter Shireman at HLRC's table - and we had a great conversation.

He and I have known each other for well over a dozen years and I have bought two

of his old Micro O 1892-O Halves...an ANACS AU 55 and his PCGS MS 63.

After our chat, I went to see Jim Bush - { JEB Numismatics} and I spotted a coin

I once tried to buy at auction a few years back at a Goldberg's sale... a 1909 Phila

Half in PCGS 65...attached are their terrible images. I plan on having professional

images taken of this. The rim toning is a flashy blue and the centrals are a soft

golden white .... major look...

I also got to see our Paesan - and Tom Smith of NY - who I have bought a number of

coins from. Never met him before - and what a nice guy !

Well, Lenny brought a coin I spotted on ebay he was selling - and I fell in love with

his 1912-D in PCGS 55 - stunning coin !!!

I also picked up another Half Upgrade -{ nothing wild} , just a nice solid PCGS

AU 53 - 1908-D

The auction at Heritage was touch and go for me... I won a coin I needed for my

Quarter set - the 1901-O in PCGS 58

Yes, I paid stupid money for it...image...If I ever find a better struck OBV -

I'll trade it for my coin and some cash !

In the Internet Only auction today, my bid stood for an upgrade for my 1903-S

Quarter slot { replacing my AU 53 } with this MS 63 CAC:

This coin was a bargain, IMHO.

Its late - I'm tired - after all, all the YN's call me the Old Man .... I just got another

text for one of them.... they must live on 3 hours of sleep a night.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool board!
  • Options
    Mike - Congrats on all the wonderful newps from FUN.

Pics for this AM, newp from Doug's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Good to see so many at FUN. it was mostly a great experience watching my set sell at the auction. As others had told me some coins sell for surprising amounts at both ends of the scale with others more in line with expectations. The total was favorable with enough competition at the high end to make the overall a success. Heritage folks were very helpful throughout the process. The top graded CAC coins did the best.

It was fun to see fellow collectors and dear friends. Giving out souvenir catalogs and signing them was great fun. I will miss my children but will embark on other collecting after catching my breath and letting the dust settle.
    Dr. Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file