Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just made a Pretty Sweet PSA Storage Box

lilmulelilmule Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 10, 2016 3:01PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Well the title says it all let me know what your opinion is. Spent the last 5 days on it. Its made with African Mahogany, Curly Maple, and Curly Koa. Holds I would say Approx. 150 PSA Cards.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
Vintage Rookies

Comments

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome. I'm sure many on this forum will be contacting you to buy.
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Nice box!image
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    That looks excellent. Great job!
    Steve
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Very nice indeed. I'll take two please. Lol
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    great craftsmanship!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "great craftsmanship"

+1
    Those mitered corners look awesome.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First thing I thought was humidor. Looks good!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Sweet looking storage for your cards!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Beautiful. I have the illusion that somehow I'll make something like this some day.

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Amazing work! I'd be interested in knowing how much one of these would cost (that would hold 200 cards).
  • Where do I place my order? Seriously
  • StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    That is gorgeous! Very nice work.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice curly maple on the lighter portions. Which wood is the darker part?
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like somebody paid attention in woodshop.

Hopefully you paid attention to the part about using a table saw and be careful with your fingers lol!

Sadly, I saw a kid, when I was in 10th grade, lose 3. People were running out puking. Good times.

Great job!
  • lilmulelilmule Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭
    I think, Im kind of uptight when it's dealing with Mitered cuts lol. Its annoying when you get a piece of work and you see holes all through it image.

Whats great about this box is that it fits perfectly inside a Large Flat Rate box so its 12x12 6" height. Shipping from Hawaii is the same when dealing with first class and Priority, outside of the that is where they get me on shipping.

Thank you on the kind words with my work. When working with projects especially wood working I hit every little flaw, sometime it gets annoying lol, when you get other opinions thats where it matters.

The darker wood on top lid is the Curly Koa, with Curly Maple on the sides is the African Mahogany.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
    Oh trust me working with my equipment, Im scared sh**less each time I use it. Ive seen friends lose fingers as well and I far from want that from happening.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    LMAO MLBfan2 Thank you.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    gorgeous. is mitered in reference to the center stripe of dark wood down the center of the lid? how is that done, looks flush...awesome craftsmanship.

...and of course our woodworking teacher was a couple fingers short. as was the guy my family worked with who used the table saw. how exactly rampant is this? seems abs everyone that has woodworking had a teach one short
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    very nice
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Beautiful Mike!
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Sweet is right! Now, we'd expect nothing less of the cards that go in there!

Enjoy.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
    (SEEBELOW) Mitered is base off of the corner cuts, the middle is called jointing with routed edges. While I took a long break from here and for awhile now each paycheck was buying a new piece of equipment over a few years my garage was taken over with my tools and equipment. I told the wife when we bought the house she can have the house all I want is the garage lol.

Thanks for all of the comments, I do appreciate it.

Since I know how I am going to make them, I'm going to make around 10 more. It will take me about a month to do, but if any interest the just PM me.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Very smooth, both literally and figuratively. I love the green felt.

I think this is the first box like this I've seen that uses a lid like that, rather than a hinged one. Really cool and unique design.
  • abcoltsfanabcoltsfan Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Great job. That is excellent work!

Working on the following sets
    1980's and 1990's Topps Baseball BBCE FASC - Cello or Wax Boxes
    1952 Bowman US Presidents PSA 7 & up
    Pro Football Hall of Fame Indianapolis Colts PSA Registry Set
    June 9th Cubs full ticket or stubs - 1981 to 2020
    Andre Dawson Topps Basic registry PSA 10's
    Mark Grace Topps Basic registry PSA 10's

• Very Nice! May find some gents here interested in a box like that!
  • FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I have a neighbor that is a woodworker guy who is going through some money troubles. If I talk to him and he wants to build something like this what would be a price you would be willing to pay for a box like this? I have no idea how rare these types of woods are but I am sure it could be done are a decent price.
    Sorry for the late replies, I work from 0700 to 1700 so when its 5PM my time on the east coast it's 11PM

I tried to do the math with the box that I made and broke it down to how much it cost for material for me to make.

5-BF of African Mahogany $10.00 a board foot
    1.5BF- of Curly Maple $14.00 a board foot
    .5BF- of Curly Koa $35.00 a board foot

Supplies (sand paper, finish, felt, Equipment Material, conditioner, brushes, glue etc.) $20.00

Comes out to around $110.00 + - a few .

Just for information. Even though Hawaii I of course pay a little more than other people image It really sucks here, and Im sure most of you are really sick that I just said that lol.

FavreFan1971 I just say $200.00 for the boxes but I need to work at my own pace, I still want it to be a hobby rather than a job image. It's great being in the shop and a wood worker, the creativity, design, techniques, smell, all about it is awesome unless you lose a finger image. The hard thing about it is it should be a hobby unless doing professionally. Most people I know personally don't want to spend the money on something they could get cheaper at walmart or someplace else. Thats why wood working is almost a dying art and you don't see much of it anymore as Im sure your friend can contest to. I'm sorry to hear about your friend and hope that everything works out for him.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    schofield barracks? my dad was stationed there.

had a 6 month stint in the area before college. learned to skydive over there...

absolutely loved it, but yes remember the prices especially for refrigerated items such as milk/cheese being astronomical.

beautiful work!!!

schofield barracks? my dad was stationed there.

had a 6 month stint in the area before college. learned to skydive over there...

absolutely loved it, but yes remember the prices especially for refrigerated items such as milk/cheese being astronomical.

beautiful work!!!

-------------------------

!!!Holy crud milk is $6.00 a gallon and I don't want to even talk about cheeses lol. I live about 5 miles from Schofield Barracks but work on Pearl Harbor. I do a lot of my shopping at schofield though. Thanks for the words.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely be interested in purchasing one of these boxes~beautiful work!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Its been a little bit but here are some pictures of a few boxes so far. This weekend should be a good weekend to do a lot of work on them. Hopefully with this new format the pictures came out. Still trying to figure out. The second 2 pictures is a bigger box used little zebra wood with that one. The others have the curly maple, loa, african Mahogany.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hard thing about it is it should be a hobby unless doing professionally. Most people I know personally don't want to spend the money on something they could get cheaper at walmart or someplace else. Thats why wood working is almost a dying art and you don't see much of it anymore as Im sure your friend can contest to.

To: lilmule and/or FarveFan1971's friend,

If either does plan to make any for sale or start a list for orders, I would love to be included.

Those boxes look awesome, and could be left out in plain sight (you know, to hold those cards you have to look at every day), not like those cardboard boxes that have to be put in the closet because they clutter up the room. Boy do I need a "Man Cave".

Thanks, Bill

aka clarke442
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    That's some great work.

Believe me unless lilmule is retired and/or just enjoying fulfillment time then the cost of materials and labor

would make this an expensive box. Guessing $500-600 range.

He would also have to cut and work on 25 at a time.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    That is some nice work. That box looks really good.
    Well a lot of work yesterday and today. But the boxes are starting to fill themselves out and look like nice boxes. The conditioner in on the wood soaking in the sun for a few hours then to put on the felt, make the dividers on the inside and start the finish work.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • arexarex Posts: 999
    Mike those are stunningly beautiful!
    Thank you again everyone for the comments. Fortunally I'm not retired yet hopefully in 3 years I would be. I just make the boxes on the side, if i get home a little early from work I might work on them for a 1hr or 2 then on weekends I try to get a lot done. The boxes do take a lot of time but enjoy working in the shop, smelling the wood, trying new techniques, and of course getting messy lol. I have a good wife where when we bought the house all I wanted was the garage and she can have everything else lol.

I didn't realize how many people like them and wanted one which of course I do appreciate it. After this next batch of boxes I might go a little more just to try to compansate some of the time.

Thank you BenG76, Clarke442, Jay0791 for the kind words and comments.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
    I thought I would share what the wood looks like when I first start on the projects. From left to right (African Mahogany, Purple Heart, Koa, Wendge, Curly Maple).

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful piece of craftsmanship - +1

Well the boxes are 1 coat of finish away from being complete. Its been raining here so the finish work is going very slow with the humidity and things. Plus it doesn't help having a hang over as well lol. (I'm never going to drink again!!!)lol

The boxes came out to be little larger than a large flat rate box so I had to order shipping boxes that they would fit into.

I will take pictures of the boxes here shortly, hopefully I can finish by today, then start on the next group of boxes.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
    They are sooooo close now.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    A beautiful display box, and at $150 per box the cost per card stored is also very good if you can get 150 cards in it. Very nice work!

Dave
    Here are three of the boxes. The big one I used a black flocking technique instead of using felt. The other two has the green felt. One has the handle with hinges. Overall looks pretty cool. Just thought I would share.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    absolutely gorgeous craftsmanship....giving me a reason to buy some more cards to fill it
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • I'm so looking forward to getting mine Mike! Mine is the one with the handle and hinges on it. So pumped!
    I thought I would try out making a War Ax so here it is image

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2017 10:49AM

I am finally posting some pictures of my new piece of art.

This one is mine!

The photo does not do the colors justice, crappy old cell phone camera.

Did not have any of my nicer cards to really show off the beauty of the box!

Just want to say thanks to lilmule again, and boast about his craftsmanship, pictures can not do it justice.

Mahalo!

ps I might have to pick me up one of those "War Axes" to protect my cards_LOL!