Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just made a Pretty Sweet PSA Storage Box

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always great work. The checkerboard one is awesome.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how I had missed this thread. I'm not usually too excited about storage boxes but, holy cow, these are gorgeous! Looks like many of the early pics are gone but the ones that remain blow me away. I would love to have one for my 62 Jell-O set and possibly a second one for my other favorites. I apologize if I missed it, but is there a waiting list(can't imagine there wouldn't be) or can I just PM you for details??
    Tim

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks perkdog and Brad.

Tim, I don't know how you missed this thread as well, even though it will go for a couple of months before I posts a new piece :). Unfortunately My boat is being deployed next week and won't be able to make any boxes for awhile, this will be my last underway before I retire. I start the retirement process the end of December and will be able to catch up on a lot of projects. I do plan on woodworking full time when I settle down from retirement and having fun. You can pm me that's fine, I like talking shop haha. The pictures before got lost in photobucket where I accidentally changed the file name.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Lol, I just got back into this stuff about a year ago and was a very infrequent visitor to the boards for 4-5 years before that. I have to admit, if someone posts "Just made a Pretty Sweet PSA Storage Box", 98 times out of 100 it's going to be some piece of junk made out of some pine 2 x 2's or cardboard and duct tape. Had I known what works of art were lurking, I would have followed it religiously! I will shoot you a short pm in the next few days. I'm not in a hurry... I mean, I would love to have one of them now but I realize something like that takes time and I'm betting when you finalize your retirement, you will have many people lined up waiting. Be safe in your travels and thank you as well for your service!
    Tim

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I just joined the forums recently and had to check out this thread when I saw the title. There are some great looking boxes here. I just started collecting PSA graded cards about a year ago and I have been thinking about building some boxes like these. My other hobby besides collecting cards is woodworking so this is the best way to combine the two!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

Thought most of you will enjoy my way to work. The Might Moe USS Missouri, very few people get to see this side of the ship.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Kris,

It’s fun working with both passions at the same time, makes collecting more fun. Does take a while to make though.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Finally had some time in the shop. Now it’s time to wood work again :)

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Very nice!!

Kris

• Options

Welcome back!!!! Been long awaiting your return!!!!

• Options

Just think my friend May 31 is the retirement date, then move back to the mainland and really go to town on making boxes :)

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

@lilmule said:
    Just think my friend May 31 is the retirement date, then move back to the mainland and really go to town on making boxes :)

Where's home going to be?

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Mike

Gratulations on retirement buddy.

31 yrs/2 wars - way too many moves to count to include 2 other unaccompanied tours/not war related - very happy to hang up the spurs.

I'm looking forward to see what you present.

Mike
  • Options

Home is Northern California where there is actually mountains and trees :)

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Really enjoy seeing your work. Glad you are back.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best wishes for your upcoming retirement, Mike! Your work is phenomenal, as always!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have the honor of owning one of these boxes, but I have followed this thread since its inception out of sheer ardor for the craftsmanship that you put into each box. The work you do, Mike, is remarkable. Best wishes in retirement and in all you do. Maybe one day I can commission you for a custom box.

Andy

Andy

• Options
    edited April 2, 2019 9:17PM

I’m glad I’m back to Brad lol. Andy, thank you for the kind words an the fellowship of the thread usually always something new being made as I’m sure you already know. Here is a few months I will be heading home and starting the new career of woodworking, getting excited. Haven’t bought any cards for awhile, trying to upgrade the shop little at a time when it’s finished it’s on lol

Couple of pens just finished up

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilmule said:

Aloha!
    Congrats on your upcoming retirement.
    Bill aka clarke442

Owner of ...

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Good luck to you Mike! Hope you have been well.
    Tony

• Options

Bill, that's one of my first boxes :) that's so awesome to see again Thank you.

Tony, I have been doing good. No more deployments, or going underway and starting to concentrate just on retiring. A lot of medical and working with the VA for disability. Exploring the avenues of starting the woodshop business and all the details that's involved. I'm excited to start the new chapter, and being able to really get back into collecting again.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Something a little different a paddle with rope haha

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2019 3:03PM

So I thought I would try something a little different this time and made a dresser like card holder. Let me know what you guys think of the design? I was kind of surprised on how much wood went into making this dresser. The drawers are made of all African Mahogany and the box itself is made completely of a wood called Sepele.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I had half the skills that you do. Beautiful piece!

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

agreed, great piece

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    kerryvillekerryville Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Ok. That’s just awesome. Well done.

Looking for:
    1992 Collectors Edge Football case?
  • Options

Beautiful workmanship Mike.

It appears to be a foot deep?

What do you estimate it'll hold? I'm thinking around 200 -208?

Mike
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

I love your woodwork projects and pics. You have a real talent there.

• Options

Stone,
    Your good. It was close to 13” deep and just over 200 cards. Good Eye :) it was something different I wanted to try, might try and do one that will hold 600 probally little later or if I get an order for one haha.
    Thank you all for the kind comments

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

That looks great! I've been thinking about making something like this to hold a complete set of 71T. I'll have to wait until I finish my current project.

I'm building one of these.

Kris

• Options

Here is one that will hold an awesome set.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

The most recent pics are for my 1948 Leaf Boxing set. If you have a cherished set to hold or desire something regal to store your collectibles, place an order today. This is my second purchase and I couldn't be happier. Thank you again!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

Ok, so I was trying to be patient and give you some time to get back to normalcy after getting back but..... how do I place an order for a box???

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Great stuff Mike!

Glad to have one of your works of art. I couldn't be happier!

Tony

• Options

Joe, Tony

Of course thank you for the kind words, its always appreciated. I'm just glad that you guys enjoy them for the collection. Overall I'm in just Awww seeing some of these personal collections that goes into my boxes, for myself it's pretty exciting.

Promethius just message me if you like.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

The new additions to the family of collection boxes. The finish is finally cured and ready for the collection :) They were made with African Mahogany, Koa and Monkey Pod wood. Looks great all together.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Wow incredible as always. Someday I will have to forego a card or two and buy something nice to put them in! Thank you for sharing.

• Options

Super excited to get mine!! Mike has been great to work with. Very accommodating with explaining the process, updates, pics, etc. What I love most is the passion he seems to have for what most people consider a job. Like they say, find a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life! Thank you so much!

• Options

Just got my box in the mail. Have been anxiously awaiting it's arrival all morning. Pressed my nose against the front window more than once looking for the mail truck!! Filled it with my ongoing 62 Jell-O set withing about 5 minutes of it's unpacking! Beautiful work and thank you so much for doing this for me Mike!!!
    For anyone considering having Mike make you a box.....stop considering it and do it. Amazing work and great to deal with. You will NOT be disappointed!
    Oh yeah, I will add pics when I get off work later with the cards inside!

• Options

This one is way too cool Mike!

You are to the PSA box artwork what Graig Kreindler is to painted art.

Pure artistry buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Thank you very much guys, I truly appreciate it.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Just a suggestion. You need to sign your boxes. Betting a signed item will bring a premium down the road with your talent!

• Options

Maybe a custom brand like this

Kris

• Options

Check under the box and you’ll have a surprise :)

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Ok, got sidetracked the other day with date night, grilling then out of town, gorgeous weather and sleeping. My phone does not do this justice but here is mine with my 62 Jell-O cards.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe I ever got a chance to comment in this thread, but the quality of your work is amazing Mike.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2019 5:21PM

So last time I went home for vacation over to Northern California, My son and I was taking a walk on our property. Low and behold these guys were not wanting me to go further so I decided to take advantage of them. Just finished the frame for them to look nice on my wall. Something a little different.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

I’ve been working on this a little bit between projects but now finished. The cards aren’t the actual ones that are going to be displayed which will come from my personal collection. It’s made with the premium Koa with using Museum glass.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Wow those are incredible!!