Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just made a Pretty Sweet PSA Storage Box

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilmule said:
    It truly saddens me to say that I will not be posting anymore boxes or woodwork for a long time. Unfortunately there was a Forrest fire that came rushing down the mountain and with a very little warning my family and I were evacuated only having 30 minutes to grab everything we can and leave. We are safe which is the good thing, but our home, ranch, wood shop, business has been burnt to the ground. I did save some of my collection and what I could. If you want to know where I lived it was Happy Camp CA if you look at the fire it was called the slatter butte fire.

so terribly sorry, Mike, but i'm very happy to read that you and your family are safe. things can be replaced, but lives cannot.
    don't hesitate to contact me if you need anything.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm sure I'm not the only one that got that bad feeling in the pit of my stomach when I read your post and thinking of how that would affect my own life and everyone & everything in it. I'm glad everyone is safe but sad for everything else. We all wish you thoughts and prayers as you work to rebuild everything and get back to something resembling a regular life.

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. So here was a three day short story. We were evacuated for the house with a 30 min warning, you could litterely see the flames coming down the mountain. Traveled to my Aunts further south, was evacuated from there the next morning but the house is ok, then we traveled further south and stayed with my friend that lives on the Navy Base there and the next morning had a base wide Bomb Threat. What a week, you can’t make this stuff up. I left my family there and I’m heading back north to see what I can do to start seeing everything and get going with the next steps.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Best of luck, Mike.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear about his buddy. Glad to hear you and your family are all safe. Let us know if you need anything!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Well I’m proud to say that the home has passed the final inspection with the county and 100% finished. Now will hopefully start on the wood shop here in the near future to be able to build the card boxes again. 95% of the lumber was milled by myself from the trees on the property along with all the redwood.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats - must be so rewarding to have the skills to truly build your own home like the pioneers used to. Admire your skills and congratulations!

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

For anyone that doesn't know Mike, he did a complete Koa box for me. It is the centerpiece of my office. He does amazing work and I'm very happy that he came to this board to post his art pieces.

Mike
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

with the possibility of forest fires...why didnt you rebuild using brick or metal?

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

Your property is gorgeous. Congrats and thank you for updating the thread.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely beautiful, Joe! Good luck with everything!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@ndleo said:
    For anyone that doesn't know Mike, he did a complete Koa box for me. It is the centerpiece of my office. He does amazing work and I'm very happy that he came to this board to post his art pieces.

Koa is crazy expensive. As a woodworker, I was thinking of what project to do. Can't believe I didn't consider building card storage boxes.

@lilmule
    Nice boxes. Thanks for the inspiration. How are you handling the cross-grain glue-ups for the top? Assuming you're gluing the top to the top's mitered frame. Humidity can get down to 0% here, and that would cause the top to crack.
    Also what was your solution for the bottom? Plywood/MDF in a groove?

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Congrats - must be so rewarding to have the skills to truly build your own home like the pioneers used to. Admire your skills and congratulations!

Thank you Brad,

It was defiantly challenging to learn a whole new hobby besides collecting cards and woodworking. With all the lumber on the property I am finding some true gems that is going to make some gorgeous boxes. With any hobby as this group knows it gets very expensive and timely lol

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

@ndleo said:

Thank you my friend.

I remember that box very well I'm jealous about your box lol, that was some beautiful Koa. I'm glad it's your centerpiece and your collection I'm sure is thriving hopefully soon I'll get back into collecting I do miss it. Great to see it, thank you.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

@coinspacks said:
    with the possibility of forest fires...why didnt you rebuild using brick or metal?

I used a Hari Back for the siding with a three foot stem wall and metal roof so tried to make it as close to fire resistant as I could while keeping the house modern.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Absolutely beautiful, Joe! Good luck with everything!

Thank you my friend.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

@RonSportscards said:

@ndleo said:

Koa is crazy expensive. As a woodworker, I was thinking of what project to do. Can't believe I didn't consider building card storage boxes.

@lilmule
    Nice boxes. Thanks for the inspiration. How are you handling the cross-grain glue-ups for the top? Assuming you're gluing the top to the top's mitered frame. Humidity can get down to 0% here, and that would cause the top to crack.
    Also what was your solution for the bottom? Plywood/MDF in a groove?

Took a long time to figure out some combinations with the wood. You have to make sure that the wood is as close to the same moisture content as possible, with your edges they have to be perfectly mitered with no airgaps, mixing wood glue with another type of glue for extra protection, I put a wax conditioner on the wood then seal it in with a poly there so soooo much that goes into making the boxes, I would have to write a book to explain it all lol.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back my friend!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!! Miss seeing your work out here. Glad to see you are back up and going!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Mike, I am very happy to see that you have rebuilt in such an incredible way. Absolutely beautiful. Hope all is well. Enjoy the new baseball season.

"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options

Great to hear from you Mikey. The house is finished, the 2nd house has final inspection tomorrow, then it will be finished. Here in a few weeks will start making forward progress in the big wood shop again to be able to make boxes again. I just ordered a bunch of Koa lumber from Hawaii which should be here in a couple of months.

The main house

The rental

The woodshed

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Awesome.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice work! Glad to see you are still woodworking. I love the African Mahogany and Bubinga. Too bad there is such a shortage!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Hi Michael,

Was talking about your work to another hobby friend. Still have my box and love it. It's a great family keepsake.

Congrats on your new home!

Tony

• Options

@aconte said:
    Hi Michael,

Was talking about your work to another hobby friend. Still have my box and love it. It's a great family keepsake.

Congrats on your new home!

Tony

Tony,

That is fantastic, makes me truly happy hearing that and encourages me to get off my ass and get my shop going agian lol. I did however was lucky enough to find a substantial amount of Koa wood from the big Island of Hawaii, I'm currently in the works of trying to have it shipped and delivered to me here which is going to be a pain in the ass but when I receive it then that will be a wood that would help make the boxes again.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

@Cakes said:
    Very nice work! Glad to see you are still woodworking. I love the African Mahogany and Bubinga. Too bad there is such a shortage!

Well I guess Building houses is woodworking lol but I enjoy the furniture type of woodworking . African Mahogany and Bubinga are getting tough to get, When I start looking for that type of wood again I hope it will be a little easier. I have a pretty good supplier for exotic lumber a few hours drive away from me so have to get on their ass more when the shop goes up. Thank you for your comment.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats, Mike! Things look great and you deserve the very best~good luck!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@RonSportscards said:

Why would the top crack? What would cause that to happen?

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 811 ✭✭✭✭

@MikeyP said:

@RonSportscards said:

Changes in humidity can cause wood to expand and contract across its grain.
    If you glue a panel that moves to something that doesn't move at the same rate, the wood may crack or the glue may fail.

Here, the wood panel shrunk in drier climate. The panel pull away from the mitered rail as the glue failed instead of the panel cracking open. In this case, the miter frame was stronger than the glue joint.

Here, the panel expanded in high humidity causing the panel to swell, and in this case, the movement caused the miter joints to pop open as the miter joint failed.

Now, this is not to say this will happen 100% of the time. If the humidity/moisture content of the wood is very similar to when it was built, to where the completed box is stored now, and it stays consistent and in a controlled environment, then there is little chance of an issue. But if the boxes are made in Florida for example, and then shipped to NV or vice versa, then there could be an issue.

• Options

Oh! Yes, that makes complete sense. Thanks for the tutorial, Ron. Very much appreciated.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see you're making a comeback!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@RonSportscards said:

@MikeyP said:

@RonSportscards said:

Changes in humidity can cause wood to expand and contract across its grain.
    If you glue a panel that moves to something that doesn't move at the same rate, the wood may crack or the glue may fail.

Here, the wood panel shrunk in drier climate. The panel pull away from the mitered rail as the glue failed instead of the panel cracking open. In this case, the miter frame was stronger than the glue joint.

Here, the panel expanded in high humidity causing the panel to swell, and in this case, the movement caused the miter joints to pop open as the miter joint failed.

Now, this is not to say this will happen 100% of the time. If the humidity/moisture content of the wood is very similar to when it was built, to where the completed box is stored now, and it stays consistent and in a controlled environment, then there is little chance of an issue. But if the boxes are made in Florida for example, and then shipped to NV or vice versa, then there could be an issue.

Couldn’t explain it better myself, Thanks.
    I've also had someone put a very complicated box in the window seal for a long period of time with the direct sunlight constantly hitting it which created some breakdown and warping of the wood so please don’t constantly leave it in the window.
    When I work with the wood I try and get the closest to equal moisture content I can to help prevent that from happening. When working with 2 different types of woods and one wood has a higher moisture content then it will shrink unevenly creating a split in the joinery.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies