Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just made a Pretty Sweet PSA Storage Box

Comments

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

That is pretty sweet. Looks like the box is wrapped with a red ribbon for the Christmas tree. And the stand, wow, looks awesome a well. I'm in for two or three. I would display those cases full of cards in my display cases. Just let me know when the ETA is.
    Thanks...John

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

@lilmule said:
    Thank you all for the comments, sorry I haven't been on here for a few days been extremely busy at work and in the shop. I have a couple more that's almost finished I will take pictures of. Thanks again and Patrick what did your son think?

He's only three, but he LOVES it as much as I do! When cards come in the mail he says, "have to put these in the Superman box" then we look at and read the backs for at least 15 minutes. Great new stuff you've added!

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

I just finished up with this box. By all means this is the Babe Ruth of all boxes. Sorry for a few pictures but really wanted to show the definition of this wood its awesome. (well to me it is lol) I put a maroon felt on the bottom and torched the sides with a torch to bring out the purple on the sides of the wood.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! She's a beaut! Was this one a commission, for yourself or for sale?

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

I made this one for a board member on here. I'll let the member disclose himself if he would like. He wanted this particular wood, took a couple of weeks just to find the wood and had to get it right after it came out of the Kilm.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

This latest box reminds me of the scene in The Shining when the elevator door opens... :o

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beauty, Mike!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Thanks Tim!! :pB):D;)

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing workmanship. I have liked them all but this is my favorite.

• Options

I'm looking at this box for the first time on the computer and really love how the grain on the lid matches the sides. Excellent attention to detail!

• Options

Brad, this one is my favorite as well lol.

Patrick Thank you for the comment. Its fun with no two boxes alike all of them a little or a lot different. Wood is amazing with such an amazing variety here. Learning different techniques and styles to work on the boxes. Its amazing how far they have come from the first box I originally made for myself and thought I would share it with the boards. To your darn superman box lol.

Tim as always thank you.

Mike, that was a pretty funny about the shining comment, I was actually laughing.

I had the box in my house now for over a day to let the finish completely cure, the lighting with the christmas tree right next to it made the curl really come out it was pretty cool. It was great working with this wood and seeing it come to life at the end. Very rare do I work with Koa of this high grade.

Merry Christmas everyone

Mike

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Well I just finished up the probably last three boxes that I am going to make for awhile. Times getting shorter and I might be stationed in Guam back to Sea Duty soon, where I won't have hardly any time for wood working. I retire here in 3 years and planning on opening up a more professional wood shop instead of working out of my garage, heck Im going to get a laser engraver as well to put a lot more detail that I couldn't do before. Thank you all for the inspiration and glad that I was able to help with the hobby that I really enjoy. Overall I just got really tired of seeing the sports greats in a tacky cardboard boxes lol. It's raining here today so the pictures didn't come out to well rather if it was sunny then you could truly see the definition and the finish. These boxes are made with using the Sepele wood.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

The third box using last of the African Mahogany

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck in Guam - these boxes are all amazing. Will miss seeing your handywork on here. I am sure once you retire folks on the board can keep you busy with orders.

• Options

Great looking box there! I agree with all you said. My son and I love our box.

• Options

Those are some awesome pictures Thank You. I enjoy seeing the overall finished project with the collection inside being displayed proudly.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aloha Mike !
    Always enjoy seeing your new creations.
    I am finally in my new house, but not fully settled in yet.
    When I am, I will post a picture of my "Stowage" box proudly displayed.
    Safe travels to Guam.
    Mahalo my friend, Bill

• Options

Bill,
    Wow, your finally in the house lol it's been awhile. Congrats my friend, thanks for the safe travels. I still don't have orders yet, but comming soon though.

Aloha
    Mike

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Well, here I am. My orders got canceled to go to Guam and looks like I will be finishing up here in Hawaii till I retire in a couple years. I will be going back out to sea, so that will be taking a lot of my time. I just made my son a display case to hold all of his awards. The shelf has holes where 8 baseballs will fit into as well. When he came home today I surprised him and had it hanging.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cool looking display case. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Awesome looking display case Mike!
    Your son is a lucky Boy to have a hand made trophy case.

ps Sorry to hear you are stuck in Hawaii for 2 more years, hope you can cope. (LOL)

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:
    Looks like somebody paid attention in woodshop.

Hopefully you paid attention to the part about using a table saw and be careful with your fingers lol!

Sadly, I saw a kid, when I was in 10th grade, lose 3. People were running out puking. Good times.

Great job!

ditto

• Options

Thanks guys. I try and watch the fingers each time lol. In fact one of my friends was using his band saw and hit a knot in the wood, the wood adjusted and he was not able to get his fingers out of the way. He lost Three fingers. Yea another 2 years here in Hawaii, I know for most of you I am extremely lucky, but for myself being here for 12 years, I'm tired of it lol. My vacation is going home to Cali.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Great work as always!

Speaking of losing fingers, I'm ordering one of these in the upcoming weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiYoBbEZwlk

• Options

Patrick, I kept all my fingers after this project :), I just finished up making this coffee table for the wife. I like those saws pretty expensive I believe. Measures H: 16" L 54" W 25" I used Danish oil for the finish. Sorry not baseball card related.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Those boxes are nice. Can you make in different sizes? I have these cardcasepro.com vinyl covers on my high end PSA cards and the outside measures are 4" x 5 3/4". Can you make smaller boxes with one row? I would pay you well to do these boxes. I've been thinking about this for a while as I don't like to fit all my cards in a large box which I have several. I have many high end cards I don't want to stack and the vinyl cover with the window is a pretty cool protector for each card. My email is mpmehan@gmail.com and my cell phone is 602 708 1630. Your boxes are awesome!

Mike

Collecting Buster Posey PSA 10's or BGS 9.5's/10's
  • Options

Been a long time. I have been out to sea for the past four months, but I just finished up another project, and this box was certainly a challenge. I was thinking after making several boxes that Its kind of funny, with just like collecting baseball cards where everyone collects something different in a sense, each box someone wants something new or different lol. Enjoy the pictures. Its good to be back home.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Mike that is a Big League Koa Box. Thanks for all your hard work between serving our country.

Mike

• Options

Aloha Mike !
    Welcome back !
    As always some nice work !

ps
    I updated my "missing photobucket" photos in the thread to show off your work some more
    pss
    I still don't have my house/man-cave set up yet

• Options

Thanks Bill, I remember that box, been awhile lol.
    Still don't have the house man cave yet, what's taken you so long lol.
    I do truly enjoy seeing the boxes being used, enjoyed and showed off that's awesome, just makes my day.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Well I made my first baseball holder, looks pretty cool. Out of all the woodworking I don't know why I never made one. The baseball was from when I went to Iowa and played ball with my son on the actual field. The field of dreams field was so cool especially when the corn was fully grown, couldn't ask for a better memory.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Great looking holder. Nice job!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Doug,
    Thanks I truly appreciate it. You know that I have the utmost respect for you and what you bring to the hobby.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

A couple more projects over the past couple weeks.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lilmule Your boxes are quite simply amazing. Quality work!
    Question for you...where do you get your various wood at?

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Hey stooge, thanks for the comment. I live here in Hawaii so am able to get some beautiful exotic woods only grown here. There are a few local mills here that I pick up most of the lumber.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

A pretty cool box.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

That's so awesome, I'm truly glad that you enjoy the boxes.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Great work once again.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Doug as always your one of the legends. Thank you

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Been Extremely busy lately. Here are some of the projects that I just finished up.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Another Box made out of Cherry with an Mahogany Stain. Usually I don't like working with stain to much, but this was a must :) for the premium desk its going to be sitting on.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

The box. I call this box "Old Faithful" Just finished up as well.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Nice stuff as always Mike!

"Old Faithful" is awesome!

:oB)

Tony

• Options

Christmas vacation at its best. I was very fortunate to have a little time off of my primary job and worked long hours in the shop, it was so much fun.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Mike that KOA box is incredible. Hope some special cards going in that box! > @LOTSOS said:

WOW! She's a beaut! Was this one a commission, for yourself or for sale?

Kevin

Mike

• Options
    edited January 7, 2018 10:55PM

Hey Mike,
    nope not for sale, that one was commission. Im sure some very special cards will be going in there, I just want to see lol

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

I just made this PSA storage case with my dad.

https://youtu.be/kkh0GkYtMD0

• Options

That holder is pretty sweet. The collection that goes in there must be amazing. Thank you for sharing. The dovetails look nice and snug, with a nice finish as well. Awesome!!!

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

@lilmule said:
    That holder is pretty sweet. The collection that goes in there must be amazing. Thank you for sharing. The dovetails look nice and snug, with a nice finish as well. Awesome!!!

Thanks. Not trying to hijack your thread. You do AMAZING work too.