Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just made a Pretty Sweet PSA Storage Box

Comments

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    wow, awesome again..i do appreciate the talent it takes to be able to say ..im gonna make a war axe...and then produce the quality of that one? ...wow again...please continue to share your workmanship.....ive only had woodshop in the 6th grade but do love the craftsmanship...youre making it tough on me...ha....see? and I'm not jealous and hating image
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Bill,

The pictures makes me proud to be working with wood. I enjoy seeing my craftsmanship being utilized and people enjoying it, it makes it worth while. I really like the picture that you did when you pinned out your box out of the bunch, that's pretty cool. Including seeing some of your personal collection being stored in the box. Thank you for posting the pictures I truly enjoyed seeing the box again being used. Your right about the pictures and actually seeing it up close, when you see it up close you can see the real definition of the wood including the grains.

LOL about the War Ax, it was a different project that I thought I would try out especially being here is Hawaii a lot of people like those type of things.

Mahalo

Mike

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Just finished up a nice Curly Koa Box thought I would share.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning work, Mike! Your craftsmanship really brings out the natural grain and beauty in the wood.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    So the USS Michael Murphy came to me a few weeks ago to ask me to build them a Coffee Cup holder for the Officer Mess. For such a well known Destroyer it was an honor. This is the idea that I came up with and made. It came out to be 40"-W and 43"-L, its just missing the pegs to put the cups on.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Wow -- that's some sweet craftsmanship --- I may reach out to you to customize a few boxes for my collection.

Best, Erik
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Will SGC cards fit in these cases?
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Eric,

Im sure that I can make a little bigger to be able ho hold any cards :-)

Thank you grote, the grains is what really makes the piece, the craftsmanship comes second :-)
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    That is an amazing looking box.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    That curly Koa box is awesome. Love the Wenge splines. Please PM me on your finishing techniques for these. (conditioner, seal/top coat, Poly, etc). You have some sharp miters. Looking great.

I was recently given a free truckload of different exotic woods in different dimensions from woodworker that turns segmented bowls. Awesome figure in alot of the pieces and can't wait to put something together with them.

Thumbs up.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike

An AWESOME box. I love mine! Needed a display box for my desk (to keep cards I want to access more frequently in easier reach than my Card Vault cases which still house the bulk of my collection) and Mike's craftsmanship fit the bill.

It's a bit heavy fully loaded, but as a desktop display its PERFECT.

Thanks Mike. Sending a referral your way for one of these.

Dave
  • Options
    Dave,

Im glad that you received it safe and sound. I didn't hear from you for a little while so I was worried something happened to it. Im sure its heavy loaded lol thats a lot of cards, how many were you able to fit in there? Im glad you like it and appreciate it.

Thank you very much 1980scollector always much appreciated

Guitarwes- Those miters are kind of a Bit**. Sometimes I have to redo a piece or two which gets frustrating lol. Ill pm you and we can talk wood lol.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Here is another project I just finished up. Can you imagine the cards being displayed on one of these image. I made it for a fundraiser for the Submarine dolphin Scholarship.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Here are a pair of surfboards I just finished up. I was thinking of turning them into towel hangers or coat hangers or something. Made with Walnut, Curly Maple and Wenge. I really like the grain and the texture, makes it look old fashioned or more seasoned.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    What a beautiful box. Sure beats my rubber maid storage bins.
  • Options
    So I made a few more surfboards using different woods. So far out of all the surfboards which ones do you the board members like the best?? the fist picture is a board using Sepele Wood with Wenge and Maple. The second and the third one are curly maple with purple heart and wedge. Enjoy the pictures.

I turned the first picture into this, I thought it would look cool lol

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Sweet. Its like choosing among your children. I love all 3.
  • Options
    Mike, you are truly gifted in your work. Remarkable pieces, as always. It's amazing what detail and beauty you bring out of wood.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    thank you Tim. Isn't it past your bedtime lol, I'm kidding.

thebaseballcard you have to pick your opinion of the nicest one image
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    LOL, it is a lot later here in NY, that is true...I'm hitting the hay in just a few minutes, actually. image

• Options
    Mike, PM sent
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Some nice work for sure.

aconte
  • Options
    Mike, love the addition of the coat hooks on one of the mini surfboards. Beautiful piece!

• Options
    Well almost wrapping up on another box, I just have some detail work to do with it but enough to have a couple pictures of it out now. This box is made with Walnut, Maple, and PurpleHeart. This box was a booger to make. Ill take a couple more pictures tomorrow in the sunlight.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    WOW! That's stunning. You have some serious talent Mike.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    The craftsmanship and attention to detail on these boxes is exceptional, Mike~well done!

• Options
    Thanks Tim and Matt, spending a little while on this one lol. Almost finished.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Here are a couple of pictures of the box in the sun including the inside of the box image came out pretty good.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Awesome. That kind of mitered top is especially difficult, some people just don't realize how difficult. The figure in those pieces are stunning!

Got a little happy mortising those hinges eh? Hey, I have to rag you on something, everything else is perfect!
  • Options
    The top was a bit** especially for what you said with it being mitered took awhile lol. the 3/4" hang on all four sides was a booger as well especially with the hinges. Hinges always have been the death of me, you get so frustrated with those darn things even though everyone thinks they are simple lol. I was going to inlay with a little purple hear to cover up the little area and give it a little different feature. But yes that box was a booger and took awhile image
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    The newest project almost finished. Its a 3ft surfboard made with Sapele, Wenge, with of course cast iron palm trees lol

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Been a little while since I done a project so here is a few that I just finished up, 7 8x10 Sapele blank Plaques and 2 Mahogany, Purple Heart, Maple Spear Head Plaques

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Well A couple more projects almost finished this weekend. Just need a couple more coats of finish.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    The latest additions look stunning, Mike! You are truly a gifted woodworker!

• Options
    Hey Tim,

I used a piece of Old Koa which I think gives it more of a rustic look when looking at it up close. Thanks Bud as always much appreciated.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    stagno33stagno33 Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Mike's latest masterpiece has found its way to its new home and I couldn't be any happier. Here are some pics of a few of my favorites in their new resting place.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unreal craftsmanship. I'd pony up for one of those bad boys...
  • Options
    Joe,

Thank you very much for the pictures. I'm very impressed with your collection, and glad to see the box hard at work. Those pictures are awesome and I appreciate the show.

Thanks
    Mike
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    I just finished up the twins. The grains and the curls of these boxes are awesome, overall took me three weeks but they came out awesome. I named the boxes the Twins, overall they are the exactly the same, but completely different. Enjoy the pictures

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Beautiful work, as always, Mike!

• Options
    I knew you would still be up Tim lol
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lilmule

I knew you would still be up Tim lol

This is mid afternoon for me, LOL..

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The finish on these boxes puts the 62/87 Topps woodgrain cards to shame. Nice work.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    You are really acquiring some nice figured woods. That coupled with your great craftsmanship makes all the difference.
  • Options
    A couple more boxes just made, I used the blue flocking this time with the handle and hinges.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    arexarex Posts: 999
    As usual...beautiful!
  • Options
    Thank you Arex, good to see you on the boards lol
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Dang that is nice. The more I look at these, the more I want one. is there anyway that you can add something to these - something from keeping the cards from falling over since someone like me doesn't have enough cards to fill these things like other members. I have an idea but your the craftsman here.
  • Options
    Hey Marc,

Yea I can do something like what your talking about, I just have to be creative lol.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies