Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just made a Pretty Sweet PSA Storage Box

Comments

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

You didn't hijack, that was very impressive. I would be proud to show that as well. Ill bet that was a great experience working on it with your dad.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2018 9:33PM

Old Faithfuls brother is coming out of the woodworks. I really like the purple heart wood with the maroon felt and the curl of the wood.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Been working on this box a little bit at a time for a month. Had to do a lot of fixing with the cracks and holes filling with an epoxy etc.. but the grains turned out amazing I thought. Since no missile attack :) was able to work in the shop almost all weekend. I can't wait to see the collection that will be in here.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Sweet new boxes you are working on Mike! Good luck to you and the collectors picking them up.

I want to start out by thanking Mike for sharing all the pictures and talents with us here and giving us the chance to
    add some great storage boxes to our collections. I have been looking from a far for over a year. Then at the end of
    2017, I contacted Mike about having a box done for me. I was excited to do so.

Anyhow, I was the lucky recepient of "Old Faithful" as Mike so eloquently named the box. His work is even more
    impressive in person. Simply incredible. Thank you Mike!

Here are some pictures. I like the fact I can add my tallboys and some other grading company holders to the mix
    that are in my collection.

I have cards to scan and will organize it better so I'll come back when I get them done.

Take care,

Tony

• Options

Tony,
    My wife and I miss old faithful and his brother. One of the reasons why I named it "old faithful" was because at every direction you hold it in the light it always changes and never the same, just like old faithful it is very predictable when the time it blows, but never blows the same. I love all the pictures but of course the first one stands out to me, like opening a Christmas present and just seeing it just pop out at you with excitement. Thank you very much for the pictures, I am truly enjoying seeing the box being utilized with an awesome collection, makes the box complete and worth while.

Thank you
    Mike

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Mike

I don't tell you enough how incredible your workmanship is.

If I ever decided to "feature" my 63F set?

You're the guy to do it justice buddy.

Thanx for showing.

Mike
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Very nice. Looks great

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Incredible work! Can't wait for mine to be next in queue!

Go Dodgers!
  • Options

Well I have been working on these two boxes for a little while. Had to go to sea for a couple of weeks and only had this weekend to finish them up. Will be gong for another couple of weeks next week, then will be home for a little bit. They are made of Cherry wood. The cherry has some pretty nice grains that reminds me of a puzzle with some black wenge to give it more contrast and some nice curl which is kind of rare for that specific wood.
    Don't worry Mike, yours is getting close on the list :)

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Been a little while, been out to sea for awhile but just finished up this Black walnut, Koa and black wenge trim box. All the woods looks pretty awesome together.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are truly amazing. I enjoy seeing the boxes you create.

• Options

Thank you brad, I appreciate it.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Just stunning Mike.

Question.

If a small laser cut bronze colored logo for 1963 Fleer could be made up - could that be "sunk" into the top of the box?

Thought that would be cool.

Mike
  • Options

Hey Mike,

Oh oh what are you thinking lol?
    Not to hard, just the top would be thicker and would have to enclose the top with the sides the route the design of the logo in the wood pending on thickness to have a more uniform look all together, rather than having a thick piece of wood on top of the box, it would look kind of tacky if you know what I mean.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

That card cabinet that stores well over 1,000 cards is amazing. So are the cases above.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

The snake box, using an Australian lacewood. The texture and grain of this wood makes it look like the scales of a snake skin.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

That does look really nice Mike.

What's the capacity?

Mike
  • Options

Hey mike,
    The ones I usually make hold 150 give or take a Couple. I have to get the shipping supplies through amazon by ordering minimum of 25 cardboard boxes because living in Hawaii is outrageous for just buying them if you know what I mean?

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

This is a checkered one, that I'm finishing up. Still needs the finish but pretty cool.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

@lilmule said:
    The snake box, using an Australian lacewood. The texture and grain of this wood makes it look like the scales of a snake skin.

Can't wait to get the snake box home to Cleveland and put my HOF autograph set in it! Great work Mike!

-Michael

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for a shout-out. First and foremost, Mike (lilmule) is one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to run across. He is truly a gentleman and a scholar with some mad, mad skills. Second, a couple of years ago he unleashed his creativity and assembled a box that I'm still smitten with today. I recently went back over our conversation thread and realized that he had specifically asked that I post pictures here. Well, I suck big-time. I see that I never actually did on this particular thread, so here it is, my friend -- almost two years to the day.

My box consists of Golden Koa, Curly Maple and African Mahogany. The thing I love so much about mine is that it's a veritable chameleon. When any form of light hits the GK strip just right, the golden aspect comes to life.

Thanks again, Mike!

• Options

Stephen,
    That box and the lighting is awesome, and yes you are correct its been two years lol. I can't believe I have been making boxes this long, funny thing was it was only suppose to be mine that I made myself. Im very proud of the boxes and still humbled that collectors store there hard earned cards and memorabilia inside the box. Thank you so much for sharing, just makes my day.

Mike, I can't wait for you to get yours as well, that lacewood is pretty incredible.

Thank you

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Here's something a little different. A friend collects vintage wrappers, I haven't seen them but I'm sure it's an amazing collection. He requested a box to hold them made out of Koa, so with a different project I changed it up a little. It's made with beautiful Koa wood, yellow heart and Purple Heart wood. The top I extended the top past the edges so had to balance out the box with a molding on the bottom.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

As usual, looks great Mike.

Never thought I'd see a box for wrappers - very interesting.

Mike
  • Options

Koa wood, was hard to find before but now it's getting crazy. Went to a few wood suppliers in search for some, and they are out, there suppliers from the big island are out as well. I don't think there will be to many more boxes made with the beautiful Koa, I do have just one more box then I have to build my collection of the Koa. I thought it was expensive before, but like mantle cards it just keeps going up. That's to bad it's such a beautiful wood.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Both boxes now have a finish, the checkered pattern as shown before but with a finish and another pretty Koa.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Really nice looking Mike.

Did someone ask for a chess board?

Mike
  • Options

Actually in between different stages on other boxes when they were drying from the glue, or drying in the finish stage, I was working on this box over a long period of time. So believe it or not it's an extra box which is pretty rare because I never have time to make extra ones. The checkered pattern, I thought of something different and see how it would come out, overalI I think it came out pretty sweet.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

I call this one the big boy box, and it only took me a few months to almost finish it :)

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Great stuff Mike! I've missed the last few posts so it is nice to see the new boxes you have recently worked on.
    Super nice! I have to post some more pics of mine with my cards when I get a chance. I love it.

Tony

• Options

Tony,

I'm looking forward to seeing "old faithful" again :)

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Well the wife finally snuck a picture of myself working on a box.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Cool "personal" shot Mike.

Pretty soon you'll have loads of time to make boxes.

Mike
  • Options

Finishing up this box. The top reminds me of angel wings, what do you think?

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I just stumbled on this thread and again WOW! Stunning craftsmanship, definitely high end work

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Just wanted to give a huge shoutout to Mike for working on 2 boxes for my 1956 topps set. The boxes were a gift from my wife for my birthday. She had done a lot of the coordination with Mike with a few details from me on what I wanted. Mike was great to work with and he did an unbelievable job on my two boxes. Here are a few pictures. The pictures do not do the boxes any justice as they are 10x better when you see them up close....Thanks, Mike!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful work, Mike! You are a true artist when it comes to woodworking.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Jeremy,

You know how hard it was not posting pictures of the boxes, because I didn't want you to see them lol. Love the pictures, especially the one the wife took with your son playing inside the cardboard box making a mess with the peanuts lol. Happy Birthday my friend, and love that collection it looks incredible.

Thank you perkdog, very much appreciated.
    Thank you Tim as well, I've been eyeballing that 78 pack :)

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike,

Those are some incredible boxes that you make.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like all of them but that pair for the ‘56 set is simply amazing.

• Options

As usual, really superb stuff Mike.

I'm seeing stuff in that box - one - maybe a dog and the other a seal?

Mike
  • Options

I can kind of see what you mean Mike. That top closer pictures maybe a dolphin.

Thank you very much Donato and Brad.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

What are the deminsions of a box like your original post that will hold 150 cards?

Wondering if it would fit on my bookshelf.

• Options

Usually the box measures 12.5 x 12.5 x 6 (WxLxH) just like the first box. Unfortunately I won't have time to work on any for awhile. I was suppose to be gone already, but have to leave for awhile, then get ready for my last deployment. But of course when I come home the shop will be back up :)

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

Well was able to be inport for a little longer so I just finished up this ongoing box. Something unique and different all way round, but overall it will hold an awesome collection.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

So cool! Excellent craftsmanship

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great looking checkerboard pattern.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@divecchia said:
    That is a great looking checkerboard pattern.

Donato

+1

Mike
  • Options

New addition to my shop a 60W laser engraver. Going to take myself awhile to learn how to use it, but going to make some amazing designs.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much I can add other than stunning craftsmanship, truly beautiful work!