Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - Agree with Mike, love the date. Nice pick-up.

Mike - Nice look on your dime.

Dennis - Congrats on a very good gamble.

Pics for this AM, newp into my AU-MS collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dennis! Talk about a seller who cut himself way short with bad pictures! I saw that coin and wouldn't touch it! Best of luck and I think it should grade! Be interesting if you get a 60 or 61 as PCGS hasn't graded any at that grade. I'll prematurely award you with what I consider the biggest YOU SUCK for a Barber Half! image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Talk about taking a gamble ! I never even look at raw coins anymore
    especially on eBay. I think you struck gold there Dennis on the 1896-O
    Half and like Darrell mentioned, I see no reason it shouldn't get a MS
    designation. Then again, I wouldn't kick it to the curb if it's a 58 !!
    Nice pick up !! Good luck at the slab factory. image

Vern - Nice warmly toned 1901 Quarter ! Congrats on the pick up.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw that coin on eBay as well and took a pass due to the photos- ouch!!

A few weeks ago the PCGS Registry "shopping tool" switched to directing you to a Collectors.com website. Since that change it's not worked for my Everyman's Barber Half set. It works fine with all my other Registry sets, just not with the Barber Half Everyman set. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's as though Don Willis is trying to keep me from finding coins that will help my set. Does anyone know about a work around?
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Talk about taking a gamble ! I never even look at raw coins anymore
    especially on eBay. I think you struck gold there Dennis on the 1896-O
    Half and like Darrell mentioned, I see no reason it shouldn't get a MS
    designation. Then again, I wouldn't kick it to the curb if it's a 58 !!
    Nice pick up !! Good luck at the slab factory. image >>

No kidding on this one being a real beauty! I have been burned too many time on raw coins in the bay, so I usually didn't look at them in the past...I have probably overlooked (or not even looked at) some real gems that were shunned because of bad imaging. I should be posting my latest anyday now in this Barber thread and the Seated thread.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    There is just something about high end AU coins that...image
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Of all the 09-O's I have seen or owned - this was the one I
    wanted way back when - as at the time, it was a POP ONE
    coin in AU 58.

I'm thrilled to have landed this 09-O .... and many thanks for the hint, Dogwood.
    The other 09-O that sold recently on Heritage had pock marks [ IMO ] - This coin
    sold in April , 2008 - and as I reviewed my notes on Heritage - I knew I wanted
    this. As Liz Taylor was fond of saying " The price of butter and Diamonds keep going up..." image

EDIT: Sellers' Images:

image >>

amazing, congrats
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Pop 1 coins are among the best...1/0 goes without saying (so ignore that last part).

• Options
    Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC45:

Also, glad to have the NHL starting again tonight, it's been a long time since the Stanley Cup Finals. Go Wings.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! imageimage

And ditto on the NHL....not the Wings part though.
  • Options
    Finally posted bail (lay-a-way) on this little Doubled Die Obverse beauty;

• Options
    Addition for the Everyman set:

imageimage

From Vic Bozarth. eBay. There are only two 1907-P's with a CAC in AU 58.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    A beautiful dime, Mike, but what- no color??? Get out the crayons.

After a long drought of receiving raw cleaned coins in the mail (promptly returned) I received what I believe is a good one today- a 1900 O Half:

The surfaces look original to me. Although I suspect this will come back as an AU 50 I'm hoping for an AU 53 (I already have a 50 in the set). A tough coin to find raw and a nice looking one at that!
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I finally picked up an 1894 that I liked. It's now in a PCGS AU58 slab from an old time ANACS 60 slab. There are no luster breaks only some slight album slide marks. Now to continue the hunt.

The 1892-O Quarter is a looker. I would like to see that in hand!

Craig

• Options
    Craig-

That's a great looking '94 Quarter. It doesn't appear to have a break in the luster but it has enough scratches to indicate circulation to me. I think the 58 holder is where it belongs, but I would have added a "+" to it. It's hard to imagine that coin came from a 60 holder; I would believe 63.
  • Options

<< <i>A beautiful dime, Mike, but what- no color??? Get out the crayons.

After a long drought of receiving raw cleaned coins in the mail (promptly returned) I received what I believe is a good one today- a 1900 O Half:

The surfaces look original to me. Although I suspect this will come back as an AU 50 I'm hoping for an AU 53 (I already have a 50 in the set). A tough coin to find raw and a nice looking one at that! >>

Jeff, I don't want to be a party pooper but from the pics that looks like a cleaning details coin.
  • Options
    I guess that's why we send them in for grading- to see which way the wind blows.
  • Options
    oih8 - Congrats on the 92-O qtr variety.

Mike - That's a white one all right.

Jeff - Which way the wind blows is right. Good luck.

Craig - Congrats on the '94. Wonder why ANACS thought 60? If they didn't see rub, why not a 62?

Pics for this AM, RPM into Paesan's Stash, ANACS-58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still alive and kicking.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Kicking who? image
  • Options
    Vern, it was about 18 years ago for that ANACS plastic so who knows "why that grade".

Lenny, Good to hear! image
    Craig

• Options
    Paesan - Your coins are here as well.

Craig - Same problem today, in some cases who knows why?

Vern
    l
  • Options

Really nice 1894 Half and as we all know, not an easy grade to locate.
    I have the same grade myself which I bought off of Tom Smith in NY.
    About three years ago.

Also, nice 14-D/D Quarter too.

Sorry, Jeff, I agree with Darrell ( Mr Party Pooper ).
    It's a nicely detailed 1900-O but the looks not quite
    right. It might get an altered surface new grade ( XF
    Details ). I've had strict AU's come back Net Graded
    Details of VF - cleaned. So, it's a crap shoot, as you know.
    It's still a nice looking coin, regardless.

Nothing new to report.... I sort of blew the budget on the
    1909-O Quarter in 58.

There's always room for pretty little AU 58 Dimes, however. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern - Jim has some really great half dollars.

The new Barber Red Book by QDB arrived today. I opened it up to the 10-S half. I was looking down at the certified pops and it lists that the 10-S has a certified pop of 16 in VF. Well I knew that was way off, so I did a little digging and it seems they only used NGC as a reference for pop reports. PCGS has roughly 10x that amount certified in all the VF grades. I find it odd they wouldn't use PCGS unless PCGS tried to charge them an insane amount of money to use their pop reports. I'll dig further into the book over the winter.

Edit in bold
  • Options

Justin,

I got the book last week, and thanks for pointing that out.
    I'll delve into the book a bit deeper now. Very disappointing
    they did not use the PCGS data.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Really...only NGC Pops? I'm supposed to pick up my copy of Bowers book at our little local show this weekend. Sounds like the book is probably worthless. I'm pretty sure most of the Pops are higher at PCGS. Haven't really cared as much about NGC Pops. They are probably way over inflated anyway. I have a few NGC tags laying around...as well as PCGS!

Edit to add: Justin...I own 11 10-S's in VF and have sold 8! image
  • Options
    I wouldn't dismisd the book soley on it's pop reports. I'm sure there is other useful information in there. Pop reports are basically useless anyways in a book. The total pop of barber half dollars certified at PCGS since I started collecting (about 5 years) has risen quite rapidly.

Only 19 total 10-S coins...slacker. image
  • Options

<< <i>Only 19 total 10-S coins...slacker. image >>

That's in VF! image
  • Options
    Justin - Yes, Jim has quite a few very nice halves. I'm very glad to say that we will enjoy pics of them over the next few weeks.
    Interesting that the new QDB barber book wouldn't have PCGS pops, still the value of his book (which I haven't seen yet), will be in his thoughts, not pops or values.

Darrell - "Only" 19 in VF eh?

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Paesan's 1897-O is a great looking coin, IMHO.

I originally confused it with the one I recently
    sold when I picked up my Newp in 65, which
    I posted earlier.

edited due an error on my part. Sorry, Paesan.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Well!!! I got my copy of Bower's new book on Barber coins. I am extremely disappointed. I can't believe they used 5-10 year old pricing for the Barber Half's! I haven't read in detail and haven't even looked at the dimes or quarters. But when I see retail pricing less than greysheet and better dates listed at in some cases 20% of current auction prices realized I am astounded. The big slap in my face was when I saw the little note... "printed in China". I never realized Whitman had bailed on us. I showed it to my supply guy and he said they do still print the redbook here. BIG NEGATIVE FOR ME WHITMAN!
  • Options
    Darrell- you should be writing the book, not Whitman. What do they know about Barbers? I think at this point you own half of the remaining population......

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Darrell - Hard to imagine that it is cost effective to print those books in China, after all, printing is not very labor intensive. It's a big negative for me as well.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I recently received the 2015 BCCS Varities Survey for Barber Halves in the mail. Many of the varities I'm famalier with, but the ones in part 4 (Repunched and Misplaced Dates) I'm not:
      1892 RPD South1893 O MPD1897/97 RPD South1898/ 98 RPD South19/900 RPD South1903/ 03 RPD South1906 D MPD1907 O MPD1908 MPD1908 D MPD1908 O MPD
    I didn't know there were this many varities (albeit minor ones). Does anyonne have information on any of them? Pictures or descriptions? These must have come from somewhere. image
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of negatives concerning Bower's new Barber coins tome. I'll save the $$$ and borrow Mike's some day.

Thanks Mike image
    Craig

• Options

Jeez...break that old piggy bank and get your own copy,

You can make notes in it ( like I plan on doing ).

By the way, it's cheaper to buy the book on Amazon.com ~
    you'll save about $10.00. As they say, live and learn.

I'm still not a happy camper that the PCGS Pops are missing
    and that the prices are so far outdated. I have half a mind to
    send it back and request a full refund.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff, I must say a lot of those flew under my radar also. Bet they are listed in Breen. I hope I am able to complete the survey before the deadline.

Mike, I must say I was totally floored with the pricing in the new book. Why in the H will no one publish what these coins are really selling for? It's almost worse than the better date seated stuff. I haven't studied too much but I am willing to wager the rarity scales are off also. I definitely place the 96-O over the 04-S in AU or better. Using NGC Pop's is a joke! Many tags are sitting around or gone the way of the garbage can! The only nice thing is now I have the NGC Pops!(well sortta, wonder how many 96-O's are 58's) Never understood why NGC doesn't make them public.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 97-O posted above has been in my collection for a while and is not a newp. However, a member here sold me another 55 recently. I wanted to see them side by side. I think the old one will stand (better surfaces) but the newp has a lot of nice color.

Haven't seen the book you're all talking about. I wouldn't care much about the pricing issue, but I'd like to know if there is any good into about the coins themselves. IMO too many companies with too many price lists and none of them really help me anyway.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Darrell - Perhaps Whitman was in a rush to get the book out so it wasn't researched like it could have been. But anytime QDB puts out a book on a series, it increases interest in the series (at least for the short term).

Pics for this AM, newp into the Stash, NGC-55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i> Never understood why NGC doesn't make them public. >>

NGC does make the ir Pop Reports available to their members (paying) at no additional charge.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I am still looking forward to obtaining a copy of the Barber Coin book authored by QDB. From what I have been hearing, the pricing information is not current or realistic. That's too bad. Unfortunately, any pricing becomes almost instantly obsolete, but it sounds like it could have been more realistic. None of us familiar with the real market would choose to use this book as a price guide anyway. The problem is for the newbies that buy the book, and expect coins to be available at or near prices listed. But without any pricing, such a book would seem lacking. A no-win situation.

I do like the notion that someone did put the time into making such a book, and it may well be a resource that encourages other collectors to dive into our favorite series. With increased demand, and the fixed and limited supply, we may see some upward price movements. That would make coins we hold more valuable, but also future coins we purchase more expensive. That being said, I still like the fact that another reference has been put together for the Barber series, and by such a great author. I plan to pick up a copy of the book at the Whitman Baltimore show next month and will try to get mine signed by QDB. I had some limited contact with Mr. Bowers over the past three years and offered to help him with the book any way I could, and gave him permission to use any images that I had of coins. I had images from Superior Galleries, and granted permission for the PCGS True View, if OK with PCGS.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, another from Jim's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, newp into Elmo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    The pricing in QDB's book doesn't really matter to me. I know what I want to pay for certain coins, but I have also been around long enough to research it. Although, someone just showing interest in the series and tries to buy a quality XF 97-O for the price in the book, they are in for a rude awakening. They will probably get discouraged and there goes another potential collector. I can see both sides of the argument.

Vern - Loving the Half show.

Jeff - I don't know anything about those varieties unless they are in Flynn's book. I will have to take a look.
  • Options
    Justin - Thanks, I'm glad to be the messenger.

Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Love this coin. Absolutely gorgeous off-center Barber quarter.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options

Vern... Nice 1895-O Half. Jim's set is shaping up really well.

Jon.... I know that coin - it belongs to Broadstruck - unless
    it's changed hands.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jon - Wonderful date for a neat error. A Broadstruck special.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, NGC-15:

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file