Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

March Of Dimes set.. PCGS,NGC 69s ,lower PCGS 70s $335 - $406

Comments

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that it is appropriate to say that the price of each single set sold per day is indicative of a market. It is only indicative of that sale on that day. The last four PCGS70 sets sold for (in order) $504, $425, $514, $440....I would think that indicates that the market is still being developed

The only market that is near stable is the NGC70's with the last five going for $310, $325, $321, $320, $310. ER there is closed and the numbers (whatever they are) will be final.
  • Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <Just 188 Rev Proofs in the 70 grade going into the final day of FS tomorrow. >

I have never seen anywhere that PCGS states or guarantees that its population numbers a fully up to date
    and account for all coins that have been graded to date. I have seen sinificant changes weeks late before.
    No way to tell how reliable final populations will end up at this point. Early hype is early hype ane everyone is part of the game.

Not saying it will change only that early numbers have been unreliable in the past. Anything is possible.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i><Just 188 Rev Proofs in the 70 grade going into the final day of FS tomorrow. >
    I have never seen anywhere that PCGS states or guarantees that its population numbers a fullky up to date
    and account for all coins that have been graded to date. I have seen sinificant changes weeks late before.
    No way to tell how reliable final populations will end up at this point. Early hype is early hype ane everyone is part of the game. >>

Pop numbers will continue to go up at a snails pace .. ... But the numbers hide how few PCGS70s sets are out there .. Gauge the demand .. look at the NGC 70s sets for clues... open sets near $115

Naysayers still have it wrong ,, MOD has the staying power of the 2006,2011 Anniv sets and the 2008 Rev of 2007 Eagle....

The process now is sets moving from weak hands... for what ever ,,,,having the need to sell
  • Options
    So far prices have gone up from flippers and dealers buying up to resell. Now we will see what true demand exists

when they try to resell. Hopefully the collector demand will remain strong, however anything is possible.
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

<< <i>So far prices have gone up from flippers and dealers buying up to resell. Now we will see what true demand exists

when they try to resell. Hopefully the collector demand will remain strong, however anything is possible. >>

If MOD set is a keeper.. the 1st wave prices up were strong .. 2nd wave decline .. and the 3rd wave up will be ... strong

Some forum members needed a quick buy and then a quick sell for maybe money reasons

HSN sold a nearly 1,000 sets on of ANACS70s ..NGC sets still sell.. PCGS 69s have not dropped .. Demand ???
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭✭
    My grades on 10 sealed sets just posted, all I can say is ooch!

2015-W 10C Silver March of Dimes Set First Strike, DC USA PR70DC
    2015-W 10C Silver March of Dimes Set First Strike, DC USA PR69DC
    2015-P 10C -Silver Rev PR March of Dimes Set First Strike USA PR69
    2015-W $1 Silver March of Dimes Set First Strike, DC USA PR69DC
    2015-P 10C -Silver Rev PR March of Dimes Set First Strike USA Min Grade
    2015-W $1 Silver March of Dimes Set First Strike, DC USA Min Grade
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>My grades on 10 sealed sets just posted, all I can say is ooch!

2015-W $1 Silver March of Dimes Set First Strike, DC USA Min Grade >>

What day did you get the sets from the Mint..?
  • Options

<< <i>Now THAT is brutal. >>

Even "brutal" doesn't say enough. Something is weird here with all these grades.

• Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My grades on 10 sealed sets just posted, all I can say is ooch!

2015-W $1 Silver March of Dimes Set First Strike, DC USA Min Grade >>

What day did you get the sets from the Mint..? >>

Ordered in the first 30 minutes, part of the first group of coins shipped, I'm not positive but I think May 4.
  • Options
    I see (PCGS):

239 RP70's out of 727 that were given grades which is 32.87%...acceptable

470 PF70's out of 885 that were given grades which is 53.1% very acceptable..

319 PF70 Set $1 out of 754 that were given grades which is 42.3% very acceptable

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slightly brutal. But, I just mentioned getting a 9.5% 70 rate on the RP coin from 86 units. So, using (10) sets, I might have now guessed 1 possible RP 70. The $1 Commem is grading out at about a 1/3 rate I believe so I might have expected a few more of those though.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Based on the activity I have seen on the forum, Ebay and dealer sites there could very easily have been
    10 times or more the number of coins submitted than are reported to date ( even if you discount minimum grades )

Even if the percentages of 70's remain constant that could possibly mean 10 times more 70's in the final population count.

In the long run it will be final count vs demand that affects future value. If only 10% graded 70 with a final count of 1,000 and demand was only 500
    the percentage would be almost meaningless.

Again early numbers are mostly hype. They could play out or they could turn out to be "something compleatly different"

Numbers are easy to manipulate to say what you want them to say.
  • Options
    Auction prices for PCGS 69 , NGC 69 hold steady .. NGC 70s start to firm , from a lack of PCGS 70s ..... with NGC 70s prices from $315 - 340

Those hoping/wanting the MOD prices to go down ,have no evidence from the look of PCGs ,NGC 69 prices ....nor NGC 70s prices
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

239 RP70's out of 727 that were given grades which is 32.87%...acceptable

>>

From everyone I have chatted with, the real number is 10-15% tops for the reverse proof. The pop report does not show the hundreds/thousands of coins sent in by dealers that did not grade 70 when 70 is selected as their min grade. The report shows only the 70s they get, artificially inflating the percentage you see in the pop report.
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait a minute, is that true? The bigger submitters can ask for a min grade and if it does not grade it goes ungraded?

So the pops are not true percentages of coins submitted....

Hmmmmmm
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wait a minute, is that true? The bigger submitters can ask for a min grade and if it does not grade it goes ungraded?

Hmmmmmm >>

Yep. I usually set the min grade at 69 but went down all the way to 64 on these. I got back 9 of the $1 coins for no grade. I can't for the life of me figure out why, i don't see any issues with them.
  • Options
    "Wait a minute, is that true? The bigger submitters can ask for a min grade and if it does not grade it goes ungraded?

Hmmmmmm"

Anyone, repeat, anyone can negotiate a bulk deal at PCGS with any minimum grade selected provided they submit the minimum required coins ... AND... in most cases if less than 60% of the coins grade out at the minimum grade selected, a $5/coin penalty is assessed for those ungraded coins. It all sounds easy for the "big submitters" unless one tries it, gets less than 60% of the coins achieving the min. grade and is hit with a BIG fee for coins coming back at you in a tube. One thing for sure ... in many cases, it does force one to quickly become a superb grader in the area one is submitting coins or face running out of money quickly (unfortunately) before that takes place!

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    "Yep. I usually set the min grade at 69 but went down all the way to 64 on these. I got back 9 of the $1 coins for no grade. I can't for the life of me figure out why, i don't see any issues with them."

My best guess .... the grader had mercy on you and figured it was kinder to simply give you the (9) coins back in flips rather than in PR68 holders worth next to nothing (and possibly less than the cost of the coin and the grading fee).

Wondercoin
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Yep. I usually set the min grade at 69 but went down all the way to 64 on these. I got back 9 of the $1 coins for no grade. I can't for the life of me figure out why, i don't see any issues with them."

My best guess .... the grader had mercy on you and figured it was kinder to simply give you the (9) coins back in flips rather than in PR68 holders worth next to nothing (and possibly less than the cost of the coin and the grading fee).

Wondercoin >>

You are probably right. Also, there is a minimum grade block on every PCGS submission form out there. Everyone has the option to set a minimum grade.
  • Options
    Thanks Wondercoin! So PCGS still charges for the coins that do not meet min grade?
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

Min. Grade: A minimum grade is the lowest grade you are willing to accept. If the coin does not meet the minimum grade, it will not be placed in a PCGS holder.

NOTE: Minimum grades are not accepted on Regrade or Reconsideration Service Types or coins dated prior to 1965.

For Raw Coins: Use this column only if you do not want your coin encapsulated unless it meets this minimum grade or higher. You will be charged the full grading fee even if your coin does not meet the minimum grade specified and is not encapsulated (only available for coins dated 1965 to date).

Did I read somewhere that you could not select minimum grade of 70?

(l8-)>>

• Options
    Thanks Edgar I think that is for regular submitters, bulk submitters have a different form I guess. I have learned a lot today. I may look into it further.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now THAT is brutal. >>

Even "brutal" doesn't say enough. Something is weird here with all these grades. >>

I told you guy's NEW grader's in the room. I sent in 20 Very nice Morgan's and 16 of them came back MS64 all in a roll this is the 1st time I ever saw this and now we are seeing this with all of the set coming out of there and ATS they getting 70% in 70's Dave better take a peek in to the grading room soon or a lot of coins are going to go ATS. Stuff like this can knock the golden goose out of it's nest. Sorry about your grades not even a set. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

<< <i>Wait a minute, is that true? The bigger submitters can ask for a min grade and if it does not grade it goes ungraded? So the pops are not true percentages of coins submitted.... Hmmmmmm >>

<< <i> "Yep. I usually set the min grade at 69 but went down all the way to 64 on these. >>

SO this is common place for ALL dealer (and most individual) submissions....so with that said then the POP's for ALL coins are indicative of the same practice and the percentages should be comparable. By looking at the stats from yesterday (PCGS stated updated as of 6/5) then these are correct and in line with all other submitted Mint products...

You can't say the POP's (for 69/70's) are not appropriate with THIS product but ARE appropriate for other products when the submission procedure is a constant....

These ARE the percentages (updated by PCGS 6/5)....

249 RP70's out of 822 that were given grades which is 30.3%...acceptable

495 PF70's out of 937 that were given grades which is 52.8% very acceptable..

346 PF70 Set $1 out of 806 that were given grades which is 42.9% very acceptable
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wait a minute, is that true? The bigger submitters can ask for a min grade and if it does not grade it goes ungraded? So the pops are not true percentages of coins submitted.... Hmmmmmm >>

<< <i> "Yep. I usually set the min grade at 69 but went down all the way to 64 on these. >>

SO this is common place for ALL dealer (and most individual) submissions....so with that said then the POP's for ALL coins are indicative of the same practice and the percentages should be comparable. By looking at the stats from yesterday (PCGS stated updated as of 6/5) then these are correct and in line with all other submitted Mint products...

You can't say the POP's (for 69/70's) are not appropriate with THIS product but ARE appropriate for other products when the submission procedure is a constant....

These ARE the percentages (updated by PCGS 6/5)....

249 RP70's out of 822 that were given grades which is 30.3%...acceptable

495 PF70's out of 937 that were given grades which is 52.8% very acceptable..
    submitted again
    346 PF70 Set $1 out of 806 that were given grades which is 42.9% very acceptable >>

Interesting ... the non graded coins have a bearing on the fact that these coins wind its way back into the market as raw, with some to be resubmitted again for grading.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting ... the non graded coins have a bearing on the fact that these coins wind its way back into the market as raw, with some to be resubmitted again for grading. >>

Probably...but they won't change the FS numbers which make up most of the above stats.
  • Options
    How does a "Pawn Stars" label NGC set sell for $375 and the FDR label set is in the $315 range?...freaking Pawn Stars?????? How about Sponge Bob label?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How does a "Pawn Stars" label NGC set sell for $375 and the FDR label set is in the $315 range?...freaking Pawn Stars?????? How about Sponge Bob label? >>

This image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>How does a "Pawn Stars" label NGC set sell for $375 and the FDR label set is in the $315 range?...freaking Pawn Stars?????? How about Sponge Bob label? >>

Five years from someone will say rare label ...BIN for $ 999
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    This morning, I managed to snag 4 backordered sets. At first, I tried to put in a quantity of 10 but it would not allow me to check out because it said there were only 4 backorder items, so I adjusted it to 4 and they confirmed my order. Now unavailable again. Of course its a backorder, so might not get it.
  • Options

<< <i>This morning, I managed to snag 4 backordered sets. At first, I tried to put in a quantity of 10 but it would not allow me to check out because it said there were only 4 backorder items, so I adjusted it to 4 and they confirmed my order. Now unavailable again. Of course its a backorder, so might not get it. >>

Open sets still over $ 100 on Ebay..... after 5 weeks in circulation..

Friday auctions .. open sets ... $106 - $122.00
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still uncertain what to do with my unopened box of 5. More than likely I'll just sit on it and in 20 years it will be the only unopened box in existence image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    These orders that are all on hold. Are they worth keeping or should we dump them?
  • Options

<< <i>These orders that are all on hold. Are they worth keeping or should we dump them? >>

At the moment I like the risk/reward ratio. Unless you think the sets will be worth less than $61.95 each when you receive them, I would not cancel.

• Options
    For $62 it's worth it just for the chance of getting some decent dimes... I've still got 3 on backorder
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    When I ordered today, why the specific number of allowing you only to order 4 unless they have these all allocated.

Has anyone received a notice in the past that the item was no longer available under their new ordering system?
  • Options
    I would think all original sets have been accounted for. As returns or CC issues come in then those sets will be offered for sale but obviously in very small quantities.
  • Options
    Looks like forum member, 1st to list the MOD on Great Collections
  • Options
    Things that make you go Hmmmmm...

two NGC70 BIN sets sold for $289.95 and $294.95 followed by an auction for $315 and a BIN of $379.99. Kinda all over the place but those 1st two BINs were probably set a tad low

I Haven't seen any PCGS 70 sets sold in 3 days. Not very many for sale at all....

• Options

<< <i>I Haven't seen any PCGS 70 sets sold in 3 days. Not very many for sale at all.... >>

Currently a few sets are up for bids, cheapest BIN is $599.

• Options
    BIN $599 SIL $299 image
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Things that make you go Hmmmmm...

two NGC70 BIN sets sold for $289.95 and $294.95 followed by an auction for $315 and a BIN of $379.99. Kinda all over the place but those 1st two BINs were probably set a tad low

I Haven't seen any PCGS 70 sets sold in 3 days. Not very many for sale at all.... >>

WHY would someone pay $379 when there were many lower BINs? Just never ceases to amaze me.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i> WHY would someone pay $379 when there were many lower BINs? Just never ceases to amaze me. >>

I also look at it the other way...why would someone list a BIN way below what the potential is for the set?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I Haven't seen any PCGS 70 sets sold in 3 days. Not very many for sale at all.... >>

<< <i>cheapest BIN is $599. >>

Probably why there have been no sales over the last few days....way over present market price
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> WHY would someone pay $379 when there were many lower BINs? Just never ceases to amaze me. >>

I also look at it the other way...why would someone list a BIN way below what the potential is for the set? >>

One seller noted a weekend sale. Some sellers might just need the cash now

To think someone paid $379 when there were multiple sub $300 BINs just boggles my mind.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    There are currently a few BINs for the NGC 70 sets at just under $300, but they might not have been available when a few sets sold at higher prices.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I also look at it the other way...why would someone list a BIN way below what the potential is for the set? >>

One seller noted a weekend sale. Some sellers might just need the cash now

To think someone paid $379 when there were multiple sub $300 BINs just boggles my mind. >>

Check seller feedback

Some don't buy from sellers who have a thin or no history of selling coins.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

And that's the conundrum of no or few coin sales sellers.

To entice wary buyers, they lower the price. But some look at the price and wonder if it's a scam.

With the public knowledge of ebay scams, I think it's harder to start selling coins now than a few years ago.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file