Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, Congrats on your 58+. Looking forward to pix!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are no '07-O 50c in the pop report as of tonight, so yours will be the first. That coin will attract some strong attention if put on the market, IMO.

<< <i>

Cool- I finally have something the Big Dogs want. Ruff!
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    I/m seeking opinions on how this coin will grade- a recent FUN purchase, a raw 1909 50C:

To me the obverse looks circulated (barely), but the reverse looks MS. The coin has been sent off to PCGS; what will they do with it?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I/m seeking opinions on how this coin will grade- a recent FUN purchase, a raw 1909 50C:

To me the obverse looks circulated (barely), but the reverse looks MS. The coin has been sent off to PCGS; what will they do with it? >>

The 2 hevay marks on the face make me wanna say 53 maybe 55. I would love to see your 07-O and compare it to the CAC 58 I purchased at the show from Tom!

LOL! Yeah I did buy a couple of half's!
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The FUN show was a 1 way street....Barbers going out the door and none coming in. >>

<< <i>LOL! Yeah I did buy a couple of half's! >>

Glad everyone had a good time at FUN. It was a good read. Darrell, you crack me up. Say one thing, and present another. image

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mowgli - You're definitely the man on the NTT & NTM.

Craig - Glad to see that toughie return home. Congrats.

Jeff - Congrats on the 58+ on your 07-O. Also, I'd guess 55 on your '09 FUN purcchase.

Darrell - Glad your FUN wasn't a total loss on the buying front.

Pics for this AM, a beauty I was able to see in hand from Craig's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The FUN show was a 1 way street....Barbers going out the door and none coming in. >>

Glad everyone had a good time at FUN. It was a good read. Darrell, you crack me up. Say one thing, and present another. image >>

I agree, Justin. He does present a good sob story, and stealthily slides in another coin for his AU 58 set.
    When are we going to see the better set with images, Darrell ? When young Madison LogPotato graduates
    from High School ??

Great chatting with you Darrell. Glad you had a good show, you deserve it, you work so darn hard !!

Jeff: the 1909 is a 55. ( The reverse is an AU 64 ... Lol ) as Amworld mentioned, the marks on the face lower it to 55.
    If the grading Gods smile on you, maybe ... just maybe a 58.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff: the 1909 is a 55. ( The reverse is an AU 64 ... Lol ) as Amworld mentioned, the marks on the face lower it to 55.
    If the grading Gods smile on you, maybe ... just maybe a 58. >>

Mike- I agree with your assessment, emphasis on MAYBE a 58. I should of applied a little makeup before sending it in.

I also sent in a spare '04 O 50C for Guarantee Resubmission:

I bought the coin a few years back to get a graded '04 O. At the time my set had a Details grade '04 O, so this was a step up. It's in a PCGS XF 45 holder. I've been trying to sell it for a while with no interest. I'm uncertain what caused the sharp line of black toning, but it does appear that there's environmental damage lingering under the toning. It seems to me that this coin should never have been place in a graded holder, but it will be interesting to see what the Gods at PCGS say. Does anyone have experience with the Guarantee Resubmission? Are they going to tell me the toning and environmental damage happened post holder? image
  • Options
    Jeff, I once owned an 07-S quarter in a PCGS 65 holder. I purchased it and put it away. Six months later when I was looking at my coins, I noticed it had turned black. I sent it back in to PCGS and to my surprise, they offered to clean it for me. Now I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm thinking that they body bag cleaned coins, and now that's what they are offering me. Something doesn't add up here. It ended up in a 64 holder and they offered to buy it from me at below their 65 price. I paid 65+ money for it. I said, "Whoa, baby! Your mistake and I have to lose money?" Bottom line is I lost money.

In retrospect, it was a good lesson. That's when I stopped buying holders and started buying quality coins.

Good luck with your 04-O.

Paesan
  • Options
    And it's also when I stopped throwing money at TPGs. Wonder who lost more?
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I/m seeking opinions on how this coin will grade- a recent FUN purchase, a raw 1909 50C:

To me the obverse looks circulated (barely), but the reverse looks MS. The coin has been sent off to PCGS; what will they do with it? >>

This appears to have the luster to carry it into an unc holder, I'm a 61 or 62 on it. Luster is king in my experience.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Glad everyone had a good time at FUN. It was a good read. Darrell, you crack me up. Say one thing, and present another. image >>

I agree, Justin. He does present a good sob story, and stealthily slides in another coin for his AU 58 set.
    When are we going to see the better set with images, Darrell ? When young Madison LogPotato graduates
    from High School ??

Great chatting with you Darrell. Glad you had a good show, you deserve it, you work so darn hard !! >>

LOL Mike and Justin! I usually come home with 30 or 40! Unfortunately I already have an 07-O in 58. I will get around to picturing my set one of these days.
  • Options

<< <i>

This appears to have the luster to carry it into an unc holder, I'm a 61 or 62 on it. Luster is king in my experience. >>

I agree it does have nice luster. I have and have seen a 58 or 2 that were Unc but a small scratch or hits like this knock it down.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks unc. 62 is my take.

Tyler
  • Options
    Paesan - Here are the pics of your 07-S qtr that changed in the holder:
    Before
    After

This slab number is now listed as MS64, interestingly enough.

Pics for this AM, raw beauties from my friend Keith's collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Wow, those are some beautiful halves. Right up my alley.
  • Options
    Justin, Good to see you check in!

Vern, great pix on the 07-S debacle. Your friend's halves are PQ!

Paesan
  • Options
    I just noticed that the 07-S quarter was CAC'd. Further evidence (at least in my little mind) that CAC is a waste of time and money.

Paesan
  • Options
    Paesan... I would have been heart sick when the Quarter turned in the holder.
    I am no metallurgist but what was the cause of this...anyone have a reasonable
    explanation ? I am at a loss for words. Aside from the way PCGS handled this,
    wasn't there any recourse with CAC ?

I fully understand your reluctance in using CAC - based on this one episode. Some
    of my friends think they are the "N-th" degree in certification of higher end coins in
    their respective grades. I like the premise but then again, I have been at odds with
    CAC on occasion. When they do not green bean, etc. A coin, it would be most helpful
    if they made mention as to why the coin failed to pass their standards. ( ie: the codes
    that PCGS uses on their slabs ..."92, 94 etc". )

I received a nice note yesterday from a friend and another from his Son, it seems that
    the Son had sold David Kahn one of the coins I recently bought at FUN. He included an
    image ... this coin was not CAC 'd and I asked if he had sent it in to CAC, and he had,
    but, it did not pass. My friend thinks it's because it has too many marks on the cheek...
    it does have some activity, yes , but not so much (in hand) to cause me to recind my
    purchase.

I'll edit this in awhile to add the images.

All I can say is, in hand it's a screamer. My friend also mentioned that I could have saved a
    bundle if I had bought it directly from him and not thru a dealer... Seems the coin was on our
    BST prior to my seeing it at Kahn's table.

I have learned a valuable lesson, check the BST regardless if you are looking to buy a
    specific date or not. Doesn't hurt to browse, Afterall, it's free to look. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Paesan... I would have been heart sick when the Quarter turned in the holder.
    I am no metallurgist but what was the cause of this...anyone have a reasonable
    explanation ?

<< <i>

It looks to me as though the coin originally had the awkward toning and someone dipped it to get rid of the weird stuff- you can see the shadow of it on the original images. The edge peripheral toning is more established so it didn't disappear after a quick dip. After all, toning is oxidation and once established it tends to come back.

But then what do I know.
  • Options

<< <i>Remember that 1901-S that we discussed here?

Looks like this came back as real, XF details.

I called it, I called it! >>

Obviously you understand there are only 2 obverse dies and you know what to look for. Congrats to you for your experience and knowledge. image
  • Options
    I find it pretty interesting. I posted in the above link that it had all the die positions, but I was skeptical of the surface pimples. And that I was also unaware of any fake with exact die positions. I was pretty torn on whether it was real or not, but I think it's pretty cool that it is. Especially where it was found.
  • Options
    You never know what can happen to a hunk of silver that's been buried in the ground for 100 years.......
  • Options
    Justin - He has more halves that are your kind of coins. That's a good alley to be in.

Paesan - Your 07-S shows that CAC is no more reliable than the best TPG.

Mike - Flashy 95-S. I guess it needed a stain to meet CAC standards.

FTB - Good call on the details 01-S. And thanks for the update.

Pics for this AM, another tough date beauty from Craig's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

...Love the early morning posts and your mid-centered 1897-S Barber Quarter. Here is a post for the newbies that I have posted before:

PC66
    Craig

• Options
    Craig, Love that 12-S!

Vern, That "stain" comment was hilarious!

Paesan
  • Options

Jeff- That was as reasonable an explanation as I could have hoped for.

I know "tarnish" resurfaces on sterling silver ( as a kid, it was my job
    to polish the stuff my folks had ) and it seemed as though I had just
    finished the cycle and I had to start all over again. Now, I just put the
    stuff away, and one of these days, I'll have everything professionally
    cleaned and sealed to prevent and further tarnishing.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I was skeptical as well on the 01-S - the surface quality bothered me.
    Seeing all the new Chinese made fakes in fake TPG holders also had me
    guessing. Nothing is sacred anymore. Once having a graded coin in a PCGS
    holder was like having it blessed by the right hand of God - no longer. image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

from High School ??

>>

Darrell... When are you going to open up your set ???!!!
    Don Willis did, then shut it down. Maybe because you had not opened yours !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Yes, the thread is stuck, but instead of posting just once,
    I thought I'd break up my thoughts into individual posts.

I did not attend the PCGS Luncheon last Friday
    (1) ... I did not receive an invitation. { 32 Registered Sets didn't qualify me }
    (2) ....I had other obligations to attend to.... { Because I was not invited to the PCGS Luncheon }
    (3).... image

This morning I watched the video of Don Willis explaining the new feature on the Registry, what a great
    time saver this is !! Congratulations to the staff at PCGS ( even though I wasn't invited to the original
    presentation ....image... )

Ok... Enough digs... image

Edit:

Vern... I agree with Paesan... Love the stain dig. I'd still be rip if that happened to me. Especially since
    I am still looking for a nice 07-S. As is my friend from Atlanta - recently retired - and spending way too
    much time playing with coins ignoring his poor wife who has been relegated to just call her friends and
    complain about his obsessive behavior ... image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I believe Mr. Mike needs to review (again) "Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession" .....LOL

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
    Craig

• Options
    Lenny,

Thanks. We all need to adhere to the old adage "buy the coin not the holder". I purchased 1912-S Barber Quarter many moons ago in an old, beat up ICG holder. I always look for all off brands as every so often a "cherry appears"!
    Craig

• Options

<< <i>I did not attend the PCGS Luncheon last Friday
    (1) ... I did not receive an invitation. { 32 Registered Sets didn't qualify me }
    (2) ....I had other obligations to attend to.... { Because I was not invited to the PCGS Luncheon }
    (3).... image

This morning I watched the video of Don Willis explaining the new feature on the Registry, what a great
    time saver this is !! Congratulations to the staff at PCGS ( even though I wasn't invited to the original
    presentation ....image... ) >>

I received an invite and attended the PCGS Luncheon. The invitation goes out to people who spend $$ on grading coins and have registry sets. I only have a few sets, so clearly the emphasis is how many $$ are spent on grading.

I sat in the front row. When Don was explaining the new PCGS coin purchasing tool I raised my hand and asked him to demonstrate the new feature by showing us all the AU 58 Barber Halves for sale. He chuckled and said "I don't want to", but then he proceeded to do so. Don knew it was all in good fun- he seems like a very nice person. The tool is really cool; he even said that if someone establishes their own website to sell PCXGS coins and send in the link it will be added to their system. Darrell??
  • Options

<< <i>Justin - He has more halves that are your kind of coins. That's a good alley to be in....... >>

Was he with you at the BCCS meeting in Baltimore a few years ago? I remember meeting a friend of your's who had bought a few halves. His name has since slipped from my memory. Either way, I can't wait to see more.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    NTT-...you know I'll never be lonely....
    NTM..."It's a chopper, Baby."

Freddie was not my best friend

I'd rather have a Royale with cheese.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Paesan - Mowgli got here first, but:
    NTT, Interesting that Freddie's best friend is a girl in the song.
    NTM - Zed's dead, Pulp Fiction, what a great movie.

Justin - Yes, Keith was at that BCCS meeting. We've been collector friends now for about 25 years. Besides barbers, he has lots of stellar Indian Cents.

Pics for this AM, another from Keith's collection, NGC-55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Vern, that's a beautiful 92-S half. Tell Keith I love it! Also quite liberally graded.

Doug
  • Options
    Wow, another beauty! image
  • Options
    You guy are too quick. Time for the bonus round!

Keith, You've got some very nice coins if you're out there!

Paesan
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, a CAC'd rattler from Craig's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I decided its crazy to keep the undergraded coins I just upgraded.....

so... if you'd like to browse on the BST ... please, be my guest !!

The Long Beach catalog just arrived... I spotted a Dime I need ....
    the Quarters I'm selling will barely pay for the Dime....image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Out with the old
    And in with the new

Mike, Hope your get that dime you want.

Paesan
  • Options
    Mike - Some tough dates you've put up. Good luck with the sale.

Paesan - Neither the NTT or NTM are coming to me. And nice to add a little poetry to the thread.

Pics for this AM, wish I could find the qtr to match this dime. From Keith's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    NTT-...and I promise in less than an hour we will honestly go....
    NTM..."With you, never a quickie. Always a longie."

One offers a cure and the other offers a bite
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Mowgli, You own this game!

Vern, That 01-S dime has such a perfect look. Hope your dream comes true some day!

Paesan
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the TrueView images of my Barber Dime and thought that I would share all three types in my 7070;

1892-P 10C

1892-O 25C Clashed Dies FS-901

1892 50C TDR FS-801 CAC

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    O-I Love that clashed die 92-O quarter. I've been looking for one for my varieties. Nice addition!

Paesan
  • Options
    Mowgli - Congrats. Even with the hints, I still don't know. NTT, by the Cure, NTM, a vampire flick.

oih8 - Wonderful barber type set.

Pics for this AM, great looking newp into Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file