Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuck, bump with pics, PC63:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Let's try again, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    This is ridiculous, PC40:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Last try at unsticking, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trueview of the quarter I just got back from PCGS

• Options
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>800 >>

Sure enough... 800 posts.... 400 trying to unstick the Thread.

Thank you Vern to having included an image every time you bumped the Thread.
    Almost makes it worth your while, now, doesn't it ? LOL

Well, once I get off this distraction, it's off to the kennels with the pups
    ...run to the car wash to get doggie nose smudges off the inside car windows
    and a quick buff and fluff...it's off to FUN. This afternoon, it'll be lot viewing...
    meeting up with a few friends ... dinner this evening with another friend and
    his wife... later,, he and I look over about 140 Barbers to decide what gets sent in for
    upgrade ... what gets sent to CAC... and cull out coins that should be just sold.

By the way, I spoke with Glenn Holsonbake the other day, his table is something like 1434.
    He said it was near the Exibit area. I think Darrell Kreiss is near him as well. So, we'll be
    sure to locate both easily enough.

Have a good show if you are going, and if you are around Friday at 3:30, the BCCS
    meeting is being held. I won't be able to make the meeting - very disappointing !!!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Darrell- good luck at the show hope you pick up some nice stuff to offer us guys stuck at home this week.

Vern-with all the coins you post that belong to you, do you collect as a set and upgrade, are do you buy coins that you like no matter how many of that particular coin you have?
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern, Lots of beauties! I'll let the other guys have a stab before I give clues.

t-25 hours. Yeah, baby!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    NTT - I'm going to say it is something you breathe and the group has a TLA for a name

NTM - I'm wondering if Curly ate bacon with his ice cream
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone checked out the Blue Valley Collection of AU58 barber quarters at Teaparty?

Lenny, NTT - Love is Like Oxygen by Sweet.

Doug
  • Options
    Mowgli, Nailed it again!

Doug, I saw the quarters and the halves. I selected a few on approval tomorrow. Some nice stuff! You got the NTT as well.

Paesan
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My new purchase. I blew my FUN funds before I got there! A 1902 S 50C NGC AU 55{

I'm planning on submitting it to PCGS for crossover at FUN tomorrow; I think it has an 80% chance at 55, 20% at 53.

This coin has some real cool die breaks on the date:

Cool, huh?
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that it's pretty cool, Jeff. I like the coin as well. image
  • Options
    Jeff, Nice flesh on your 02-S. Good luck on the cross.

Paesan
  • Options
    Love is Like Oxygen by Sweet (NTT)

My new '02 S looks really nice in hand, other than a little dirt on the cheek. But who doesn't like a dirty girl! image
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, nice 02-S half. I would recommend submitting to PCGS for crossover with AU55 as a minimum grade. That coin is too nice to accept AU53.

The PCGS VF25 CAC 1901-S quarter was won by a 16K bid (18,800 with the juice) today at FUN! Someone really got a bargain, that was a nice coin. Probably purchased by a dealer who will offer it for 25K or so in a month or two.
    The market for high priced rarities certainly has softened.

Doug
  • Options
    Doug, I think you're absolutely right about the softness of the market. My 01-S F-15 cost more than that 25. I would, however, try a minimum grade 53 on the 02-S half. While the reverse looks 58 to me, they might take points off for the mark on the neck. Hard to tell from the images. I hate have coins returned with a DNC sticker. Waste of money and time to me. I like the coin in the holder it's in. It's a good topic to debate, I suppose.

Paesan
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    One of the few I still have.

• Options
    Jeff-Great pieces, as a IHC variety collector most of my life I can really appreciate the die breaks, really unique coin and nice color.
  • Options
    Spectacular day at FUN and an even more amazing dinner with lots of new friends. You guys are awesome and thanks for the invitation.

Paesan

P.S. Dave, great bottle!
  • Options
    Boosibri - Good looking qtr.

Dave - For the most part, I collect as a set and upgrade, barber qtrs and indian cents. Wish I could afford to keep all the coins I've owned that I liked.

Doug - The Blue Valley coins weren't my cup of tea. And even in a "soft" market, I can't believe that the 01-S in PC25 went so low. If it sold at all. It was way nicer than those other couple of VF dogs that have been floating around the past few years.

Jefff - Really like the look of your new 02-S. And the cuds on the date are a bonus.

Justin - Great date to be one of the few.

Paesan & Mike - Enjoy FUN, you lucky guys.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Thread stuck, another Paesan PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    And another, PC64:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    4th try, PC64:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I hope PCGS fixes this soon, PC30:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dale Friend's proof 1910 half (PCGS PR66 CAM). On its way from Heritage. It sold for 15% less than it brought in 2006, which is fine by me. Makes a nice pairing with my PCGS PR66 quarter.

• Options
    Thanks Doug for letting us know about the JJ Teaparty consignment.
    I was talking with Lenny and he mentioned that he had picked up a
    couple .. So, I ventured down with him., and browsed their NEWPS from
    the consignment you spoke of. Nice coins. Nothing to fit my set though.
    Seems the Halves were too mint state like and the Quarters were too new
    looking for my tastes.

Lenny, myself, Dr. & Mrs. Peter Shireman, Dave Wollinka ( SROTAG COLLECTION )
    { Barber Dimes, Quarter and Halves sets } and Frank Giamai ( Arcs En Ceil Barber Dime Registry ).
    went out for dinner at the Capitol Grille. Amazing meal, ridiculously great wine and the best
    of company rounded out the very busy day.

Today, will be a short day - these shows are killers - and am looking forward to checking out a few dealers
    I missed yesterday. Planning on stopping at table 1434 to see Glenn Holsonbake, he recently picked up a
    great group of Halves - and he is in the process of determining which should be Regraded, CAC'd or just
    reholdered. He also has a nice selection of Dimes and Quarters as well. Finances limited me from picking up
    a good Bakers Dozen !

Will search out Darrell - didn't see him yesterday. Chatted with Kathleen Duncan yesterday. She had her usual
    amount of knock out gems, and it's always a pleasure speaking with her. I also met up with Jon Potts ( Dimeman )
    and he was still looking for his Holy Grail... what ever it is, it's known only to him !!

I had one of the most pleasant experiences yesterday as well when I saw Jeff From Tampa. He has become quite
    the accomplished photographer and he wanted to show me a leather bound book he had brought with him. It was
    as professionally done as any I have ever seen. All his Halves were lovingly imaged in a side by side format with
    the TPG label at the top. The images were printed in "matte form" ( non glare ) and it was a joy to study, page by page.
    Thanks again, Jeff. Your album eclipses my albums - and one of these days, I would love to transform my sets into
    your format.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Really looking forward to some coin pics from the FUN show, sounds like there was plenty there to look at. I need to get to work on my pic taking also, bought a 100mm macro lens and haven't really used it much yet.

• Options
    Ron - Beautiful proof half, congratulations.

Mike - Sounds like a great time. Hope to see Jeff's printed images someday.

Pics for this AM, one of Doug's beauties, PC55. He liked this one so much (so do I), he sold me his PC58.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I remember posting about my experiences on the bourse,
    but the thread is once again stuck.

Anyway, I just unloaded my brief case at home and I found my David Kahn
    Receipt. My memory is fading... No wonder the YN's at Glenn's table called me
    an old Geezer...image..... Ha ha ... Damn kids should be seen and not heard !! image

I picked up three coins at David's table, they are:

(1) 1895-S PCGS 58 - paid almost double from the one I bought
    last June for the 55 I got off a Heritage auction. Believe me, it's
    REALLY NICE !!! .

(2) 1910 Phila issue - PCGS 58 CAC - which will replace my "old"
    (which is also an) AU 58 - purchased from a Great Collections auction
    this past February, for which I paid $30 more for at GC, without a CAC !
    This newest 1910 has all the snappy luster you'd ever want.

(3) 1916 Phila issue - PCGS 58 OGH - CAC which replaces my AU 55.
    This coin has a wash of light Amber toning over both sides. Again, the
    luster is not to be believed.

All three coins are completely blemish free - all have luster that puts many of my
    other Barber Quarters to shame...

Images may be awhile, hopefully at Easter, when Valente151 ventures south again.

Edit to add: Vern: Nice images... That 1894 Dime looks like it belongs in the Ginjamax Collection !

Ron H: Beautiful new Half... I didn't look at proofs at lot viewing... Just MS material. Love the
    mated pair - Quarter and Half... Nice job.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I had one of the most pleasant experiences yesterday as well when I saw Jeff From Tampa. He has become quite
    the accomplished photographer and he wanted to show me a leather bound book he had brought with him. It was
    as professionally done as any I have ever seen. All his Halves were lovingly imaged in a side by side format with
    the TPG label at the top. The images were printed in "matte form" ( non glare ) and it was a joy to study, page by page.
    Thanks again, Jeff. Your album eclipses my albums - and one of these days, I would love to transform my sets into
    your format. >>

Mike-

Thanks for your kind words and letting me show off! The book was heavy to lug around for 2 days, but it was actually useful when trying to remember some of my coins.

It was great seeing you, Notehunter, Barbernut, and meeting paesan. Let's do this more often- it was FUN!
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was also happy to see many folks here and to finally meet Pasean!

The FUN show was a 1 way street....Barbers going out the door and none coming in. The Blue Valley set was not handled properly IMHO and was sold at bargain prices. Yes I was a very disappointed collector with a want list that was ignored. If not for my disappointment I would have probably purchased every Barber Half that remained at the show Wednesday morning. That was a fire sale if I ever saw one!

I sold a lot of nice barber 1/2's at this show. I haven't crunched the numbers but I am pretty sure I crushed my record for barber half sales at a show! Some of the better half's I sold...1904-S in AU-55 and XF-45, 5 or 6 MS coins, 01-S in 45, 92-S in 45, I could go on and on! This is the 1st FUN show I was not able to improve my personal collection at all. image

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the barber market. The 01-S Quarter VF-25 going for a bargain(very poorly represented as I have seen the coin in hand!), the fire sale!...are the powers to be trying to upset the market?
  • Options
    Well, time for me to say a few things about the FUN show. I'll start with the boring stuff. I picked up 13 new coins, which is a fairly large haul. I'll mention the Barbers here and send them to Sandwichland for photos. 14-D and 00-S quarters in PC 58, 1900 half PC 55 and 13-D half PC 58 CAC. I had a lot of fun trading for these!

Now for me, the exciting part was meeting a whole bunch of great dealers and collectors, and if I don't mention someone's name here it's only because my memory is poor and it's not intentional.

Jeff from Tampa, Great album as Mike mentioned.
    Notehunter, Nice meeting you and having lunch with you and Jeff.
    Darrell, Yes, we finally met! Thanks for the invitation and I enjoyed our conversation!
    Dr. Pete and the Mrs, Dave W (srotag), and fellow paesan, Frank G, along with Mike Hayes...Wow! What a meal and what a great time at Capital Grille!
    Pete, Thanks for assisting in the 1824/2 quarter and introducing me to Harry L.
    Mr. Glenn H, always a pleasure to see you.
    Dave Kahn, Thanks for the beautiful 1833 dime. You've got some nice coins, man!
    Met Larry Briggs which was a big thrill for me and I'm really looking forward to my autographed seated quarter book. Could have spent a couple of more hours at that table.
    Barry (Key Island Dude) and Steve
    and the rest of you who I ran into...let me say again that you guys make the hobby 10x more enjoyable for me.

Paesan
  • Options
    TECHNICAL UPDATE!!!!

For those who would like to know. I just found a work around for when the thread is stuck! I'm surprised I didn't think about it before. Just go to the webpage address and in this example change the page from 42 to 43!

<< <i>

<< <i>I had one of the most pleasant experiences yesterday as well when I saw Jeff From Tampa. He has become quite
    your format. >>

Mike-

Thanks for your kind words and letting me show off! The book was heavy to lug around for 2 days, but it was actually useful when trying to remember some of my coins.

It was great seeing you, Notehunter, Barbernut, and meeting paesan. Let's do this more often- it was FUN! >>

Jeff,your idea of an album was great! The coins were well presented and it is possibly a marketable idea! I was very impressed with how far along you have come with your photography skills! The only thing I would suggest is to do it in a notebook fashion as your album was already out of date and you will have to redo the whole book everytime you upgrade a coin! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

your format. >>

Mike-

Thanks for your kind words and letting me show off! The book was heavy to lug around for 2 days, but it was actually
    useful when trying to remember some of my coins.

It was great seeing you, Notehunter, Barbernut, and meeting paesan. Let's do this more often- it was FUN! >>

Jeff,your idea of an album was great! The coins were well presented and it is possibly a marketable idea! I was
    very impressed with how far along you have come with your photography skills! The only thing I would suggest
    is to do it in a notebook fashion as your album was already out of date and you will have to redo the whole book
    everytime you upgrade a coin! image >>

That was my biggest fear... I wasn't sure how replaced coins could be omitted and the Newps added.
    My sets are always evolving ( as most of you know ) and the editing process would be constantly changing.

How does adding and deleting images work, Jeff ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>That was my biggest fear... I wasn't sure how replaced coins could be omitted and the Newps added.
    My sets are always evolving ( as most of you know ) and the editing process would be constantly changing.

How does adding and deleting images work, Jeff ? >>

My purpose for making the book was to create a "yearbook" for my set so I can look back through time to see the changes. I plan on doing another next December swapping out the new coins for old. The original artwork is saved, so the task is only to replace images of new additions.

I may make a book with pages where the photos can be replaced, but I hate to loose the class of the book created. I'm looking into alternatives; it's a work in progress.

One of my FUN purchases, a raw 1808 O 50C:

Obviously an easy date, but the one in my set is a 55 with toning I'm not all that fond of. I'm hoping this will 58, but time will tell. Off to our hosts this week with several other purchases.
  • Options
    I hope, Jeff, that I get a chance to getting a few albums of your caliber made up.
    I mean it - great job. I loved the whole book.

The new 08-O is a nice 55 { IMHO } but I wish you luck. Who knows, one of these
    days, PCGS is bound to bless an AU 55 with a "Plus".

I threw in some Quarter bids to upgrade a couple of my 53's... keeping my fingers crossed.

EDIT:

My two newps from the Internet only portion of Heritage's sale today...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, Congrats on your new (tough) quarters. They have a nice appeal.

Paesan
  • Options
    Mike & Jeff - Congrats on the good looking newps from FUN.

Darrell - Congrats on the sales. Too bad you weren't able to add an upgrade to your collection, but that's what happens when you have just about everything in the ultimate grade.
    Still find it hard to imagine that the 01-S qtr in VF25 didn't bring more. Will be interested to see how the market continues.

Paesan - Look forward to the next pkg. Sounds like you had the perfect FUN experience.
    NTT - From my youth. There's a man who leads a life of danger. Secret Agen Man. Johnny Rivers.
    NTM - Right on the tip of my tongue, but can't get it. Definitely familiar.

Scott - Congrats on the auction sales.

Pics for this AM, my '92, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    For those who would like to know. I just found a work around for when the thread is stuck! I'm surprised I didn't think about it before. Just go to the webpage address and in this example change the page from 42 to 43! image

Edit to add:

Verne,Nice quarter! I still have some holes that are fillable!
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    NTT-...a pretty face can hide an evil mind...
    NTM..."calling it your job don't make it right, Boss."

JR - SAM mid+60's
    PN-CHL mid+60's
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Was a pleasure having dinner with Mike, Dave, Lenny, and Frank. Nice choice for wine, Dave. It was a FUN time, indeed. Such times pass much too quickly.

Got to see the few remaining AU58 Barber Halves at Teaparty, something like 12 left, mostly "common" dates, although for AU58, that is a relative term...

My only purchases at the show were three mid to upper grade certified seated halves in VF30-AU50 all O mints, 1840-1856, nothing rare; they were just nice original coins, nice battleship grey. No acceptable Barber halves available for my core collection. Looked at the Eliasberg 1905-O MS68 Half in the Herigate auction, but it was a bit too mottled for my taste. I'll keep my MS 66+ example for now, and it's a beauty. Still, it's fun to hunt and look at coins that come up. Also saw an expensive half for sale, 1838-O SP 50 in a PCGS holder. Not too many of those out there.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I have been able to acquire an old friend that I never should have sold. image

Craig

• Options
    NTT- Secret Agent Man- Johnny Rivers

Yes Mike, your 58 quarters are really nice examples. I send coins in looking like that and they come back as a 62.

It's no FUN being back at work!
  • Options
    Sorry, the thread was stuck and I didn't know the NTT had been answered. Darrell, you da man- your "stuck" work around gets us to the next page (but unfortunately doesn't fix the problem).
  • Options
    Darrell, Great tip when thread gets stuck, and glad you had a good show.

Vern, Sweet '92! Got the tune!

Jeff, Got it too. Keep us posted on your submissions.

Mowgli, You nailed them both, as usual!

My newps are on their way to Vern and should appear soon!

Pete, Thanks again for assisting in the 24/2. What a beauty! I owe you a night out with the samba girls!

Paesan
  • Options
    Craig, Forgot to say congrats on your re-find!
  • Options
    I just saw my latest results from PCGS- my recent NGC crossover submission. Two didn't cross, but my '07 O crossed as a 58+ (from a 58). I'm trying to figure out the pop count for 58+ '07 O; anyone a Coin Facts member that can tell me?
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just saw my latest results from PCGS- my recent NGC crossover submission. Two didn't cross, but my '07 O crossed as a 58+ (from a 58). I'm trying to figure out the pop count for 58+ '07 O; anyone a Coin Facts member that can tell me? >>

There are no '07-O 50c in the pop report as of tonight, so yours will be the first. That coin will attract some strong attention if put on the market, IMO.

BTW, nice meeting you at FUN. Nice job on the book image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file