Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 25, 2017 7:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum
I was asked to open up another Barber Thread as the Part Two version was sticking,
Which is why we closed Part One.

I have read that there is a system glitch on PCGS which is causing posts not to load
unless there is another post immediately behind it ... which sort of boosts it along.

Last year at the BCCS Meeting in Chicago's ANA....

The Link to Part One Barber Mega Thread

The Link to Part Two Barber Mega Thread

Just a few choice goodies from my current sets:

My Grandfather's pair of Birth Year coins: Liberty Head Nickels:

Here is one of my original Dimes right out of the Dansco... image .Our hosts said it was Artificial Toning...

their competition disagreed.

A few of my favorite certified Dimes...

This was the first Dime I had seen in fully proof like condition... personally, I think its quite scarce.

Love the look - very original as well...

Where would this beauty fit into my set ? I was dumbfounded when I first laid eyes on it... I had to have it.

In a matter of months - I am hoping to have my Dime and Quarter sets imaged.

Here are a few of each that I really enjoy ...

Here's how the Dime set started...

imageimage
some of its contents:

Raw dimes from David Lawrence while he was still alive :

More Quarters than I have time to list... sorry...

Here is a coin I chased for eight years - and I finally found it - decided that I preferred my MS 64 instead -
this coin was graded AU 55 and received a Gold CAC sticker - had to be for eye appeal. This beauty now
resides in another Florida collection and has since been "upgraded" by our hosts as an AU 58.

Before any new collectors scan and forget what they just looked at: THIS IS A BEAR TO LOCATE !!

This coin was in my original set - which I sold in 2011 - I liked the coin so much, that when it reappeared at auction, I had to buy it.

My All time favorite Half - I set a high reserve on this coin at my August, 2011 Auction. The reserve was less than the amount it originally
cost me to buy the coin when it was in an NGC 65 Star Holder - attributed to the Queller Collection. I had the coin crossed - and it
returned as a MS 64 I resubmitted again - as I was sure it was a MS 65 and it returned once again as a MS 64.

I resubmitted under the new service "Secure Plus" and the coin was returned as a MS 64+. Although I received some bad press on my
reserve, I didn't care - its my coin - and if I don't want to loose money - I think that's my prerogative. My reserve was less than what I
paid for the coin to begin with - let alone all the fees involved with trying to cross and up grade the coin while it was in a PCGS holder.

This coin may never be available for sale - maybe when I'm a doddering old fool in Shady Acres Rest Home... LOL

Barberites must be sick of seeing that 1901 Half...

Barber designed a few Comm's and I just had these imaged

My father's birth year coin... the only gold coin issued in 1917...

Other Barber Designs:

The Obverse is Barber... The Reverse is Geo. Morgan's:
The CAC sticker was green - packing take ripped off the color - leaving a silver tone... LOL

Never really liked this design - but wanted an example regardless - so - a perfect fit: AU 58:

Ok, my last parting image [ for now, that is]

The coin I should have held onto - I auctioned it off under bad advice - I kick myself for not keeping it:

Mike Hayes
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Comments

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I always post this when a new Barber Thread is added! image

Craig

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL,Mike! Your going to make this one stall quickly with all those nice pictures! image
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Well Part III is off to a great start! Great coins and pics here on Page 1. That 09o is a treat to view every time. Also, gotta say that although its tough to get a great look from those pics, the Dansco album full of dimes looks UNREAL!

Labelman, amazing 92 btw.

Here's a relatively new addition to my set that I don't think Ive posted before. I looked for a nice PC55 or 58 for quite some time before stumbling upon this beauty in an NGC58 holder. It crossed with our hosts earlier this summer. Now PC58.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Ok. Glad to see some nice coins. Even if there is something wrong with that
    1907 Quarter...and, I absolutely love the Dime !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will chime in with words. I have a mental block and can't take pics...my wife, her father and brother are semi-pro photographers. My son's new GF is a professional photographer and is getting her MA in photographic arts, and I can't get any of these Yay-hoos to take pics of my coins. Sheesh!!!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice stuff! I remember the PL dime. Is the 92-S 25c obverse also semi-PL?
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great pics mike. Stellar coins.

No matter how much I sleuth and whore myself for coins, what I end up with is just dreck compared to Mike's coins. image

Friggin depressing is what it is.

Tyler
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have several Barbers and a few of them I go back and forth over in trying to pick my favorite. I was just visiting my safe deposit box yesterday and visited this one which is my favorite at the moment:

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Yay Part Three!
    Thanks Mike.
    Here's one I've been holding onto in a Dansco for a long time.
    Last of a mini-hoard. Off to the House currently for grading.
    Horrible picks, but that's why I don't share more.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
    For the new Thread here are a four of my favorite early S mint Quarters, with apologies for the images:

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage
    Craig

• paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Excellent job getting the BMT-3 up and running! Kudos!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭

Wow, haven't posted a picture in a few years. Took a little while to figure it out

Tombr, that's a gorgeous 12-S nickel!
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    3!
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Thanks for starting the new mega thread in such a spectacular fashion.
    Very appropriate that your first pic was from the BCCS meeting at the ANA in 2013. Besides the young man in the salmon colored shirt,
    other forum members that I recognize include: Glenn H (far right); Doug (first to the left of the BCCS banner); yours truly (lavender shirt next to Doug);
    and Joe W (first to the right of MFH). I know several others in the pic, but don't think they're forum participants.

Great to see other's favorites again as well.

JT - Nice '95 and congrats on the cross.

Tyler - Nothing that you choose to own, would I consider as dreck.

Dennis - No surprise to me that an 09-O was in your submission.

tombr - nice 12-S nick, thanks for posting.

Sunnywood - Great Gardner acquisition, thanks for posting.

Pics for this AM, IMO an under rated 'P' mint in Paesan's Stash, was N58 now PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Some real fantastic pics to wake up to, love the great looking toned pieces, from the looks of it you guys already have all of the good stuff.

Vern- Thanks for putting a name to some of the BCCS members looking forward to making one of the meetings
  • JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    So now that there are a few faces to names, I'll relay my initial thoughts upon meaning forum member Barberkeys (Vern) at a BCCS meeting last year. I was left with two very distinct impressions:

1. What a heck of a humble and nice guy he is.
    2. That is by far the most physically fit coin collector I have ever met in my life! He looks like he could crack a PCGS secure slab with his bare hands…..effortlessly image

Since meeting him, each time I wake up in the morning to see another beautiful coin he's posted for all of us, I always imagine he's already completed his pre-dawn Rocky Balboa workout!!

By the way I should add that each forum member I have had the pleasure of meeting in person has been a true pleasure to talk with and get to know a bit. Definitely one of the neatest aspects of this forum and this particular thread in my humble opinion.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Some great looking coins being posted - many thanks -

I was able to pick up a 1905-O Micro O Dime - which looks

really nice in hand as well as the image. It needs a professional

touch to bring it out...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Dave - There are still some beauties out there. The pics below of Scott's recent acquisitions are examples.

JT - Thanks, I only wish I had that much pre-dawn ambition. But I have been known to swallow a couple of raw eggs before.

Pics for this AM, great looking circ coins now in Scott's raw collection:

Vern
    l
    Scott, Very nice additions! Your raw collection is becoming something very special.

Vern, I was just going to use the egg joke but you stole my thunder. Great job as always on all our pix.

JT, Agree they don't come any more humble than Rocky Jr.

Mike, Nice dime! How tough is that micro o? I've seen a couple but I'm not paying attention too closely. It might be the same one being reoffered.

Paesan

<< <i>

Mike, Nice dime! How tough is that micro o? I've seen a couple but I'm not paying attention too closely. It might be the same one being reoffered.

Paesan >>

Hi Lenny,

I remember when I received a phone call from Liz Coggan well over a decade ago,
    saying she had a 1905-O Micro O Dime in Raw 55, and if I was interested ?!
    I mentioned that there no place for such a coin in my album, so I wasn't interested.
    I thought about it overnight and called her saying I would buy the coin provided she
    sent it to NGC ( at the time PCGS wasn't doing varieties in Barber Dimes - at least to
    my knowledge at the time ). The coin came back as a 58 - and it was a POP One at NGC
    and when I crossed it, it became a POP One in 58 as well at PCGS. Fast forward a few
    years, when I sold my two Dime sets, I offered JMW the chance to cherry pick both
    collections and he bought my first set in its entirety as well as a few coins I "made him"
    buy, ie: the Micro O in 58 and my 1st 93/92 Overdate - also an AU 58. The Micro O was
    still a POP One in 58 back in. 2010. Today the POP's have changed: ( PCGS POP's Only ):

Graded 20-45 = POPs of 47;
    Grade 50 = POP of 7
    Grade 53 = POP of 3
    Grade 55 = POP of 1
    Grade 58 = POP of 3

I think it's pretty obvious that the Micro O is very scarce - even more so in MS.
    My Newp is an AU 50 - in an older holder, and has much nicer details (IMHO) than
    an AU 50. Looks like at least a 53 or finer ... Just not an AU 58.

One of these days, I might send it in for reconsideration. Probably not worth the
    effort or the expense.

There was another Micro O in an NGC UNC Details holder at Heritage on Tuesday night.
    It was cleaned and I didn't want to take the chance of having to deal with cracking it out
    and submitting it to PCGS - only for them to reconfirm it was a cleaned coin. Granted, it
    was lightly cleaned !! Recently, I did see a couple of VF's in PCGS holders for
    sale here and there. I bought another one for my cousin's son - who loves Micro O's - and
    I got it from Larry Greenstone at a Baltimore show a few years ago.

I have come to realize, the longer you collect a series, the more you come to appreciate
    the varieties contained therein.

Note to PaydayResources: You have taught me more than anyone else I know when it
    comes to Barber Halves. You have had to help out family and put your collecting on the
    back burner many more times than I can remember. Once the youngest one is out on his
    own, I'll be sitting back and marveling at your newps and then we'll see who becomes
    "Freaking Depressed" ...
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    MFH, Congrats on keeping a thread going on Barber coinage that now is on its third part! I do like that 1892-O micro O half you showed. The reverse looks remarkably like my avitar, for some reason.
    Dr. Pete
    Mike, Thanks. Very helpful!

Paesan
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've posted my favorite halves and quarters in the previous threads, but never posted my favorite Barber dime. This was in an old, no line, NGC fatty graded MS67 (when that grade was never given out). The holder had seen better days so I had it crossed to PCGS where it went to MS67 on the first try.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Tom, No argument here. 67 all day long, and what color!

<< <i>MFH, Congrats on keeping a thread going on Barber coinage that now is on its third part! I do like that 1892-O micro O half you showed. The reverse looks remarkably like my avitar, for some reason. >>

Peter... That's because my old Micro O happened to be your old coin as well.
    This coin now resides in the CHUGUM Collection.

I often wonder what happened to the two AU 55's I once owned. I know that
    Glenn sold the PCGS one at a Stacks-Bowers auction a few years back, wonder what
    ever happened to it ... Also my ANACS 55 that I bought from you, Peter. I ended
    up selling it to Harry Laibstain ... He must have placed it in a good home as I
    have not seen it since then.

EDIT: Tom Bush, easily one of the nicest Dimes I have seen. It would not look out of
    place in the Simpson collection (now available thru Legend) ... Just went thru that Registry
    Collection and your Dime would slide in easily.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Mike - Good info on the '05-O micro 'O' dime.

Tom - Great eye appeal on a truly wonderful dime. Thanks for posting.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, was N58 now PC58:

Vern
    l
    To comment on my own coin, it's a little too white for the long haul, but I like the luster and strike, especially stars and shield.
    Vern & Lenny,

The 1907-O is, IMO, in the top 5% in terns of strike and surface quality. It is a beautiful specimen for this date (which is notoriously poor).

Toned or not, with these characteristics, it is very much undervalued and under appreciated by most casual collectors.
    Craig

Craig, Thanks for your input. Based on the strike alone, I was very pleased to win it when it was in the NGC holder. I thought it was 50/50 to cross and might even come back cleaned, but I didn't hesitate selling my PC 55 even before it crossed. In my eyes, this coin was much better whether or not PCGS accepted it, and I have a good friend who prefers PCGS holders. The 55 wasn't bad either.

Paesan
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one SWEET dime TomB !

K
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A new member to the family!image

I picked up a nice PCGS AU 58:

I already have a NGC AU 58, but I love the color on this one.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
    A month or so ago I posted a photo of a raw 1896 Half I picked up and was going to submit to PCGS:

It came back yesterday as a AU 50:

Now I have three 1896 AU 50 50C- one PCGS and two NGC. When it rains it pours.
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now I have three 1896 AU 50 50C- one PCGS and two NGC. When it rains it pours. >>

I've never been afraid to have multiples of certain dates when you can find them - keeps the hoarders from getting them! image

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

<< <i>

<< <i>Now I have three 1896 AU 50 50C- one PCGS and two NGC. When it rains it pours. >>

I've never been afraid to have multiples of certain dates when you can find them - keeps the hoarders from getting them! image >>

I guess I've now become an accidental hoarder!image
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I go on vacation, and wouldn't ya know there is a new Mega thread!!!
    Jeff - Congrats on the '99 acquisition, and on our hosts adding to your hoard. Still a ways to go to reach Darrell's level.

Pics for this AM, a recent Scott addition from the Stack's W 57th St "hoard", NGC62:

Vern
    l

Uncentered Broadstrike 1898-O 50c

My Isabella's the lower is a unique clipped mint error example.

Uncentered Broadstrike 1908-D 50C

Broadstruck: That toned Isabella, is that my old one ? It looks very familiar.
    Guess I should dig out my images from my lap top to confirm or deny it.

Interesting Broadstrikes too. I am still in love with that 1898.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

<< <i>Broadstruck: That toned Isabella, is that my old one ? It looks very familiar.
    Guess I should dig out my images from my lap top to confirm or deny it.

Interesting Broadstrikes too. I am still in love with that 1898. >>

MFH, No my Isabella is in a old NGC no line soap bar holder.

Thanks as the 98-O is one of my favorites too.
    A couple more "crossovers" from my recent PCGS submission. Actually, both of these coins came out of ANACS holders; I submitted them raw.

This 1906 O came out of a small white ANACS AU 50 holder:

I'm happy with the 53; it replaces a NGC XF 45 in my set.

This 1909 O came out of a small white ANACS XF 45 holder:

This new 53 replaces a PCGS XF 40.

I bought both of these at a Heritage Auction in June. I thought Heritage only accepted PCGS or NGC holders; is this new or was I misinformed on the plastic they would accept?
    I have bought several lovely Anacs coins of various series through Heritage. They often come at a nice discount to their PCGS graded cousins.
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my favorite Barbers came out of an ANACS small holder via Dave99B. Thanks again, Dave.

Patches, I recently commented on your registry set. Being a VF guy myself, I found your quarter set to be a very attractive set!
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of ANACS, here is a beaut. that I found on Ebay. It is at PCGS now looking for a new home. It will probably downgrade from its ANACS grade, but I can add it to the PCGS set.

Tyler

<< <i>One of my favorite Barbers came out of an ANACS small holder via Dave99B. Thanks again, Dave.

Patches, I recently commented on your registry set. Being a VF guy myself, I found your quarter set to be a very attractive set! >>

Thanks for the kudos, it's still a work in progress but close to done. I'm not trying to be profitable on it, and I have no problem still paying for better examples.

-Steve

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file