Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll guess the outlier.
    NG genuine. Environmental damage or old cleaning.
    Not that 40 or 45 straight would surprise me. I'm just going against the grain.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 for me as well.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that's from Tom, and I think it is, you're all going to be shocked, and I won't spoil it.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When is the reveal?
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not from Tom and the reveal will probably be tomorrow afternoon-evening! image
  • Options

<< <i>If that's from Tom, and I think it is, you're all going to be shocked, and I won't spoil it.

Paesan >>

PS! Those are my pictures!
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Tough coin, that 11-S, way under-rated IMO.

Darrell - I'll wait til I see the pics of all those Surf City AU58's, before I comment on any favoritism.
    And I'll guess 40 on the 01-O. Our hosts don't like toned coins.

Pics for this AM, newp into the Stash, N35:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    The 01-O Justin posted for me is the absolute example of PCGS not liking richly originally toned coins. I would take this coin for my collection over most of the coins I own in a 40 holder! Now I have to decide whether to blow away absolutely every coin I have in the set at the assigned grade or try to get it upgraded....either way this coin is locked into 1 set or the other!

>

> What does it grade! image

>

Keep scrolling and you will see! image

>

For those lazy Justins pictures are at the bottom!

>

Ready for this????!

>

The coin is graded VF-30 By PCGS! Wow sell me all you have like this! Very Easy sell as a 40 to most!

<< <i>A Darrell GTG. No guess from me, I already know.

image >>

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I gotta agree its a shame, in general, our hosts like white and rainbow toned coins. They punish dark coins often. The details are far higher tham VF.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way to fix that grading problem is to cross it at NGC as a 45 then have PCGS cross it as a 45. No joke.

I decided to take advantage of the PCGS Quarterly Crossover special to submit 5 more Barber Halves. that I thought had the least chance of crossing Smartly I selected the top 5 Halves from my set that I thought had the LEAST chance of crossing. Only pay for what crosses? Bring it on!

I received the coins back today- 3 of the 5 crossed. In my opinion there was only one surprise; a substantial upgrade. I submitted my NGC VF 20 1904 S:

I bought this coin raw about 1980 and first submitted it to ICG for grading in 2011. It came back as a "VF Details, Environmental Damage". I bought the coin looking like it does now- it sat in an album for 30 years. The spots on the obverse looked like a mossy type of toning that didn't penetrate the skin; ICG thought otherwise. About a year later I cracked the coin out and submitted it to NGC- it came back as a VF 20. I was happy they didn't give it a Details grade, but I thought it looked nicer than a 20.

Fast forward to 2014; I submitted it to PCGS for the first time as a crossover. It crossed:

To a VF 30! I feel good.......
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Darrell - Calling that 01-O a 30 is ridiculous. I would have believed a no grade before a 30. Oh well.

Jeff - Congrats on the crosses, especially the 04-S. Nice looking coin.

Pics for this AM, a newp into the Stash, PC20:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I can only assume that the 01-O Half in GTG, belongs to Darrell.

Granted the coin is dark, but it has ( as we all for the most part,
    agreed, that it's an XF coin) 40, or 45 details. No matter, it's XF.

Guess our hosts really only like white or colorful lustrous coins.
    You have no place further to ask, but to Tyler Child about the grades
    he has and continue to have on his great looking circulated cameo
    Halves. A flat out AU 55+ of his ( can't remember the exact date now
    but I thought it was an 1901 or 09 ) was down graded to an XF grade
    because it was darkly toned. So, that being the case, any Halves I see
    in a dealers case that are undergraded ... ( usually have a disclaimer )
    AU 55 Details ( priced at AU 55 as well ) ... Insert says it's a XF 45. You
    look at and realize you really like the coin... What do you do now, argue
    with the dealer over price ? Nope... I am just walking past these coins.
    No sense arguing and later crying over spilt milk that your AU 55 in the
    XF 40 holder wouldn't upgrade.

Personally, I like rim toning ( when I can find it ) but when I was collecting
    solely AU 55-58's, I liked a lot of flash, and wasn't (at first, anyway) concerned
    all that much by toning.

And, so it goes.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    For Michael!

Craig

• Options
    Mike - Good points. And I like the Kurt Vonnegut "and so it goes".

Craig - Nice coin, you just like to tease Mike, don't you.

Pics for this AM, a little rim toning from my collection (another courtesy of Paesan), PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern, Two things:
    -I like to keep Mike "on his toes" and he is as a very astute and "full of knowledge" collector;
    -I admire your imaging skills and would like to come close to being able to be as skilled.
    Craig

• Options
    I agree Vern, you do take some fantastic pics, you never seem to be at a loss to post something nice.
    I sure enjoy all the crossover posts, haven't had much submission luck myself in the past. I guess for now I'll be content with my "not for submission" VG-VF raw Barber half set I'm working on, and searching EBAY and coin shows for a PCGS XF now and then.
  • Options

My toes are kept pretty busy of late.... Up at 5:30 with the dogs... Short walk.... Then Breakfast ...
    Off to the Dog Park for their 3/4 Hr run with a couple of their Brethren ( a couple of other Dobermans )
    ... Then it's back home for a well deserved bath... Which they love. By 10:00 I am usually ready for a nap !
    They usually beat me to my own bed. It's a fair deal, it's a 60" wide mattress, and I seem to get a third !

Craig, I think you should upgrade that 99-O, it just doesn't go with the others around it ( I ought to know,
    they used to be mine ! ) once you upgrade that date, I'll be happy to take your 58 ( I have a nice 53 ) and
    my old 53 could go to another collector. Speaking of which ( blatant plug here: anyone check out Great
    Collections within the last few days ? There are a bunch of nice Dimes and Quarters as well as a couple of
    Halves up on the block, and the auction expires on 9/21 - Sunday ) the BST has it all out lined for anyone
    searching for a special coin.

My sets are now about as far as I can take them, so, I have opened them up on the Registries, here and ATS.
    I need to have more images taken ... I have no skill, nor do I have an appropriate camera to perform this task.
    My YN friend, Valente151, was gracious enough in July to spend a couple of days imaging my Barber Nickel and
    Commemoratives. Maybe on one of his vacations, he could come down again and knock off the rest of the Dimes.
    I think he did a great job. He was also a pleasure to have around, it's nice having someone to talk coins with !

As of late, I have been trying to help out another collector with his collection, which has by all standards, become
    very unwieldy. Duplicates upon duplicates, just discovering he is missing a certain coin, only to learn he had a duplicate
    Quarter of the date and mint of the Dime his was missing. Expensive mistake... 1903-S Duplicate Quarters in lieu of
    a 1903-S Dime ( which completes his set in Gem ).

I have taken the liberty of sending some coins back for regrade, not reconsideration, some were sent to CAC, some
    that I felt were fairly graded and not worth the effort, went straight to Great Collections. As that sale comes closer,
    I will promote it on the BST as well. Take my word for it, some very nice MS Barber Quarters and MS Halves will be
    offered.

Ok... Rambled on long enough. Happy hunting everyone ... Oh, BTW, the 1892 Dime in PC 63 that I just posted,
    did NOT come from Doug Veal, some other Doug V. from Florida. Regardless, it's a beautiful coin and as suspected,
    much nicer in natural light in hand.

Oh, the 11-S is just a really handsome Quarter and could easily get a 25, but it's for my friend's teenage son's collection.
    I think it has the circulated cameo look my friend is after. We are meeting next month at the Sarasota Coin Show,
    which is a three day affair October 24, 25 and 26th. It's being held in the Municipal Hall on US 41. Easy spot to find
    and plenty of free parking. It's also a free admission show. So, if you're going to be in our neck of the woods, stop by !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Craig - Thanks on the pics, but I'm a long way from a real photographer. I just use an old digital Nikon Coolpix and a desktop tripod.

Dave - I'm fortunate to have some friends with nice coins, to build my photo library.

Mike - I look forward to hearing about the coins to be sold. An extra 03-S qtr in gem? That's a dupicate to have.

Pics for this AM, probably the only qtr in Doug's collection with colorful rim toning. And a beauty it is in hand, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    That 07o is gorgeous!! image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

<< <i>That 07o is gorgeous!! image >>

I gotta agree, that's the top of all the wonderful coins Vern posts. Beauty!
  • Options

Doug... Really pretty 07-O Quarter.
    Vern... Thanks for showing it off !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Three NEWPS for the dime set each in PCGS 58
  • Options

Nice trio, Joe.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Joe - Congrats on the 3 additions, and very good pics by the way. What a wonderful dime set you have.

Was at a small show Thursday, and the highlight of the show was a beautiful AU58, 92-S dime that my friend Keith acquired. Will have to see about getting pics of it.

Pics for this AM, beautiful dimes and attractive rim toning gives me an excuse to post this coin again, PC65:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Never get tired of seeing that 1895-O...

Newp [ upgrade ] from Taxi Driver ...image

1903 - P - PCGS 58

Thanks again, Scott. Sorry I didn't call you sooner - and reserve the 07-S Quarter .... I hope Maddie's Daddy enjoys it....image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Well... seems as if posts are sticking - and I thought I did something wrong, so I reposted
    the above coins... seems as though the Thread was about to break into a new "page" and it got stuck.

No problem...

Here's a little something to fill in the gap...

"An Oldie but a Goodie"

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Congrats on the newps.

Pics for this AM, a couple more from the barber fanatic:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    I wanted to wait for the right occasion to make my first contribution to the Mega Thread Part III - I posted this separately in the US Forum so many have already seen this - some others know of the coin but for those who don't and want to GTG or opine have at it - she is a beauty in hand:
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    That is a nice quarter Scott!
  • Options
    Great quarter, Scott...the toning and strike are attractive. It looks MS64 or 65 to me.

-Steve
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Joe - Congrats on the 3 additions, and very good pics by the way. What a wonderful dime set you have.

Was at a small show Thursday, and the highlight of the show was a beautiful AU58, 92-S dime that my friend Keith acquired. Will have to see about getting pics of it.

Pics for this AM, beautiful dimes and attractive rim toning gives me an excuse to post this coin again, PC65:

image >>

Sweet dime!
  • Options

Scott: Love the 97-S. Looks MS 64 to me as well.
    I really need to see these coins in hand, regardless,
    it's much nicer than my AU 55.

Labelman87 and I caught up this afternoon. It's always
    great to chew the fat with him. I gave him a lead to another
    Quarter set for sale - and he's already been in touch with the
    owner ( it's right here on the Registry... Hunt and Ye shall find )

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a great quarter, and a great date too!
  • Options
    I said it on the other thread but its worth repeating…..that is one sweeeeeet quarter Scott. Congrats! image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    Scott - Congrats on the wonderful 97-S acquisition. Look forward to seeing it in hand some day.

Pics for this AM, Scott's 98-S beauty, PC64:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Scott,

I agree with JT, that is one sweet Quarter... and the 98-S is no slouch either !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Scottie, Congrats on your 97-S, and beam me up when you have a chance!

Paesan
  • Options
    Paesan - water, and maybe a flounder, you talking head. You're killing me.

Pics for this AM, gone but not forgotton, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern,

I always love your early a.m. images. Here's one of my missed buddies:

Craig

• Options
    Vern, Now I have to change my line again. Excellent music video too! I guess that was too easy! I too miss that 95-O.

Craig, as usual, also a very nice coin!

Paesan.
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC64:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Scott, I'll trade you my 98 quarter for yours above. They look about the same. I'll throw in a free one year subscription to my platinum CAC program.

Paesan

...and a free CD from Turtle King productions...
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    A lusterbomb:

PC64

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Lenny - I have to say I prefer my pair of 98-S quarters. The 64 is far superior to the 58 but I wouldn't be surprised to see the re-toned 58 sell for more than the original 64... The good thing about plastic is one doesn't have to spend hours examining a coin. One doesn't even need a loop any more. The lettering on the plastic is plenty big enough to read even with my aged eyes...

As far as trades go, there's a little S underneath the tail of mine which I like

Price of metals are crashing down .. Good thing I've been converting paper dollars to cold metal.. As I sit I'm about 15% broker than I was in June. However, I would love to trade your platinum CAC for my bronze and silver CAC membership. Mine are Album toned so there is a premium affixed to them.

Quantity/Quality
    Plastic/Metal

PS nice 1895-O quarter Vernon. Mine is a 58 but too bright and unnatural looking... But hey- it's entombed in the right plastic so as the now converted power ballad band (that were once upon a time great- pre Sandman et.al.), singing James Hetfield often declares, Nothing else matters

PPS - Darkstar- to borrow a phrase from Jerry Mathers, That 99 half dollar is swell
    imageimage
  • Options
    Darkstar, Very attractive contribution!

Scott, I guess I need to sweeten the pot. Since you like metals. I have 500 pounds of copper with the 16th president plastered on one side. I can throw that in.
    (I think that's 11111010 in binary. That's a lot!)

Paesan
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my 7070 Barber Quarter, unique in PCGS - 1892-O 25C Clashed Dies FS-901 AU55

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    H82w8 - I really like your 7070 BQ selection. Sweet looking coin.

Here are some quarters that are all relatively recent additions to my collection.

PC40
    image[/URL]

image[/URL]

PC58
    image[/URL]

image[/URL]

PC40
    image[/URL]

image[/URL]

• Options
    DarkStar - Tons of eye appeal on your '99. Thanks for posting.

oih8 - Good looking '92-O, nice date for the type set. And the clash adds character.

JT - Three really nice orig qtrs. Congrats on the acquisitions. Was looking thru the registry the other night, your set is really looking good.

Paesan & Scott - Great to see the bartering process in action.

Pics for this AM, one of my many favorites from Doug's collection, PC58:

PS. Scott, also as James croons, "Sad but true".
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    WOW--I attended the National Battlefield Coin Show in Gettysburg, PA today. I saw THREE 1892-O micro O half dollars there. One was in an ANACS holder with environmental damage, but the coin was quite nice---VF. The other two were raw. One was XF-AU and the other was in the VG-F range. Three at the same show is a real treat. Mike Dixon did a great job organizing this show. It's open tomorrow if you are in the area.
  • Options
    Nice hearing from you Tombr. I thought you might make it to the Battlefield Coin Show,
    and I am a bit surprised that you found three Micro O Halves. That was worth the trip !!

In case some newbies don't remember Tombr, he had a great set of Halves. He was also
    one of my planned stops on the "Great Barber Road Trip" that I made back in 2009 on my way
    to my Summer place on Cape Cod. Most - if not all - of my friends that I visited that Summer
    are no longer collecting. { Sorry to say }.

Spotted this Dime - and its a small bump on my overall GPA - but - what the heck, you can
    always use a pretty dime.

imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file