Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I know Vern posted here earlier, as I received a message
    from PCGS that BarberKeys had done so.

No post is to be found (yet) so, I guess this Thread is sticking !!
    Maybe my post will boost it along !

EDIT: THAT'S ALL IT TOOK !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern, Very nice run of 97-S quarters!
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need opinions on this 1916 D raw Quarter I just picked up:

The coin looks to be an AU 50 to 53, but my question is the toning; is it original or is it AT covering up an old cleaning? Thoughts appreciated!
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, I'd grade it XF45 details, cleaned and re-toned. But not AT in my opinion.

Doug
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply; I suspect the toning is AT. I think I know better, but sometimes greed gets in the way of good judgment.
  • Options
    Jeff, I agree with Doug. Pretty, though!

Paesan
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - I think it's been cleaned, whether it's AT or naturally retoning is hard to say.

Paesan - Got me again on the lyric.

Pics for this AM, a newp into the midwest from DK, PC40:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Vern, I love it! Toughie too.
    Hint: popular alternative 80s band.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the previous 10 posts, the only possible conclusion is that nice 1897-S CMM quarters are common as dirt. image

Either that, or the people who post in this thread have a monopoly on the handful nice examples out there. I'll go with that.
  • Options
    SAM5969SAM5969 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭
    Right Ron! I did say recently I think they are slightly over rated - but far from common - just over rated .. amazing it was an unknown (or unrecognized) by David Lawrence as recently as the the 90s
    The NGC-40 has migrated to PC-35 .. The two other coins that come to mind are Tom Bush;s choice VF and Steve (Patches) has or had an XF details with a 2 mm scratch on the reverse otherwise it looked pretty choice with slightly too dark toning just going by the image as I never had it in hand
    imageimage
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    Don't say you want me. Don't say you need me. Don't say you love me. It's understood - DM.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Nice, Mowgli! Possibly my favorite DPM tune.

• Options
    Paesan - Depeche Mode eh? Mowgli, good catch.

Pics for this AM, a dime from the Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    The "Stash" holds many surprises !
    I looked for that date - all I could find
    after 2 years of looking was an overpriced
    MS 61...before I located a dipped out 58.

Nice coin, Lenny !! Thanks for sharing it, Vern.

Edit:
    Vern,
    .....I meant to comment on the 97-S, it's a nice coin.
    Solid 40, IMHO.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Good fortune seems to keep following me. I recently submitted 7 more NGC Barber Halves from my set for "Current" crossover. Six of the seven crossed at current grade; no upgrades but I'm happy! Now my set is about 75% PCGS.

One of the coins I crossed was a 1896 AU 50; it came back the same. They have quite different looks; I'm having trouble deciding which to keep and which to sell. Here they are:

The current one in my set:

The new one just returned from PCGS:

So my friends, which one would you want in your AU set? I would appreciate any/ all opinions from the vast depth of knowledge here!
  • Options
    Jeff - My Honest answer for me is Neither but 1st one if had to choose one -- 2nd one is way too bright white .. Very pasty/unnatural looking
    imageimage
  • Options
    Mike, That dime was in your hands! I'm pretty sure you passed on it. As I recall, Vern had dibs but I do believe he offered it to you. That's all a little cloudy now. Anyway, I don't own it anymore.

I think I'll do a new name that tune every Sunday. Off topic, but WTH!

Paesan
  • Options
    I forgot to note that I posted pics of the second one raw here a while back; it had some sort of black spots on it (not toning). I sent it in for restoration to NGC- they removed most of the spotting. The coin is more natural looking in hand; I over exposed the photo a bit.

Heck, I'm keeping one for now- but neither will be my "forever" coin.
  • Options

Lenny,

Now I know where I saw it - and yes, I remember the entire conversation.
    You were holding it for Vern. Soon thereafter, I located an MS 61 [ subsequently
    sold on this BST a month ago ] and yes, you're correct, Vern did offer me the coin.
    I was very sorry to have passed. After a year or so, I also found another 09-S in PC 58.

I just happen to like Vern's coin more than mine.

I think Ron Hedden hit the nail on the head, based on the posts - just on this page -
    you'd think the 1897-S CMM is the more common of the two MM Positions. As a matter
    of fact, I have not even seen a CMM !!! I love Vern's copy. Then again, any choice
    AU would do me just fine !!

My problem is I love what I see, and if a prettier coin comes along, I love that one too.
    This series is like raising hamsters - before you know it - you have more than you can
    handle.

Jeff, my gut reaction has been for the 2nd coin. Aside from the comments that Scott made
    [ some very valid opinions ] I liked the overall look of #2 - as I hated the mottled toning of # 1.
    I would be too distracted by the OBV spotting, however. I also feel that the amount of wear
    on this coin [ AU level ] should have more luster present. The dipping removed the luster and,
    sorry to say, the life of this coin. Its still a very attractive coin - don't get me wrong. Its probably
    nicer than the example in my current set ....{ which happens to only be an XF 45 I picked up from
    Darrell Kreiss at FUN in 2012.} You have a good attitude, neither will be your "forever coin !"

Working on another CAC order recently returned [ after being MIA in NYC for 5 days ] and I will
    modify my BST when they get on Great Collections. Happy hunting everyone !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    As my collecting habits have shifted away from set building the past year or so, I thought I would post two of my favorite dates within the series

Below is my current collection of 1897-S and 1901-O Quarters I currently have as part of my collection. The coins range in grades from Fine to MS64. Most are certified by PCGS or ANACS, a couple are raw. As I had built up a large percentage of the 73 dates for the Barber Quarter series, I will almost certainly complete a full set someday (barring the 1901-S which is just out of my comfort zone in terms of cost to acquire, for any grade I would want to own .. I very seldom will buy the common date coins any more, but I will make an exception if/when I find an exceptional example (like the 1913-D in AU-58 I snapped up 2-3 weeks ago . I had an AU58 already but never was too fond of it .. the new one was sold considerably lower than what the seller could have gotten for it so I was fortunate to be able to acquire a very choice coin and sell my very average example at more than the new one cost .. a very rare event in the hobby of rare coin collecting indeed)

Back on topic - 1897-S Quarters:

May, 2014 - I grade this coin F-12. Acquired via board member ARCO (Tyler) and currently in my raw Dansco Album:
    imageimage

September, 2013 - NGC VF-30 - Looks XF to me - the reason I bought it .. Somewhat darkish patina and toning and definitely not the most appealing 97-S I own, and I know some people prefer this look (Tyler, Justin maybe as guesses) .. I like darker toned coins at the VF/XF level but I can't quite put my finger on what it is that holds this coin out of the "I love this coin" category. I do think it is very conservatively graded .. TPG are not supposed to use eye appeal - stick to the facts ma'm and leave the eye appeal to the beholder image
    imageimage

September, 2014 - ANACS VF-30 - Acquired from board member Dave99B via eBay auction - This has incredibly, amazingly original surfaces and is equally as choice as my NGC-40/PCGS-35 (CMM) that has been talked about and posted ad nauseum . This is the perfect VF Barber in my crazy little world:
    imageimage

July, 2013 - NGC XF40 / PCGS VF-35 - No need to expound here - the world knows this coin and my (and a lot of other people's) thoughts about it:
    imageimage

November, 2013 - PCGS AU55 - Here is a coin that hasn't been shown much, if at all .. I think it was posted a while back when I first acquired it about a year ago from Walt from his Brier Creek Collection. A very respectable looking lustrous coin with nice surfaces:
    imageimage

September, 2014 - PCGS MS64 - My most recently acquired coin courtesy of Phil from Eye Appealing Coins .. This coin did not tarnish the namesake of the company, but rather is representative of the name of their company - What a beauty ! Thanks again Phil
    imageimage

1901-O Quarters:

September, 2014 - ANACS XF-40 - From Board member Dave 99B - via eBay auction .. My images are not very crisp or accurate ... A tough coin to image properly - perhaps it will come out beter when a more skilled photographer gets a shot at it in a week or two. This coin has very choice surfaces and original luster in protected areas. Very appealing and a truly originally surfaced, as opposed to the many imposters out there, coin
    imageimage

June 2014, Raw XF40 - Acquired recently, this coin has a wonderful look and is perfectly at home in my Dansco album. There are a couple of very faint pin scratches or graffiti on the reverse in between the eagle's wings and below the motto that you have to struggle very hard to see even under magnification.
    imageimage

November, 2012, PCGS XF-45 - Acquired via DKRC in eBay auction - a CASS Hoard coin .. Absolutely lovely powdery original surfaces with traces of luster throughout. Just delightful
    imageimage

March, 2014 - PCGS MS63 - Acquired at the spring Baltimore Whitman Show .. This is another coin with unmolested, undisturbed surfaces and truly original luster and tone .. Softly struck in areas as is typical, the coin still has a lot going for it and is a prize for the collector seeking out coinage that has escaped the restoration factory

imageimage

Thanks for looking - hope you enjoyed the exhibition .. I only wish all the photos were of the proper quality to exude the true quality all of these coins .. I have 4 1908-S Quarters ranging in grade from VF25 to AU53 and a few other mini-hoards of better or semi key dates - three 1904-O Quarters, etc .. The one area that needs the most attention and expansion are mint state coins but equally important are coins in the Fine-Very Fine range.

Some dates, like the 1893-S or the 1899-O are multiple times more available in AU/MS then F/VF. Many are simply impossible in grades of F12-VF20 .. much more scarce than finding them in AU/MS. I love the beauty of choice, well-preserved MS coins but I equally adore the look of well circulated coins that have escaped mutilation and devastation ..

I believe the coins in the fine/very fine range are easily the biggest bargains of the series.

Hope you enjoyed another lengthy monthly chapter in the SAM collection
    imageimage
  • Options
    Jeff - My choice would be the first one, until one I liked better comes along.

Scott - Wonderful double mini hoard, of two great dates.

Pics for this AM, a couple of VF's I used to own, PC20 and PC30. Justin nabbed the 30.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 64 from EAC is outstanding
  • Options
    Nice write up, Scott. Guess we have The Southern Stash ... and now, The Northern Stash.
    I also love the 97-S from EAC, would love to see it in hand someday. The AU example is also
    lovely as well.

Justin's set of Quarters is just chugging away.... unheralded but gaining momentum. Nice
    pick up there Justin !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern - those two 93-S VF's are a pair of beauties .. where was I when they went for sale .. certainly sleeping at the wheel! Great scores Justin .. THe 35 I sold 2 years ago was similarly choice
    The VF-20 intrigues me, though I like the 30 better, I find the lower the grade the more scarce it is .. Couple of beauties there either way

Ahhhh - All the good times we had - I sang love songs so glad. Always smiling never sad. So fine.
    As we walk down the country lanes, I'll be singing a song, hear me calling your name
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott - Both of those 93-S's left me in 2012. Both were nice but the 30 was the best, my pics didn't do it justice.

And I think you were out doing the stomp with Zep. Did you buy that new guitar?

Pics for this AM, a newp into the Stash, and a beauty in hand, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Bump - stuck Thread.
    Same senario, PCGS notified me that BarberKeys posted, and nothing shows up.
    The last post was Scott's.

This should grease the works....

Edit: IT DID.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Vern, Good job on the pix. Thanks for posting.

Scott, When are you going on tour?

Well don't be too jealous, fellas, but I'm off to see One Direction with my teenage daughter. I already have a f!"^€¥ headache.

Paesan
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice write up, Scott. Guess we have The Southern Stash ... and now, The Northern Stash.
    I also love the 97-S from EAC, would love to see it in hand someday. The AU example is also
    lovely as well.

Justin's set of Quarters is just chugging away.... unheralded but gaining momentum. Nice
    pick up there Justin !! >>

I have a very shallow set of quarters. Maybe 5 at the most. Not much to write home about. I sold that 93-S last year. And the way i collect, I won't have any of those 5 next year. I'm a hunter, not a gatherer. Just my style.

• Options

This is very true - the fun of collecting is in the hunt !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Paesan - One Direction? Must be today's version of New Kids on the Block.
    And your NTT doesn't ring a bell, country music maybe?

Justin/Mike - Agree on the thrill of the hunt. But there's lots to be said for the friendships formed in numismatics.

Pics fo this AM, a newp into the Stash, 14-D/D, ANACS-58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Stuck again.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern, Thanks for all the Stash posts. Not country, I'd say old R&B late sixties to early seventies? Kind of Isaac Hayes-ish.

Paesan
  • Options
    One Direction is today's New Kids .. we actually provided their transportation this summer when they played Gillette .. What a major cluster-*&%$ that was ! Enjoy the show Lenny (if that's possible )

Vern - I "settled" for a 2014 Gibson SG61 reissue - Angus Young and Tony Iommi are 2 famous guitarists who played an SG .. Same family as the Les Paul - slimmer/lighter with much faster and easier action but the sound isn't as thick and rich as a LP .. I have an LP but will be playing the SG more for now at least (it's new!) .. LP are much tougher to play and will limit one's playability who are not expert
    imageimage
  • Options
    Scott, Congrats on your new guitar. Is it too late for me to start playing?

Concert was a bore, but the warm up band, 5SOS, did an impressive cover of The Romantics' That's What I Like About You.

• Options
    Paesan - Still can't get it even with the hint.

Scott - I envy your artistic ability.

Pics for this AM, another recent purchase into the Stash, PC58:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Justin/Mike - Agree on the thrill of the hunt. But there's lots to be said for the friendships formed in numismatics. >>

I agree. I have had the pleasure of meeting and/or conversing with many people because of this forum.

Paesan...I have a lot to look forward to with my daughter. image
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, a barber commem (one side, anyway), raw from my collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I have sent a few coins into our hosts for regrade -

These are the standard images you get when you submit
    under Secure Plus. This coin is scheduled to be imaged soon.

1907-S

1910-S
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't posted any pics recently. Had a nice submission, with a few surprises (seated quarters) and a couple of bummers- including this here '97-O half AU Details cleaned. Pooh!
    I think it's still a worthy one though. Been a date I've not had any luck finding in 45 forever.
    And did someone mention a Gibson SG? I've played my '63 since 1979. I'll be buried with it!

imageimage
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Mike - Good luck with the regrade, I'm guessing they are both in 55 holders now.

Dennis - Bummer is right.
    And Dennis meet Scott, numismatist and guitarist.

Pics for this AM, seeing Dennis' post reminded me of this stellar coin, was mine, now Doug's, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Dennis, Genuines don't get much nicer, and they quite often beat the graded ones IMO. Just a number on a piece of plastic, my friend!

Vern, Doug... I'd say that's the best 09-O AU I've seen.

Paesan
  • Options

Dogwood... that's one nice 97-O, regardless of it being in an un-numbered holder.

Doug... The 09-O is a perfect AU example. Excellent coin ... One of the nicest AU 's
    that I have seen. The only nicer 09-O in any grade I have seen in hand was the one
    I bought from Glenn (via Chugum ) and sold to Craig Timony. It's only a 63 but what
    a 63 !!

Vern.... Both are now 64's. Secure Plus holders. They were both CAC 'd before I sent
    them in for regrade. The 07-S upgraded from 63 to 64, and CAC did not sticker it on
    resubmission, although the 10-S regained its Green Bean status once again !

The scans do absolutely no justice to these coins.

Looking forward to the Sarasota FL show on the 24th. I'll only be there a half a day.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Dennis - that is awesome that you had an SG for that long I bet you jam and wale on it... Do you agree that the action is so much faster and easier to play than a Les Paul? But a Les Paul played right has such a sweet sound
    I learned to play back when I was a teenager ... put it down around the age of 20 and only picked it back up again about it two years ago.. Sort of like coin collecting for so many of us

Sweet looking 97-0 half too Dennis .. Guessing it has that washed in soap and water lightly 20 yrs ago, slightly faded luster luck look to it... probably is the reason they wouldn't grade it I'm guessing ? Certainly doesn't look harshly cleaned it all don't see any hairlines .. Has a very nice natural look to it... hard to tell for sure what held it back from an image... Send event once or twice more it will probably be graded

Mike those two halves are a couple of beauties especially the 1907 S - A rare piece for sure
    I'm not looking to start any controversy but just wondering how CAC is credible if they give a green bean when it was 63 and then give the same green sticker at 64 ? Am I incorrect in assuming that the 63 should've been gold?
    It's the same as TPG when it comes to that they are equally inconsistent so I guess it's just another opinion on another day from another source who was agreeing or disagreeing at that exact moment in time.. only proves how subjective the whole thing is. And When I say we have good days and bad days I don't necessarily mean good and bad in terms of doing our job as much as we look at things differently sometimes based on our mood, attitude state of physical and emotional well-being... It's kind of like playing golf. Some days you cant hit it at all... Other days do you play extraordinarily well.. And just when you think you have it figured out ... it bites you
    imageimage
  • Options

Scott....

Please... Reread my last post.

I said the 07-S was a 63 and a CAC when I sent it into PCGS for regrade.
    It came back as a 64. I subsequently sent it back to CAC where it did NOT pass.

The 10-S was a 64 & a CAC; it was regraded and remained a 64. It regained its
    CAC status upon resubmission.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Seemed like tons of luster for 55's, but I didn't think you messed with MS halves, hence my guess at an AU grade that could upgrade.
    Congrats on the upgrade on the 07-S.

Scott - Agree with you 100%, CAC is just another inconsistent grading service.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Anybody think the 97-O is undergraded?
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody think the 97-O is undergraded? >>

Holds up hand! image
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody think the 97-O is undergraded? >>

No, I think it's a high end 45...years ago, we use to have a 48 grade.
    I think your 97-O would fit that grade. Where we no longer have a 48,
    I think it's a 45 with a Green Bean ...image

Vern,

I normally don't mess with MS Halves, although I own a half dozen or so.
    Like my Dimes and Quarters, there are quite a few MS coins, overall.

The two regraded Halves are about to be sent to the block for the Heritage
    Coin Show of the Southwest in Dallas, right before Christmas.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old purchase, new picture. PCGS MS64.

• Options
    Darrell - Are you holding up your hand meaning that it is undergraded?

Paesan - I think your 97-O could 50 on some days. Depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Mike - Good luck with the sale, be surprised if your 07-S doesn't bring big bucks.

Ron - Really nice 95-O, thanks for posting.

Pics for this AM, found this old pic of a friend's raw 97-O:

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file