Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thread dropped to Page 4- time to bump it with photos of some recent purchases.

First up is a 1905 50C NGC 55 that I picked up at a Heritage Auction a few weeks back. My plan is to submit it to our hosts for a straight crossover:

Thoughts on how PCGS may view this coin? The OBV scratch is a bit of a concern, but the reverse is beautiful.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Next up is a tough date- a raw 1897 S:

I'm submitting it to PCGS- I believe it will come back as an AU 50. Any other opinions?
  • Options
    Last up is another difficult coin- a raw 1892 O Half:

I'm hoping this might come back as an AU 58(+), but I'm guessing it will end up in a MS 62 (or 63) holder. A really beautiful coin; I was surprised I was able to buy it raw at eBay for a very nice price! Anyone think it might come back as an AU?
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern, I saw your 01-S on Harry Lab's site. Wow, what a coin...and what a price! It was gone on day two. I have never seen four perfectly toned original 01-S quarters all together like yours. That F12 looks like Jim Dimmick's 01-S, did you by chance pick it up from him?

Killer key dates. You should be in the guiness books.

Tyler

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason - That's a beautiful dime, congrats.

Jeff - My guesses on how our hosts will grade your three are:
    1905 - will not cross, more because it's in an NGC holder, than the scratch;
    97-S - should make 50;
    92-O - MS62.

Tyler - Yes, I bought the F12 from Jim, and later it passed to a collector friend who sold it to Harry Laibstain. It's the F15 Harry just had on his site. F15 is what both Jim and I thought it was from the beginning. I only owned the three of them together for a brief period of time, as I couldn't afford to keep them all. The VG10 now belongs to another collector friend.

I have been very fortunate to meet, and become friends with forum member Mowgli. He has a wonderful collection, and has allowed me to take pics of some of his beauties. This rarity is PC53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, had my mitts on that 13-s for a few months (didn't make that one tho).
    She's a legit beauty. Still the only PC53. Same as in 2008.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff - My guesses on how our hosts will grade your three are:
    1905 - will not cross, more because it's in an NGC holder, than the scratch;
    97-S - should make 50;
    92-O - MS62.
    >>

Vern-

If I crack the '05 out of the holder and submit raw what do you think PCGS will do with it?

I agree with your assessment on the other 2; I'm seriously thinking of making the '92 O a "pocket piece" for a week before I submit it.
  • Options
    Dennis - By any chance did it come from the same collection that the XF45 09-O came from?

Jeff - If you crack it, my guess is 2 out of 3 times our hosts will bag it.

Pics for this AM, my newp PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, My unprofessional opinions are:

05 will be downgraded to 53. If you want PCGS plastic, I wouldn't try a straight cross.
    97-S genuine. It's hard to believe a 97-S half with such detail hadn't been submitted.
    92-O I'd say is a 63. If it comes back in an MS holder and you want a 58 instead, send me a PM.

Very nice coins!!!

Vern, beautiful 15 quarter. Looks 64-65 to me.

Mowgli, awesome coin! Glad you and Vern hooked up.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Paesan - Thanks. I have Little River Band from the 70's in my head for your NTT.

Pics for this AM, from Mowgli's Dansco, nice coin:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Stuck.
    Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff, My unprofessional opinions are:

05 will be downgraded to 53. If you want PCGS plastic, I wouldn't try a straight cross.
    97-S genuine. It's hard to believe a 97-S half with such detail hadn't been submitted.
    92-O I'd say is a 63. If it comes back in an MS holder and you want a 58 instead, send me a PM.

Very nice coins!!!

Paesan >>

I sent all 3 coins to PCGS yesterday; the '05 for a crossover at Current (I'm hopeful but understand the long odds).

I forgot to note that the'97 S was cracked out of an older ANACS XF 45 holder; I feel confident it will grade.

The '92 O was a raw purchase off eBay; I really like the look of the coin. If it comes back as a MS coin I'll need to make a tough decision on what to do with it.

• Options
    I've really only collected Halves in the Barber series- I see a lot of them. I also have started collecting Seated Half Dimes (I'm not certain why). I've noticed with the Seated Half Dimes significant die clashes seems to be the norm. In Barber Halves, however, I've not seen one- I wonder why?

I recently purchased a '93 Barber Quarter (raw with a significant die clash on the reverse:

The full outline of the head can be seen on the reverse. Are clashes like this fairly common on quarters?
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Vern,

Love the new Quarter. Nice look to it.

The 94-O looks nice as well, my wag is 53.
    I just traded my 45 towards the new 58.

Jeff,

Good luck on the submission. I just assembled a submission myself
    of 4 NGC Cross overs = 96-O Dime in 64; 93-O Quarter in 64; 97-S
    Quarter in 64 ( lol, not Center MM ), 08-P in 64. I submitted them in
    the NGC holders to cross as Current. I hate to crack out coins.

Also sent in a coin from this weekend for reholdering: 1913-S Quarter
    in PCGS 12. The plastic was so scratched up, it was hard to clearly see
    the coin. This is not my coin, it belongs to a friend who I am assisting.
    I am his To Go Guy for adding to his collections. I also spotted a great
    1908-D Half in MS 66, which I will be sending to CAC; the seller, Ben Todd
    of Sarasota Rare Coins - aka: sarasota numismatics.com - said it was
    in an OGH with a green bean, but the coin was sent into Secure Plus as
    it was high enough to get at least a Plus. No plus was received, but, I am
    sending it back to CAC for the green bean.

Lastly, sending in five (5) Quarters for Secure Plus Grading of previously
    PCGS coins. Hoping for a bump here and there. Highlight of this group is
    a 1905-O Quarter in PCGS 65. Coin is a flat 66, IMHO .

Tied in with this Quarter group, is a group of a dozen (12) Half Dollars all in for
    Secure Plus regrading, and there are some wonderful coins, ie: 1897-O in 64
    that is at least a 65 ... It took my breath away when I viewed it; another great
    coin is a 1910-S Half in PCGS 66. It's worthy of at least a plus. My favorite of this
    group is the 1902-O in PCGS 64 with wonderful Amber rim toning and screaming
    luster. Also one of the best struck 02-O's I have ever seen.

All the coins were sent in Express Service with the hope of getting them to CAC
    and returned to me before the Heritage auction consignment cut off date. It'll
    be really tight.

The coins not scheduled for auction will be imaged once returned to me.
    I promise to post them at that time.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - Die clashes in the half series aren't common as a whole, but the 1893-O issue is quite common. Like this double clash. I have also seen die clashes on 1892-O's as well. Here is the wildest barber half clash I have seen.
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff - Die clashes in the half series aren't common as a whole, but the 1893-O issue is quite common. Like this double clash. I have also seen die clashes on 1892-O's as well. Here is the wildest barber half clash I have seen. >>

Wow, those are really nice clash examples- thanks for posting the link. Now I know they exist.

Mike- good luck on your submissions! I've always wondered what the advantage of "Secure Plus" grading is?

• Options
    Jeff - I don't know enough about barber halves to say about how common die clashes are, but they're not rare with barber quarters.

Mike - Good luck with the submissions, there are some high powered coins there.

Justin - That wildest barber half die clash is amazing. Thanks for posting the link.

Pics for this AM, a couple of 98-O's with die clashes:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Jeff, Best of luck with your submission! Agree with Vern that clashes on quarters aren't uncommon. I think they are very cool, especially when the reverse stars come through the obverse fields. I have a few like that. I haven't seen a single clashed die command a premium yet, but I collect them for fun.

Justin, thanks again for that tip.

Paesan
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not remember paying a premium for my 1892-O Clashed Die FS-901, but it is cool!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, another from Mowgli's collection, ANACS-62:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 01-S 1/2 is a coin I would try to cross into a PCGS 58 holder!
  • Options
    That's a beautiful 01-S half. What's up with the upper right shield area?

Paesan
  • Options
    Darrell, I don't think it'd cross at any grade, as Paesan noticed,
    "there is something going on on the right top edge of the shield."
    I think our hosts might perceive that as damage, and give it a
    "90 something" grade.

It has a nice look to it, regardless.

My friend who I am assisting was high bidder on a few wonderful
    coins on the Gardner auction last night. Unfortunately, of the four
    he won, we severely underestimated another dozen and were blown
    out of the water on 8 of the 12. Four we were the underbidders - he
    was bidding "live" and decided not to overpay.... it seems a few bidders
    had auction fever.

The four he did win - were: 1896-O Dime in NGC 67 CAC ....1902-O Dime in
    NGC 67 ( ex: Pittman ) .... Two Halves: 1899-O PCGS 66 CAC ( ex: Hugon )
    ... and my favorite, the 1902-O PCGS 66 ( ex:,Dale Friend ).

To add some life into this Post, here is my old 99-O - Its only a 63 - but I liked it back when !

... and my 1902-O ... which I loved ... and still do !

He and I were disappointed in the fact he lost out on the 1908-O in PCGS 66 CAC
    as it had the exact toning pattern I greatly admire. He was high bidder pre-auction
    and got into a bidding duel with someone, then decided he was getting too high
    as he already has a really nice 08-O in 65 in his set. I would have gladly paid the
    Piper, if it closed under $3500....Was not going to happen ! Sigh !!

I am concentrating on the Beverley Hills auction for next week... I spotted a few
    nice coins for my Quarter album.

Well, happy hunting everyone.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Anyone pick off any coins from the Gardner sale? I watched the halves go last night. I did not bid on any, but there were a few that would have been upgrades. The highest end coins seemed to be a little off where they were when sold at Duckor or Friend, with a few exceptions. I am always interested in seeing how such coins do at auction, and one I was really watching, was the 99-S in PCGS 68. With only 11 in the whole series graded MS 68 (one is MS 68+), these coins come up only very rarely. With the buyer's fee it came in at just under $45K, a little softer than I expected. Even some of the MS 67 CAC coins were less than I expected, but not having seen the coins or had them previewed, I am not entirely certain how nice the coins really were. My experience has taught me that such coins reach about their correct market.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO if that 01-S half got genuine-ized in a cross attempt at PC solely for a mark the size of the eagles eyeball I'd think the whole grading universe has jumped the shark.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    The Thread is stuck... Next post after DrPete was Dogwood,
    its on the next page.

So, II thought I'd bump this along...

I mentioned the new 1902-O Dime my friend bought...
    here is my current 1902-O Dime... its a 55 ... not a 67...

imageimage

My old set had a 55 as well... need to locate those images !!
    Opps... seems as though I liked my old Dime so much, I bought it back ! [ Jan., 2013].....,

As you can see, two different perspectives on the same coin ... two different sets of eyes !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    wow... when its stuck... its stuck !!

My 1896-O from my 1st set... PCGS AU 58

imageimage

I do not have any current coin's images... its an XF 45 ... looking for an upgrade....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>IMO if that 01-S half got genuine-ized in a cross attempt at PC solely for a mark the size of the eagles eyeball I'd think the whole grading universe has jumped the shark. >>

My thoughts exactly!
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This rarity is PC53:

image >>

The skin on this beauty is breathtaking! I love it! image
  • Options
    I agree with Dennis and Darrell on the 01-S half, that mark on the shield is just a mark, nothing that will stop grading. It was nothing that stood out with the coin in hand.

Mike - Nice dimes, and a wise repurchase on you part IMO.

Tooky - Couldn't agree with you more.

Pics for this AM, a blast from the past, my previous 01-S half, acquired from the Barberfanatic, PC40:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Thread stuck.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    One more try.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    Hope to see some forumites in Baltimore. BCCS has a table (#1612), and a club meeting on Friday.
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    That 1901-S Half from Cary was graded a "40" ??? Could they spare it the grade ?
    Looks like a strong "50" in my book. In hand, who knows, maybe a "53" ??

No Baltimore for this guy. Have fun. Speaking of FUN, I'll be there for two days.
    Not working, just playing.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I was looking for something completely off track from Barbers on my Photobucket Bucket ...
    when I happened to stumble across this 1899 Half...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO OWNS THIS ? I have saved this image for ions... would love to
    know where it resides....

imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    WOW! that is a humdinger of a half (above 1899 NGC) Thanks for sharing that one...and making me have some remorse on "settling" for my 1892 TDR.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Regarding the 01-S half on last page, I wasn't implying that it won't grade. I'm still curious what the mark is or what caused it. It caught my eye and I stared at it for a while to figure it out. Thought maybe it was the image. Anyway, I think the graders would be remiss if they didn't have a long hard look at it. If it's a planchet thing then I wouldn't worry.

Paesan

PS Vern, love that 01-S! Do you have pix of my 53?
  • Options
    Mike-

That NGC '99 50C is absolutely amazing! It's hard to believe it's in a 58 holder and not in a MS holder. I would love to have a set of those!image
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    In regards to that 01-S half of Mowgli's:

IMO, given the photos, I bet that is a stunner of a coin in hand. The hit on the obverse, and the hit on the reverse (that's all I think it is) are the only down points to that coin. The obverse is highly struck, and very attractive. I think it's a great coin.
  • Options
    A friend sent me a bunch of coins that his father had saved - most - if not all - were
    bullion related - only one out of the ordinary coin in the mix - the 1895-O Dime.

I could barely make it out - the reverse was terrible. I thought I'd get it holdered
    and then have Ian sell it. It listed this afternoon... and it already has a bid { amount
    was set by Great Collections } ... My friend will be pleased .... Its not exactly what
    we have become acustomed to here ... but someone likes it. Auction is over in 10 days
    ... sorry for the plug ....

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike, I think it's pretty cool that you got that dime holdered and someone bid on it. We sometimes take for granted all that we have. That's a treasure for somebody. Nice job!

Paesan
  • Options
    Thanks, Lenny. No one would even look at it at Summer FUN... dismissed it immediately.
    That's when I realized it needed to be show cased in a holder... regretably, PCGS was not
    at the Summer show. I got the idea of sending it to GC because they handle raw coins
    [ which they submit for you ] ... less aggravation ... and I think it'll work out just fine for
    my friend.

Spoke with Glenn the other day while he was driving to a show in Fresno. It was a year
    ago I flew out there to help him out on his new web site by writing descriptions for his
    inventory - then copying them onto his site. The day after I flew in to the Sacramento
    airport - we drove to Fresno. LOL... I'll tell you, that Glenn knows how to show his friends
    a good time...all I can say is, everything you have heard about Fresno is true. I am just
    glad I was not there during the Summer. { Naples is hot and steamy enough for me ! }

During our conversation, he remarked that he had done some updating of his site, and that
    I should go and check it out. Which I did ... and of course, I had to walk away with some
    thing....

I love toned Barbers, in case no one noticed... image

Won't play the GTG game ....

Thought I'd show my old 65 I had sold in 2011 ...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Yep'ers, that is a nice 99 quarter. Glenn has some nice stuff.

• Options
    Mike-

You have INCREDIBLE coins. Do you offer tours of your museum?
  • Options
    Mike, I looked at that coin this afternoon. I'm glad you bought it. Congrats.
    Didn't know you worked on Glenn's site. It's one of the better ones out there.

Paesan
  • Options
    Arrived back from show in Baltimore last night. Had a great time and saw some amazing coins (unfortunately, none of them qtrs for my collection). Met up with and/or saw in passing several collector freinds, which to me is still the best part of going to a big show like this.

Mike - Agree that Cary's 01-S half was undergraded, IMO, a full 45.
    Don't know about the 1899 half, but it sure is a beauty. as is your 1899 qtr acquisition from Glenn, congrats.

Pics for this AM, a wonderful coin from Mowgli's Dansco album:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Wow, it's hard to believe that '96 O isn't in a holder! In my opinion it's an AU 55 all day long. image
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pics for this AM, a blast from the past, my previous 01-S half, acquired from the Barberfanatic, PC40:
    >>

Great looking half Vern. Know I now it is a special half with the Cary and Vern pedigree behind it. Part of my registry set now.

Tyler
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, it's hard to believe that '96 O isn't in a holder! In my opinion it's an AU 55 all day long. image >>

LOL! I'm staring at the picture hoping to find rub....alias 58....if I could see any I would make a stupid offer.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    That '01s Half is fantastic! image
  • Options
    Tyler - Glad to know where that 01-S ended up. I see it's in a new slab and still called 40 by our hosts. I'm amazed it didn't grade higher the second time.

Jeff & Darrell - Can't remember if I thought the 96-O was MS or not when I saw it in hand. There were so many wonderful coins to look at, my simple mind couldn't store all the info.

Pic for this AM, Cary's other 01-S half at the time.

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file