Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Broadstruck - Very cool coins. Thanks for posting!

Jeff - More nice halves. Congrats on the crossovers. The Anacs "old white" XF45 to PC53 crossover is particularly remarkable! Congrats.

ARCO - Awesome 13 half. Really like the look on that one.

Patches - Totally agree with Justin. Ive said this before but I always enjoy looking through your set. Easy to see the care with which you've built it. image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    ARCO, I have always enjoyed the coins you have chosen. As far as I am concerned, there is no better eye in the collecting world in VF/XF than yours. The 13P is no different. Not sure what ANACS gave it, but my own grading would give it a 30 OBV and a 25 REV. You sure know how to pick choice coins. Your set, when I first started collecting, set the bar for eye appealing coins.

JKT, I wish you would give me first shot on those VF quarters before you send them off for eBay auctions! image
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im trying to decide between MS Barber quarters(some lovely examples posted by the way) and proof cameo V nickels. Ive been searching for that one type coin to get in hand for the quarters. Here is my nickel...

imageimage
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff: Nice Halves. Thanks for sharing.

Tyler: Nice circ-cameo.

Jason: Having a few Proof Nickels is a perfect adjunct
    to your MS set. I might suggest you start a date set
    of Quarters. That way you can avoid the three key dates.

Broadstruck... Thanks for posting your O/C Quarter !
    ....I just noticed it on page one. It seems when I see
    the 1898-O Broadstruck Half, I forget what came up
    before it.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broadstruck - Very neat coins, I think my fav is the '08-D half. Wouldn't kick that colorful Isabella out of bed tho.
    Unsolicited plug, Broadstruck has many wonderful coins on the BST.

Jeff - Good move on cracking the ANACS coins and submitting raw. Tough coin, that '09-O half.

Tyler - Nice '13. I'll guess they'll say 30.

erwindoc - Great cameo contrast on your nickel. Hard to get good pics of those proofs. Mike, I don't think it's a circ proof

Pics for this AM, great look IMO, from the Stash, PC8:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Vern: I mentioned that it was Tyler's 1913 Half that was a
    circulated cameo effect not a circulated Proof .

Jason's Nickel is a Proof CAM ... and a nice one at that !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

I was very fortunate [ no, make that extremely fortunate ] to have been offered this coin from a fellow board member.
    He just retired his Dime collection - and has had a few people interested in some of his coins. This is a 10 point upgrade
    for me, and I just can't cherry pick any more coins out of his set. I think that he has a dealer very interested in buying it
    regardless.

I have offered my XF 45 to another fellow board member. If he turns it down - then I'll put it on the BST. { You never know
    WHAT you'll find on the BST !! }

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Congrats on the pickup Mike! Great looking dime image

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Nice pickup, Mike! I'm interested to see the Barber dimes that come available on the market, maybe I can find a few I need.
    Here are a couple of recent pickups. The 95 s was purchased raw and the 98 o was in an ANACS holder when purchased and cracked out shortly thereafter. The 95 s will be sent to our hosts (probably from the next Baltimore show) while the 98 o has a home in my LOC album for the foreseeable future. I really enjoy both.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

I love that 14-S.

Nice 97-O Mike.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Great pickups JKT...I bet the 95-S goes XF40 and the 98-O XF45
  • paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, Congrats on a very special coin!

Vern, Thanks for posting the 14-S. Although I have primarily focused on Barbers in the AU-MS range, that coin goes into my top ten favorites, and I've come to realize that I can get as much enjoyment out of a 100$ coin as I can with a 10,000$ coin.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a new dime that essentially fell in my lap, by being in the right place at the right time. It will be added to my set in a couple of weeks!
    imageimage
    Mike - Great addition on the 97-O dime, a true rarity. And I stand corrected on the circ cameo.

JT - Wonderful crusty original qtrs. I'll guess your 95-S comes back 45.

Paesan - I agree.

Jason - Right place for sure. That's a beautiful dime, congrats.

Pics for this AM, another Stack's "hoard" coin from Scott's collection, N55:

Vern
    l
    Pics for this AM, another from Scott's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    Scott, Some very nice coins, but I really like the eleven.

Paesan

<< <i>Great pickups JKT...I bet the 95-S goes XF40 and the 98-O XF45 >>

Hard to differentiate the difference between these two Quarters, I can't
    be as generous as my friend, Patches, I give both of these Quarters a VF 35.

I can see where the XF grades are coming from, as the OBV does carry the
    coins. Solid headband lines are strong and I guess I am not as versed in XF's
    as I once thought ! Both very attractive coins, regardless.

I love the 02-S and the 1911 as well. Really choice lustrous coins.

I followed my own advice to erwindoc, I added a choice Proof V Nickel to my
    collection, it's a PR 65 CAM.CAC

I also upgraded one of my Dimes from an MS 63 to a very lustrous MS 65, CAC
    I just couldn't resist.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Really nice looking '13 dime Mike. I like the toning.

I appreciate the comments on the raw coins I posted at the top of this page . To comment on my own coins, I personally think that the 95s is an XF40, but 45 wouldnt shock me. 35 would to be honest. In my experience (which is nothing compared to many here), full upper and lower headband lines coupled with reverse detail as as strong as this coin has will earn an XF grade 99% of the time. However, I have sent in quite a few quarters with clear upper and lower headband lines and have received 30 and 35 grades back due to wear on reverse wing tips and shield lines.

Would you guys believe the 98o was in an ANACS VF-30 holder? A newer yellow one, too. Id personally grade it a strong 35, with the wear on the reverse areas stated above holding it just below the XF level. I have definitely seen (and owned) many BQs in 45 holders that were far inferior coins. JMHO.

Mike - 2 really nice looking acquisitions, congrats. Great cameo.

JT - I would never have guessed that ANACS graded your 98-O a 30. I'd have believed they would have said 50 before 30. IMO, it's a 35, maybe a 40.

Pics for this AM, one from Doug's collection, PC53:

Vern
    l

Finding a nice AU 1913 Quarter is no easy feat.
    Very nice coin with lighter brown gold toning. I
    have yet to locate an AU, so, I picked up a decent
    MS 62 at a Heritage Auction a few months back...
    ( the image is on the Part Two Mega Thread towards
    the end. )

Spotted a Half to upgrade one of my lower graded ones,
    on the Long Beach upcoming auction. It's not quite as
    choice as I'd like, but it beats my VF 30 hands down.
    We'll see where it goes before I throw in a bid.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1897-O dime Mike picked up was in my Registry set until last week. I had to make a tough decision to sell it to Mike or another board member, but it ended up being an upgrade for Mike, so he got first shot. My collecting habits have changed the past couple of years, and I've decided to focus on acquiring Gem type coins in the future- like the 1886 nickel below. So I will be keeping a "box of 20" of Barber Dimes, all MS64/PR64 or higher and selling off the rest of my retired Registry set. This move made sense to me, because there are only about 10 dimes in the MS Registry set that I like to take out and admire.

Ron - Great looking '86. One of the great things about this hobby IMO, is when collecting habits change, a whole new area of appreciation and study takes place.

Pics for this AM, haven't posted it for a while, the most senior barber half in my collection, bought raw in 1995, now PC53:

Vern
    l

Ron,

That is one gorgeous 86 Nickel. As nice - or nicer - than I have ever seen of this date.

Vern,

Find me a 1913 Half that looks like that 1915 of yours, and I'd be eternally grateful !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Vern, Easy to see why that coin is still with you!
    Mike - I've been looking for halves that look like the '15 since 1995, without too much success. But the thrill is in the hunt, I guess.

Paesan - Thanks.

Pics for this AM, from Doug's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
    Vern, Send me the 15 half and ten bucks and I'll put my platinum CAC sticker on it. I grade at least bare minimum 55.

Doug, Like your 13-D and IMO an underrated date because the P and S get all the attention.

Paesan
  • LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    I agree Lenny. I consider the 13-D quarter slightly under-rated.

Doug
    Paesan - Your platinum sticker means more to me than all the green beans in NJ. Thanks.

Doug - I agree with you and Paesan on the 13-D. Not so easy to find the right one in MS either.

Pics for this AM, my 13-D, also PC58:

Vern
    l
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice D mint quarter!

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Composite images of my last two Newps...

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike-

You sure have a lot of beautiful coins! image
    I love them Barber Halves.....

Thanks, Jeff. You have Halves that would have worked well in my better set (now sold).
    My current set doesn't really compete with yours. Where I have more XF's and you have
    more AU's.

I have been concentrating on Dimes and Quarters - so the Toners are in abundance in those
    two sets.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget about your Liberty Nickels- I've been fascinated looking at your collection. You have the eye.....
    I love them Barber Halves.....
    Spacehd - Doug and I both say thanks.

Mike - Nice pics of really nice coins.

Pics for this AM, now a spare in my collection, PC30:

Vern
    l

Thanks for the compliments, Vern, et al.
    The YN who imaged my V Nickels, Valente151,
    also dabbles in selling to supplement his income
    as he is still a College student.

I spotted these two coins from his most recent
    CAC submission. I thought the prices were fair
    and the coins looked strong for their grade and
    both had a good amount of eye appeal.

BTW, Vern, I really like your example of the 13-D
    Quarter. Very lusterous and nicely toned. I would
    give it Lenny's Platinum Bean of Approval !! I wouldn't
    even charge you Lenny's standard $10 fee. LOL

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Composite images of my last two Newps...

image >>

That dime was one of the nicest MS65 barber dimes I've seen in a while. It came from an old ngc fatty. I honestly feel it is deserving of at least a 65+, if not a 6. Its a sharp uber lustrous gem!
    Mike - Thanks for the platinum bean on the 13-D. And I like your fee structure.

Pics for this AM, another choice selection from Doug's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l

Vern- That's exactly what I am looking for in a 1914 Quarter from San Francisco though !!
    Pretty coin. Thanks for sharing... Love seeing nice coins while I am having my Morning Coffee.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Thats a great looking 14 P. Supposed to be among the "easiest" date in the series, but for whatever reason I haven't come across a 55 or 58 in person that I really like in over 3 years now (that one sure would've qualified). image

Very nice "spare" Vern. I saw your upgrade on the registry and let me be quoted as saying..."holy crap!"

Mike, nice 13P. The 13 date is special to me as you know.

Doug, really nice 14P.

I recently took a chance on some crap scans on ebay for a better date. Here is my substandard attempt at photographs from my S5. The obverse has a full LIBERTY but that crud sort of covers up the R. The reverse is a bit blurry, kind of hiding some details. From my experience, it's a good 25. When I send it to our hosts, it could come back anywhere from 12-35. image

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very nice "spare" Vern. I saw your upgrade on the registry and let me be quoted as saying..."holy crap!"

Mike, nice 13P. The 13 date is special to me as you know.

Doug, really nice 14P.

I recently took a chance on some crap scans on ebay for a better date. Here is my substandard attempt at photographs from my S5. The obverse has a full LIBERTY but that crud sort of covers up the R. The reverse is a bit blurry, kind of hiding some details. From my experience, it's a good 25. When I send it to our hosts, it could come back anywhere from 12-35. image

image >>

No doubt at least a 20...Even from your pic's image I would give it a 25! image
    Mike - Would love to find a 14-S like that myself.

JT - I agree completely, it's very hard to find any barber qtr that looks like Doug's '14, with the possible exception of the 1892 and 16-D.

Justin - Thanks on the "spare". And congrats on another "justin look" VF half. Sad but true on the grade range you listed, but looks every bit of 20-25 to me.

Pics for this AM, still my favorite looking MS qtr in my collection, PC63:

Vern
    l
    Vern - Looks like you don't need any other 14-S with the PC 63 you just showed off; that's a mighty nice coin for sure !
    Now, you can leave the scraps ( AU material ) to those who just need one for their collection. It would be nice if I
    ended up completing my set before I eventually selling it. ( less the Big Three ) . I give myself two and a half more
    years before I sell off the Quarters.

Nothing new to report, aside from the fact, yesterday, I received my new 1892 Proof Nickel and 1913 Dime. They
    are stunning in hand. Thanks again, MV for working with me on pricing.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
    Double platinum CAC with titanium trim!
    Mike - Why the quick disposal of your qtrs?

Paesan - I foresee CAC offering platinum service. Just not sure how they'll market it yet.

Pics for this AM, the most senior qtr in my collection, purchased in 1996, raw:

Vern
    l
    Can't beat that!
  • BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike - Why the quick disposal of your qtrs?

Paesan - I foresee CAC offering platinum service. Just not sure how they'll market it yet.

Pics for this AM, the most senior qtr in my collection, purchased in 1996, raw:

image >>

Hey Vern,
    That's a very nice added bonus of the small sliver of cardboard on the reverse between denticles 75 and 76! Most of my coins only have the occasional flake of dead skin or stray cat hair.

Some people have all the luck!
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Many nice pieces posted on here ... MFH I see your collection has continued to come along nicely since 5 yrs ago when I checked out !!

Here's my contribution for today, 1901 quarter, PCGS MS67 CAC ex Gardner, pop 2/0.
    In looking through old auction catalogs the other day, I was struck by the way coins were catalogued by mint in the 1940's-1950's.
    "Quarters of the Philadelphia Mint" (all series), were followed by "Quarters of the New Orleans Mint" (all series), then San Francisco, and finally. Denver.
    In the Philadelphia section, so many of the coins were proofs. Most of the "name" collections had almost entirely proofs, as this was the continuation of an era when proofs were considered "better" rather than "different." I did stumble across one catalog (sadly, it currently escapes me which famous collection it was, maybe Neil), in which the collection included an almost complete run of P-mint business strikes for the Barbers and SLQ's ... a very unusual "new" idea at the time.
    Well, thank goodness somebody started getting the idea to save and collect these pieces!
    Otherwise we wouldn't be able to have nice complete high-grade sets of the coins that were actually struck for circulation.
    Thanks to whatever collectors of the past had the foresight to put this coin aside for posterity:

Sunnywood
    Thanks, Sunnywood. This is my latest set, as I, like you, sold off my primary set.
    I retired my set in August, 2011, three years after you retired yours. I must congratulate
    you on picking up that 1901 Quarter, it is tied for the finest known, but in all honesty, I
    would be hard pressed not to say it's the nicest looking 1901 Quarter. I thought my current
    AU 58* looked great... But it pales in comparison to yours.

(*) Image Forthcoming

Here's my 1901 from my 1st set:

I started my current set last year, and I would like to hold them for just awhile.
    More than likely, I will cherry pick out my favorites and sell off the rest.

At the moment, I have approximately sixteen duplicate Quarters that I am selling.
    I get a bit carried away, and need to focus.

I just realized that I had put up the wrong image of a 1904 Proof Dime I was selling
    and although my description was correct, the image was not. An interested buyer
    kept asking me for the image - and I kept referring him to the BST [ inadvertent plug ]
    ...well, it seems as though, I had added the image of my 1893 Proof Dime... Today, I
    realized I never added the Proof Dimes to a Registry Set... now its corrected:

Start of a Proof Dime Collection

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file