Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1982 Wrestling All Stars Series B new additions...Magazine and Order Form Photos...dpeck100 new addi

1982 Wrestling All Stars Jesse Ventura PSA 10 Gem Mint. This is really a pop 3 as one of the 10's was crossed over to BGS and I own it but it was damaged and has an issue with the edge so I tried to cross it back with no luck.

1982 Wrestling All Stars Greg Valentine Gem Mint PSA 10. This is a Pop 1 and super tough in PSA 9 Mint. I am very excited to add this to the set and another major Pop 1 to add to the Dpeck100 collection.

I check the pop reports every day and when these hit I emailed a few dealers that have sold high end Wrestling All Stars in the past and tracked them down. They cost top dollar but I don't mind paying it when I can get cards that upgrade my sets and I don't have to deal with the stress of a 7 day EBAY auction.

These are major additions to the Series B set!

Comments

• Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pickups, D! Very nice looking cards.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Congrats D! I can't see there ever being another top graded set like yours. image
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Yippy Ky Yay!!!

Congrats! Awesome cards.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are fine examples and I am very pleased.

I am down to six cards that I don't have in the top grade and the hunt continues.

• markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Jesse's line used to be, "look at that lateral deltoid Gene." Classic
    Jesse had a ton of major lines!!!

These are big cards for me. It has been over 4 months since a card surfaced I needed.

I am very pleased to get two at one time that are tremendous additions to the set.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice cards David, I especially like the Valentine.
    Good for you.
    Thanks Steve.

The Valentine is a special card to me. This is a really tough card.

It is tough to find 10's from these sets and this is one of the most difficult. This is a Pop 1 PSA 10 which is huge for me.

• kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Very very nice! I wish I had those in 10's but will settle for my 9's for now image (Ventura is bgs 9). Congrats again!
  • my favorite Jessie line is .....

Win if you can, loose if you must, but ALWAYS Cheat!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    There were some big auction results tonight!

As I have said for a long time, the Kerry Von Erich card is the one to own from the second set.

I thought I paid more for these two new additions then perhaps I should have but it could have gotten real ugly had I not just paid what the seller was asking.

The auction results tonight for PSA 10's were on fire.

Iron Sheik PSA 10

Iron Sheik PSA 10 $227.50

Spike Huber PSA 10

ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D400271814953%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1#ht_567wt_1396">Spike Huber PSA 10 $57.50

Antonio Inoki PSA 10

PSA 10 Antonio Inoki PSA 10 $73.50

The Hogan auto card sold well too

Hulk Hogan Wrestling All Stars auto $407

I won those 3 PSA 10's. I love the Sheik card so price didn't matter. I was the underbidder on the Hogan auto and would have paid more but the seller told me it has a crease. The winning bidder might be surprised by that as it wasn't mentioned in the description.
    I personally don't think these prices are crazy what so ever when you consider some refractor card that is a man made rarity can sell for many thousands.

I have paid at least $50 for a Huber, in the mid $60's on Inoki and the Sheik has sold for as much as $147 a year or so ago.

I thought I was bidding against you the other night and won the Mr. Wrestling II for $102.50.

Yes you did, sorry about that. Didn't think you would be bidding on that for some reason. We need to contact each other before these end and have a bidding war. Just tell me "Mark, this is mine at any price" and I won't bid image
  • I really enjoy when you post these wrestling cards. It brings back memories of a great era in wrestling. I wish wrestling now had the characters and storylines of that era.
    I just got Championship Wrestling Magazine issue #6 in the mail today which was from the CWF in Memphis and to my surprise I found these order forms.

What is cool about the various territories that the Wrestling News covered is their local stars are featured in the sets and on the order forms. This is the first time I have seen the order form for the calendar.

I bought five of them from Wrestleprints.com and auctioned one off and it bombed at $2. They cost more in 1982!

I bought 5 of them for $75 so I lost money on the deal but was just testing the waters.

Here are the scans.

Some fresh Pop 1's hit the pop report this morning.

Jim Brunzell and Dutch Mantel. Both very tough cards.

There was also some 10 action in the 1983 set with notable hits of Tiger Mask becoming a Pop 2 and Tully Blanchard which is now a Pop 4.

Wow on the 1982 B 10s......Brunzell will be a very tough one to match for sure.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
    The Dutch Mantel and Jim Brunzell have been added to someone else's set along with the Iron Sheik that just sold on EBAY for $449.99.

I am in the process of buying as many artifacts that are related to the Wrestling All Stars sets as I can. Today I got in the mail a great program from the WWF from early 1983. Norman Keitzer made the programs in the first part of the year before Vince began to make his own.

It is a super cool program and one of the featured bouts is Andre and Jimmy Snuka Vs. The Wild Samoans. Feb 18th

Just yesterday Pmkay posted a PSA 10 that is the photo used from the finish of this match with Snuka flying off Andre's shoulders.

What I found to be very interesting is that they label Bob Backlund as Heavyweight Champion and Ric Flair as World Heavyweight Champion. In so many of the DVD's the wrestlers say that the NWA Champion was the meca position in the sport and this confirms it. There are loads of photos from the cards in this program and another advertisement with a different wrestler on it.

• PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Here is that picture again

Here is the picture used for the Ricky Steamboat card.

This was a great find from April of 1983 in the Louisiana Superdome. An order form with Killer Kahn and the photo used for the Kerry Von Erich card.

I am going to continue to add some of the finds to this thread regardless of the set they came from.

Here is the photo from 1979 used for the Ted Dibiase card. Many of the stock photos were used for years after.

This is another great find. I already have an order form with Dusty on it and it features an action shot of Paul Orndorf so this is another version which is very cool.

• PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    How close to impossible would it be to get every card in this set signed?

<< <i>How close to impossible would it be to get every card in this set signed? >>

There is almost no chance that a Grand Wizard exists. The first documented advertisement I have found for the 83 set is in June and he died in October.

As close to impossible as you can imagine.........
  • KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Dave, good luck with your website. I'm surprised you didn't go for the 1982 Andre signed program. It has the 1982 trading cards ad on the inside cover.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400

• markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    How do you go about getting a website? Does it cost to maintain it?

<< <i>How do you go about getting a website? Does it cost to maintain it? >>

I bought the domain name for like $13 for two years and the website builder software and hosting for a little over a $100 for the year. In reality it could be even cheaper because I am paying twice for hosting because it comes with the website builder package from Go Daddy.

Once I get more of the magazines and order forms I am going to pay someone to put the site together and this will require the hosting package. I also want to re-scan all of the cards from the sets so the scans match. After I got more acquainted with scanning cards I learned how to make the background black so many of the scans do not match.

I got quite a few programs in the mail today and need to scan quite a bit of new content.

These were some of my favorite artifacts and scanned a few in and uploaded them to my site tonight.

This is the first time I have seen the complete photo used for the Jesse Ventura card. You have got to love those pants!

I have never seen this variation of the order with all of the others I have showcasing Tommy Rich instead. I hope to continue to find more.

I got a handful of programs that were similar just different weeks with essentially the same content and this was in a few. There are several variations and I will be adding them soon. The first has the Rocky Johnson photo and the second the Captain Lou Albano.

I just got this program in the mail today. It is from Christmas 1978. I was just a bun in the oven at this point! LOL

The cover features the shot used for the Mike George card. What I am most pleased with is finding the photo used for the Jack Brisco card. He was a big deal in Florida when my dad was going to the matches and it is a nice shot with the NWA Heavyweight Title. Brisco was a two time NWA Heavyweight champ ranging from the middle of 1973 to the end of 1975 so that photo was taken at some point in that time frame.

I busted a sealed set of these today and broke down and opened my last 1983 set too.

This time I took the time to open the set one card at a time from top to bottom and take note of the sequencing.

The 83 set is the only one that comes from 1-36 and naturally explains why certain cards have corner problems.

I had forgotten that the Kerry Von Erich card was the second card in the sealed pack and this helps explain why it is so tough. The usual culprits like Greg Gagne, Ray Stevens, Jimmy Valiant, and Bobby Heenan were very off centered.

Overall a very nice set and I will add a few scans of some of the better cards soon.

It always fascinates me to learn knew things about the sets. I have one more sealed and I would imagine eventually I will crack and see how they are. The 83 set was stashed from a prior buy of two sets with the first being horrible and I am glad I opened it. It had around nine grade-able cards which was great.

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    Does psa grade the sealed set like a cello pack yet?
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

<< <i>Does psa grade the sealed set like a cello pack yet? >>

No. There was a board member who tried with no luck.

I couldn't resist and opened pack number two. Bad move.

• eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    I don't own any sealed sets .. But if I did I would definitely pursue it. Prob not a good week wth national going on but at some point I would try to contact Steve from bbce. He authenticates all the "packs". So i think if you could work with him it would be a good start. The only other obstacle would be if it fits in a slab.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

<< <i>I don't own any sealed sets .. But if I did I would definitely pursue it. Prob not a good week wth national going on but at some point I would try to contact Steve from bbce. He authenticates all the "packs". So i think if you could work with him it would be a good start. The only other obstacle would be if it fits in a slab. >>

They certainly would look cool slabbed. The packaging is much different then a standard cello pack. The wrap goes around the whole pack and you have to get a hole opened and then peal off the plastic.

It is such a crap shoot opening these. That being said if you want a shot at pack fresh cards this is the way to go.

Here are the cards I will be sending in from the three sets.

The first 1982 B set

The second 82B set. Ugh.

The 1983 set. I included the Blasie even though the upper right corner is touched because the surface is amazing.

Looks like you got yourself some strong cards!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know Geraldo was a wrestler!
    Mike
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya David - for colored borders, those cards are sweet!

Good luck on the sub - I'm looking forward to your post.
    Mike

<< <i>Looks like you got yourself some strong cards! >>

Thanks Rob. As you know the sealed sets carry a hurdle to break even but if you win you can really win.

<< <i>Hiya David - for colored borders, those cards are sweet!

Good luck on the sub - I'm looking forward to your post. >>

Thanks! I have a large stack of cards with others from these sets and a few other sets ready to send in. I have to think a few of these will do well.

There are a few in particular that I would love to see grade high.

I already have two PSA 10's of the Iron Sheik (Geraldo image ) and while I would like to see that grade high my real hopes are for the Jerry Blackwell and Mike Sharpe.

I will defianately update the thread once they are submitted and graded.

Some fresh content for my site. I was excited to see a Hacksaw Duggan order form.

I just got this magazine is the mail yesterday. The cover features the photo used for the Dck Murdoch card.

This program was for the tag team tournament that Andre The Giant and Dusty Rhodes won and they only held the titles for that night. The photo with the description is the photo used for his Wrestling All Stars card.

Google search

Since I started the site I have been moving up the Google search rankings. I was excited to make it to page three a few weeks ago and then to page two.

Now I am not only on the first page but the third one listed which is exciting. I am not sure if it will stay this way but I am happy to see this.

I don't think I will ever become the first one listed as PSA is obviously a dramatically more active sight but at least you can see my site right away from a search.

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    When I type in "1982 Wrestling All Stars" it pops up #7 on Google for me on page #1. When I type in "1982 Wrestling All Stars" on Yahoo it shows up #1! When I use "1982 Wrestling All Stars Cards" it doesn't even show up on the first page in Yahoo. It shows up on page #2 on Google.

<< <i>When I type in "1982 Wrestling All Stars" it pops up #7 on Google for me on page #1. When I type in "1982 Wrestling All Stars" on Yahoo it shows up #1! When I use "1982 Wrestling All Stars Cards" it doesn't even show up on the first page in Yahoo. It shows up on page #2 on Google. >>

That is interesting. Maybe it is popping up higher on my computer as I have been searching frequently to see where it is at. It was #7 for me yesterday and I was happy about that.

Thanks for pointing out the Yahoo search. I hadn't tried that and it popped up as #1 for me too! Nice.

• I'm willing to bet that Dusty and Andre never lost a tag team match