Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Washington Quarter Registry Thread

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since there are other series popping up, I thought Id see how this one would fare. Its one of my favorites. Anyone else love them? Post/discuss your favorites.

This is my latest purchase...

Comments

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin,

Those are some sweet looking coins! I like the run from 32-98 personally, but I have dabbled in the state quarters as well. I have assembled a pretty decent set of clad quarters, full of conditional rarities. With continued help and some luck Ill be able to upgrade a few more.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    I have built and sold many complete sets of Roosevelt dimes. The one set I most regret selling was my
    Silver Washington Quarter Set. You can still view it in the retired sets under "Nick Cascio's Color Me Quarters"
    Boy do I miss those quarters.
  • rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin,
    That 36D is special.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

<< <i>Wondercoin,
    That 36D is special. >>

Ditto...what did PCGS think about it?
    Nick,

I just checked out your quarter set and it was amazing. I hope to be able to hang on to mine for some time.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. The 36-D is the pop 1 MS67+.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Great idea erwindoc. While I no longer collect Washington quarters, I used to own a 98% complete silver set in MS. My best piece was a 35D in 66, would likely + today.

BTW, in addition to wondercoin's outstanding 36D, I like erwindoc's 42. The photos make the surfaces look more like a 32.

I think Washington quarters offer collectors outstanding potential going forward for a set from the 20th century.

I would like to learn what issues you, as today's active collectors, think are the toughest/underrated issues. I was never able to find a 37D I liked.
    The first time I built the silver set, I had trouble finding a decent 37S. It was in fact the last hole I filled. That was low grade MS and I put the coins in a dansco. Now Im working on a registry set and I have been surprised at how tough the 60s are and even a few of the dates in the 50s are in upper grades. Im sure that Ill have the same problems with a 37S once I start putting more resources in the 30's. Hopefully, people with more completed sets will chime in.

As far as the clads go, the 73P, 91D and 88P in upper grades have proven to be very tough. I think that most other clad issues(Roosevelt, Kennedy, etc) during that same time are equally bad.
  • PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    erwindoc, The 37S was not a problem in high grade (65) for me. BTW, I checked your Registry set...very nice. Keep us posted on your progress, I will be interested to hear your thoughts when you put more focus on the 30's.
    Here is another cool quarter from my set. It is very challenging to locate super high grade color coins dated 1959-1964 - whether they are dimes, quarters or half dollars! They are all very underrated, but I know many of us on these boards know just how special they are!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Another gem!
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin, that '64 is a show stopper. Outstanding.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Thanks for starting a Washington Quarter thread.

I stated this recently on the coin forum, so I apologize if anyone has heard it before.

I consider myself a type collector but all of a sudden I noticed that I had accumulated a dozen or so toned Washingtons. Also, a couple of Cam & DCam Proofs.

So apparently.....I like 'em and have decided that's A-OK. Happy to have an interest in a specific series and why not the coin I grew up with.

Next event was for some odd reason I started looking into Set Registries. I had always admired others when invited to look but never even considered starting one.
    It's nice to see them in one place, organized, photos, comments, rated, etc. but you guys know all this.

This is a poor auction photo of one of my favorites.
    What amazed me when I received it was the luster that was burning through the somewhat mottled look.

PCGS MS66+

imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

Here is one of my favorites in the collections so far...

NGC MS67* (I love crescent rainbow toners!!!)
    imageimage

• BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very nice quarters so far.

• Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Here is my 64D in pcgs 67..... difficult to show the colors, luster, and overall eye appeal with a camera phone but you can get an idea!

BTW the reverse is blast white!

What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • pantherpanther Posts: 395
    Nice to see a thread on Washington Quarters. I hope that it will continue.
    I can't contribute much, as I am only 15th in the PCGS registry. But love to see nice varieties and toners.

Erwindoc, I was the other offer on that 42. My offer must have been too low, but I loved the quarter. I just couldn't see the luster in the pictures and I it is rare the I ever return a coin.

I think you bought My NGC 39-D MS-67 star quarter. It was bright white with outstanding luster.

Dale

I found this one raw and had it graded by PCGS MS-62 . I wish I would have kept it.
    The holly grail of Washington Varieties. 1943 Doubled die Obverse FS-103

<< <i>Nice to see a thread on Washington Quarters. I hope that it will continue.
    I can't contribute much, as I am only 15th in the PCGS registry. But love to see nice varieties and toners.

Erwindoc, I was the other offer on that 42. My offer must have been too low, but I loved the quarter. I just couldn't see the luster in the pictures and I it is rare the I ever return a coin.

I think you bought My NGC 39-D MS-67 star quarter. It was bright white with outstanding luster.

Dale

<< <i>

Yep, that was me on the 39D. Glad to hear you liked the 42 as well. I was the underbidder at a 42P on Heritage recently and it was not nearly as nice, so I based my offer a bit better than auction trends.
  • RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just sold My VG-08 to Help another member but have decided to hang onto this one for my set..........Alot of nice Washington's....Enjoy tom

<< <i>image >>

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Tommy,
    The goiter looks much better than MS-64 by the pictures.
    Maybe some day the price guide will be corrected on varieties. I know these sold for much more than the price guide says.
    Along with several others.
    Dale
    Dale, I do appreciate all the help you have given me, you know more about the Varieties than anyone else I know. I saw the MS 64 that sold for over 2500 on Ebay and Mine looked alot nicer, might send it back for regrade.

The Price guide is Off On Many of the Washington Varieties and I doubt they will correct them anytime soon. Even with the sale at Heritage 3 Months ago the Goiter remains at the same price.

Here is another Variety I am proud to have found raw, there are only 4 graded examples and this one came in second. Price guide is 50 bucks ROFL.DDO 102 Enjoy tom

<< <i>image >>

And will add my 1943 103 that Dale let me outbid him onimage

<< <i>image >>

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
    Nice stuff guys!!

I'll add another coin for the weekend crowd ...

Wondercoin
    Nice Coin Mitch and as a Variety guy the first thing I looked at was the D image Here is one from my Proof Registry Set....

<< <i>image >>

Link to My Registry Set.

That is one heck of a rainbow proof! Could not be much nicer if it were painted on!
    Great Looking 39 proof!!

Wondercoin
    The reverse on this 37-D is not so nice, and kept it from being a 67. It is 66+

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super pretty Washies, time for some dirty silver image

Cert# look up

Thanks for posting Jaime. Keep 'em coming!
    Nice Coins and Yes that 39 proof is one of my favorites, Cointime did you make that 64 DDR yourself? I just bought 62.50 in 1964 Quarters from the bst and found out the member only lived 30 minutes away. So I now have 250 Quarters to search. With Silver low its great to pick up these rolls. This is really the only nice toner I own AU-58 and its the Minor DDO. Love this Thread.....Enjoy

<< <i>image >>

Link to My Registry Set.

• Cointime, Nice 64 DDR there aren't too many graded yet.

Tommy, It seems like that 45-S DDO is the most common and not in the Cherry Pickers guide. it's a nice DDO.
    I have found a few of them, but none like your FS-102 , great find!!

Mitch, great looking quarters as always. He has a mighty fine set..
  • NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to thank the person for starting this thread. I just received a Trueview for my 1941 Proof Quarter graded 67. I don't think I have seen a quarter with so many distinct colors along the rim of a coin. There is Green, Blue, Red, Bronze, Purple and I could go on. You may have to blow up the photo a bit to see all the color. I am just very happy it came back as a 67.

This is a little something I found while Cherry Picking on Ebay.
    Hard to believe someone missed this one.

Tommy
    Yes, I made the '64 DDR, it was in an older ANACS MS64 labeled as Doubled Die Reverse and no mention of the FS804 probably because it was before they really started getting into listing them in specific categories. Searching through rolls is the best part, aside of finding GEMS image I like both yours and Jacks proof quarters!

Panther,
    It's been some time since PCGS has been attributing these varieties and one would think the pop would be higher than 5. We will have to see a few go to auction and the price guides go up to draw out more of these and see the pops go up.

Mitch,
    Your set as you all ready know is smashing and anyone can tell you are a true collector and not just a numbers guy!

Ken
    Thank you Ken.

And, to be honest, it is hard enough to collect the near 600 regular issue & major variety coins in the 1932-date set without adding in the complete varieties or MN trees. So, I have no aspirations to build a top set in either MN trees or complete varieties. That said, if anyone has a nice minor variety (even in the undergrade) I can add to my set (at a fair price), please let me know. Thanks.

Wondercoin
    Well I should correct myself and for accuracy. I know what I was saying but did not do a good job at it image

It's been some time since PCGS has been attributing these varieties and one would think the pop would be higher than 5.

Actually total pop for the FS-804 at PCGS is 10, but only 5 are mint state. There are 7 each total graded by NGC with MS63 being the top grade.

<< <i>This is a little something I found while Cherry Picking on Ebay.

image >>

Is that a DDO?

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a little something I found while Cherry Picking on Ebay.

image >>

Is that a DDO? >>

Yes that is an FS-101. I don't know how it ended up in a regular holder. I think the price guide is over 4k for one in 66. But this one graded MS-65 from PCGS.image
    I just slabbed this one a couple weeks ago. I believe this is only the 3rd MS67 ever graded of this particular date with just one higher. A very difficult clad quarter to locate in high grade! I had three super quality specimens that I personally thought would probably grade MS66+, MS67 and MS67, but they came back MS66+, MS66+ and MS67 (all pictured on Coinfacts). I am giving PCGS another look at that MS66+ coin at Baltimore this week.

Wondercoin
    Anyone care to comment on what they think separates a 66 from a 67 and a 67 from a 68?
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    ""Anyone care to comment on what they think separates a 66 from a 67 and a 67 from a 68?""

$$$$$$$$

I think this Is my only Plate coin in Coinfacts that is not a variety.
    MS-67 that I thought had a chance to Plus.

Nice Coins Everyone. Added this one to my Set Last Night. Birth Year and Like the Toning. Anyone know who this Collector Is? Enjoy image

<< <i>image >>

<< <i>image >>

Just picked this off last night. edited to add coin image

<< <i>image >>

<< <i>image >>

Link to My Registry Set.

1946-D MS-67
    imageimage

1957-D MS-67
    imageimage
    Great stuff!

Here are my (2) 1932-P MS67 coins ...

Wondercoin
    Those last four examples posted are stunners.

I just added a 1955 PR67 Cam to my set. Baby steps.

• Great looking 32's in Ms-67 Mitch, You should let me have one since you don't need 2 of them.
    I wish I could buy back the MS-66 that I had. If anyone that has it wants to sell it, let Me know.

And we need more Washington guys to chime is with some pictures and stories.