Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Washington Quarter Registry Thread

Comments

• Options
    Read every post all very coins, makes me realize I am still just a piker compared with all of you but I love the series and ultimately want to all 600 coins. Thats years away but I am getting there.
  • Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Best thread on the PCGS Set Registry Forum in quite some time. Lot's of nice Washingtons out there. BTW, I viewed wondercoin's set on the Registry, it is awesome.
  • Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The beautiful thing about this series is you can complete the entire series without breaking the bank. You can also complete the entire series and break the bank. For me I just want all of the non-key dates to be MS-66 and the semi-key dates in MS-65. With the 32-S in MS 64 and 32-D in MS63. That way the entire set has some continuity to it. I am not a big fan of circulated coins being mixed in with MS coins. I see sets of Barbers for example with circulated coins and MS coins and it just looks wrong to me. I understand that someone may not have the financial wherewithal to buy all MS coins to complete a set, but again that is why I like the Washington set, because no matter how much you want to spend, you can complete the set.

Well here is my last purchase, I hope to get it in the mail today. It is not a 67, but you can still find nice 66's for much less and still have a stunning collection.

Thanks for looking

Jay
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Best thread on the PCGS Set Registry Forum in quite some time. Lot's of nice Washingtons out there. BTW, I viewed wondercoin's set on the Registry, it is awesome. >>

Glad I got a decent thread going for once!
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok This coin is in todays Stacks Auction and for the life of me I cannot understand how this coin is Graded a MS 65 +

Take a look and tell me what you think and maybe I am just Nuts..................Is it because of being a DDO? thanks tom Stacks Auction Today 1943 S DDO 101
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1Tommy. I also was not very impressed with the coin as an MS65+ at lot viewing, but that does not mean this coin is the standard for an MS65+ quarter. Of course, I have hundreds of quarters that look this nice in my opinion and are graded less than MS65+. So what? I certainly do not plan to try to convince PCGS that the standard for an MS65+ is this SB auction coin.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Anyone bid on the 1988P MS MS67s that sold on Heritage recently? They had one in their Sunday and then on the Tuesday auction.
  • Options
    docgdocg Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Holy cow Jaime! Amazing clads
  • Options
    I could only dream of owning ANY of the Washington quarters Mitch has in his set. That 92d is quite spectacular!
  • Options
    PMScogginPMScoggin Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Mitch:

What a beauty! I loves me some '64s!

pws
  • Options
    "I just slabbed this [1992-D quarter] a couple weeks ago. I believe this is only the 3rd MS67 ever graded of this particular date with just one higher. A very difficult clad quarter to locate in high grade! I had three super quality specimens that I personally thought would probably grade MS66+, MS67 and MS67, but they came back MS66+, MS66+ and MS67 (all pictured on Coinfacts). I am giving PCGS another look at that MS66+ coin at Baltimore this week."

UPDATE - That MS66+ coin I mentioned in my previous posting that I had personally graded MS67 has now been regraded MS67 by PCGS. So, the pop is now a total of 4 in MS67. I now have an extra 92-D I do not need in my collection which is available for sale. If anyone is seriously interested, send me a PM.

Thank you PMScoggin!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And we need more Washington guys to chime is with some pictures and stories. >>

I agree, but I will say that it can be a little intimidating trying to run along side of the "big dogs" of the series. image

Here is one of my favorites. Appeals to my eye. PCGS MS66.

imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    I like it!
  • Options
    pantherpanther Posts: 395
    VERY NICE LOOKING 52 SPARKY. WE NEED SOMEMORE pictures/ for the weekend.image
  • Options
    I sold the pop 1/0 PR68DCAM 1950 a long time ago and kept this coin for my proof quarter set as I really liked it (and still do). PCGS graded this one PR68CAM, but I think it is a premium example of that grade. Wondercoin

• Options
    Nice 52 Sparky and if you look at my set were both newbies compared to some of these folks and playing catchup.image

Thats a real nice 50 Proof Mitch and I am still searching for the ETF for that Year. Here is my 37 Proof and its another coin I lucked out and bought from a member who upgraded his Set.

<< <i>image >>

And just made this one in the Last batch its a 67 Cameo Die Gouge. I found more examples of this coin than any other variety and yet have not seen one in the past 9 months....Enjoy tom

<< <i>image >>

Hope your all having a Good 4th Weekend...........

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Those are lovely proof Washingtons.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Such nice Proofs tommy. I appreciate and really like the '56. The '37 is just plain awesome.

And wondercoin, not many coins can stand up to the scrutiny of a photo that large. Yours stands tall with nothing to hide.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
    Here is a 1940-S Die Clash. You can almost see Washington's head.
    imageimage
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin's 1950 proof quarter is very nice, but the fields (as they appear in the photo) appear to be shallow and not deeply mirrored.

I picked up two 1950 proof sets in OGP some years ago that both contain quarters that have two sided thick, even frost on the devices and shallow fields. They look very much like the pictured 1950 and they are two of my favorite quarters.

I wonder if Wondercoin's 1950 quarter would have received a CAM designation if it was dated 1963.
  • Options
    SanctionII. The depth of cameo on the reverse is about as strong as the 68DC I sold as I recall. The obverse not quite as much but I have seen DCAM coins with similar depth. As we both know, the range of depth for DCAM coins is not recognized by the services at this time. Wondercoin.
  • Options
    Mitch, in hand do the fields of your 1950 68CAM quarter look like they do in the posted photo? Or in hand do the fields look deeper and blacker?
  • Options
    I think the coin looks a little more DCAM in person. Admittedly, I have not looked at it in quite a while though. I will try to get a look at it next month when I get to go to where it resides.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch.

Your replies reference the "depth of the Cameo". I am not exactly sure what that means.

The devices on both sides of your pictured 1950 quarter look thick, even, complete and very, very frosty. Maybe even approaching DCAM intensity.

The fields on your pictured 1950 quarter are what have me perplexed.

I have read Rick Tomaska's 1991 Book on Cameo Proof and SMS Coinage of the 1950-1970 Era and remember the discussion of 1950 proof quarters [and the photographs of 1950 proof quarters] in that book.

RT mentioned 1950 Cameo quarters as being one of two kinds.

The first kind is a Cameo with (if I recall his wording) "shallow mirrors". The second kind (which is much more eye appealing and desirable IMO) is a Cameo with "deep mirrors". The 1950 quarters that were photographed and included in his book included both kinds. The photograph of the "deep mirror" example showed a coin that looks very much like the traditional black and white Cameos silver quarters produced in later years. The photograph of the "shallow mirror" example showed a coin that looks very much like the two that I have and like your gorgeous pictured 1950 68CAM.

When I look at the posted photo of your 1950 68CAM I start drooling over how nice it is, but I wonder if coin in hand would show fields that look like those in the photos (again the fields appear to be of the "shallow" kind instead of the "deep" kind mentioned by Mr. Tomaska) or whether the fields look like those found on say a 1963 PF68 CAM or DCAM quarter.

SanctionII
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some very nice quarters here.

A couple I owned back in the day:

68DCAM, sold to Rick T.

• Options
    BG, Very nice looking 35-D . I love the colors.
  • Options
    rogerdiehlrogerdiehl Posts: 97 ✭✭
    There is nothing more beautiful than a nice, shiny quarter image

Nothing better than digging your hand (no glove) into a pocket full of quarters (I always end up with at least 10 at the end of each day) and just by luck finding one that fits just perfectly in my Dansco folder image

Wondercoin - I would put any of your quarters in my Dansco folder image
  • Options
    BG that is a Nice looking 1935 d and would love to have that one. Dale I have never seen a Die Clash on a Quarter and thats really Cool. Good to see other Washington Collectors stopping by.

What did everyone think of the Heritage Auction this Past week? I really wanted a few of those but was not able to compete with the prices realized. The 1936 DDO is one I wanted but it went for way over guide which really does not surprise me as the guide needs adjustment. Heritage 1936 DDO

Second quarter I was watching was the 2009 District of Columbia that sold for alittle over 3 Grand. Would have loved to own one of these. I really thought the prices were strong for all the ones I needed and shows there is interest in this series by a few others.

Enjoy the Day...imageHeritage District of Columbia DDO

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    I was the underbidder on the 2009 DC quarter. Not because I was convinced the coin was worth $3,000 (in fact I was worried many more might be discovered) but since I could not make that particular show (was in Asia) I figured I saved $3,000 on airfare and hotels and might as well spend it on a quarter. LOL.

$3,000 more to spend at the ANA now!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Good thought anyway. How is the SHQ set doing as a whole? Ive been slowly building mine now that its over. Having some trouble finding the early issues in 68.
  • Options
    Come guys and gals, Lets keep this thread moving.

I call this one Tiger Strips . MS-66 but looks 67 to but what do I know.

imageimage
  • Options
    Here is a new one for My set. Heavy toning. I think there is every color made on this one. I think most people won't like it. But in hand I do like the reverse . MS-67

imageimage
  • Options
    Sparky, love the 52. Mint sets from 52-54 seemed to have a higher proportion of blues than others. I like the blue hues!
  • Options
    I just picked off this 1964 Proof Quarter last night and its another one of those coins that IF it makes the next guide its a Great Score. JT has given me alot of his time teaching me and trying to help me find the 1962 Proof DDO. I still have regrets letting the first 1963 Proof DDR go thinking I would find one raw.

That was almost 2 years ago and cost me the number 1 spot. I did see on GC last night someone has finally found another 1963 Proof DDR but what there asking for that coin is Moon money to me. 1964 Proof Quarter DDO Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    I really dig the tiger stripes, panther and great pick-up tommy.

<< <i>Sparky, love the 52. Mint sets from 52-54 seemed to have a higher proportion of blues than others. I like the blue hues! >>

Thanks docg. Appreciate that.

Seems to me that Washingtons are quite strong now and may have picked up in the last 6 months or so. Seems to be more competition than usual on the auction front.
    I directly blame this thread and demand that it be taken down immediately. imageimage

Can any vets of the series give their opinion on the current market and maybe a short history. I assume that Statehood Quarters were a shot in the arm to the entire series?

• Options
    Well Sparky64 Since you and I are chasing the others will Have more chances to Post New Purchases. I keep telling myself I want to sell off all of Mine and than I come across another that I Like.

So Here is My newest Purchase and its the Plate coin in Coin Facts. MS 65 and looks good to my eyes for the Grade and its the DDO-101 Enjoy image

<< <i>image >>

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    papabearpapabear Posts: 849 ✭✭

1934-D Heavy Motto small D PCGS MS-64 found him raw and sent to PCGS myself
    My best find raw image
    I have built the raw Washington Quarter set 1932-1998 all ms grade took me over 10 years to do image

if anybody thinks this is some thing more than just a small "D" please let me know.

Thank You Papabear image
  • Options
    Papabear Talking to other collectors I am starting to realize its a 10 year project. I did the proofs 36 thru 64 and that was done in under 2 Years.

The MS set I think sometimes I will never complete. 180 coins with Varieties. But I keep getting drawn back in with the Varieties. Congrats on your Raw find and I have never seen a small D like yours with the larger D Below it.

I also noticed the Die Crack above the D and wonder if that is another Die Marker for that coin? My 1939 S DDO showed up today and totally happy with adding it to the Others.... 9 years to go....Enjoy image

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 867 ✭✭✭✭
    What about a nice long post about the grading nuances of Washington Quarters. I find the washies as one of the hardest sets for me to grade so I would love for someone with some serious knowledge to share... Please

John
  • Options
    Relaxn. The Washington quarters are a challenging series to understand grading. And, I would suggest simply studying the coins every chance you get for years and years. A perfect way to do that is to attend a Heritage or Stacks Bowers sale and examine all of the Washington Quarters in the sale. It is not uncommon for there to be dozens of MS67 grade coins as well as an occasional MS68 and tons of MS65/MS66 coins. After examining these coins on countless occasions over the years, one day the "light will go on" and all the chaos will start to make some sense. Now, of course, the coins in these sales will not be perfectly graded; in fact, expect to see many, many low end coins for the grade as the premium coins are often held on to by dealers for years and years in the quest for an upgrade (as well as gobbled up by the serious collectors of the series). And, that is why you will need to examine myriad coins over an extended period of time. If one looks at a single sale or two, one might confuse all of the low end coins as the standard for that particular grade, which could be a costly mistake.

I recently purchased a 1961-D Washington Quarter grading PCGS-MS66 at a public auction and paid around $250 for it. This is a coin that is worth about $200 or so in MS66 and around $7,000+ give or take in MS67 (in fact, the high sale on this date in MS67 is $18,750 as I recall a few years back) . I thought the coin could grade MS67 and the "spread" made the coin very interesting. Obviously, the first time PCGS saw it, they thought the coin was an MS66 (the holder it was presently in assuming it had not been submitted many times before). I submitted the coin at a major show earlier in the year and the coin, once again, graded MS66. I was surprised that the coin did not even grade MS66+ as I still though the coin had "the look" of an MS67 for this date. On my second submission, the coin regraded MS67. Honestly, I would have submitted the coin at least 10-20 times in the quest for the MS67 as I felt my experience supported the fact that the coin was an MS67. In the same order, I went 0/5 on coins currently in MS67+ holders that I was shooting for MS68 not to mention striking out on a number of MS67 coins I was shooting for MS67+. This 61-D obviously covered the cost of the entire invoice (more than $1,300) especially because the coin now goes into my personal collection but, this is a very costly "game" if one is not well studied on their series of choice. My son points out every time I "roll the dice" on a 20 coin order like this that I am "spending the cost of (3) Sony Playstation 4's" just so PCGS can once again see (20) coins they did not like last time! And, when they go 0/20 (which they have), trust me it hurts!

So, you ask for "nuances" with respect to the grading. I would say this ... try to find Washington Quarters that have great eye appeal that "speak to you" when you "romance them" between your fingers (if raw) or slightly rotate the holders. Be very careful when you fall in love with the darker colored coins ... I have had the least amount of success (upgrading that is) with these coins even though I personally enjoy them. Great luster really helps as well. Soft strikes really killed the grade on Washington quarters back 10-20 years ago, but now a weaker strike matters far less I have personally found. I see tons of coins in MS67 and MS67+ holders with weak strikes that might not have graded even MS66+ back then had there been an MS66+ grade. Finally, don't ignore obvious contact marks, but keep in mind that the Washington quarter series has evolved a bit over the years where a coin with great color and luster can still achieve an MS67 grade (and possibly even an MS67+ grade) even with obvious marks (which was not often the case generally back 10-20 years ago).

I know this is just a start, but all the other board members can illuminate the nuances of Washington Quarter grading further from here. Good luck!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I would say pay close attention to the forehead, cheek and neck on the bust in terms of contact marks. Look carefully in the obverse fields for marks as well. Pay close attention on toned coins as these marks can hide, especially in photos. A MS67 should be relatively free from marks in these areas, although 1-2 can be permitted. The reverse has more places for marks to hide, but look over the head and bust of the eagle carefully. Ive found that marks in these locations limit the grade.

One final point that I would make that follows up on Wondercoin's post is luster. Luster, IMO, can make the graders push up a coin if it is blazing, even if it has a couple of detracting marks. Dull luster can lower the grade on a super smooth coin too. You will have to look at several in hand to learn this though.
  • Options
    Here is one I was hoping would get the +, but it did not (MS67)...

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Here is one I was hoping would grade MS68 (as the color looks real nice in hand), but it went MS67+

Wondercoin
  • Options
    I thought PCGS could give this one an MS68, but 67+ is all she wrote!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, it looks like the Roosie thread is at 300 posts and this one can only muster 95. Mitch that 77 has some cool colors. More Roosie collectors than Washington collectors, really.....

• Options
    Nice CA.

Anyone have an extra CA P or D in MS68 business strike available for sale?

Wondercoin
  • Options

<< <i>Ok, it looks like the Roosie thread is at 300 posts and this one can only muster 95. Mitch that 77 has some cool colors. More Roosie collectors than Washington collectors, really.....

Im on both sides of this one. Ill keep the quarter thread going. Here is one of my newps for the weekend. I had been looking for a nice 49P for some time. This one is MS67 and CAC...
  • Options
    Here is another one 1936P MS67 and CAC...
  • Options
    I'll play.

The Washington series has attracted me for 45 years.

They are all I have done for that time, probably all I will ever do.

Started when I was 14 or so pulling coins from circulation.

One of the things I like is that they are possible for the "everyman" to collect and complete. For the people that have trouble keeping fuel in the truck.

People like me! image

This my favorite. Actually this is my second favorite. I am having trouble finding the example as is on my avatar. I will post it as soon as I find it.

This is a 37-D in NGC 65.

• Options
    Nice 37-D for the grade!

Wondercoin