Home U.S. Coin Forum

***The Official 2013 American Buffalo Reverse Proof(BV1) Thread***......Post your order numbers here

Comments

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time Out

HE>I

• marvinfmarvinf Posts: 45 ✭✭
    The Mint finally responded to my question about the possibility of future reverse proof buffalos:

"Thank you for your inquiry to the United States Mint.

This year, we celebrated the centennial of the design of the American Buffalo by offering the American Buffalo One Ounce Gold Reverse Proof Coin. Although the coin will not be issued annually, we may offer it again to mark a significant date or occasion.

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,
    United States Mint"
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Still waiting for mine, my ship date is now 15 October. >>

that is terrible.... looks like returns going out
  • MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013-W $50 Buffalo Gold Reverse Proof PCGS PR69 First Strike Reverse Proof 69 FS

***100th Anniversary Buffalo Label***

***FREE No-Hassle Domestic Shipping***

That is the listing for the ONLY RP Buff MCM has in their offerings.

Anyone feeling good?
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 4 coins are back... 50/50 on 70/69 image

imageimageimageimage

Erik
  • HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2013-W $50 Buffalo Gold Reverse Proof PCGS PR69 First Strike Reverse Proof 69 FS

***100th Anniversary Buffalo Label***

***FREE No-Hassle Domestic Shipping***

That is the listing for the ONLY RP Buff MCM has in their offerings.

Anyone feeling good? >>

They seem to have dried up almost everywhere. Only the " stale " ones left on the Bay.

What do you think Miles ? Pent up demand waiting to explode or loss of interest.

I'm feeling good.image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    Secondary market looks like an overall lack of interest, with the ANA examples being the exception.
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    I think, in fact I'm sure it's very hot coin - I want to buy the PF 70 PCGS image

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers

<< <i>I think, in fact I'm sure it's very hot coin - I want to buy the PF 70 PCGS image

image >>

Now that's what I call a delightful Buffalo Sandwich !!image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put this little set together last week.

.image[/URL]
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice Set ABOVE.image

I have set all raw. Fun to stack & touch.
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice Set ABOVE.image

I have set all raw. Fun to stack & touch. >>

Stack and touch raw coins????????? image

I suppose you flip'em in the air to!!!
  • JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice Set ABOVE.image

I have set all raw. Fun to stack & touch. >>

Stack and touch raw coins????????? image

I suppose you flip'em in the air to!!! >>

0.9999 Gold pretty much impervious to almost everything.

I handle them by the edge. They do have sharp edges.

I do not flip them.
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>0.9999 Gold pretty much impervious to almost everything. >>

...except circulation image

Erik

<< <i>

<< <i>0.9999 Gold pretty much impervious to almost everything. >>

...except circulation image

Erik >>

And a hammer!!! Accidently drop one on a hard surface and see how "impervious" they are. Even stacking them will give you at minimum, hairlines if not abrasions!
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice set Bullsitter

<< <i>Very nice set Bullsitter >>

• Wow my heart is almost on fire.
    Awesome set Bullsitter !!! I have the proof & reverse proof with the flag label.

I had a engraved two slab box made for the set. Thinking about getting the MS and making it

a true hattrick set like yours.image
    Thank you all very much, the proof is my submission, the other 2 I got on Ebay.

<< <i>

<< <i>I think, in fact I'm sure it's very hot coin - I want to buy the PF 70 PCGS image

image >>

Now that's what I call a delightful Buffalo Sandwich !!image >>

• bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    prices steady on the 70s.. small rise in raw price ..coin club bought 10 of the ANA 70s .. good supply is still out there
    +++ New Population Report +++
    Updated today. Total graded was up 480 from last week slowing down quite a bit. Only 58 non first strike coins were added. 399 first strike ones were graded. The percentage of 70 FS lowered a little to 67%, 69 FS at 32%.

• CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    That is still a good figure for the First Strike 70's considering the total mintage which is also LESS than half the total of the UHRs. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I opened my capsule because there was a little piece of dust/lint.
    It seems that I cannot close it properly anymore. Is there a trick or are the mint capsule always difficult to close (I assume they are closed by machines).

Any suggestion? I don't like my Buffalo to be loose, even if it moves just a little.

Thanks!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are tricky to open and close.

I've found that placing the coin first in the half of the capsule which fits into the other half is best so that the coin is not loose and able to be impacted by the smaller side of the capsule when it's sealed.

Then, I try to place the half which fits over the half with the rim (that the coin is in) over the half with the coin as level as possible. Then, I gently press the capsules together a bit at a time as I rotate the capsule in my hands so that it closes evenly.

This is simple, but harder to describe than I thought.

Happy to try to clarify if I can or to have others chime in.

I've done this many times w/o problem.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>They are tricky to open and close.

I've found that placing the coin first in the half of the capsule which fits into the other half is best so that the coin is not loose and able to be impacted by the smaller side of the capsule when it's sealed.

Then, I try to place the half which fits over the half with the rim (that the coin is in) over the half with the coin as level as possible. Then, I gently press the capsules together a bit at a time as I rotate the capsule in my hands so that it closes evenly.

I've done this many times w/o problem. >>

image Thank you! It worked!!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • I'm not so happy to report I contributed to to the growing population of 69s.

I ordered 6 from the Mint, returned 2 and submitted 4.

Out of 4 submitted got back 1 PR70 and 3 PR69 image

The net result is 25% with pre-screening.

I'm done submitting and from now on will just buy graded.

<< <i>I'm not so happy to report I contributed to to the growing population of 69s.

I ordered 6 from the Mint, returned 2 and submitted 4.

Out of 4 submitted got back 1 PR70 and 3 PR69 image

The net result is 25% with pre-screening.

I'm done submitting and from now on will just buy graded. >>

Welcome to the club. I got in on the deal from Modern Coin Mart and cancelled my mint order.

Saved all thoes headaches. I haved received too many undesirable coins from the mint.

One time order, prompt delivery, guarenteed 70 coin. Priceless. Thanks again to John & Andy at Modern Coin Mart.

Kudbegud, do you have the pop report on the regular (non-reverse) proof 2013 Gold Buff??

<< <i>Kudbegud, do you have the pop report on the regular (non-reverse) proof 2013 Gold Buff?? >>

There are 1,012 first strike PR70's and 465 first strike PR69's. It is already over last years 2012 PR70 FS population of 946.

The total mintage is still a couple of thousand less than last year but has plenty of time to go over that low mintage.
    Thanks HATTRICK.

<< <i>Kudbegud, do you have the pop report on the regular (non-reverse) proof 2013 Gold Buff?? >>

Here's the link to that page so you can look any time: LINKY
    Click on the little + sign to the left of the coin number (518205) to expand the listing to show both First Strike and non-First Strike population.

I wish PCGS would do a pop report on each specific First Strike label.

Flag label.
    Bison label.
    Black Diamond label.

How about it bulk submitters, any info to pass along....please?
    +++ Latest Population Update +++
    Reverse Proof Population updated today. The total graded is at 6,945 up only 352. Of these 352 the non First Strike total makes up the majority of the increase from last week with 239 of the 352. Next week should be about the last of the initial First Strike grading rush with the random sealed box submissions remaining after that

70 percentage remains high at 66.3%, 69 at 33.2% and the remainder 68 or lower. That single 65 First Strike being the lowest graded of any submitted.

Note the 70/69 percentages in the non First Strikes. 69 is more common at 63.2% vs 70 at 36.6%. Interesting don't you think?

<< <i>+++ Latest Population Update +++

Note the 70/69 percentages in the non First Strikes. 69 is more common at 63.2% vs 70 at 36.6%. Interesting don't you think?
    image >>

Good report !!

Yes, the low pops on the 70s is interesting.

<< <i>

<< <i>They are tricky to open and close.

I've done this many times w/o problem. >>

image Thank you! It worked!! >>

My pleasure. Happy to help.
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Note the 70/69 percentages in the non First Strikes. 69 is more common at 63.2% vs 70 at 36.6%. Interesting don't you think?"

Keep in mind, minimum grade 70 bulk deals likely skewed all the First Strike numbers to begin with (i.e. the 66.3% 70 rate is not a true assessment of the % of actual 70's). On top of that, coins that failed to grade 70 during the First Strike period could be resubmitted as non-FS coins as well (increasing the 69 rate for non-FS coins).

As always, just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    "Keep in mind, minimum grade 70 bulk deals likely skewed all the First Strike numbers to begin with (i.e. the 66.3% 70 rate is not a true assessment of the % of actual 70's). On top of that, coins that failed to grade 70 during the First Strike period could be resubmitted as non-FS coins as well (increasing the 69 rate for non-FS coins)."

I agree. The numbers are skewed. The only data available is the population of coins that were slabbed and graded with no reporting of the total submitted. The report could be much more valuable if the total submitted was reported to get a truer picture of grade distribution. And even then only submitted coins wcan be included in a population report. How many undiscovered 69 or 70 coins are out there of the 50k minted? I don't expect this "Total Submitted" data to happen.

I wonder how many of those rejected as below 70 or below 69 in the original bulk submissions were subsequently sold as "Raw" or "Ungraded" or with no descriptor at all? Selling in this manner could be considered as deceptive and borderline fraud. A little harsh I admit. But knowing the coin didn't make your minimum grade and selling with out disclosing this fact seems a little shady. Selling false hope when they know it isn't a 69 or 70 coin.

Does ethics dictate that those coins returned from a TPG ungraded because they didn't meet the minimum grade requested be described as such? In court wouldn't this be considered lying by omission? In real estate or home sales you have to disclose known facts or face repercussions. Is selling a used car without disclosing that it has had collision damage and a bent frame constitute fraud or at least dishonesty? If this missed minimum grade fact was disclosed, which coin would you buy?

Graded and slabbed at the higher price but certified condition;

Pure Raw, as received from the Mint with out inspection of any kind, sold "As Is", or as sealed in original Mint shipping material, at a sum-what lower price but a higher grade possible if submitted for grading;

Disclosed as rejected on first submission as below 70 or 69 at the lowest price. It would probably not be resubmitted for grading by the buyer knowing it had no chance of getting 69 or 70.

Kudbegud,

Good topic to start a new thread.
    You forgot one thing. You can find a grading company that will give you the high grade you seek. just becuase, in theiir opinion, it does not meet their standard for a "70" doesn't mean someone else won't.

<< <i>You forgot one thing. You can find a grading company that will give you the high grade you seek. just becuase, in theiir opinion, it does not meet their standard for a "70" doesn't mean someone else won't. >>

Thats another issue...grade shopping. Those who frequent this forum and most semi to fully serious collectors know which TPG companies are considered reliable and which are less so. Every body has their own opinion just like elbows. It's the expertise of who you trust with their grading opinion, and the industry consensus of those TPG's, that will determine value.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, this is not a science experiment anyway - there have been several (admittedly not strongly advanced) studies as to the reproducibility of "70s" when it comes to grading modern coins. I know the difference between 69 and 70 make a flipper's money, but for the rest of us not that big a difference.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • My slab has a 1/2" scratch or a hair of lint inside the holder, can I get PCGS to reholder it for free and pay only for shipping to send it back, will they cover shipping to send it back to me?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My slab has a 1/2" scratch or a hair of lint inside the holder, can I get PCGS to reholder it for free and pay only for shipping to send it back, will they cover shipping to send it back to me? >>

Scratches are no big deal.

If thereis something inside, call Pcgs and ask.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    The girl is a definite 70 :-)
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The girl is a definite 70 :-) >>

:2Bimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The girl is a definite 70 :-) >>

Proof that we have inflation since they used to be only 10's back in the 80's.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
    +++ POPULATION UPDATE +++
    The total graded went up just 174 if you compare the total for 520050 to last weeks total. FS totals went up just 34. non-FS increased 140. My prediction that by October 20th almost all first strike rush coins to be graded and reported appears to be coming true. Next week I will make a final post of the population report. I speculate new FS numbers will be under 20.
    The percentages continue the trend from last week with FS 70/69 at 66%/33%, non-FS 70/69 at 39%/60%.
    For easy reference here is last weeks report:

edited to correct my bad math image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file