Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

***The Official 2013 American Buffalo Reverse Proof(BV1) Thread***......Post your order numbers here

Comments

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Mint or somebody should make a box that would hold all three of the 2013 Buffalos in their original capsules. They would look pretty good together imo.
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint or somebody should make a box that would hold all three of the 2013 Buffalos in their original capsules. They would look pretty good together imo. >>

Just think, the Mint could gather up all the rejects that were sent back from all three issues and sell a 3-coin set!!!
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mint or somebody should make a box that would hold all three of the 2013 Buffalos in their original capsules. They would look pretty good together imo. >>

wait for it............................wait for it..................................... just annouced the mint is making a collectors edition 3 coin set. Release date TBD.

j/k
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Today is the cut-off date for the PCGS First Strike labels on the Reverse Proof Buffalo.

Any shipped after today.......NO FS for you !!!

I cancelled all my orders today. >>

The Mint dragged their feet for me and I did not make the fs deadline. But I think it is somewhat a relief. Now I can open the box and enjoy them without feeling I am burning money. >>

....also hope you don't get someone else's reject >>

I guess I will know when I see 'em. I could always return them if they were real losers and I still have a graded PCGS from a third party. >>

8/11 order from Mint is shipping - today - one day after FS cutoff. image
    On the plus side, the GM FS 70 $1905 with shipping has finally shipped!image
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of facets to shoot on this coin! No two pics will look the same.

imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>8/11 order from Mint is shipping - today - one day after FS cutoff. >>

Same here!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    Those are very nice photos, jmski52 !!!

When I find time I'm going to tackle the "beast". We're very busy at work now so it'll probably be around Thanksgiving or so....image
  • Options
    My replacement shipped the 18th, arriving today. I will hold in unopened box and take to the Long Beach show. PCGS told me I could open it in their presence and decide whether to submit it or not. I'll be checking for any nicks, lines, spots.

FWW (for what it's worth), mint CS told me via email that they had no plans to make any more of this product.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots of facets to shoot on this coin! No two pics will look the same.

imageimage >>

That's what I thought too... No two photos will be the same. I like the "BLACKOUT" cameo look.

Kimber's
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No action on this thread in two days. Wow.

Will this issue stagnate or appreciate? Not much talk of it lately.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    If this is a 1 year only issue I think they'll do well. I think the 70s with special labels will do well also. There are about 20,000 of these not eligible for FIRST STRIKE labels due to the erratic shipping on these, maybe more. (jmo)

I did try and take a few shots of mine w/o much success. I need one more light and lots more time.

.image[/URL]

.image[/URL]
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++++ POPULATION REPORT UPDATED ++++
    The new numbers are up. As deliveries from the mint get into customers hands and the end date for First Strike happened, the submissions for grading will peak. A bunch have chosen not to go for First Strike even though it was available to them. And more under 69 are showing up too.
    Of the First Strikes so far:
    75.7% are 70
    23.9% are 69
    0.3% are 68 or less
    Any guesses for the numbers in the future? Say the 10/20 update? This should give time to send them in for grading, go through the process and have the grades reported.
    Total 520051 First Strikes graded?
    Total 70's graded ?
    Total 69's graded ?
    Total 68 or lower graded ?
    Any less than 65 ?
    Total not going for First Strike?

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No action on this thread in two days. Wow.

Will this issue stagnate or appreciate? Not much talk of it lately. >>

prices have paused .. 2013 reverse coin available under 1800 raw, 69s under 1800,, 70s at 2100..ANAs topped out for now

No big demand for raw coin .. hovering near 1800
  • Options
    The graded 70's FS should hold if not increase in value after the first big wave of them sell. But if the raw coin is not perfect, it's going back to the Mint.
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>++++ POPULATION REPORT UPDATED ++++
    The new numbers are up. As deliveries from the mint get into customers hands and the end date for First Strike happened, the submissions for grading will peak. A bunch have chosen not to go for First Strike even though it was available to them. And more under 69 are showing up too.
    Of the First Strikes so far:
    75.7% are 70
    23.9% are 69
    0.3% are 68 or less
    Any guesses for the numbers in the future? Say the 10/20 update? This should give time to send them in for grading, go through the process and have the grades reported.
    Total 520051 First Strikes graded?
    Total 70's graded ?
    Total 69's graded ?
    Total 68 or lower graded ?
    Any less than 65 ?
    Total not going for First Strike? >>

I wanted to give an additional interpretation to the above statistics and these interpretations (probably) violate many statistical principles.

o The available population of Buffalo RPs right now is about 27,000. This is based upon the 27,000 ordered thru 8/13. My friend ordered on 8/14 and still shows a 9/27 ship date.

o This also means that the PCGS First Strike eligible population is 27,000 because the First Strike deadline (9/19) has now passed.

o The distribution at ATS is 68/69/70 = 8/353/943 for a total graded of 1304.

o This means that PCGS and ATS have graded (5473 + 1304 = 6,777) of the 27,000 or 25.1% of the available population.

o The current number of PR70s for PCGS + ATS = 3,940 + 943 = 4,883 PR70's or 18.1% of the total available population (all of which has not been submitted for grading).

o Many coins may not have been graded because they are in transit to PCGS/ATS; kept in OGP or sealed boxes; or self-selected/screen and not submitted for grading because no PR70.

Those more skilled in statistical analysis can probably comment further.

edited for calculation error of total graded population.
  • Options

<< <i>I wanted to give an additional interpretation to the above statistics and these interpretations (probably) violate many statistical principles.

o The available population of Buffalo RPs right now is about 27,000. This is based upon the 27,000 ordered thru 8/13. My friend ordered on 8/14 and still shows a 9/27 ship date.

o This also means that the PCGS First Strike eligible population is 27,000 because the First Strike deadline (9/19) has now passed.

o The distribution at ATS is 68/69/70 = 8/353/943 for a total graded of 1304.

o This means that PCGS and ATS have graded (6777+ 1304 = 8,081) of the 27,000 or 29.9% of the available population.

o The current number of PR70s for PCGS + ATS = 3,940 + 943 = 4,883 PR70's or 18.1% of the total available population (all of which has not been submitted for grading).

o Many coins may not have been graded because they are in transit to PCGS/ATS; kept in OGP or sealed boxes; or self-selected/screen and not submitted for grading because no PR70.

Those more skilled in statistical analysis can probably comment further. >>

Thanks for your better clarification of the statistics. Your analysis is appreciated. If you have a guess, what do you think the totals will be in the 10/20 report after the initial rush of grading is mostly done?
    Then throw in those graded across the street and by other TPG's (which we may never know for sure), what do you think the total graded will be as a percentage of those minted based on the un-audited last counter number?

• Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    Kudbegud

One would have to make some (dangerous) assumptions about the population and distribution of the number of coins to be submitted and the grading.
    I took a look at the 2009 UHR which was a very popular coin like the Buffalo RP and for PCGS, 8% were PR70 and 8% were PR69.

I don't have a visibility into the PCGS backlog or those coins in transit to PCGS and ATS.

But one could make assumptions and apply the same percentages to the total population of Buffalo RPs.

The Buffalo RP appears to be a very popular coin and the final numbers could change.
  • Options
    Well, my GM order was delivered yesterday. Considering it was placed the day before MCM, MCM won the timely delivery by a mile. Thanks guys!! Both orders were packaged very well (GM used a box this time rather than a bubble envelope like with the ASE set - BIG improvement) but MCM also included the plastic Mint capsule where GM did not.

Overall, I am happy with both companies but must say, MCM proved to be the place to buy when you want outstanding customer service and quality products delivered in a timely manner.

Thanks again John, Andy and rest of the team. Well done!
  • Options
    I'm certain that the population of 69 and below will keep increasing and the ratio 70/69 will keep dropping now that small fish like myself finally got their small orders from the Mint. With the small orders there are not many choices to pick from and therefore less screening take place. For example if people ordered just 1-2 coins they either submit them just for the chance of 70 but this will likely bring more 69- into pop report
  • Options
    bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    You can chalk me up as a "69"er. I bought one, sent it in, flamed out.

• Options

<< <i>You can chalk me up as a "69"er. I bought one, sent it in, flamed out. >>

A good old "69" an't all that bad!!! image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a week later and prices are steady.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Heads up for those who ordered after day 1, an RP from the freshly minted (and non FS) batch arrived yesterday and is not a reject!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm certain that the population of 69 and below will keep increasing and the ratio 70/69 will keep dropping now that small fish like myself finally got their small orders from the Mint. With the small orders there are not many choices to pick from and therefore less screening take place. For example if people ordered just 1-2 coins they either submit them just for the chance of 70 but this will likely bring more 69- into pop report >>

An interesting number that isn't reported is the bulk and individual coins submitted that were not graded and returned because the didn't make at least 69. If a total number submitted for grading was reported the overall 69 & 70 percentages would go way down. It will also be interesting to see the ratios of 70 to 69 to 68 and below on my suggested date of 10/20 when most of the rush to grade will have passed.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears from his online availability that John of MCM has moved a quantity of his Reverse Proofs over the last couple of days.
    No 70's available this morning and few 69's. Sudden interest or wholesale purchases?
    Maybe John could give us an update of the market for these coins?
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If this is a 1 year only issue I think they'll do well. I think the 70s with special labels will do well also. There are about 20,000 of these not eligible for FIRST STRIKE labels due to the erratic shipping on these, maybe more. (jmo)

I did try and take a few shots of mine w/o much success. I need one more light and lots more time.

.image[/URL]

.image[/URL] >>

Niceimage
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options

<< <i>It appears from his online availability that John of MCM has moved a quantity of his Reverse Proofs over the last couple of days.
    No 70's available this morning and few 69's. Sudden interest or wholesale purchases?
    Maybe John could give us an update of the market for these coins? >>

I bought the NGC 70 - amazing and now it's out of stock and I think to buy the PCGS 70 - I think it will be in stock soonimage
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It appears from his online availability that John of MCM has moved a quantity of his Reverse Proofs over the last couple of days.

It's a strange market.... The price we can wholesale 70's to dealer accounts for is just $50-$75 less than our retail price of $2249. You might say we should raise the retail price but they are not selling well at $2249 on eBay. In any case, I think just about everyone agrees they are worth $2200. +/- for now.

We are basically very close to being sold out at this point and focusing on other areas for the time being.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options

<< <i>

It's a strange market.... The price we can wholesale 70's to dealer accounts for is just $50-$75 less than our retail price of $2249. You might say we should raise the retail price but they are not selling well at $2249 on eBay. In any case, I think just about everyone agrees they are worth $2200. +/- for now.

We are basically very close to being sold out at this point and focusing on other areas for the time being.

John >>

Thanks for the insight John. Keep up the good work!image
    " If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When dealing with modern popular US Mint issues, the early bird normally catches the worm. If you purchased this coin for a fast flip, your window is closing quickly. MCM knows that, and is acting accordingly.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When dealing with modern popular US Mint issues, the early bird normally catches the worm. If you purchased this coin for a fast flip, your window is closing quickly. MCM knows that, and is acting accordingly. >>

Some of my "worms" are sealed in US Mint grade high-quality cardboard.

The other favorite "worm" is MCM high-quality plastic encapsulated.
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Hi everyone. I'm a newbey who started following this thread as soon as I placed my order into the mint for my Buffalo coin. Thanks for all the helpful insight I received.

Also, I got my coin back from PCGS today, and very happily surprised that it came back PR70. But the big shocker for me was when I decided to send my 2009 UHR along with it. I was on the fence about sending it because I like the mint presentation. But security wise I felt I should start slabbing coins for easier storage. Here's a picture of the 2 coins:
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do not attach photos

use a photo hosting service and the IMG code method of posting

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, druzski.
  • Options
    ARGGHHH Calvin, now I am stuck in space-suspense over what the UHR got graded!
  • Options

<< <i>

John >>

Mr. John : Before I mention the coin, I want to point your company in two words: professional and excellent !!! imageimage

The 2013 American Buffalo Reverse Proof 70 here - From the most beautiful in my opinion image

• Options

<< <i>Welcome, druzski.
    image >>

+1
  • Options
    Sorry everyone, very very new at this, and had to use my wife's photo sharing service...but hope this works now

• Options
    Very nice pics image

Awesome coins image
  • Options
    Nice photos druzski....and welcome

• Options

<< <i>image >>

I like this one the best for the detail and good overall exposure though the background can be a little distracting. You might want to crop a little to make the coin the central focus or subject of the photo. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice photos druzski....and welcome >>

And Congrats on your grades ! Home Run with the UHR !
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image >>

I like this one the best for the detail and good overall exposure though the background can be a little distracting. You might want to crop a little to make the coin the central focus or subject of the photo. Thanks for posting. >>

Thanksimage

This style of a bad photographer -

I'm not Todd lol - Todd #1
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry everyone, very very new at this, and had to use my wife's photo sharing service...but hope this works now

image >>

Wow! Way to score, welcome, and damn pretty renditions of two beauties.
  • Options
    ++++ NEWEST POPULATION REPORT ++++
    Still showing 70% coming back as 70's for FS. More or less equal 69/70 for non-FS.
    Last night I happened across Shopnbc Coin show and the first one up was NGC 69 and 70. They were asking pretty high at $2,890 and $2,990. These were not ANA labeled. What caught my ear was when he said there were only 1,300 possible at this high grade. Huh? Then he said NGC only graded 1,300 and I got it, NGC, but was curious. Just for fun I captured the NGC population report and here it is:
    You can see there is no report shown for non ANA Buffalo's, only ANA. So the presenter miss-spoke, at least miss-spoke. It looks like they are asking ANA prices for non-ANA coins. If your interested, here is the link to the Shopnbc page: Linky
    I also note that it appears that ALL the coins offered at the ANA show were graded and slabbed. 2,000 were reported brought to the show. 1,000 each on two days. By the population reports, slightly more than 2,000 were graded.

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update Kudbegud. image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " Wake up. They just shipped the coin !
  • Options

<< <i>When dealing with modern popular US Mint issues, the early bird normally catches the worm. If you purchased this coin for a fast flip, your window is closing quickly. MCM knows that, and is acting accordingly. >>

MayyyyyBeeeeeee!!!

People were claiming the same thing with the UHR and look what happened there (which I "flipped" way to early). On the other side of the coin, I bought the 2011 PCGS FS PR70 Buff at retail a few months after the FS deadline and doubled my money a littel over a year later. I am sure MCM is not depleting their stock. Then again, they are in the business to make fast gains, not investments (I am guessing) and may have sold ever last one they had graded.
  • Options
    Grades are in . . . . And I now own one of the "rare" Reverse Proof First Strike PR68 (only 10 exist, get 'me while you can!). At least it isn't the second to grade at PR65 image

I hit 50% PR70. . . A little lower than the 70% I'm reading is the average (and no, this wasn't a submission of two)

On the good side, it only took 9 days for grading (Regular submission)

Nooker
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting for mine, my ship date is now 15 October.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file