Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is BBCE finally drying up?

Comments

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    OK, since there were no answers to the question of the possibility of BBCE holding 70's stuff for the National. I say YES, Steve will have some nice 70's stuff for sale at the National, and this will be the perfect time to raise prices to reflect the current availability or should I say lack of availability.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well that's sorta relative don't you think? Stagnant money sorta stinks really bad compared to what a mutual fund(or for that matter bond or even savings account) has done since 1993. >>

Is this a joke? You might want to put your money in this if you are 77 years old and want a 1% return with zero down side to your investment. (Savings/CD)
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Well that's sorta relative don't you think? Stagnant money sorta stinks really bad compared to what a mutual fund(or for that matter bond or even savings account) has done since 1993. >>

Is this a joke? You might want to put your money in this if you are 77 years old and want a 1% return with zero down side to your investment. (Savings/CD) >>

Why would a 77 year old "invest" in anything?

A 77 year old's likelihood of kicking the bucket cant have an over under much more than 4-5 years.
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>This is absolutely crazy. A lot of this stuff is NOT that hard to find.

There are plenty of people who are sitting on nice stashes. About 2-3 months ago I picked up a couple nice 1981 Topps and a nice 1982 Topps vending cases (which I think ended up with Steve).. I have been talking to collections and his friends have friends with collections and it's crazy to think what kind of prices these boxes bring when there are hundreds of cases still available! >>

You're correct that early 1980s product is not that hard to find, and print runs in 1982 and 1983 were probably several times what we saw in 1981, which was probably double or more what we saw in 1980. However, people like me are getting sick of all the bad wax out there, which is pushing up the value of a BBCE sealed box, at least among people who understand there is a real issue out there (such as most of those on this forum). Finding BBCE-wrapped boxes is not that easy, unfortunately, which in part explains why they sell out so quickly.

Also, given that 1982 Topps wax boxes have hovered around $130-200 for the last 20 years, there isn't a lot of downside in my opinion. >>

Well that's sorta relative don't you think? Stagnant money sorta stinks really bad compared to what a mutual fund(or for that matter bond or even savings account) has done since 1993.

A few boxes each year...that's a collection. OCD issues to be sure, but nothing life impacting.

Cases upon cases....that's phsychological issues gone wild and the justifications don't really support it. >>

Well then...I am sure there is a really interesting savings bond or savings account message board that you could switch to and find more enjoyable than this one.

Take care. >>

Well, I dunno. I collect too...just not in a mad dash to pay top dollar because stuff dated 1981 and later might "dry up".

The difference is...I guess....I never refer to my collection in any way shape or form as an investment.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Well, I dunno. I collect too...just not in a mad dash to pay top dollar because stuff dated 1981 and later might "dry up".

The difference is...I guess....I never refer to my collection in any way shape or form as an investment. >>

I would suggest that you read, or re-read the content of this thread. I dont know of anyone who is proposing that one takes money from their 401 and reinvest it in 1982 cello. People here are collectors first and second. The thread is an open discussion about the extent to which there is truly a diminishing supply of older unopened cards from the 1970s and 1980s. Several of us, including myself, have been warning that 1970s unopened has been drying up. I have been consistent in this position for several years. We were right. Many of us now wish we had bought more heavily in 1970s stuff (including myself) before the current climate - but it is what it is. For example, my 1979 6 box rack cost me about 1K in 2007, today at 50.00 a pack it is over 7K? Even if you are willing to pay 10K where will you find this? I'm not interested in selling as are most of the collectors here. I dont think you will be seeing dozens of 1979 6 box racks floating on ebay even if the price went to 12K because they just dont exist anymore!
    Therefore, the really interesting discussion is on the 1980-85 unopened and whether this might also end up like the 1970s. I dont portend to have the final answer but I have made my bet, made it publically, and decided to buy now rather than wait around 5 years and then see. You seem to have an opposing view, the fun is in the pursuit of "knowing" isn't it? Let's chat in 5.

BTW I also have made it my rule not to disparage any other collector's purchase or selling decisions (other than those that are obviously unethical).
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well stated, Henry.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I think also in about 5000 years, 90's product will be cardboard gold. I'm loading up now! image
  • Options

<< <i>I think also in about 5000 years, 90's product will be cardboard gold. I'm loading up now! image >>

3000 max! I got enough 1987 DR to fill a swimming pool image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think also in about 5000 years, 90's product will be cardboard gold. I'm loading up now! image >>

3000 max! I got enough 1987 DR to fill a swimming pool image >>

I did too. I thought I was going to pay for college with my pile of Mike Greenwells. Loved that card!
  • Options
    thanks Tim,

Now here is my theory of why 1980-85 unopened may stay plentiful with no price appreciation. The main reason that years like 1978 and 1979 have become relatively expensive and rare compared to even 5 years ago can be directly linked to only a few individuals pursuing gem mint PSA collections on the registry. Understanding the burn rate one has to go through to find truly gem cards, it is not a stretch to say that people like Hatch or even BBG have single handedly created the pressure to eviscerate the unopened population in those years. In the 1975 mini world a group of 4-6 avid collectors have rooted through most of the Conlon hoard in a matter of a few years. Therefore, there are two conditions in which the supply of 1980-85 will remain higher than demand.

1. Unless there is a need to accelerate the breaking of boxes and cases to complete high end registry sets the supply will remain relatively intact with no accompanying spike in demand. I am a bit suspect here as I dont necessarily foresee collectors avidly trying to build gem-mint 1982 topps sets for example. So bearish...

2. If the conversation rate of cards is significantly higher for 1980s unopened than 1970s unopened then one can create a high end set using significantly less unopened. So bullish 1980-81 and bearish 1982-85

On those two dimensions I see much more potential for 1980 and 1981 than 1982 through 1985. The later years are more closely aligned to particular rookies than set builders. 1980 and 1981 might look more like 1970s because the conversation rate is just as bad (especially centering and soft corners on 1981 and centering on 1980) and at present more people seem interested in building a set...however, again this might change in the future and that is the fun not knowing!

I am still wedded to the 1970s but have been buying with the thought that what the hell else am I going to do in 20 years when I am retired? I'll enjoy my golden years watching the Tigers on TV, saying for the 1,000,000th time how Leyland was a horrible in game manager even 15 years after his death, and breaking a few boxes here and there from my youth.
  • Options

<< <i>I am still wedded to the 1970s but have been buying with the thought that what the hell else am I going to do in 20 years when I am retired? I'll enjoy my golden years watching the Tigers on TV, saying for the 1,000,000th time how Leyland was a horrible in game manager even 15 years after his death, and breaking a few boxes here and there from my youth. >>

As it should be.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options

<< <i>A 77 year old's likelihood of kicking the bucket cant have an over under much more than 4-5 years. >>

I'm going to guess you're not in the actuarial or gambling business in any capacity. For people who do take bets on this, they set the odds at 9.7 years for men, 11.5 for women.
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭
    where IS all the '85 Topps unopened? a price correction certainly needs to be made, as in it needs to be cheaper, as the two main cards are far from popular anymore.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>where IS all the '85 Topps unopened? a price correction certainly needs to be made, as in it needs to be cheaper, as the two main cards are far from popular anymore. >>

Until people quit buying them, the prices will never drop.

The best thing to ever happen to the unopened market was the PSA set registry. I'm sure there are a handful of collectors out there trying for the number 1 1985 Topps set. They'll keep buying cases hoping to find those GEM MT Denny Walling and Steve Sax cards.

• Options
    Just wanted to be post # 700 on my thread is all image
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK, since there were no answers to the question of the possibility of BBCE holding 70's stuff for the National. I say YES, Steve will have some nice 70's stuff for sale at the National, and this will be the perfect time to raise prices to reflect the current availability or should I say lack of availability. >>

So if you are correct then I suppose the 1972 box going tonight at the MH auction is the last vintage unopened we should expect to see on the market before National?

Dave
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Marc. This thread's got some serious legs.
    Daniel
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a veritable downpour this week. More case freshness in the form of '84 rack boxes...
  • Options

<< <i>It's a veritable downpour this week. More case freshness in the form of '84 rack boxes... >>

Yeah, last week the 80's had 99 items, today it is up to 123 items.
  • Options
    WOOO HOOOO!!!!
  • Options
    That sure as hell didn't take long. Come strong or stay at home, fellas.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That sure as hell didn't take long. Come strong or stay at home, fellas. >>

Hey Stephen, I just woke up. My neck is a little stiff from that 1974 wax box, but otherwise things are good.

Wow, those 1984 rack boxes went fast. I wonder if it was from a 3 box or 6 box case?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    wow, those 86 Rack Cases went fast as well!!!
  • Options
    Wow. those 81 Vending boxes went fast!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. those 81 Vending boxes went fast!!! >>

thats old news already! LOL
  • Options
    im more impressed about the 86 Rack cases selling out at $75/$150 respectively
  • Options

<< <i>im more impressed about the 86 Rack cases selling out at $75/$150 respectively >>

I guess when the_dugout_unopened_wax is selling a 6-box opened case for $200 on ebay, those prices are very reasonable. (incidentally, I did not see BBCE had cases of them).
  • Options
    thats true.

and the 84 & 86 Rack Cases were not on there very long today
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I missed those 86s. I would have liked one of those cases. Maybe next time.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That sure as hell didn't take long. Come strong or stay at home, fellas. >>

Hey Stephen, I just woke up. My neck is a little stiff from that 1974 wax box, but otherwise things are good.

Wow, those 1984 rack boxes went fast. I wonder if it was from a 3 box or 6 box case? >>

I needed that chuckle, brother!

To answer your question, I honestly have no idea. Things are such a blur nowadays, and quite frankly it's now bordering on uncanny. Can't tell you how many times I've recently gone to that page, refreshed, and the numbers have instantly changed.
  • Options
    I'm done posting here! image went to bed last night, it is now 4am here in China, woke up to check email - and I am reading about cases coming and going overnight. I was obviously way too slow on the 1981 topps vending...sheeesh
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The stashes like moondog's - seldom come to market. Yes, there is a lot of unopened early '80s out there, but if it's not being offered for sale, it's of no use to someone wanting to buy now.

BTW, '82 and '83 are strong for player collectors on the registry, because most stars had an In Action ('82) and a Super Veteran ('83) to go with their regular cards, and many of them also had All-Star cards those years.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I saw the 86 cases, but didn't see the 84's. How much were the 84 racks listed for?
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. I saw the 86 cases, but didn't see the 84's. How much were the 84 racks listed for? >>

Correction: the 84's were case fresh boxes @95
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems to me that Steve really needs to increase his prices.

Robb
  • Options
    Adieu 72 box!
  • Options

<< <i>

Wow, those 1984 rack boxes went fast. I wonder if it was from a 3 box or 6 box case? >>

Just woke up?? Boy, you cpa guys got it made! LOL!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Just magically appeared - a 1986 Topps Baseball wax box for $16
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    I hope you people realize that you are increasing the prices you pay on this stuff with this thread. Steve is very honest and a wonderful seller, but he's also a businessman. He knows that this thread exists and he knows that he can now hold back certain things and raise prices because people are "clamoring" and are obviously willing to pay more for mid-to-early '80s stuff that isn't all that hard to find, just because it's "not on his site". He has a giant finger on this market and no matter what he or anyone says, he will use this form of hysteria to his advantage.
  • Options

<< <i>I hope you people realize that you are increasing the prices you pay on this stuff with this thread. Steve is very honest and a wonderful seller, but he's also a businessman. He knows that this thread exists and he knows that he can now hold back certain things and raise prices because people are "clamoring" and are obviously willing to pay more for mid-to-early '80s stuff that isn't all that hard to find, just because it's "not on his site". He has a giant finger on this market and no matter what he or anyone says, he will use this form of hysteria to his advantage. >>

The only thing harder than getting a card collector to keep his mouth shut is to keep Aroid away from PED
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Yeah, last week the 80's had 99 items, today it is up to 123 items. >>

It's a good thing websites can't file restraining orders, because I'm sure more than a few of us would be incarcerated for stalking by now. image

Snorto~
  • Options
    spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    I just don't understand the prices going for this 80s stuff. If you are willing to overpay for this stuff now, why not purchase from Fritsch and wait a year and you will get a nice profit. A scant few months ago, a 1973 wax box was 2100.00 and now they will sell on ebay for 3000.00 and up and
    its a nice box to own. He has 1978 topps football cello boxes for 600.00. In my opinion I would rather have that box which I know is legit as unopened.
    Off topic a bit, Has anyone noticed a spike in unopened non sport boxes? I believe there are a few out there that are more scarce and would make a good psa graded set. I would say anything like Good Times, Happy Days, Kotter or Mash may be a sleeper in the future. I am starting to check out some of this stuff as it is fun and nostalgic.
  • Options
    Fritsch's prices (and inventory) will often change when you call. The listed prices are hust a baseline in many cases. I think Steve actually prices his inventory very appealingly as evidenced by how quickly much of it moves on his site.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just don't understand the prices going for this 80s stuff. If you are willing to overpay for this stuff now, why not purchase from Fritsch and wait a year and you will get a nice profit. A scant few months ago, a 1973 wax box was 2100.00 and now they will sell on ebay for 3000.00 and up and >>

That is the problem is that you don't understand.
    1. Collectors enjoy opening and buying "quality" unopened material which is hard to find. If it was easy the prices of unopened material would be going down.
    2. Unopened boxes that are guaranteed unsearched are not showing up on Ebay.
    3. there is a big difference in availiabliity for an unopened box of 1979 Topps vs. 1986 Topps. You see 1986 Topps all over Ebay.
    4. How do you figure that collectors are overpaying for this stuff. Please show examples of this to prove your theory.

The thread that was started by Foo3112 is the question in discussion. Is BBCE finally drying up? The answer is absolutely yes. Steve can't keep up with the demand thus his inventory is bare. Now this thread has branched out to a couple of other great questions that is really hard to gauge. Truthfully only Steve Hart can really be the only voice on this because he sees it from behind the scene. If Steve is having a difficult time stocking these products for his business answers this question.
    Is the unopened material in the 70's drying up? Yes, I believe it has and I do believe there are collectors out there who have a box or two sitting in their closets. The next question would be is the 1980's material drying up? My belief is no and that there are MANY cases still left in storage facilites across the US and in the homes of collectors. The reason that the 1980's unopened material is going up in price is because of the supply and demand. Collectors find a value in buyng a box of 1984 Topps Baseball at $100. Heck today you can barely buy a box of 2013 Topps Heritage for that price.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>where IS all the '85 Topps unopened? a price correction certainly needs to be made, as in it needs to be cheaper, as the two main cards are far from popular anymore. >>

Until people quit buying them, the prices will never drop.

The best thing to ever happen to the unopened market was the PSA set registry. I'm sure there are a handful of collectors out there trying for the number 1 1985 Topps set. They'll keep buying cases hoping to find those GEM MT Denny Walling and Steve Sax cards. >>

Bingo! The market has become such that you have very wealthy collectors competing on the PSA Registry for the highest rating of these otherwise very unappealing sets. So these guys are opening cases of 1985 and 1986 topps like they are wonka bars not looking for Clemens or Puckett, but a Gem Mint Steve Sax like it's the golden ticket into the Chocolate Factory.
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If BBCE is drying up, then CU is the sponge.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a box of 75 minis or 76 Topps?
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Got me a 85 Topps rack case today.

It will stay sealed image

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got me a 85 Topps rack case today.

It will stay sealed image >>

Topps???

j/k image
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Got me a 85 Topps rack case today.

It will stay sealed image >>

Topps???

j/k image >>

Its a little better than 88 Topps
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook