Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    Scans attached.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that PSA 5 kills me... it has to be a surface crease.
  • Options
    Jeff,
    I think you are correct. Here are 2 more of the 82T PSA 5. The scan washed out the rough edge that is visible in the camera phone image and there are 2 small surface wrinkles on either side of Cal's shoulder visible in the second image.

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    2 more Ripken Aqueous Test cards on eBay right now
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭
    Did you win the 92 Donruss Super?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Got an 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test for sale on BST thread.

Cal Ripken, Jr. 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test PSA 7

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Got an 1990 Donruss Aqueous Test for sale on BST thread.

Kevin >>

Nice, what did your new one grade?
  • Options

<< <i>

Kevin >>

Nice, what did your new one grade? >>

PSA 8
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Kevin >>

Nice, what did your new one grade? >>

PSA 8 >>

Nice, I really wanted to pick up the last one that was up for auction, looked like it had a shot at a 9 at least. I bought the Andy Van Slyke from him and I think it has a shot at a 9 or 10. The last batch he had were in great condition!
  • Options
    I bought a couple Billy Ripken 1990 Donruss Aqueous and they both got PSA 9s.

Kevin
  • Options
    The person who is ranked #11 in the Ripken Basic Set (The Johnson Collection) has his entire set listed on ebay. I wish he would have listed them separately because I need one of his 10s.
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    send him a message, maybe he will break out the one you need ???
    do you have a 9 to trade ??

always worth a try
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    I do have a 9 to trade but I'm guessing he wouldn't want to trade since he's selling. I want the 1995 Bowman.
  • Options
    This card is going ape: 1994 Finest Superstar Sampler #235 Cal Ripken. It's the first SS Ripken that's hit ebay in the past year (not including the PSA 10 that's out there for an overblown BIN). Don't get me wrong, I understand that method of listing a card for an astronomical BIN with OBO, but it's not a realistic price until someone buys it for that price.

I've been chasing this Ripken trio ever since Kevin and Don posted about their unopened packs on this thread (last year). I have purchased about a dozen sealed sets (never spent more than $25 per set) chasing this white whale. It's a safe buy at that price, because I've more than recouped my money by reselling the set as opened, and grading the Superstar Samplers and some of the other inserts as graded (like the Pre-Production Spectralite Griffey in PSA 10).

As I continue to chase these cards, I've learned that these "Baker's Dozen" sets were distributed in cases, and the Superstar Sampler player stays the same throughout each case. So if you open a case and the first set reveals a Ripken Superstar Sampler pack, then EVERY set in that case has a Ripken Superstar Sampler pack. Not sure if this is fact, but it's what I read.

Anyway, I would love to own a pack, or at least all three cards in PSA 10. image

BTW: For those of you watching this card, I'm sorry to blab about it before it's over. Once it passed my spending limit, I had to open my fat mouth. lol

• Options
    I have 2 each of the 1994 Bowman and 1994 Stadium Club that will hit eBay at some point. I would say they are in NRMT-MT condition.

Kevin
  • Options
    Hammered at $114.94... wow.
  • Options
    Just got the latest submission in. POP'd 2 1988 Topps PSA 10's!!! (and an extra 1995 Topps PSA 10) I started the Basic Topps set last May and have finally closed it out in 10's. I'm pretty pumped. Thanks especially to Jeff for your advice. This was harder than I initially thought, and I have a deeper respect for the difficulty (and expense) of the ridiculous Basic and Master sets that many of you have put together. Think I might work on the Basic set next...

Josh
  • Options
    That's great to hear Josh, way to go!! Good luck with the Basic Set, it's even more "fun" than the Basic Topps Set! image
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Congrats on finishing the set....go for the Basic Set next. A very nice challenge and much harder that most would think.

I have a few Ripkens for sale cheap or trade if anyone is interested:

1985 OPC #30 PSA 8
    1983 Topps #163 PSA 9
    1996 SP #187 PSA 10
  • Options
    cal ripken jr 1994 superstar samplers stadium club and finest psa 9 each listed on bonanza.com
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    I recently graded some 88 Star Ripkens and noticed there is only one listed in the registry. I saw similar for the NOVA star sets. Is this normal to skip cards in a master set registry?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>cal ripken jr 1994 superstar samplers stadium club and finest psa 9 each listed on bonanza.com >>

That's just crazy talk... lol

$1999
    $2500
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>cal ripken jr 1994 superstar samplers stadium club and finest psa 9 each listed on bonanza.com >>

That's just crazy talk... lol

$1999
    $2500 >>

Thats what I thought when I looked them up also.
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options

<< <i>Hammered at $114.94... wow. >>

Crazy high for an ungraded single. I bought my whole 3 card set for less than half that price
  • Options
    Interest has peaked I suppose.
  • Options
    ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    Those PSA 1/1s on Bonanza are just too much money for a Ripken card in my eyes. I'm a huge fan, but that's Ty Cobb T206 kind of dollars. This is why I'll never have a complete master set, no matter how long I collect Cal cards.
    I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    You may be familiar with the 1996 pinnacle fanfest card that was distributed at the 1996 all-star game show in philadelphia. This is similar but a like a playing card. At the all-star game show, they had a big enclosed steel cage. Kind of like a dog cage or a fence or like a cage in a wrestling match. Inside this cage, were some pinnacle employees. There job that weekend was to build big houses out of these cards. It was actually a pretty impressive sight to see. They really made some elaborate structures that were pretty high. Kind of like sand castles on the beach. When the houses got really huge, they would collapse. Every now and then, a few of these playing cards spilled on the floor outside the cage, near the cage close enough to pick up. Well, that is the only way these were ever obtained. The cards have show up periodically but were never released to the public in anyway. The back of the card has the pinnacle logo.

Pics coming soon.......
    Obviously of the Ripken.
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options

These could be some of the rarest 90's cards out there.
    Anyone else have any of these?
    My Cal Ripken Collection
    Ripken
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>PSA 10 image >>

Dooood... your PSA 9 sold for $224.99??? NICE!! The Pop 2 PSA 10 should go ape! Congrats!!
  • Options

<< <i>PSA 10 image >>

I'm guessing that will go for over $1,000
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PSA 10 image >>

Dooood... your PSA 9 sold for $224.99??? NICE!! The Pop 2 PSA 10 should go ape! Congrats!! >>

I popped both PSA 10's

I already sold 1 offline. This Panel should do very well. I have spoken to a couple people on these boards about it already but funds look to be tight at the momont.
    These just came in today! Ryan was a pop 0 for PSA 10's til yesterday. I got 2 PSA 10s! Got 1 PSA 9 and 1 PSA 10 on the Ripken

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    That's just insane... what do you use to cut them with? It's hard enough to get the cuts right, it's another thing to find box panels with good surfaces. Nice job man.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Holy moley
  • Options

<< <i>That's just insane... what do you use to cut them with? It's hard enough to get the cuts right, it's another thing to find box panels with good surfaces. Nice job man. >>

I went out and bought a very expensive cutter. You are right, the surface on these can be very difficult!

I know this is not the buy,sell,trade board but figured since there are so many Ripken collectors here,
    I would let you know that the Ripken and Ryan 10 are available. Only 1 of each available. I also have 1 full panel PSA 9 left

You can PM me or call me at 774-573-1731

Tom
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PSA 10 image >>

I'm guessing that will go for over $1,000 >>

Ending tonight!!!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    The last time i checked it was the most watched Ripken item in EBay. Good luck!
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I bid on it just so I could get "sorry you didn't win.." email. I want to see the final price. Those box bottoms in 10s are so darn cool
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>PSA 10 image >>

I'm guessing that will go for over $1,000 >>

Ending tonight!!! >>

Wow, $641! Have to be happy with that! I honestly thought the Ripken and Ryan collectors would bump it up more, but still a great price!
  • Options
    WOW, the 1994 Bowman Superstar Sampler and the 1994 Stadium Club Superstar Sampler sold for $135 EACH!! Very good to them go for this much! Congrats!

In case these ebay links look weird to you, I had to change the .com to .ca so I could see what they sold for. image
  • Options

<< <i>WOW, the 1994 Bowman Superstar Sampler and the 1994 Stadium Club Superstar Sampler sold for $135 EACH!! Very good to them go for this much! Congrats!

In case these ebay links look weird to you, I had to change the .com to .ca so I could see what they sold for. image >>

Wow, I really can't believe people are paying that much for un-graded copies of these... image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a question from the Ripken aficionados.

What's a good price to pay for a PSA 9 82T traded Ripken? Well centered.
    Mike
  • Options
    ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    VCP is currently around 180 for a PSA 9

<< <i>Got a question from the Ripken aficionados.

What's a good price to pay for a PSA 9 82T traded Ripken? Well centered. >>

I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>VCP is currently around 180 for a PSA 9

<< <i>Got a question from the Ripken aficionados.

What's a good price to pay for a PSA 9 82T traded Ripken? Well centered. >>

>>

Thanx!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>WOW, the 1994 Bowman Superstar Sampler and the 1994 Stadium Club Superstar Sampler sold for $135 EACH!! Very good to them go for this much! Congrats!

In case these ebay links look weird to you, I had to change the .com to .ca so I could see what they sold for. image >>

Odd, those two cards are back up for sale. I wonder if the buyer didn't pay. Oddly enough, the starting dates remain the same (March 19).
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    The buyer paid. I have 2 of each. I had a couple of 30 day BIN that didn't have any action in terms of watchers, so I replaced them with these cards.

Kevin
  • Options
    Ahhh, makes sense... great cards!!
  • Options
    So what's your opinion on this? 1993 U.S. PLAYING CARD ACES AUTOGRAPH PSA/DNA

Is this the same card that was mentioned a couple years ago or is this a new one? I can't seem to find any scans of the old one. Also, why would they give it a blue slab? Something tells me this isn't actually the pack-pulled version, but instead it's just a card that was signed in-person and being touted as the pack-pulled version. Thoughts?

imageimage

• Options

<< <i>So what's your opinion on this? 1993 U.S. PLAYING CARD ACES AUTOGRAPH PSA/DNA

Is this the same card that was mentioned a couple years ago or is this a new one? I can't seem to find any scans of the old one. Also, why would they give it a blue slab? Something tells me this isn't actually the pack-pulled version, but instead it's just a card that was signed in-person and being touted as the pack-pulled version. Thoughts?

>>

According to Kevin's awesome blog post, that one is authentic. The cropping of the "D" in "WILD" and signature style and placements are key. He actually has an image of that card in the post as well:

Link

Great post Kevin, super informative! You're post on esaslo was also very well done, sad story image