Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    Hey all new to the forum, big Ripken collector!

Got a question for all your Ripken collectors out there! Just wanna hear everyone's opinion. I'm a big Ripken collector only of PSA, I mostly do collect 10's or at least try to. With looking at the population numbers, they have grown tremendously in the last 5 years. So my real question is it worth collecting 10's on all cards or just stick to the 9's. Some cards you really do pay a bit more to get a 10 as opposed to a 9 and in some cases the 9's look just as good if not better lol. My only worry is in another 10 years with the numbers increasing how they have been will they hold there values? Just like to hear what people think!

Thanks.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    If it's for your PC, collect the condition you want and can afford. If they are to flip at some point in time, well that's a gamble due to the increasing number of PSA 10s that could eventually pop; therefore increasing the number 10s in the pool, which usually drives the price down. The PSA 10s' will most likely always bring a higher flip price than a PSA 9 of the same card. JMHO.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Ripkenfan126!

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I started out mostly connecting 9s. It was very affordable and allowed me to obtain several hundred graded Ripkens easily. If you are comfortable with this, that is fine. With Ripken being such a huge draw among collectors, I've found the prices for 10s has actually gone up a bit. It only takes 2 collectors going for the same card to drive the price. Although the pop has gone up, it hasn't gone up at the same rate of Ripken collectors seeking 10s. If you go ALL 10, you may lose money in the long run, but if a 10's what you want, I don't think the price lost is that severe compared to the enjoyment you may get from the cards or the chase for that matter. I have switched a majority of cards over to ten slowly and don't regret the decision. It's like going to Vegas. I do this with discretionary money and plan to lose in the long run. If $200 on a blackjack table stretches to a run for several hours. I may lose the 200, but I've gotten the hours of enjoyment, several complimentary beverages, etc. With Ripken, I may one day lose some of my investment, but I get to recollect on my times pretending to be Cal as a kid and enjoy the chase of getting and losing out on the cards I need for years. I may just have the 9 on some cards, but who cares....I'm still In the game hunting.
    I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • Options
    Thanks for your thoughts!

On a side note have you Guys seen the 1996 summit JeterRipken artist proof up now? I knew it would sell but I'm surprised its gotten that high! Beautiful card though!!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for your thoughts!

On a side note have you Guys seen the 1996 summit JeterRipken artist proof up now? I knew it would sell but I'm surprised its gotten that high! Beautiful card though!! >>

Not too surprised by this price, mainly because you would have both Ripken AND Jeter collectors competing for this card. It's great to see that collectors are still alive and well!
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Here an interesting situation...

I found this item on eBay:
    Cal Ripken, Jr. PSA 10

I was interested in the card, but noticed the exact same card was sold by PWCC on August 11.

So, I sent this message to the seller:

===========================
    Dear cobrown2006,

Since you just bought this from PWCC, why are you selling it? Was there a condition issue?

Thanks,
    Kevin

- mystorageshed

And here is his very childish response:

Dear mystorageshed,

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!

- cobrown2006

So, what do you think? Is he a disgruntled buyer, a disgruntled consignee who shilled his own auction, or just a plain jerk?

Notice on the PWCC auction the card image is taken against a black background highlighting a white corner. His auction very much hides that in the image.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    Me thinks it's option #3. Sounds like a jerk, from his item description to his feedback left for others.

EDIT TO ADD: I doubt there's anything wrong with the card, I'm willing to bet he's just trying to flip it since it's a Pop 2 Ripken card. He's going about it all wrong, in my opinion, but what do I know? image
  • Options
    Seems like a smart idea. Buy a card from the guys that tend to get the most for PSA cards on eBay and then try to flip it. Sounds like a money making proposition. Perhaps Probstein would like to wholesale to him. image

Kevin
  • Options
    That's what I mean, he should have listed it as a higher BIN with OBO. Sometimes auctions slip through the cracks, even with the biggest consignors. I recently quadrupled my money by flipping something I bought from PWCC. Don't get me wrong, that is RARE, but it can happen.
  • Options
    Apparently he thought I was the seller he purchased from and he didn't have a good experience. That was the reason for the comment. He sent me an email and apologized. I've had good experiences with PWCC.

Kevin
  • Options
    I saw that also, he listed the card with a BIN price of 30$ but he just spent 32.50$ on it last week or so. If he was trying to flip it I would of thought he would of listed it for a higher BIN. That does seem kinda weird. At least he apologized... Maybe a bad experience... Idk I've never had a problem with PWCC

Barry
  • Options
    Here's a fake 1980 Charlotte O's Ripken for sale:

Cal Ripken Jr. 1980 Charlotte O's W3TV rc

Spotting a counterfeit

Perhaps if multiple people report this auction, maybe someone won't get ripped off.
  • Options
    Horrible... I reported it also.
  • Options
    If eBay doesn't take that auction down with the link I provided them to the "Spotting Counterfeits" article specifically mentioning GEM graded fakes, they might as well remove the reporting feature from their auction pages.

Kevin
  • Options
    Actually I would pay $20 for it just to have it. It's an interesting, although worthless, novelty item. If it were labeled as a fake, I actually wouldn't have an issue with it.

Kevin
  • Options
    I couldn't open that link but what makes that so obvious it's a fake?
  • Options
    Read this:

Fake GEM Graded Ripken Minor League Cards

It is specifically about this card. Every one of the things that the article outlines for a fake this card has. Plus this card is in flawless shape which is unheard of for this issue.

Kevin
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    I always thought GEM was Gary Mosher?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    What do people think of the seller's amended description?

eBay auction
  • Options
    In my opinion I think the seller has done enough to explain that this card "might" not be authentic, although I don't like that he is still selling it as authentic. It's obviously still fake and I think it should be destroyed. Nothing good could ever come from a card like this.
  • Options
    That was my thought as well. I think he is still not owning his mistake in purchasing it and it will be passed on to someone else who may attempt to get it authenticated at a more reputable grading company or who may crack it and sell it raw. It should be destroyed or a least marked "REPRINT". In all honesty, if someone created a nice 1980 Orange reprint I would probably buy it, since I will likely never have the original. There is a place in the hobby for reprints, but not like this.
  • Options
    Just curious to know how many of you are on the Cal Ripken PSA Registry and what your name on the registry is. I am under Barry Jr.
    I enjoy chatting and getting other peoples opinions on the registry. Also what is your favorite set to collect?
  • Options
    have been scanning all my cal ripken jr psa cards. i really didn't know how much work it was. i am still scanning today. found over 10 mislabel cards. also found some cards i forgot to add to the master set. i have listed my extra psa cards in the comment box. will trade for something i need. also found cards in the registry placed in the wrong years. how do these guys make so many mistakes? anybody wants to trade let me know
  • Options
    What happened to the composite? Jeff you retired your sets? Madness!!??!!??!!
  • Options
    What the? I didn't retire my sets at all! Something's up, I'll have to figure this out...
  • Options
    I just emailed Cosetta Robbins to see if she can un-retire it. All I did today was I deleted three cards that I no longer own. None of those cards were associated with this set. How odd... thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    ...and I did all of this while holding my sleeping baby daughter. Life is good! image
  • Options
    Fixed! Cosetta is awesome, as always!
  • Options
    Probably those damn Target hackers. Glad you got it fixed.
  • Options
    Check it out... it's the ever-elusive BLACK AUTO version of the 1992 Donruss Elite. I wonder if this was the one that had a severely faded signature that sold for cheap. I'm assuming someone bought it and re-traced the signature. They probably should have done a little research on the color of the original signature.

• Options
    What is with these Ripken minor league issues, particularly the blue border Charlotte card? The prices just keep going up. Currently a PSA 5 is at $5200 with a day to go. Just 2.5 years ago this was a $1000 card. What's the deal? How high are these going to get to? Is the market going to collapse on these? What does everyone think? Are there that many new Ripken collectors hitting the market? I can understand the insane prices for the Orange, but the blue border?
  • Options
    You can read about it at www.ripkenintheminors.com.

Long story short, there were only about 1,400 sets produced, and they were given to kids 14 and under. Who knows how many made it out alive.
  • Options

<< <i>You can read about it at www.ripkenintheminors.com.

Long story short, there were only about 1,400 sets produced, and they were given to kids 14 and under. Who knows how many made it out alive. >>

Still can't get over it

1980 WBTV PSA 5
  • Options
    Is anybody familiar or have a picture of what the 1984-1991 O'connell and son ink mini prints are?
    There are 2 of them on his master registry list. I've just never seen or heard of them.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Here is a complete set of them, with Ripken shown in the scan.

Here is a different one that sold:

• Options
    I've never even heard of these before... interesting!
  • Options
    Thanks Jeff, looks like that one lot just recently sold.
    I have never seen them before. I've searched on eBay but never
    Put the space between o and Connell so I had never found anything.

• Options
    Wow... how would you like to finally pull a Ripken Auto out of a pack of 1992 Donruss, just to find out that the pack sealing machine ruined the bottom of the card... brutal.

• Options
    That's a heartbreaker right there. Did that happen to you?
  • Options
    Heck no, that's not my Ripken... although I did recently bust open an entire case of this stuff, it yielded jack squat for Elite cards.

I just do a search for these from time to time, and noticed the bottom of this one. Nasty.
  • Options
    Time to time I check out the pop reports on different Ripken cards.
    Anybody else notice the 85 topps went from mid 20's to 33 this week. Somebody must have gotten lucky. I remember one sold for over 300 in the last year now there down to the mid 100's
  • Options
    I noticed that as well... I wanted to jump on a couple of the 10s being sold on ebay in the $170's just to flip a profit, but then decided against it once I noticed the Pop Report. Still an insanely difficult 10 to get, but it won't see the $300 neighborhood again for a while.
  • Options
    How tough are the 95 Pinnacle Pin Cards? The one with the picture of the pin and player shot.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Can you put up a picture of it?
  • Options
    Jeff - with those 2 85 topps that sold both had the orange line on the pants. I know mine does also. I don't know if I have seen a 10 without that line.
  • Options
    My 10 has no orange line, but I haven't seen another one for sale for a long time.
  • Options

<< <i>Can you put up a picture of it? >>

Sorry here is the card.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    *chirp chirp*
  • Options
    I know, right? lol

I finally purchased a 1982 Fleer in PSA 10 not too long ago, so that's news! Also, I'm about to finally finish a Ripken project that I've been working on since 2011... if I can ever get my 1-year-old to give me a free afternoon. image
  • Options
    I was thinking the same. I've slowed down a bit lately. I think we're all too Ripken like with our collection building, just putting our head down and going to work. I did pick up a 82 Cello with Ripken on top recently.