Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    An amazing set of a very worthy subject.
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Will PSA grade this??

"A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    There haven't been any cards like this graded yet, but I don't see why they wouldn't grade it just like any other thicker jersey card. It would likely be placed in a thicker pack slab though.
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Anyone here win the 1990 Donruss Aqeuous that sold recently?
  • Options
    Not I... wow are all of these authentic you think? There is some serious money being spent on these things. Did you see that Ryan? Wow!
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone here win the 1990 Donruss Aqeuous that sold recently? >>

I won the 1990 Donruss Aqueous Ripken.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Not I... wow are all of these authentic you think? There is some serious money being spent on these things. Did you see that Ryan? Wow! >>

Yeah they all look to be authentic, he had a bunch of Blue/White test ones as well
  • Options

<< <i>I won the 1990 Donruss Aqueous Ripken.

Kevin >>

Nice! Looks to be a steal compared to what some of the other players are selling for... Puckett's are getting up there!

Are you going to get that one graded as well?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice! Looks to be a steal compared to what some of the other players are selling for... Puckett's are getting up there!

Are you going to get that one graded as well? >>

Yes. Just not sure when. Then I'll put one up for sale. Did you notice the double-sided Red Test Cards he had? What were those?
  • Options

<< <i>
    Yes. Just not sure when. Then I'll put one up for sale. Did you notice the double-sided Red Test Cards he had? What were those? >>

I did see those, and forgot to put in a higher snipe for one. Was hoping to at least get one to check it out. It looks like it is another oddball test that Donruss that year. I'm going to email the seller and try and get more info. Sounds like they bought a big collection and it included all the Aqueous cards as well as a bunch of Blue/White tests and those Red/Red tests. Interesting stuff to say the least!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is your ebay auction >>

Not to hijack, but if that's his auction and eBay ID then JBills is the alt of philipjgolden of this thread's fame. At least its BIN so you don't have to worry about "safety bids". >>

Safety bids appear to now be ok with the majority of the CU members.
  • Options
    I saw your posting and wanted to let you know that I have a Cal 1980 Charloitte Police orange card. I have owned it for twenty years and am beginning to think that I might want to sell it. I do not have any children, so I really have no one to leave it to. If might like to talk about it, just contact me through this site or my personal email is arizonajohn816@gmail.com. The card is in terrific shape...I am not a card grader so I am reluctant to give it a grade. I would be more comfortable describing the card to you. So if you might like to talk just drop me a line.
    Arizonajohn
  • Options
    Would you be able to post a scan or picture of it on here? If you have a hard time posting it, you can email it to me a jeffcolburn@gmail.com.
  • Options
    @Arizonajohn:
    Please turn on your PMs so people can send you messages. I am interested in seeing the card as well.

Kevin
  • Options
    What do you guys think of Ripken's new statue? I'm lovin' it! I already snagged my mini statue on ebay to add to my Murray and Palmer. Still shopping around for my Frank and Earl, and can't wait to see Brooks! It's a great time to be an O's fan! image

• Options
    Anyone here end up with the latest 1990 Donruss Aqueous on ebay? $405!!
  • Options
    no... but, that makes 8 ripken aqueous for sure... and i may have seen a 9th for sale on e-bay back in the spring... it went unsold because of a lofty 4-figure opening bid... and more unopened packs could produce a 10th...
  • Options
    Nice card...

Link
  • Options
    Wow!
  • Options
  • Options
    Is that the black line of the next card on the back right side?

Kevin
  • Options
    It almost does look like that's the black border of the next card on the back right edge. I wish it was a larger scan so you could zoom in. Still, it's much better back centering than mine!
  • Options
    I guess my opinion is that if the card has part of the next card showing it should be a 9 (MC) at the highest. It certainly isn't a 10. The grade of 10 would be gift in that case.

Kevin
  • Options
    I'd have to agree with you there. Also, I find this bit in his description odd: this is a preview of the card, after 30 days (because eBay doesn't offer it) I will move it to a 7 day auction. Feel free to place an offer in the meantime and if I think it's reasonable for the card, I will accept.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    That is the part of next card on the back. I do agree with the seller that this is a beast of a card. I have been trying for a while to land this in a 9 let alone a 10. I am confused as to how this one yielded a 10 with that MC on the back. I've got 2 of these at PSA now hoping for a 9 on one of them.

Not sure if the price is realistic but if the centering was better on the back, maybe so. Nice job on the 10. The front looks great!

Jeff,
    I'm not sure of that description. What is the 'preview' service?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I think he's just admitting that he's listing it for the ridiculous price as a "preview", just to advertise the card before he puts it up for auction. So guys like us talk about it before it hits the open market.
  • Options
    RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Hello Ripken lovers, sorry to intrude, but I found the latest postings interesting.

I have purchased from this seller before. He is a HUGE Sandberg collector, as I am. I purchased a 1980 TCMA Sandberg PSA 8 from him for quite a chuck of change in the same format he is selling now.....no problems and very safe shipping. He will work with you if you are interested. He will end the auction for a fair price (it won't be cheap) I will also give you this little gem of information: If you have a 1991 Donruss PREVIEW Ryne Sandberg card....you will have his full attention and a Ripken card for very little.

Again, a good guy and SERIOUS Sandberg and early Griffey Jr collector.

Hope this helps,
    Mike
  • Options
    I don't question his selling integrity at all, and I can even appreciate his approach of posting it for way high with an OBO. I mean if he gets a great offer, more power to him! Personally I'm not in the market for this card in a 10, but it's still cool to see one! Questionable as the grade is, I still dig it.
  • Options
    ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you guys think of Ripken's new statue? I'm lovin' it! I already snagged my mini statue on ebay to add to my Murray and Palmer. Still shopping around for my Frank and Earl, and can't wait to see Brooks! It's a great time to be an O's fan! image

image >>

That was such a great game to be at. Now that you've seen all of the statues, how do you rank them. I think Cal's is probably the best, closedly followed by Palmer. I was really disappointed with Brooks's.
    I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.
  • Options
    I also think Cal's is the best, with Palmer being my second favorite and Murray in third.

I have all six of the mini-statues now and I've been mulling it over in my mind about how to display them. The thought had crossed my mind about displaying them each with a PSA graded card, so I started looking at each player's Topps cards and something caught my eye. Each player has a Topps card that's CLOSE (but not exact) to their statue. Obviously this is probably because the statues were made in a typical pose from that person's career, but I just found it pretty cool that each has a card that's close since I'm a card collector. I put some comparisons for your enjoyment:

By far my favorite statue (shocker), this card is pretty close to his statue's pose, except the opposite leg is in front.

This was the closest Frank Robinson card I could find, but I wish it was on an Orioles card.

Like some people, I was a little disappointed when I saw the Brooks statue. When I saw the empty statue bases before they were placed, I thought Brooks was getting the long base, and Cal was getting the smaller square base. I'm glad I was wrong, but I think they could have done better with Brooks. I think it hurt his chances with his other Gold Glove statue in front of Pickles Pub.

This was the closest I could find for Palmer. His 1983 was a close second. Really cool pose.

Classic Earl Weaver pose. The 1971 and 1972 Topps pictures were taken on the same day but I picked this one because his head is turned the right way.

I love the Eddie statue, especially his chops! Murray has a couple decent cards in an O's uniform, like his 1984 and 1989 Topps, but he's hitting from the opposite side of the plate. This Dodgers card has him posing correctly, but he's missing his chops.

Overall, I absolutely LOVED this promotion. I think it worked wonders for the fans, and it turned out to be a very classy addition to the stadium.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Soon to be in a PSA 10 holder
    1989 OPC box bottom

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Did you just recently pop that 10? If so, it's a Pop 1! image
  • Options

<< <i>Did you just recently pop that 10? If so, it's a Pop 1! image >>

No, thats not my 10.
    This will be #2

Wonder if that card ever sold on ebay? If it sold a while ago, bet it sold cheap. The box bottoms are a biiiiatch!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    I plan on hitting the Ryan box bottom PSA 10 soon image

Got a couple GEMS!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options
    Not sure, maybe VCP would have record of it. Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>Not sure, maybe VCP would have record of it. Congrats! >>

Good call...

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 10
    4/19/11 eBay ypsi72 o***t $149.50

I bet it goes for much more if listed now!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

• Options

<< <i>I bet it goes for much more if listed now! >>

It might! I'm not in the market for it right now, but I know there is plenty of competition out there for low pop Ripkens. Good luck!
  • Options
    I still need to cut and sub mine someday...
  • Options
    This one is mine (Topps), I wanted to get all four players to sign it, but it may be a pretty tall order. Ryan would be easy, but Ripken would be very expensive, and I hear Schmidt is difficult to obtain.

• Options

<< <i>This one is mine (Topps), I wanted to get all four players to sign it, but it may be a pretty tall order. Ryan would be easy, but Ripken would be very expensive, and I hear Schmidt is difficult to obtain.

>>

That would be pretty sweet! Then after that you can do the same for the 1990 one image
  • Options
    Speaking of Box Bottom cards, someone should start submitting more 1988 Score box bottom Ripkens. Only 6 submitted with a 8 being the highest grade. Then there is a 7, 3 gradded a 5, and a 2!
  • Options
    I would if I knew the proper way to cut them, or had the right cutter.
  • Options
    Hi all. My name is Josh and I'm new to the forum, but have exchanged some emails with Jeff. I'm a lifelong Ripken fan and have recently (May) gotten back into collecting. I have been working on the basic Ripken set in PSA 10 and have made some pretty good progress. I recently submitted a two part order to PSA consisting of 10 raws and 2 crossovers (BGS 9.5 Ripken Topps RC) that I have accumulated while scouring ebay. The shipment (regular 10 day turnaround) was delivered to PSA on 10/5. It was logged on 10/17 and the raws POP'd/shipped 10/22 (yesterday). Here are the results:

1 1 20615162 MINT 9 1982 TOPPS TRADED 98T CAL RIPKEN JR. Card
    2 1 20615163 MINT 9 1982 TOPPS 21 ORIOLES FUTURE STARS BONNER/RIPKEN/SCHNEIDER Card
    3 1 20615164 GEM MINT 10 1983 TOPPS 163 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card
    4 1 20615165 NEAR MINT 7 1985 TOPPS 30 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card
    5 1 20615166 MINT 9 1988 TOPPS 650 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card
    6 1 20615167 GEM MINT 10 1995 TOPPS 588 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card
    7 1 20615168 GEM MINT 10 1998 TOPPS 320 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card
    8 1 20615169 GEM MINT 10 1999 TOPPS 270 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card
    9 1 20615170 MINT 9 2001 TOPPS 1 CAL RIPKEN JR. Card
    10 1 20615171 EXCELLENT 5 1982 TOPPS TRADED 98T CAL RIPKEN JR. Card

Needless to say I'm pretty pleased with four 10's and four 9's out of ten cards sub'd. Obviously I had ambitions of a 10 on the first 82 Traded card, but I'll take it in a 9 any day (I know its not part of the Basic Topps set, but it has and always will be my favorite Ripken card- I still have my original collection 82 Traded card in my room in my parents house in a 1 inch thick slab, but will leave it ungraded for sentimental reasons). I will scan the 9 when it comes back, but the only flaw that I found was a slightly rough edge on the bottom of the card- I feel like I have seen similar "flaws" on 10's posted on ebay.

The 82 Traded that came back a 5 had razor corners and great centering (to my eyes) but it did have an edge where the white border seemed like it chipped off a little along the right edge and so I didnt expect a 9 or 10 but thought maybe it would be a 7 or 8.

The 83 was a bonus since I already forked over about $200 for one on ebay (I'll probably resell the one I bought and keep the one I sub'd).

I thought that the 85 was at least a 9 so I must have missed something pretty major. Good thing I had already sucked it up and dropped over $325 to grab one from 4SC. That is the most that I have ever paid for a card. I think they still have one left if you are looking for an "investment".

I pulled the 95 out of a box- it was the only Ripken I got in the box and the only card I pulled myself and sub'd. I really didnt want to drop the $100 asking price for the one up on ebay right now. I had previously submitted offers up to about $60 before I reached the limit.

Now the only 10's that I definitely still need are two of the tougher cards - 1988 and 2001. If anybody is sitting on an extra 1988 or 2001 or has any leads please let me know. I already opened a box of 1988 and will not be doing that again. I have opened up a box of 2001 and will probably get one or two more but would really like to find those 2 already graded. I would even trade straight up the 83 for the 88 & 01

I am also awaiting the results of my 1982 crossovers as I need that in a 10 as well- 1 is a 9.5x4 and one is 9.5x3 w/ 9 centering. Fingers crossed that at least the 9.5x4 will cross to a 10. I'll post those results when they come in- hopefully pretty soon.

Thanks again to Jeff for your advice and moral support. Go O's.

-Josh
  • Options
    The 1995 Topps Ripken is all over the map. I actually purchased mine for $35.50 on eBay earlier this year.

Kevin
  • Options
    Hey Josh, great to finally see you on here!

That is an INCREDIBLE sub on those cards, especially subbing those particular cards. The highlight is definitely that 1983, it's been selling for huge numbers lately. Awesome pull on that 1995! That PSA 5 you got, I'm willing to be there's a surface wrinkle on it. That's an automatic bump down to a 5. Still, you can't ask for better results. On my recent Ripken sub, out of 10 cards, I landed two 9s, two 8.5s, four 8s, one 7, and one 6! And these were 1994 to 1998 cards! I wanted to throw them out the freaking window...
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    I used to sub and cut those box bottoms but never anything good. I thought the cut lines have to
    be present in order for it to get a high grade?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Jeff, I'm sure you are correct about the 7 on the 1985. I probably convinced myself that that hairline scratch only visible from sharp angles was going to go unnoticed. The fact that they seem to scrutinize the cards so heavily makes the 10's seem that much more special.

I'm thinking about trying to go for the "cycle" on the 82 Traded. I have a 5 and a 9- now I only need 1-4,7,8 & 10. This leads me to another question/comment about set registries. Forgive me if they already have this or if it has been discussed previously. I think it would be neat to track your collection of multiples of an individual card. I'd like to know how large of a collection the top collector of the 82 Traded Ripken has and how many grades of each they have. There could be a similar scoring/rating system to the sets, like a weighted grade scale. This seems like it would be of some value to PSA because people might be inclined to have cards graded that wouldn't otherwise be submitted because they wouldn't be graded highly. As another example, my brother is a Red Sox fan and has a huge collection of the 61 Topps "Beantown Bombers" card with Malzone, Werts and Jensen. He probably has a hundred of them (almost entirely ungraded), but somebody else could have a thousand for all I know.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1995 Topps Ripken is all over the map. I actually purchased mine for $35.50 on eBay earlier this year.

Kevin >>

Kevin, I think I might have seen that up on ebay and at the time didn't realize the scarcity of the card. That's a pretty good deal. It's fascinating how the scarcity of 10s on otherwise very inexpensive basic cards can drive up the price- unlike when I used to collect while Ripken was playing and the value of his cards ebbed and flowed based on his performance on the field. I read back to much earlier posts on this thread where there were PSA 10 88 Topps Ripkens all over ebay at "reasonable" prices, and there hasn't been a sniff of one since I started looking back in May- (if there was then I somehow missed it). Maybe I should hold on to my 83 until there hasn't been one posted for a while.
  • Options
    I think the issue with that card is the foil. It tends to stick to the cards it is with in the packs. Very, very tough card. I think the 1985 card will come down in price. I haven't gotten that one yet. The 1988 card came down in price. I got that for $32 in February 2012.

Kevin
  • Options
    Kevin's right about the 1985, it will eventually go down in price, but maybe not as fast as the 1988 did. I simply ran out of patience and money, trying to chase that 1985 Topps in PSA 10.

When I tried to pull my own 1995 Topps, I had that problem where the cards were sticking together, and all of the Ripkens I pulled had color chips from the other card it was stuck to.