Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great Southern Coins

I need some help and advice as to how I should proceed. Myself and my father purchased a fair number of coins from GSC up until about a year ago. I had a number of the more expensive/tougher coins graded and the majority came back as details for one reason or another. They were described as Gem BU, etc. and I know that I should have known better but we were new to collecting higher end coins and this was prior to people posting here. Anyways fast forward to November of 2017. I had been in touch with them when I received all of those coins back and I contacted them with my concerns and let them know how unhappy I was. They agreed to try and make things right so I sent 14 coins back to them purchased for a substantial amount of money. They drug things out and finally agreed to refund a little over half of them back to us in St. Gaudens. It took from November until February to finally get this going. My problem now is they kept one of our $3 gold pieces and said they had resubmitted it for us because they thought it would grade. They also still owed us around $1050 that was supposed to be refunded to us in MS64 or MS65 morgans at an agreed price per coin. They have not done either and have been giving us the run around and are now not responding to emails etc. I realize we screwed up dealing with them in the first place but I do not want to let them get away with this. The money we are down was the cost of a valuable education/lesson. I have documents from them showing they still owe us the coin and the credit. To any of you still dealing with them beware. They even broke a 1795 Flowing hair dollar we returned to them from the slab and had it listed again before they had refunded us for it. I have the picture of the auction and the truview to prove it. Any feedback is appreciated and once again I know we screwed up and I've come to terms with this but they are stooping to new levels at this point by blatantly stealing our property.

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I certainly would ask for money back instead of "other" coins in return for "bad" coins.
    Best of luck...

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed a long time ago they sell mostly ungraded coins and they always got top dollar for them. you could tell by the pictures they were cleaned coins

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did you pay for your coins was it with a credit card?

• Options
    BeerockBeerock Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I did contact the ANA and was told that neither the Owner Jacob Chandler or Bobby Esparza are members so there was nothing they could do.

• Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2018 9:22PM

Just to clarify, you purchased all these coins more than a year ago and are just now in the past 6 months trying to return them?

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I'll try to put this as nicely as I can. I did business with them once. (A lot of their coins do get high prices, but strangely, you see them for sale again quite frequently. Judge for yourself what that means.) The coin I received was...not as described. I returned it and they dragged the process out as long as they could before finally refunding me. Never again.

EAC, ANA Member
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did you wait a year? Just curious?

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a friendly letter from an attorney is helpful. Keep on them through PayPal, but most of all, just tell everyone you can to stay away from them - they're bad news.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be sure to offer paypal and ebay your proof of discussions. Keep any further contact documented. Good luck. They have the advantage due to time of claims. If they stall until you are so aggravated you settle for half, they win. Insurance companies, both medical and auto, have done this for years. If you only lose $1050 and then learn from this as a numismatic lesson, then you will win in the long term. It might save you many times that in the future. Just my advice, don't ever, ever tell anyone you don't need the money.
    Good luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides what has been mentioned here so far, be sure to keep on them so they know you are not going away.
    Since you found what may be the best source of coin info here on these forums, I think it goes without saying to search or post a question here before buying from a new source. That should make the hobby fun again.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

File a complaint with your state AG or consumer affairs and maybe also the state GS is in too. Post concerns online; ebay has a lot of forums, Rip off report has reports like this too; so that when people research them the problems pop up. Legal shield is $28 to join then $17 or so a month and you get lawyers in their jurisdiction to contact them, no extra charge, with possible remedies.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good educational thread!

• Options

if your looking for a different vendor, try apmex, they sell graded pre-33 gold on specials they give for just over spot

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

BLUF: Education is expensive.

I made a few raw purchases through them back in the day, and when I received them, there were all sorts of 'issues" with them that even I could identify. I returned them without any problem and they were put back on ebay post-haste. I have heard/read that they have some really nice coins that were incorrectly identified as MS when they turned out to be proofs, a Buffalo Nickel comes to mind from a forum member (at least I think it was from GS). I steer away from them ever since my experiences with GS...especially since I have been "blocked" from bidding for informing them that some of their listings were incorrect on a couple of occasions. We all learn the hard way at times, and you were fortunate to be able to recoup some of your losses, other may have not been so lucky.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of your issues. This group has been flagged here before. I have not done any business with them, but I know that we have seen stories similar to yours posted here over the years. Good luck with your case... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

call them, here's a link to their site with contact info.
    https://greatsoutherncoins.com/about-us

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't add anything of substance that might further your cause, but I read your post last night prior to anyone responding to it and, being a very long time member of these boards who has witnessed a couple-o-three similar threads, two thoughts kept going through my mind. They are that, if you intend to follow through on participating in this discussion you should have a thick skin and that you should strap in because it just might be a bumpy ride.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, I suggest you keep at it and never give up. Log calls and document conversations. Save all emails, any correspondence. Send them a registered letter... REGISTERED, not certified, detailing what they still owe you. Save a copy and send one every week until they do what they said they would do. Call, Email, text, write. etc...Make it part of your daily routine, afterwords forget about until the next day and enjoy your life. Do not let these people affect your life, it is way to short...

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good fair dealers out there, and one like this hurts them all. Takes a lot of attaboy's to make up for one dumb ass.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 6:54AM

If you sell a raw coin on eBay and the buyer doesn’t get it in the holder they want do you have to take it back months later?

Or if you buy raw on eBay and and the coin comes back details does that mean you should be able to return it, it even months later?

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Know that if you accept sight unseen 64/65 Morgans as repayment, they will be the 64/65’s that nobody loves.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm surprised they were willing to negotiate at all. If it was me, I'd insist on wrapping this up, one way or another as quickly as possible. The longer it drags out, the more you'll dwell on it and the greater the chance of it ending up even worse. A simple letter from an attorney might "wake them up" enough to at least get back coins that you own.

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Is this the company in question? https://greatsoutherncoins.com

• Options

that's their web sight, they probably sell more on e bay, more exposure. I myself have never bought from them

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really have no sympathy for you guys and neither should anyone else.
    Who in their right minds goes out and spends several thousand dollars on coins when they have no idea what they’re looking at?
    You’re lucky GSC has refunded you anything, although from what you say it does sound they’ve kinda gone off the rails of the agreed deal.
    But I wouldn’t go out and buy a used airplane and cry foul on the seller when it doesn’t work. I don’t know anything about how planes work.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would research legal precedent on cases like this; the relevant documents are what statements they made as to the grade, there are objective criterias with even raw coins, so if they say "gem", "unc", etc. and the coins are in fact culls, problem and vastly overgraded, they are liable for the fraud. The time frame may have some bearing depending on the UCC, federal and state laws. Companies like Accugrade have ended up in court on their problem coins in high grade holders and the judge ruled against them.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only two thoughts on this manner.

Firstly, I sincerely hope everything works out for you.

Secondly, what in the world are you doing purchasing high end coins with very little numismatic knowledge AND with a little detective work before your purchases, you could have avoided this seller because of their known past history.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 8:20AM

Why are you buying expensive raw coins? Did it ever occur to you there may be a good reason they aren’t slabbed?

Numismatic Investment is risky especially with big ticket coins. There is no easy money in this market.

No sympathy for you. You brought this on yourself.

Stick to PCGS coins and I would suggest bullion material MS69 close to melt.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

NEVER trust a dealer self grading expensive coins unless you know the dealer well and have an established relationship (kind of a catch 22). Too many dealers are either ignorant, or more likely somewhat dishonest in their grading. This is why NGC and PCGS exist unfortunately.

Sorry about your losses though, and thanks for sharing your experience with this dealer. Everyone should share dealer experiences like this to expose those who over grade raw coins.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WildIdea said:
    If you sell a raw coin on eBay and the buyer doesn’t get it in the holder they want do you have to take it back months later?

Or if you buy raw on eBay and and the coin comes back details does that mean you should be able to return it, it even months later?

I don't think so, or would at least hope not...UNLESS the buyer and seller have a mutual agreement PRIOR to the sale. I have had this type of agreement before, bought raw and submitted as such to have it certified. If the coin came back with a "details" moniker the seller would refund my money. Fortunately I only had to send back one, in it's PCGS holder back to the seller.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's just too much quality slabbed material available out there to be buying this stuff raw. Especially online.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m so sorry this has happened to you and your dad. I’ll bet it’s just a horrible feeling. Yes you’ve learned a hard lesson in coin collecting. You can not trust some people in this world and GSC is most definitely one of them.
    All I can say is keep at it and stay I they’re ear. If no results then maybe take the legal route. I wish you the best of luck my coin brother.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

At the office, we have various internet filters in place to keep people off various types of sites.
    I tried to follow the link to Great Southern Coin.
    Here's a partial screen shot of what came back:

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 1:04PM

@Wabbit2313 said:
    What good is a lawyer going to do? They could not be more clear about the coins they sell RAW. They even tell you to buy certified if you do not know what you are doing. Here it is:

Ok, I'll modify my previous recommendation....NEVER buy an ungraded coin from ANYONE sight unseen! Trying to accurately grade a coin from a photo is sketchey even for experts. It's tough enough to get a good feel for a TPG coin from photos alone.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately GSC probably has a lot of practice dealing with these exact situations. Likely the reason for the waiver in all the items they sell.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO too much placed in single basket given the un-seen promise...a predicament buyer could've avoid by exercising good common sense.

• Options
    BruceSBruceS Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad, we see these thread way too often, I bet GSC even reads these boards from time to time.
    Good luck, and I am glad you were able to recoup some of your losses.

eBay ID-bruceshort978
    Successful BST:here and ATS, bumanchu, wdrob, hashtag, KeeNoooo, mikej61, Yonico, Meltdown, BAJJERFAN, Excaliber, lordmarcovan, cucamongacoin, robkool, bradyc, tonedcointrader, mumu, Windycity, astrotrain, tizofthe, overdate, rwyarmch, mkman123, Timbuk3,GBurger717, airplanenut, coinkid855 ,illini420, michaeldixon, Weiss, Morpheus, Deepcoin, Collectorcoins, AUandAG, D.Schwager.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file