Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hansen watch.

Comments

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Don't know if this has been discussed in the thread, but I'd like to know what manner of storage Hansen and TDN use for their coins.

Plain slabs, Intercept or other sacrificial element protection, controlled environment vault, plain bank vault, good safe or any combination of those.

???

In particular, any improvements taken over this method?

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 6:45PM

@Insider2 said:
    @Currin

Will he add territorials or patterns while waiting?

This is my observation. Unless Hansen is building territorials or patterns sets outside the registery, I don’t beleive them to be a focus, presently. The three places that see the greatest activity is:

1- The Eliasberg Quest with 23 to go.
    2- The Major Varieties , CS, about 60 to go.
    3- A complete proof set, about 350 to go.

I think he will eventually build a Top 5 modern commememative set to go along with his completed pre- 1964.

I think at some point, he will add all the bullion and eagles, he has most of the buffalos.

This will leave territorials, patterns, and colonial. I would not doubt they are in the long term plan, but not sure where or the order.

The last thing I would say is that I beleive we will continue to see a lot of upgrades. I not sure if he is planning to stop until every coin is a condition census top 5.

Also, it appear he is showing some interest in minor Varities and Dies. I am not sure of the level of interest.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

That price for the 1882 is crazy. I’d like to thank him for restoring my sanity from buying the Knoxville 1883

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    That price for the 1882 is crazy. I’d like to thank him for restoring my sanity from buying the Knoxville 1883

irrespective of price, do you feel his 1882 is the finest for that date? thanks

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm rarely awestruck, but seeing these laid out like this Currin is really wonderful. Thanks for all your efforts in making this a terrific and historic blog. I just wonder what its going to be like 5 and 10 years from now if this keeps up. I really get tachycardia from such modern coins, being that I only collect pre-1840, but perhaps I should open thinking one of these days. Bruce did you think this is now the finest set ever assembled in its totality at this point? Even the duplicates are now becoming of such high quality.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

No idea. The nuances of ranking common date trade dollars (combining non cam, cam, deep cam and killer color) are very complex. Probably comes down to personal preference

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

No idea. The nuances of ranking common date trade dollars (combining non cam, cam, deep cam and killer color) are very complex. Probably comes down to personal preference

thanks

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

The 1879 T$1 PR68 CAM is absolutely wicked. WOW!

• Options
    edited January 17, 2019 7:03PM

@GoBust said:
    Bruce did you think this is now the finest set ever assembled in its totality at this point? Even the duplicates are now becoming of such high quality.

Probably. It’s really hard to compare grades from different eras - PCGS proof grades are probably a point higher now from when I built my set. With that said, Eliasberg’s common date proofs weren’t that outstanding. Simpson’s are, but his rarities are a bit lacking. I had a bit of both but not uber graded common dates.

And trade dollars are more than just the proofs. My old set in unc blows away anything ever put together. The new owner intends on doing a proof set as well.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Gazes
    I was going to discuss depth of the Proof Trade Dollars over the weekend, so this is a preview. If you have doubts that the 1882 PR68CA PCGS POP 1/0 is the finest, then maybe his 1882 PR67DC PCGS POP 1/1 will be more satisfying. If you still have doubts, then let’s go with his 1882 PCGS PR67+ CA POP 1/2. Being the Hansen collection have the Top 3 specimens, then I believe he has the field covered.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options

@Currin said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Gazes
    I was going to discuss depth of the Proof Trade Dollars over the weekend, so this is a preview. If you have doubts that the 1882 PR68CA PCGS POP 1/0 is the finest, then maybe his 1882 PR67DC PCGS POP 1/1 will be more satisfying. If you still have doubts, then let’s go with his 1882 PCGS PR67+ CA POP 1/2. Being the Hansen collection have the Top 3 specimens, then I believe he has the field covered.

I dont disagree

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

That blast white 1879 is wicked!

• Options

@Currin said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@Gazes said:

@tradedollarnut said:

Gazes

In your enthusiasm, you are falling into a trap. Coin grading has changed too much over the past decade to definitively call anything without a long history the finest known. Simpson’s set is spectacular and there are old time coins that are amazing. When you’re splitting hairs between proofs that change two grades over a trivial issue, you have to be careful not to talk in absolutes

• Options

Yes Bruce, your circulation strike were amazing. It's going to be tough for BC to improve it. Seeing these coins makes me understand how you became a tradedollarnut despite your normal looking outward appearance. Of course that's one "Bust"nut to another. See you soon I hope.

• Options

@Gazes said:
    I think one thing to remember when looking at individual coins in the Hansen collection is that his goal is to collect one of everything! This is a goal very few have ever tried to take on. So sometimes his options may be more limited or compromises must be made. If one is building just the finest St Gaudens set or the just the Finest Trade dollar set, I think your approach should be different. If you are trying to get one of everything sometimes its just not possible that every coin is all there.

Gazes.. I think your comments are all true, but also I think the Hansen’s Proof Trade Dollar is a attempt to assemble the finest. There are several objectives that a collector can have in assembling sets. Some collectors like coins that match, some may like color, some like untone, and some want the finest specimens that are available, as it appear to me for this set. You are correct in collecting one of everything, at times you will need to compromise. The Trade Dollar series turned out really well from top to bottom. Not much compromising.

• Options

@Currin said:

@Gazes said:
    I think one thing to remember when looking at individual coins in the Hansen collection is that his goal is to collect one of everything! This is a goal very few have ever tried to take on. So sometimes his options may be more limited or compromises must be made. If one is building just the finest St Gaudens set or the just the Finest Trade dollar set, I think your approach should be different. If you are trying to get one of everything sometimes its just not possible that every coin is all there.

Gazes.. I think your comments are all true, but also I think the Hansen’s Proof Trade Dollar is a attempt to assemble the finest. There are several objectives that a collector can have in assembling sets. Some collectors like coins that match, some may like color, some like untone, and some want the finest specimens that are available, as it appear to me for this set. You are correct in collecting one of everything, at times you will need to compromise. The Trade Dollar series turned out really well from top to bottom. Not much compromising.

What I have found to be remarkable is that as time has gone on, it seems that there is less and less compromise and he is trying to get not only every coin but the finest when possible. I know there are exceptions but there are many examples where he could have just bought an avg coin to fill a slot and he has gone out of his way to get the best.

• Options

@Gazes said:

@Currin said:

@Gazes said:

What I have found to be remarkable is that as time has gone on, it seems that there is less and less compromise and he is trying to get not only every coin but the finest when possible. I know there are exceptions but there are many examples where he could have just bought an avg coin to fill a slot and he has gone out of his way to get the best.

Not only that, but he is purchasing POP 1/0 coins, even when he his the second finest in his collection.

• Options

Nice PCGS boxes sent through the time machine!

• Options

Hansen Proof Trade Dollar Collection

I hope you have enjoyed Proof Trade Dollar week. Few days ago, we had a real good look at the coin dubbed, “Mr. Big”. Then, we did a deep dive into the 13-piece ATF Trade Dollars, Proof (1873-1885) set. This is small set that we saw is packed full of great specimens. This last posting for Trade Dollar Week will be The Hansen Collection of US Proof Trade Dollars. Presently, there are 36 coins represented the Hansen Collection. These coins are represented in three complete sets, and I found one 4-tier common coin still in the collection. There may be more in the registry, or there could be coins in his inventory that is not in the registry. Bottom line, the Hansen Trade Dollar Collection has 36 coins that are known to the community.

I am predicting this 3-tier collection of Proof Trade Dollars will be award the PCGS HOF this summer. As far as I know, there never has been a collection with three complete sets of 1873-1883, and one of them completed thru 1885. According to auction results and Price Guide information, the total value of the collection is $5,824,600. The depth of the collection is amazing. I will discussion the three sets in the collection, and the 4-coin deep 1882. Let’s start with the 1882.

Hansen’s Four 1882s

The 1882 is considered a common trade dollar. Q. David Bowers describes the date as: For the fifth year in a row, the only trade dollars minted at Philadelphia were Proofs. The mintage figure of 1,097 Proofs was nearly equal to the number (1,100) of silver Proof sets made of other denominations from the dime to the Morgan dollar. Examples are readily available and are very popular due to the overall low mintage figure. Many are flatly struck. Walter H. Breen suggests that this may have been due to a deteriorating hub used to produce the die.

I don’t know of many Proof Trade Dollar collectors that spend much time or money on this date. Hansen has about quarter of a million dollars invested in the common date alone. The amazing Legend set had a PR66 PCGS POP 19/31. The current Simpson collection has a very nice PR67DC PCGS POP 2/3. Eliasburg specimen is estimated at PR64CA PCGS POP 47/141. Please note as TDN and others have pointed out; grades from different eras can be tricky. In keeping things simple, all I have to go on is the present PCGS POP report. As I said before, Hansen has 4 and they the POP 1/0, 1/1, 1/2, and final a POP 8/5. The means the top 3 1882 Proof Trade Dollars are in the Hansen Collection. The only missing 1882 Top 5 PCGS coin is in Simpson’s set. I think this is an example of the deep of the Hansen Collection. (Note: The Trade Dollars are not the only series that he goes several layers deep.) You can find the picture for the PR68 CA PCGS POP 1 /0 in my last update. The PR67+ DC is below. There are no pictures available for the PR67+ CA or PR66 CA.

1882 (in ATF #1 1873-1885 set) PR68 CA PCGS POP 1 /0 (PCGS Value $144,000)
    1882 (in ATF #3 1873-1883 set) PR67+ DC PCGS POP 1 /1 (PCGS Value $67,000)
    1882 (in ATF #6 1873-1883 set) PR67+ CA PCGS POP 1 /2 (PCGS Value $39,500)
    1882 (in misc varieties set) PR66 CA PCGS POP 8/5 (PCGS Value $13,000)

Hansen’s 1882 PR67+ DC / Hansen #2 Coin

ATF #1 - Trade Dollars, Proof (1873-1885)

We discussed this set in details a couple days ago. It is no question that the theme/goal of this set is the “Finest PCGS Specimens Known”. I think the purchase of the 1882 PR68 at the FUN Auction confirms the goal of this set. The set already had the second finest PCGS certified specimen. There are only 4 certified PCGS coins that can improve the grade of this set. The two known is the 1873 PR66 in the Driftwood set, and the monster 1878 PR69CA in the Simpson set. All the pictures of the amazing Hansen coins were in previous posting. PCGS places the total value of the set at $5,310,000. Truly a HOF set and not much else can be said.

ATF #3 - Trade Dollars, Proof (1873-1883)

Here is when it gets really interesting. Are the coins in this set duplicates, or do they have a higher status in the collection? PCGS Coin Guide places the value of the coins in this set at $233,000. I have not heard JB or DLH say for sure what the long term goal will be. Why would you keep additional coins or sets? Maybe someone can provide the answer to the community.

There are many themes that collectors use for their sets. Some collectors desire to have the finest known, i.e. POP 1/0. Think we see that in Hansen’s #1 set. Some collectors, as I believe TDN, desire to have the finest that he can find, and that may not be the POP 1/0 coin. There are other collectors like coins that match, some may like colorful coins, some people like untoned; the reasons could be many. I don’t know Hansen intentions for this set, but I did observed a theme (maybe). Now, before you get to excited, the pictures were very limited for the specimens in this set. To me, they look like a few of them are matching. You be the judge.

1875 T$1, CA PR66CA Certification #25666121, PCGS #87055, PCGS POP 3/3

1877 T$1, CA PR66+ CA CAC Certification #19510832, PCGS #87057, PCGS POP 1/3

1879 T$1 Trade, CA PR67CA CAC Certification #25043748, PCGS #87059, POP 4/4

ATF #6 - Trade Dollars, Proof (1873-1883)

The third set has the lesser graded coins. So, the value of the set is a measly $119,000. Will Hansen keep this set in his collection or sell it? Interesting, this is most colorful set. I doubt it means anything; it is just an interesting observation.

1875 T$1, CA PR65+ CA CAC Certification #25044067, PCGS #87055 POP 2/10

1879 T$1 Trade PR66 Certification #25564670, PCGS #7059

• Options

Heads Up

This week I will be changing focus to some modern upgrades. I have been over looking the early to mid-20th Century coins in the Hansen Collection. Many of you on this forum view these coins with passion. The purchase of 1956-D Roosie was brought to my attention by a forum member. So, this week I will make a couple updates for a few 20th Century series. This will include several coins from the Heritage 2019 FUN US Coins Signature Auction in Orlando. Stay tune.

• Options

FUN Purchases

This week let’s change focus and even centuries. Some the early to mid-20th Century coins in the Hansen collection get over looked by the BIG coins. There are a lot of registry individuals on this forum that these coins are their passion. This update is for you. The purchase of 1956-D Roosie was brought to my attention by a forum member. So, this week I will make a couple updates for a few 20th Century series. There were several coins from the Heritage 2019 FUN US Coins Signature Auction in Orlando that made improvement in sets in these series.

I am starting with three dimes that were purchased at the fun show. Two of them are in the Mercury Dime series and one Roosie. I think this is a reminder to us that even when the heat is on for the purchase of a $4 Million Dollar coin, the little guys are still in the mix.

Mercury Dimes

This series is one that Hansen is very deep. He has three 100% complete sets. Although in the main set (Mercury Dimes FB Basic Set, Circulation Strikes - 1916-1945), Hansen is number two in the ranking. Being he has no partial completed sets listed, then you could assume there are four and five tier coins lying around with no place to go. Could we see the Hansen’s MERCs going maybe five sets deep, due to there still room to improve his top tier MERC set. Forsythe is still the king of MERCs, with many great coins. To see Hansen’s sets: https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/mercury-dimes-major-sets/mercury-dimes-fb-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1916-1945/235

He improved his #2 set with two new purchases from the FUN Auctions. He has much work to do before he could overtake the present #1 set. Can anyone speak on if that is even possible without the #1 set going up for sale? It would be interesting to know.

1917-D Mercury Dime, FB MS66+ FB CAC
    PCGS Coin # 4913 / PCGS Serial # 31814081 / POP 3/0

Description: Full Bands representatives of the 1917-D Mercury dime grade no finer than MS66. Gems are scarce, and Premium Gems are decidedly rare. This Plus-designated piece is among the finest Full Bands coins at PCGS and an essential acquisition for Registry Sets. Original mint luster glistens beneath russet and olive-gold toning on each side, and the design elements showcase full sharpness. A lack of bother some abrasions promotes strong eye appeal on this magnificent coin. (Heritage 1/2019)

Ex: FUN Signature (Heritage, 1/2003), lot 6507; ANA Signature (Heritage, 8/2010), lot 4493; Central States Signature (Heritage, 4/2011), lot 5075, The Charles McNutt Collection (Heritage 1/2019 realized $9,6000) – Hansen Collection

1929 Mercury Dime, FB MS67+ FB CAC
    PCGS Coin # 4973 / PCGS Serial # 36832100 / POP 7/1

Description: Plentiful through MS66 Full Bands, the 1929 transitions to conditionally scarce in MS67 and extremely rare any finer. This piece presents full strike definition over all-brilliant, radiantly lustrous, and practically unmarked surfaces. (Heritage 1/2019)

Ex: Unknown (Heritage 1/2019 realized $4,080) – Hansen Collection

Roosevelt Dimes FB Basic Set

The Roosie dime series have several big fish in the deep end of the pool. Haylcon, Hall, Almighty, and Hansen are the biggest competitors in this series. Hansen is battling hard and presently in 2nd place. He updated one specimen from FUN, so that may say something about the competition. The 1956-D has remarkable color. Did anyone see that coin and can comment on it. Unlike the Mercury’s, Hansen has posted only one set so far.

1956-D Roosevelt Dime, FB MS68FB
    PCGS Coin # 85113 / PCGS Serial # 81479653 / POP 1/0

Description: Remarkably cherry-red and apple-green toning consumes the obverse of this lustrous and well-struck dime. The reverse displays similar shades although in more delicate fashion. Pristine aside from unobtrusive contact on the portrait. (Heritage 1/2019)

Ex: Unknown (Heritage 2016 US Coins Signature Auction, realized $7,637.50); Five Generations of Eby Collection (Heritage 1/2019 realized $8,400) – Hansen Collection

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I notice he has an 1864 $2.5 in the 1792-date set, but it has not been put in the 1792-1964 set.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

The 1956D Roosie above is from the Just Having Collection auctioned back in 2009 in a PCGS MS67FB Holder. IMHO it is the finest known 1956D. Hansen has 3 registered 46 - 64 Silver sets. #1, #4 and #73. He only has one registered 46 - Date set. The Halcyon set is #1 in that category and is unbeatable because of the number of pop 1/0 and top pops from 65 - Date that are in the set. The Halcyon set would have to be sold or broken up before Hansen can claim #1 in the 46 - Date set. I believe the owner has no intention of either. But you never know...

I also know that while Hansen added the pop 1/0 56D to his Roosie set he also lost his pop 1/0 bonus for the 49P 68FB as another was slabbed at FUN. Lets see where that coin ends up over the next couple months. I think Hansen has some real competition in the Roosie Series, Even though it's probably #565 down the line of sets he is focusing on.

Just my 10c worth
    Onlyroosies

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@onlyroosies said:
    The 1956D Roosie above is from the Just Having Collection auctioned back in 2009 in a PCGS MS67FB Holder. IMHO it is the finest known 1956D. Hansen has 3 registered 46 - 64 Silver sets. #1, #4 and #73. He only has one registered 46 - Date set. The Halcyon set is #1 in that category and is unbeatable because of the number of pop 1/0 and top pops from 65 - Date that are in the set. The Halcyon set would have to be sold or broken up before Hansen can claim #1 in the 46 - Date set. I believe the owner has no intention of either. But you never know...

I also know that while Hansen added the pop 1/0 56D to his Roosie set he also lost his pop 1/0 bonus for the 49P 68FB as another was slabbed at FUN. Lets see where that coin ends up over the next couple months. I think Hansen has some real competition in the Roosie Series, Even though it's probably #565 down the line of sets he is focusing on.

Just my 10c worth
    Onlyroosies

Absolutely!

Halcyon easily has the #1 Roosie set in all catagories except the basic 1946-1964 Silver series. Halcyon has a H.o.F. Clad set. No one is even close.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@dbldie55 said:
    I notice he has an 1864 $2.5 in the 1792-date set, but it has not been put in the 1792-1964 set.

The 1864 was not need for the quest. The collection has an amazing Proof 66 1864 $2.5 that was purchased at 2018 FUN auction. This new coin does fill a hole in the CS sets.

• Options

Long Beach TOP 5

I browsed the three big auctions at the upcoming Long Beach Show. There were no coins available in these auctions that are very significant. There were no Mr. BIGs. I could not find any coins offered for the 23 remaining countdown coins in the Eliasberg Quest. There were couple proofs that would be wonderful additions to the collection, and several upgrades. The Goldberg Auction did not have anything that I found would to have any noteworthy improvement for the Hansen Collection.

There were a couple early proof half dimes in the Heritage Long Beach Signature Auction that could be very nice additions. The Legend Long Beach Regency 30 Auction has a couple gold proofs. Also, Legend has quite a few of upgrades available, especially for the St. Gaudens Double Eagles and the Barber Half Dollars sets. Will Hansen get any of these? We don't know yet. So, let’s take a look at these top coins that are being offered.

1829 Half Dime, V-3, LM-2, PR65 Cameo - The Eliasberg Specimen

The first specimen is an 1829 Proof Half Dime. I am not sure why but the PCGS master proof set does not contain any Proof Capped Bust Half Dimes. I think this is a common inconsistency that PCGS has with their set requirements. The Capped Bust Half Dimes, Proof (1829-1837) PCGS set does not have any sets registered yet. For this reason, I would assume that there are no Proof Capped Bust Half Dimes in the Hansen Collection. If this is true, then the 1829 could be the first.

Description: The year 1829 marked multiple milestones for the U.S. Mint, including its second Mint Building and the introduction of close-collar technology which refined the facility's output. Proofs were struck for the Second Mint Building cornerstone and distribution to important persons. This Gem proof with strong contrast is richly toned yet thoroughly Cameo-worthy. The fields are reflective under gold-orange outer patina with sea-green and blue along much of the margins. A marvelously appealing representative of one of the few well-documented early proof issues bearing one of the most famous pedigrees in all of numismatics.

1841 Seated Liberty Half Dime, PR65 - Tied for Finest Certified

This early Liberty Seated Half Dime is needed for the collection. This is a very nice specimen assuming it would cross over to PCGS without reduction.

Description: Russet, pale blue, and silver-white areas alternate to splendid effect on this attractive Gem proof 1841 half dime, one of perhaps eight to 10 known to survive of this early proof issue. The design elements are fully struck. NGC reports one each in PR63, PR64, and two in PR65, while PCGS shows two examples in PR63 and one in PR63 Cameo, making a total of seven grading events between the two services -- not necessarily all separate coins. In any case, this piece is tied for finest graded, at a minimum, and is the finer of only two with the CAC green approval sticker.

$2.50 1882 PCGS PR66+ DCAM CAC - WOW, WOW, WOW! Did we say WOW? This coin is a near miss PR67 DCAM.

This would be a very nice addition to the Proof Quarter Eagle Gold Set. Legend is very excited about this coin.

Description: Remarkable ultra deep mirrors explode from all over. The mirrors are also crystal clear and are virtually perfect. We think we see one small line that keeps this coin from PR67 DC. Wouldn't it be nice if all coins were graded this strict? Anyway, when you twirl this coin, you see a freshly made sheet of glass with deep gold color. Miss Liberty and every detail are needle sharp in strike and have an ultra thick frosting. The eye appeal is insanely great!

$20 1910 NGC PR66+ CAC - When we first saw this coin our jaws dropped and locked. We still can't close them! This coin is not only SUPER HIGH END but is out of this world! WOW!

This is another very nice coin that depends on a good crossover from the NGC holder.

Description: Insane-yes insane Roman finish surfaces blaze from all over. These are not semi Roman finish, these are knife sharp and stand out almost 3-D like Roman finish surfaces. In fact, this coin looks like a Modern made medal more than a 1910 Proof! The luster and flash are virtually blinding. There is not a single flaw visible even using the strongest glass. Both sides are an electric yellow gold color. There are NO spots or discolorations. Miss Liberty and every detail are so fully struck you do not need a glass to see fine details like her toes. We must say again, the eye appeal is intensely jaw dropping!

Upgrades

For the last spot, I will just a mention some of the upgrades available. This Legend Regency auction is full of upgrades, finest specimens known, and even a few POP 1/0 specimens. This provides several opportunities for JB and DLH to pick and choose from the numerous of upgrades. For example, there are several upgradable St. Gaudens Double Eagles and Barber Half Dollars. I will show you best of each. There are plenty more.

$20 1909-D PCGS MS67 CAC - Ex. ELIASBERG/DUCKOR/A&A - Most likely the FINEST 1909-D in existence! (Estimate: 275,000.00 - 325,000.00 USD)

50C 1896-O PCGS MS67 CAC FROM THE FORMULA 1 COLLECTION.EX ELIASBERG- STELLAR - Sole FINEST KNOWN 1896-O half dollar that exists (Estimate: 90,000.00 - 100,000.00 USD)

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

It's important to note that the 1922 No D Lincoln Cent in MS65 RB and MS65+ RB on CoinFacts are the same coin.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1922-no-d-1c-strong-reverse-rb/3286

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 26, 2019 5:37PM

The 1841 PR-65 is V-8, ex-Gardner.
    Here is a minimally researched 1841 proof half dime roster:
    1. V-1 PR-65 Pittman/Kaufman, sold in 2008-1, 2014-2
    2. V-1 PR-64 Eliasberg, sold in 2005-3
    3. V-8 PR-65 Gardner, sold in 2014-10, 2016-2.
    4. V-8 PR-63 cam, 2014-6

Note: V-8u is my unpublished unofficial designation.
    The obverse date position is different from V-1, and the reverse is different as well.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 5:22AM

Never mind. Go get them Mr. Hansen.

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    The 1841 PR-65 is V-8, ex-Gardner.
    Here is a minimally researched 1841 proof half dime roster:
    1. V-1 PR-65 Pittman/Kaufman, sold in 2008-1, 2014-2

1. V-8 PR-65 Gardner, sold in 2014-10, 2016-2.

Note: V-8u is my unpublished unofficial designation.
    The obverse date position is different from V-1, and the reverse is different as well.

Very cool research Clint. If I am understanding this correctly, the two top pop PR65s are a different variety. Very interesting..

• Options

will be curious what, if any, coins he adds to his collection from tonight's Legend auction

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 5:16PM

I'm sure most of us know what you mean @Currin but for the grades on the dollars. Most should be MS-grades but you put PR for most of them in your last post.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    edited January 27, 2019 5:53PM

@Ablinky said:
    I'm sure most of us know what you mean @Currin but for the grades on the dollars. Most should be MS-grades but you put PR for most of them in your last post.

Thanks for the heads up. Very sloppy work today. I think I have everything fixed.

• Options

@Gazes said:
    will be curious what, if any, coins he adds to his collection from tonight's Legend auction

Anyone heard anything pertaining to the auction last night? Hopefully, @JBatDavidLawrence
    can will give us an update, or update sets.

• Options
    edited January 28, 2019 5:28PM

Wrong thread

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legend is still revealing winning bidders number (unless they were a floor bidder). Bidder No. 8404 (internet) as I recall was successful on many high end silver, but did not seem to go after the high end gold proofs as I recall. I assumed that the Hansen Collection was #8404, but that might also have been Legend at the direction of their consignor........ BTW 8404 is from my memory and may not be accurate.

OINK

• Options

@OldIndianNutKase said:
    Legend is still revealing winning bidders number (unless they were a floor bidder). Bidder No. 8404 (internet) as I recall was successful on many high end silver, but did not seem to go after the high end gold proofs as I recall. I assumed that the Hansen Collection was #8404, but that might also have been Legend at the direction of their consignor........ BTW 8404 is from my memory and may not be accurate.

OINK

I think you are correct. Hansen added updates overnight. The majority of the coins are silver and strong in the half dollars. I seems that he agree with others that the gold was overpriced.

• Options

this is a question for John Brush---the Hansen collection has a huge amount of amazing proof gold. Many of these coins show no auction records for 10-20 years. Did Hansen buy a few large proof gold collections or has he picked them off one or two at a time? These trade so infrequently it is amazing that he has put together what he has.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would be surprised how many people don't realize the 96-O Barber Half is the real key date in MS. It is also the lowest POP coin in MS and MS+ AU combined!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file