Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post your April 2018 Pickups!!

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez Dave - I agree - what a beauty!

Centering is super. I have an OC - and frankly offends my eye. I'm always worried that the OC Police are gonna knock down my door and arrest me!

Mike
  • Options

Hiya Matt

You could hunt forever to find a centered 66T Mantle or any card for that matter.

Superb pickup buddy. I'm chartreuse with envy.

Mike
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭✭

Never saw that Staubach photo super nice.
    Some really nice PU s fellas.

After seeing the Trout Gatorade I think I might just go out and look and buy one.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules That West is fantastic. I, too, have been looking for one and can attest to how outstanding yours is. In all my lookings I haven't seen a 4 as nice as that. Heck, finding one in any grade with that centering is a difficult pursuit. Seriously, congratulations on that card. Just awesome.

Are you going to do the other two -- Oscar and Wilt?

@DM23HOF Those Micks are beauties. I have always been a huge fan of the '55 Bowman set. When you find one that is nicely centered like that it just calls to me. I don't have a lot of experience with the '67 set but I feel like every other high grade Mick I've seen has had some level of tilt. Perhaps that's just my memory effing with me, not sure. Either way, the centering and lack of tilt stood out for me on yours. Congrats.

Arthur

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    @JBrules That West is fantastic. I, too, have been looking for one and can attest to how outstanding yours is. In all my lookings I haven't seen a 4 as nice as that. Heck, finding one in any grade with that centering is a difficult pursuit. Seriously, congratulations on that card. Just awesome.

@DM23HOF Those Micks are beauties. I have always been a huge fan of the '55 Bowman set. When you find one that is nicely centered like that it just calls to me. I don't have a lot of experience with the '67 set but I feel like every other high grade Mick I've seen has had some level of tilt. Perhaps that's just my memory effing with me, not sure. Either way, the centering and lack of tilt stood out for me on yours. Congrats.

Arthur

ReggieC. I already have the Oscar and Wilt in PSA 6. The centering is what caught my eye at first. The scan on Ebay did not even do this card justice. The seller had it listed well above VCP but was able to negotiate him down a little and make the deal very quickly. That card was probably listed less than 10 minutes. The colors popped and were much brighter than the image on Ebay. Finding centered 61 Fleer basketball of the rookies is no easy feat. Here are my other two.
    imageimage

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    What a card that West is. Great eye, as usual, my man.

Came across these two sweet Micks and could not resist. Never can resist an exceptionally centered Mantle card!

Matt as usual those are two outstanding examples. Congrats. Let me know if you ever want to part with some hand-me-downs!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2018 11:30AM

My latest pickup is an oddity but well within my theme. The Standard catalog calls this '1956 New York Yankees Photo Pack'. I love it and would love more information. Regardless, I'm three short of the full set (missing 3 players Bob Cerv, Gil McDougald and Bill Skowron) and they're in the condition they're in; the lower right corner has a bend (and likely crease) but the corners are nice enough, they are clean front and back otherwise (Elston Howard must have been on the front or back) and the Mantle is a great pose and as always I buy with the eye.

Any additional info is greatly appreciated.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited April 24, 2018 1:48PM

Those are nice Tim - of course the Mantle is my favorite.

If that's a '56 pack?

A few could use an update to their picture.

Mantle and what looks like Gil McDougald? Looks like they're sporting the 1951 American League Golden Anniversary patch - commemorating the 50th year for the American League - I'm thinking he only wore that patch his rookie year?

Also, look how much of his number you can see - the angle is such that one is seeing more of the "left" side of his back vs the center - which means that very well could be #6 that he wore early on in the '51 season?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193

The Standard Catalog Entry:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

That pretty much confirms what I was saying Tim.

Mike
  • Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I wanted a half decent "cheap" Yaz RC and found this one. After comparing it to several 5s, I jumped on it.

• Options

@yoda99 what's causing the 4? That's an exceptional print job. I'm not seeing a single PD, which is almost unheard of.

Arthur

• Options

@yoda99 said:
    I wanted a half decent "cheap" Yaz RC and found this one. After comparing it to several 5s, I jumped on it.

Very nice looking! The print is outstanding agree with Arthur on why is it a 4?

• Options

@JBrules said:

@yoda99 said:

Rounded corners, rough bottom border, centering slightly off T/B (from this angle, though I guess L/R if upright).

I agree it is GORGEOUS. I also think Lighthouse Label era PSA standards are the toughest yet. Which I like for many reasons.

Nice pickup...

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@JBrules said:

@yoda99 said:

Rounded corners, rough bottom border, centering slightly off T/B (from this angle, though I guess L/R if upright).

I agree it is GORGEOUS. I also think Lighthouse Label era PSA standards are the toughest yet. Which I like for many reasons.

Nice pickup...

Thanks. It must have been penalized heavily for the edges and corners. It also has a touch of some kind on his cap, but the overall look was still very appealing to me.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing looking 4

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

I think it's really an exceptional copy - I never pay mind to the number anyway. Price and eye appeal above all else.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭

That Berra just pops out. Amazing centering. Nice white boarders and looks like razor sharp corners. Perhaps undergraded? Regardless, congrats on landing what is probably the nicest copy we'll ever see.

• Options

That's just about the best you've posted Tim.

Superb.

Mike
  • Options

@Vagabond
    @Stone193

Thank you both kindly.

It's caused me to commit almost half of the seven deadly sins all by itself.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This one is special. Really special. I can't thank the seller enough for being willing to work with me and the guy who helped put it together. While I am not going to add it to my Registry set until it is in hand as per the rules, it is going in the mail either today or tomorrow barring an act of God (please, no smiting!) so I figure I am ok sharing it. Mainly to prevent myself from exploding.

It's top of the pop, high grade and part of my favorite set of all time. Gorgeous isn't the word for this one - it is the 4th highest graded card from the set, period. Since I'll never even sniff the other 3 (the 2 PSA 9 and 1 PSA 10 Mantle's - each card worth 5 figures plus), I chased this card as hard as I could since it surfaced last year. And all I can say about chasing cards and when you should decide to give up the hunt?

It ain't over til it's over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1951 Wheaties Premium Photos - Larry 'Yogi' Berra

That is just an incredible looking Yogi!!! Never seen that image of him before. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

ReggieC. I already have the Oscar and Wilt in PSA 6. The centering is what caught my eye at first. The scan on Ebay did not even do this card justice. The seller had it listed well above VCP but was able to negotiate him down a little and make the deal very quickly. That card was probably listed less than 10 minutes. The colors popped and were much brighter than the image on Ebay. Finding centered 61 Fleer basketball of the rookies is no easy feat. Here are my other two.
    imageimage

Wow! Those are incredible pickups! Great eye.

KC

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭✭

The 61 F are just eye popping

Love anything Yankees. The berra is stunning

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

That Berra is fantastic. I mean, can you imagine a picture of Berra that's more "Berra" than that? Perfect centering, sharp corners, so clean, just outstanding. Congratulations, Tim! That has to be a great feeling knowing you finally landed it. Ride that wave for a while.

Arthur

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2018 6:58AM

Very cool stuff here recently. Sorry to spoil page 6 with some modern cards......

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

@JBrules
    @jay0791
    @ReggieCleveland

Thanks, fellas! I agree that it is probably my favorite image of Yogi on any of his cards; the fact that he won MVP in 1951 is a nice bonus - maybe the reason for the smile? I am quite grateful to have added it to both my set and my collection. As I've mentioned before, there's only 195 PSA graded cards from the set (SGC has around 40, BVG doesn't know how many they've graded despite repeated polite requests over the course of a year but my best guess is its probably less than SGC based on what I have seen). It's the only non Mickey card from the set to ever grade higher than 6 and because it is single top pop it carries a weight of 10 for the Registry. Since I only had a 4 in the slot, this is obviously a massive upgrade.

I can't wait until it is in hand - thanks again to all for the likes and kind words.

Really.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium according to Beckett's pop report they haven't graded any. The set doesn't come up in a search for Wheaties. There are results for some of the Wheaties sets of the 1930s and the '63 Stamps but no '51 Premium Photos.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland

Thanks very much - problem is I HAVE seen a few of them in Beckett slabs. And I personally own a BVG slabbed Musial*. I'm not going to speak much more on this topic but suffice it to say this is one of many reasons I shy away from the services offered by Beckett. I do buy cards they slab but only send my raw stuff to PSA or SGC, based on which slab makes the card pop better. Color scheme, etc. It's purely about protective aesthetics for me when it comes to grading; akin to picking the right frame for a piece of art. I concede that I leave some money on the table as PSA will command a premium 95% of the time.
    For me, the grade on the flip is only a very small factor; I'm not really a grade snob for anything but my namesake set. I typically like centered cards from the meaty part of the curve - 3s-6s - with a sliding scale that combines eye appeal and price.

Don't we all? B)

*Yikes, right? Needless to say, it's since been crossed to a PSA slab.

• Options

Hmm.... that is odd. Perhaps they have trouble with the BGS/BVG portions of their population data and instead of making that known they just blow off the few inquiries they get about some of the obscure prewar sets. I didn't even bother to check to see if there is a different pop report for BVG so maybe that's the issue.

Arthur

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

@Indy78 said:
    Here are a couple of pickups over the last week or so. The '59 Banks was a Chantilly card show find for 9 bucks. I'm building the '59 and '57 Topps baseball sets in a condition that looks good to my eye balanced by a reasonable cost for my budget, which means about VG to VG-EX condition.

>

>

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

You sure picked 2 great sets to work on.The 59s and 57s have been my favorites forever.I once built 2 59 graded sets and 1 57 raw set.I sold all 3 but now have replace the 59 with a real nice raw set .no luck with 57s hard to find a decent deal out there.Prices have gotten out sky high on most 50s Vintage since there is one seller on eBay that has almost owns most of these on eBay
    And his prices are completely outrageous.

LOVE THOSE 59s

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todays mailday from a 3 card PSA order and got the Best Cuts off COMC for cheap. Really upset the Green Refractor didn't gem. After looking it over with my 60x loupe, really thought I had it.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

I'm a big fan of die cuts Chris - and the Jordan is sweet.

Very nice pickup.

Mike
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    Todays mailday from a 3 card PSA order and got the Best Cuts off COMC for cheap. Really upset the Green Refractor didn't gem. After looking it over with my 60x loupe, really thought I had it.

Are you working on a set or why the BB? I'm a big fan of 90s Bowman and have ripped far too many boxes, but don't chase them graded. Just curious.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Mike!! Agree, there are some great die cuts out there to be had and many are unique and typically condition sensitive.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarsAttacks said:
    Might have gone a little nuts jumping into my newest collecting interest - tray packs. Thanks to all that have posted photos of their tray packs here over the years, I finally decided to join the party :)

Wow so you're the one who picked that '61 tray up? Congrats! I dropped out at around $10k.

• Options

1990s die cut Jordan? Giddy up!

Arthur

• Options
    edited April 27, 2018 7:52AM

The 1959 Banks is a good deal for $9. Back to football...picked up a couple rookies i like.

• Options

At a local flea market earlier this month, I picked up some nice condition 1986 Topps Jerry Rice and Steve Young cards for $12.50 a piece. Submitted them both to PSA along with a 1971 Topps Terry Bradshaw and (2) Cubs David Berg Greg Maddux cards.

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

absolutely gorgeous West!!

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Some pickups for my Dallas Cowboys collection - the 1968 Don Perkins is one of my favorite 1960's Cowboys cards, love the photo.

Steve

• Options

How about those Cowboys!!!!!!

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just landed these two— pumped...

The 57 is a real thrill since he signed most vertically. First I ever saw horizontal. Tough card.

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    Just landed these two— pumped...

The 57 is a real thrill since he signed most vertically. First I ever saw horizontal. Tough card.

wow

Wow.

WOW!

(You have a beautiful collection from what I have seen).

• Options

Love those Leaf R & S. I remember in '98 that was THE set to have. Magglio Ordonez and Troy Glaus carried the baseball side of things, which didn't stand the test of time, but Manning and Moss definitely have. I've yet to get myself a Manning but I grabbed a Moss, too. Love these cards.

Arthur