Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post your April 2018 Pickups!!

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 8:40AM

Took me far too long to put this guy in my collection. It's not rare but I needed one in the grade of 10. I'll have it soon enough (ships tomorrow):

1993 Topps #98 Derek Jeter

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

My tax refund is burning a hole in my pocket! I picked this one up this eve...it had been on my radar for sometime.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just arrived today

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Brooks is amazing. Really tough card to find in strong condition.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Recently picked this up: 1983 Topps Baseball JC Penny factory sealed set. I’ve had a few of these in the past, and either ripped or flipped. This is staying sealed in the collection, as I don’t see as many come up for sale like I used too...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Starting to build the Post War HOFers RC set.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reggie Cleveland: I love the Star cards. That's a very nice example of a 9. I just wish PSA would grade those.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Holy crap, if that Henderson is an 8, then the one I just submitted...well let's just say will suck. That's a beauty of an 8.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

These arrived today. The Fleer Jackson is an upgrade for my set. I used eBay bucks to pay 2/3 of the cost of the 65 Mays.
    James

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Added a few raw vintage BB to the collection with eBay Bucks.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:
    I'm seeing some amazing things here. The Staubach picture is very interesting. After doing a little research, I now understand what a type 1 photo is. I never knew before as I don't collect photos......yet anyway. Nice O-Pee-Chee card of Frank Thomas. The man doesn't get enough respect IMO. His accomplishments would stick out more if so many others hadn't cheated.

Back to football, I picked up a 1961 Topps Jim Brown. These cards are notorious for having white dots in the blue area and also having dots in the black area where the player name is. This card seems to be pretty clean in that respect. The edges and corners aren't the greatest which gives it the 7 grade. The blue dot on the left pants leg and orange dot on the right pants leg is common to every one of these Jim Brown cards.

That black name box is ridiculous. You have to search far and wide to find one that dark and clean. Congrats on that. That's a hell of a 7.

Arthur

• Options

Is it me, or has the quality of stuff being posted in this thread increased over the past year? Maybe it's more of a case of getting to know people more and knowing what they collect so sharing in their pickups is more enjoyable, I don't know. I just look back on the last however many pages and everything everybody posts is top quality. I don't mean high dollar, I mean top quality -- they waited, knew the issues with the card, were patient, and got the perfect one that they wanted no matter how long it took. They put thought into every pickup and you can feel the enthusiasm when people share their stuff.

Maybe I'm just reading into it too much. I don't remember these pickup threads being like this.

Arthur

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 4:24PM

Arthur - Classic has some neat looking cards. I like the Bo Jackson Classic card where he is in a football uniform for Auburn while holding a baseball bat. I just haven't gotten around to that one yet.

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018 12:40PM

Great looking cards !!!!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't even know where to start - some incredible pickups here!!!!

Mike
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

value village find for $25 . hockey photos and a signed Mangold Jets Jersey

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrestling cards from the 70’s are very limited and even more limited with hard card stock.

These didn’t disappoint. Such cool cards.

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

That is one sweet and tough 62 Robinson, congrats on that pickup.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options

That Robinson is very nice. There's no hanging your head low with that stunner, it's a beauty. Congrats.

Arthur

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yoda, that 64 Brock is great, one of my favorite cards of all time.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

Micky and Monte - wow - incredible cards.

Mike
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2018 11:02AM

That is just too nice, Mike. Like I said, I've never seen a T3 where the player popped off the card like that before. Just a great, great addition. Congrats.

Arthur

• Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    That is just too nice, Mike. Like I said, I've never seen a T3 where the player popped off the card like that before. Just a great, great addition. Congrats.

Arthur

Thanx Arthur - it's like deja view all over again.

Mike
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 64 Santo and Brock and the 62 Robinson are great looking cards.

Mike that T3 is probably one of the nicest looking T3 PSA 5s that there is.
    James

• Options

Thanx James.

I really like the HOF'ers in the T3 set.

Mike
  • Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    Wrestling cards from the 70’s are very limited and even more limited with hard card stock.

great cards!! love your collection DPeck. Nice to see some old school wrestling cards on here. Had no idea Harley was that blonde.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options

Currently Collecting:

• Options

Jimmy G!

Arthur

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Jimmy G!

Arthur

You might like these that I just got back from PSA too

Currently Collecting:

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both the Santo and Brock deserve the higher grade. I love that Frank Robinson - great example of a tough card. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:

@Dpeck100 said:

great cards!! love your collection DPeck. Nice to see some old school wrestling cards on here. Had no idea Harley was that blonde.

Thanks for the comment. Yeah Harley was a blond!

I am really glad I bought this card of Jack Brisco. When I add a new card of someone I don't heavily collect I go to Youtube and watch as many videos as I can of the person and I was simply amazed at his ring work. The Brisco's used real grappling techniques and added professional wrestling moves and holds to make it look extremely authentic. Jack had a near life threatening event and spent several months in the hospital in 1999 and credited his wife on saving his life. Watching him break down in tears telling the story brought tears to my eyes and you can tell Jack was a good dude. Growing up in Florida my dad always talked about these two so there is a special place in my heart for guys that were dominate in Florida during the CWF hay day. Towards the end of his career it was clear that the wrestling world was changing and I think Brisco was smart to move on and he did. If you get a chance to watch any clips you will be super impressed and it is shocking how big his legs were for his frame and it is no wonder he could take anyone down at will.

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/jack-brisco-r-i-p/

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    My lone Heritage target/win. Big fan of the overall eye appeal on this one. Well-centered, crisply focused, bold auto, and doesn't have the white dot in the sky area that so many 65s have.

I don't care how it's graded. That Mantle autograph is a 10 in my opinion.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland

That is one fantastic card! As a teen, I was solely a mainstream collector, but I had a friend that would go out of his way to collect all of what I considered the "oddball" stuff. He had multiples of all of the Classic card runs. I remember the green Bo Jackson in the Auburn uniform, the pink Nolan Ryan card depicting him holding the green Jackson card, and then the yellow card of Boggs chokin' the rubber chicken that was always good for a few chuckles for boys with dirty minds, and that's about it.

Having said that, I likely haven't thought about the Classic sets in well over 25 years. I do not remember the Bonds, and I do NOT know how I could have forgotten it! The yellow border with the yellow helmet and yellow wristband and black and yellow uniform accents truly makes it a beautiful card. I asked my friend if he still has all of his oddball stuff, and he thinks he does. He's going to try to locate it all before we get together again. In the meantime, I've started browsing Classic cards on eBay, and while I doubt I go after something near as nice as what you snagged, I believe that Bonds is definitely one that I will be adding to my collection. Thanks for sharing and bringing that card to my attention!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland

My apologies. I meant to highlight your PSA 10 acquisition. They are both outstanding cards.

• Options

Wow, thanks for the kind words, Doug. I was a mainstream-only guy growing up too and didn't know about any of the "oddball" stuff that was around that time. My LCSs were pretty bread & butter -- they got the factory sets and cases of wax and a consistent turnover of popular singles that walked in the door. In the last few years I've spent a lot of time just going through the pop report line by line and looking up everything that I didn't previously know about. I had seen people talk about the green backs before and knew they were rare but exactly how rare and any further details were lost on me.

It's funny, everyone that sees the Bonds card immediately references that Bo Jackson card you did. I'm going to have to get a copy of that, as it is a really nice card. Believe it or not, I have never seen that Boggs card before and I'm from MA. Thanks for posting it. I get the feeling we grew up collecting right at the same time period.

Now's definitely the time to get a PSA 10 green back. There have been so many sold lately that the prices have been suppressed down to the lowest they've ever been. I think 4SC might have a 9, I'm not sure. I know that's where I got my 9 and I think I remember seeing them relist it.

Arthur

• Options

Yoda, that looks so much nicer than the 10 I just looked at. It had really rough edges and the white chipping just didn't present well on the forest green borders. Yours looks great though. I may be going 9 as well.

Arthur

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2018 3:24PM

My latest scoop of a raw card that I have wanted my whole life - literally. While there's never a guarantee until a professional grader renders it so, I think this may be high grade. I'd be happy with a 5 or better but the guy thinks it will do better - maybe a 7 or 8. It does seem to be really well centered, unscratched and has the potential for sharp corners. Feel free to offer opinions of grade. I'll add scans when I can - these are good (not great) photos.

1967 Topps Who Am I? #22 Mickey Mantle

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    rdeffleyrdeffley Posts: 85 ✭✭

Got an unopened box of 1980 Topps wax packs sealed/certified by BBCE. Have always loved this year from Topps and the Rickey RC keeps shoving the value of this set up.

May buy a few more down the road if I get the urge!

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great West rookie!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭

A couple more to add to my slow-growing '66 Pirates collection... Centering on the Face isn't great, but I feel good about the Sisk card getting a decent grade when I get around to sending it in.

Jim