Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Post your April 2018 Pickups!!

HAPPY EASTER fellow collectors!! Looking forward to see your new adds!!

Here is a YAZ Rookie recently added to my collection. A classic from the 60's.

Comments

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful card!!

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:

Got some nice eBay bucks with this purchase.

Thank you so much for purchasing my Wagner card. I recently upgraded this card with the one I found in my Great grandpa's attic. Enjoy!

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Piggs said:

@ahopkins said:

Thank you so much for purchasing my Wagner card. I recently upgraded this card with the one I found in my Great grandpa's attic. Enjoy!

LOL!

Andy

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yaz is gorgeous...and with no print issues!

mint_only_pls
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:

Got me.. sad but true. I know so little about baseball it's embarrassing.

April fools on Easter had me with my guard down. While I know the Wagner is THE prewar card I know zilch about the grading pops and that particular card. I was like "whoa! That's gotta be a huge card for your collection". I admit I got curious and went to eBay to see what you paid. Upon not finding it I returned here to see the follow up posts and then realized I was a bigger idiot than I thought possible.

Thanks for the giving me a good laugh at my own expense.

Kevin

Kevin

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet looking Yaz. That card is about a clean looking one as you can get. Well don UFFDAH.

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2018 9:02PM

just picked up an unopened box of 1983 topps baseball off my grampa.. hes almost done moving.. got few more boxes to help unpack

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Yaz

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the positives on my YAZ. Much appreciated.

I really like that Press Pass Tom Brady!! That hoard from the locker would be fun as heck to sift through and open!! 83 Topps Baseball....I remember ripping that to beat heck when I was a 13 year old whippersnapper!!

I know what you mean and this one is still sealed, guess grampa didn't wish to open it yet or maybe he forgot where it was till he was moving.. am curious about the cut in the ripken card. did it come cut like that?

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    I know what you mean and this one is still sealed, guess grampa didn't wish to open it yet or maybe he forgot where it was till he was moving.. am curious about the cut in the ripken card. did it come cut like that?

Nice box, but was this shrink wrapped by BBCE because Topps didn't shrink wrap their boxes prior to the 90's.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    .. am curious about the cut in the ripken card. did it come cut like that?

That cut in the Ripken is one of the many variations as Fleer was trying to "fix" the FF error, sometimes also referred to as the "Rick Face" error. I've seen factory cuts that were of varying length into the card, and in different placements along the bottom of the card, but have only seen the cuts along the bottom edge. I'm not sure why they would first damage the card, but then include it in packs, but anyway...I believe the factory cut is always paired with the faux wood colored scratched out knob.

• Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭

The Ripken was pulled from a cello pack. I will also say that several of these boxes were shrink wrapped, but not from the factory. They look just like that 1983 Topps box. I am not sure if department stores might have done it for security or not.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Arsenal83 said:
    Topps didn't shrink wrap their boxes prior to the 90's.

I don't know about 1983, but I have firsthand knowledge of opening sealed Topps wax cases of 1986 and 1987 and having each box already individually wrapped. The sealed cases were proffered from Sam's Club, so maybe they weren't truly "factory sealed", or maybe that was something done specifically for them by Topps or the Wal-Mart distributor???... I do want to say that I seem to remember it being more like cellophane than shrink wrap

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slimies said:

I think the Ripken with the cut like this is usually called the "Saw Cut" version. I still have a couple of these that I pulled from packs in 1989. If I remember correctly, mine have the full FF on the bat knob.
    James

edited April 2, 2018 10:46AM

i think bought it from from Pace warehouse back in 1989 (memory not too good) ..i dont know what happened to the rest of his boxes.. i bought the mixed years boxes and Pace had them wrapped too. used to go there alot when visiting him.. maybe that was to keep customers from opening them up , unfortunaly was watching a neighbours kid and the box got ripped open

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a YAZ Rookie recently added to my collection

Wow Chris - sweet card of which I don't have - good show buddy.

Mike

• minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2018 11:55AM

I got a call from a friend of mine late last week and he said he's got his cards, his brother's cards, his cousin's cards and his dad's cards and his wife wants them out of the house. I said how much do you want for them and what years. He said there's some old ones and newer ones. And FREE. Just want them out of the house. Well, he stopped by my work today and my car is literally FULL. Three huge crates all full of cards in albums. Went through a few boxes and found these so far.

There were probably about 500 1975 Topps football and they are NM-MT+. There's about 200-300 1961 Topps baseball. Pretty rough and no stars.

As for the newer, found these.

Excited to go through more, but need to sneak them in to the house because if the wife sees them, she will throw them out.

Having nothing invested in these but my time, allows me to send in to PSA without any worries.

i like the jeters. you getting any slabbed? and yep my folks wanted to dump my collection . said they were running out of place to store it. moving from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom apt so one bedroom will be for display and storage

• minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

@slimies said:
    i like the jeters. you getting any slabbed? and yep my folks wanted to dump my collection . said they were running out of place to store it. moving from a 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom apt so one bedroom will be for display and storage

I plan on getting all above graded as I have no skin in the game on these. The pile I have for subbing currently has about 12 1993 UD Jeters in it. Was that card double produced? I sure have a bunch.

not sure if it was i know ive seen a fair few of em , still my fave looking jeter rc though

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    Beautiful Yaz

Welcome to the forum

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Brock!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

@yoda99 said:
    Wow, we start off with Yaz rookie and Honus. I guess I'm going to bring the level down some.

I jumped all over this 1967 Bears team card. So many players I know on this card....Sayers, Butkus, Ditka, Piccolo, Buffone, O'Bradovich, Petitbon, Johnny Morris, and others. I also went for a few of the early 60s Post Cereal baseball cards. I picked up the Maris just to see that 61 HR stat on the front of the card and being a Cub fan, I had to have Banks.

That's a great group of cards. I'm a big fan of the early 60's Post cards, they look great slabbed.

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

Kid4hof03 - They do look nice in slabs. I'd like to pick up a few more over time, something like Mays, Mantle, Aaron, and a few others.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:
    Kid4hof03 - They do look nice in slabs. I'd like to pick up a few more over time, something like Mays, Mantle, Aaron, and a few others.

I don't own any of the Post Cereal cards (going to have to do something about that) and think they look great. I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times on a Willie Mays Post Cereal. Do you have any of the hostess cards from the 70's?

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@yoda99 said:

I don't own any of the Post Cereal cards (going to have to do something about that) and think they look great. I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times on a Willie Mays Post Cereal. Do you have any of the hostess cards from the 70's?

I've noticed the Hostess cards out there but I don't have any yet. I might be interested in a few Cubs.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

That Montana is such an iconic football card.

Great cards all around.

• RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    HAPPY EASTER fellow collectors!! Looking forward to see your new adds!!

Here is a YAZ Rookie recently added to my collection. A classic from the 60's.

Wow! That’s a beauty!

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw him play for the Albany-Colonie Yankees in a minor league game in the late 80s. Bernie go boom!

Bernie's my favorite Yankee of all time, still a fan but it hasn't been quite the same for me since he retired.

Great cards being shared!! That 81' Montana and the 84' Mattingly makes me want to be a kid again and start ripping!!

The 72' is such a great design. A friend's older brother had some of those we would sift through and admire. The good old days!!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    One of the most clutch Yankees that I ever got to see play and almost underrated at this point. For anyone who didn't see the games, this guy got many a big hit during the great post season runs of the late 1990s. There were many great players and many great moments but I always felt great when this guy was walking up to the plate in a big spot.

1990 Topps #701 Bernie Williams

Nice pickup. I got to Fenway early enough to watch the Yankees batting practice before a Sox-Yanks game years ago and Bernie kept pulling the ball down the right field line then bouncing them into the stands. So my two friends & i went to hangout in that spot hoping to get a ball,we ended up with 5 total. As a Sox fan,i hated seeing Bernie come thru time and again at the plate & field but it got to the point where you had to really respect how good players like Bernie,Jeter,Posada & Rivera were. I have no idea where the two batting practice balls i went home with ended up after giving them to my son but it was still pretty cool getting so many in the first place.

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of great cards this month and it's only the 4th. The Yaz is absolutely amazing and nice haul Tim especially hitting the Ripken.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON

Awesome Card Slum22 !!! A keeper for sure.

Its a PSA day for me too. Been sending in some cards for Auto Grading and also re-holdering.

I just got these back today and am very happy they are now Double 10's.