Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post your April 2018 Pickups!!

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Today's mail, got a pack submission back from PSA and finished my Roger Staubach basic set.

Wow! That Staubach looks great. Probably looks better than most 9's. Trying to find one that nicely centered is no easy task. Congrats.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Always loved that Jordan 1996 SPx Record Breaker Hologram.

Those are pretty cool looking cards. I personally like the 95 E-XL blue cards. Slowing going to submit a complete set. I know it's probably not worth subbing all of the cards but they are neat looking and I guess that's what "collecting" is all about.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭

Got this in the mail today... looking forward to using it to help with my future submissions.

Jim

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on completing your "basic set" - Abe.

And those are some really nice Staubach cellos buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Hey Dude - that's a sweet Mantle - hard to believe no one entombed that in acrylic.

I'm not saying centering is important?

It's everything these days - dead on buddy!

BTW - what's your first name?

Mike
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2018 4:02AM

@Stone193 said:
    Hey Dude - that's a sweet Mantle - hard to believe no one entombed that in acrylic.

Agree.

• Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

I don't do much vintage football, but interesting that Topps for the 1974 and 1975 Staubachs, basically used the same series of photos for the cards. Great stuff guys, keep it coming.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

A Few hockey pickups that are on their way (seller pics used).

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:
    A Few hockey pickups that are on their way (seller pics used).

>

Love the Roy Refractor Auto! Great pickup.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018 8:52AM

Might have gone a little nuts jumping into my newest collecting interest - tray packs. Thanks to all that have posted photos of their tray packs here over the years, I finally decided to join the party :)

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    WalkinDudeWalkinDude Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Hi Mike, my name is Patrick. Thanks for the nice comments on the Mantle. I plan to get it slabbed on my next PSA submission.

Patrick

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    HAPPY EASTER fellow collectors!! Looking forward to see your new adds!!

Here is a YAZ Rookie recently added to my collection. A classic from the 60's.

Bro, you got ripped off. Your Yaz only has about 85% of the ink every single other Yaz rookie has.

Arthur

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

@UFFDAH said:
    HAPPY EASTER fellow collectors!! Looking forward to see your new adds!!

Here is a YAZ Rookie recently added to my collection. A classic from the 60's.

Bro, you got ripped off. Your Yaz only has about 85% of the ink every single other Yaz rookie has.

Arthur

Now that is funny. I want to know what he is using to prop/stand the cards up when he does photos. They always come out looking great.

KC

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

LMAO @ReggieCleveland !!

@KendallCat you got me laughing asking your question.

Ok.....first person to guess correctly what I am using to prop up my cards when I photo them gets 10 NEW BLACK CARD CASE PRO CARD BAGS shipped to them FREE. You just have to provide me your ship address. It is nothing I made or cobbled up, it's a common item......LOL.

Here is a hint. Hopefully I am not giving away too much!!

• Options

Shoe horn.

• Options
    TFig27TFig27 Posts: 24 ✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    LMAO @ReggieCleveland !!

@KendallCat you got me laughing asking your question.

Ok.....first person to guess correctly what I am using to prop up my cards when I photo them gets 10 NEW BLACK CARD CASE PRO CARD BAGS shipped to them FREE. You just have to provide me your ship address. It is nothing I made or cobbled up, it's a common item......LOL.

Here is a hint. Hopefully I am not giving away too much!!

Stapler

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

Staple Remover

• Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018 10:59AM

I think it's a staple remover as well, but since that's taken I'll go with chip clip

• Options

@Francart got it!! Well done!! LOL. Message me your ship address and I will send you the 10 Card Bags. I should be able to ship them yet this week.

Here is my set up with a piece of Scotch tape - LOL

• Options

Wow, I thought "cobble together" was a hint, hence my shoe horn guess. Note to self: do not give UFFDAH any credit for being clever in the future.

Arthur

• Options
    TFig27TFig27 Posts: 24 ✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    @Francart got it!! Well done!! LOL. Message me your ship address and I will send you the 10 Card Bags. I should be able to ship them yet this week.

Here is my set up with a piece of Scotch tape - LOL

Are you selling those bags? How much are they?

• Options

@TFig27 I get the card bags at cardcasepro.com/

• Options
    edited April 10, 2018 2:18PM

I really took a liking to the W575-2 set about 7 months ago. It gets no hobby love and that's probably because no one knows much about it. It has nothing to do with W575-1, they're not, despite what our friends here at PSA say, hand cut, and no one knows how or why they were distributed. But I like the large, clean photo and the small autograph on every player's shoulder. The set is sometimes referred to as "auto on shoulder."

The only Ruth available at the time was a beat to hell PSA authentic. There's only 24 total Ruths graded combined between PSA & SGC and only 10 of those are higher than a 2. I had to decide whether or not I should take the authentic or roll the dice on when and how much the next one would surface. I decided to go with the authentic and also picked up a Cobb at the time. There was an Eddie Collins but I figured I'd wait (it's a PSA 1 MK) and get a nicer one.

Well, that was seven months ago. This has been sitting there on eBay staring at me this whole time so I finally bought it just so I wouldn't have to look at it any longer in my searches. [cue a really nice Collins getting listed tomorrow]

ETA: I forgot to add: I made the right call on the Ruth. The next one to surface turned out to be an SGC 3... with a $12,000 asking price.

Arthur

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018 2:57PM

@minnesotahusker said:
    I don't do much vintage football, but interesting that Topps for the 1974 and 1975 Staubachs, basically used the same series of photos for the cards. Great stuff guys, keep it coming.

This was very common for Topps on the football side. Not to hijack the thread, but I find this stuff interesting... For example, the Dallas Cowboys stopped wearing their original 1960 uniforms as well as the 1962 slight redesign, after the 1964 season. New for 1965 was a jersey with three stripes on the sleeves.

Here's an example of the jersey they wore in 1960-1964 (I think this is the 1962 redesign version based on the star being on top of the shoulder vs. sliding off the side of the shoulder):

Here's an example of the "new for 1965" jersey:

Finally, in 1967 they changed jerseys again from a three stripe sleeve to a two stripe sleeve. Her's an example of that jersey:

All of those items are from my 1969 Topps Dallas Cowboys team set. Of the 12 1969 Dallas Cowboys cards, 4 of the 12 are wearing jerseys not seen since 1964 (and the ones that aren't weren't on the team in 1964 or didn't have a card till after 1964 - Mel Renfro). You can see a similar thing in the 1968 Topps set where of the 9 Dallas Cowboys in the set, 4 of them are pictured wearing jerseys not seen since 1964.

I guess Topps didn't feel the need to take photos of all of these guys each year. I personally enjoy seeing the old jerseys on the Cowboys from the 1960's as I like the jersey in Meredith's picture above the best.

Steve

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Continuing the theme; another Yankee rookie from the 1990s. I really think his decision to go to Houston cost him a shot at the Hall of Fame, for many reasons but I always appreciate the job he did. He always seemed to show up when we needed it most...
    1993 Bowman #103 Andy Pettitte

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I'm currently locked in football mode. Must be because of the NFL draft this month.

• Options

@yoda99 said:
    I'm currently locked in football mode. Must be because of the NFL draft this month.

Yoda those are sweet looking. Love the Calvin Hill card.

• Options

Sweet cards @yoda99 --- I was a die hard Cowboy fan as a young kid and revered Staubach. Would occasionally write to the Cowboy organization for autographs and I did get Landry's (which I think I still have) all though not sure if it is authentic.

@Francart --- your (10) Card Case Pro bags are on their way, hope you enjoy!!

• Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

Yoda those are sweet looking. Love the Calvin Hill card.

@UFFDAH said:
    Sweet cards @yoda99 --- I was a die hard Cowboy fan as a young kid and revered Staubach. Would occasionally write to the Cowboy organization for autographs and I did get Landry's (which I think I still have) all though not sure if it is authentic.

I have the whole backfield now. Still working on the Dolphins backfield. Have Morris and Csonka, just need Kiick.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2018 1:54PM

@dtkk49a said:

Wow Carlo - great Len Wilkens!

Mike
  • Options

I'm liking the Alworth card Micky.

I forgot Garrison was once that young!

Mike
  • Options
    ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

nice centering on the cobb

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing fancy, as usual, but a card ive been waiting to get for awhile for the right price.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Had a friend re-holder a scratch and it got a half point bump.

Matt - sweet card! Pinhole on the right side keeps that from being several grades higher I assume.

KC

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    edited April 12, 2018 12:58PM

This has always been one of my favorite cards of his from a pure looks standpoint. The background invokes the 52T but the pose is special, artistic and unique to the time. To me, this is also one of the better designed cards in terms of format, borders and back.

1954 Red Heart Dog Food Mickey Mantle

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 6:47AM

got a snack box from a hanshin tigers game

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

@yoda99 said:
    I have the whole backfield now. Still working on the Dolphins backfield. Have Morris and Csonka, just need Kiick.

Love those Cowboys yoda99, keep 'em coming!

• Options
    edited April 13, 2018 7:17AM

1954 Red Heart Mickey Mantle is an iconic card to me !! Don't have one but would like one someday.

Same goes with the 1914 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb!!

• Options

Slimies be careful with that snack box!!

One of my product guys came back with a couple bottles of booze from China a few years back. Well one was red in color and had baby mice inside and the other was clear in color and had a lizard inside. I took the lizard one. Later I had some buddies over and one cocked off and said "we gonna just look at that bottle or drink it". I said "let's drink it!!". 3 or 4 of us passed it around until it was gone and it was pretty nasty!! LOL. I still have the bottle and put cheap vodka in it to keep the lizard preserved and on display.

• Options
    edited April 13, 2018 9:10AM

A March Pickup home from slabbing in April. While I lost a point on the 'grade', the PSA grade is more accurate to me than the Beckett Raw Review of 3.5 and was fully expected by me (and subsequently built into the price). And at the end of the day it is still the same card, right fellas? Should reinforce the idea of 'Buy the card, not the holder' that should guide your collecting (more for budget collectors like me, of course, less so for dealers and flippers. I could see that result being massively disappointing to some). It think it looks really sharp in the case, too. I was torn between SGC and PSA for this card and I am very happy with my choice.

1936 Goudey Premiums "Joe" DiMaggio

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    1954 Red Heart Mickey Mantle is an iconic card to me !! Don't have one but would like one someday.

Same goes with the 1914 Cracker Jack Ty Cobb!!

Thanks, man.

The whole set is so beautiful to me.

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Here are a couple of pickups over the last week or so. The '59 Banks was a Chantilly card show find for 9 bucks. I'm building the '59 and '57 Topps baseball sets in a condition that looks good to my eye balanced by a reasonable cost for my budget, which means about VG to VG-EX condition.