Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post your April 2018 Pickups!!

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This has always been one of my favorite cards of his from a pure looks standpoint. The background invokes the 52T but the pose is special, artistic and unique to the time. To me, this is also one of the better designed cards in terms of format, borders and back.

1954 Red Heart Dog Food Mickey Mantle

The Red Heart in my favorite Mickey Mantle card. I picked up a PSA 6 around three years ago. A couple months later I upgraded it to an 8. That card is what made me decide to complete the Red Heart set. Nice card.
    James

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This has always been one of my favorite cards of his from a pure looks standpoint. The background invokes the 52T but the pose is special, artistic and unique to the time. To me, this is also one of the better designed cards in terms of format, borders and back.

1954 Red Heart Dog Food Mickey Mantle

The Red Heart in my favorite Mickey Mantle card. I picked up a PSA 6 around three years ago. A couple months later I upgraded it to an 8. That card is what made me decide to complete the Red Heart set. Nice card.
    James

Thanks very much.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple of my pickups this month. Always been a fan of "Prime Time" so it was time to pickup a few of his cards. The Artis Gilmore adds to my basketball collection.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just grabbed this one up at a local card show

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:
    A couple of my pickups this month. Always been a fan of "Prime Time" so it was time to pickup a few of his cards. The Artis Gilmore adds to my basketball collection.

Sweet looking Gilmore rookie. Congrats.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally caved on this pack today.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭

Received this card in the mail today. Picked it up using most of the e-bay bucks.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2018 6:01AM

That is a nice card of Robin Yount who was a 2 time AL MVP.

What a RB tandem this was. I just picked up this 1971 Jim Kiick card to complete it. In 1972, Csonka and Morris became the first running backs on the same team to each have 1,000 yards or more in rushing.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked this up using my Ebay bucks...well, part of them. Almost have my complete run of PSA 2-8 Uecker rookies. Just need the 6 then will start working on the .5 grades!! Why? I don't know, just seemed like something fun to do.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2018 2:48PM

Junior in his final year Finest.

Mid 90’s SP action

First year Flair...

2nd year Flair

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

More great stuff guys!

Jumping out at me? A really nice Yount RC - very nice Mike.

Mike
  • Options

Thanks Mike,
    Appreciate it. Starting to gain back some of my old collection I sold off to help pay for my house, miss my old collection.

Mike

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    ... Almost have my complete run of PSA 2-8 Uecker rookies. Just need the 6 then will start working on the .5 grades!! Why? I don't know, just seemed like something fun to do.

I have done the same thing with a few of my favorite cards too!
    " just seemed like something fun to do"

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some recent "modern card" pickups.

• Options
    edited April 16, 2018 4:36PM

I definitely noticed that Billy Williams RC on ebay. I decided just to stick with my 8. I like your 9 a lot though.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking Billy Williams RC
    James

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Been on a bit of a Topps Gold kick lately...

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭

Not nearly as exciting as most here, but I'm building a '66 graded Pirates set.

Jim

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭

That Yount should be an 8.5 at minimum. Under graded for sure.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    A little buying spree today...I won this RC tonight.

Wow!

• Options

A little buying spree today...I won this RC tonight.

Hiya Monte - ya hit the jackpot on that one! Sweet card - have to confess I still don't have.

Congratulations buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 9:52PM

Thanks Mike and Keith...I also was hoping to add the '60 Mantle psa-8.5 in the PWCC auction, but a deer hit my car driving back home last night and I didn't arrive back until the auction closed. I suffered major damage to the vehicle and a black eye (otherwise ok)...so today I went on a therapeutic buying spree.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upgrading comics refurbing the man cave over the next couple of months to be more comic friendly, all I've got for April cardwise. Helps out the Tippett basic, and the cat is so excited.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

A card Ive been wanting to add to my PSA 10 Trout SP stash for a while but was always outbid for until last night. Looking forward to having this one in hand:

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

Just added this to my Drysdale collection/display

Salvino Drysdale:

Don with his other stuff:

The award in the middle is his LA chapter of the Baseball Writer's of America Association Sophomore of the Year Award from 1957 - given to Don for having a great 2nd year - no jinx!

Mike
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, that's an outstanding display! I love player awards, especially ones from their playing years.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2018 10:59AM

@mintonlypls - glad you're ok!! You had a deer in your grill - just the wrong grill!!

That Williams and the Bench are VERY nice high end examples - Congrats!!

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

UFFDAH...

Thanks for your concern. It definitely shook me up. I had to laugh about the grill comment. Also...I always enjoy your latest buys. You have an outstanding collection. Do you update your collection on Collectors Focus page? I would like to see your entire collection on there!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls - some of my collection is on Collectors Focus under UFFDAH but the problem is I have not updated with adds and a few deletes for quite some time. I have been keeping the majority of what I buy but have parted with some items.

I am contemplating selling a 1972 Topps Tom Seaver PSA 10 (POP 2) but not sure and have been flopping on it.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Mike, that's an outstanding display! I love player awards, especially ones from their playing years.

Thanx Abe for the kind words buddy.

Mike
  • Options

Got this 1975 Kareem today

Picked up this 1960 Roger Staubach baseball team photo a couple of weeks ago, it's now my earliest Staubach item, so happy to have it.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Got this 1975 Kareem today

Great looking Kareem. That Staubach team photo is sweet. Any idea what year it is from?

• Options

So Roger wears Schiff shoes Abe?

That's a great shot

Great centering on the Kareem. Always catches my eye - a plus.

Mike
  • Options

Thanks guys, JBrules, the Staubach photo is from 1960.

• Options

Mike,

That's what I'm talking about!!! Great pictures with some of the famous Mike collection.

Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

This copy is not at all high grade but it's one of those cool rare Mantle items I love to scoop. I actually have another, nicer version, too. One of these days I'm going to ship some them off to PSA - and since theres only 23 of these currently on the pop report, 25 makes for a nicer rounder number. For one that will eventually slab PSA 1 Poor, it's a blazer! As the story goes, the reason for scarcity is because they were pulled because it was such a terrible photo and deemed bad for the brand of a company that publishes clear photos. I don't know if this is true (and don't care) but they can be hard to find...

1962-1965 Jay Publishing Mickey Mantle Type 2 (Shadow on Face)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Billy Williams and Bench rookies.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't posted many additions lately. Here are 5 upgrades for my 79 T Hockey set.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    You guys have great taste.

Big Game James rookie

I'm a sucker for rack packs with errors or variations on top.

Arthur

Nice Worthy. Need to fire up a collection of his myself. Still my favorite basketball Tar Heel. One handed power dunks were awesome.

• Options

Arthur - that's OPC at its best buddy! Super pickup.

Kevin - those blue borders are "pack fresh" - I'm really liking those - a few look like 10s.

Mike
  • Options

Anything Mantle is OK in book Tim.

I have a Rawlings and Phillies cigar Mantle premium and they're prominently displayed.

I like Jay publishing team pics - clueless about the "shadow" story but it makes for good discussion.

Mike
  • Options

I'm seeing some amazing things here. The Staubach picture is very interesting. After doing a little research, I now understand what a type 1 photo is. I never knew before as I don't collect photos......yet anyway. Nice O-Pee-Chee card of Frank Thomas. The man doesn't get enough respect IMO. His accomplishments would stick out more if so many others hadn't cheated.

Back to football, I picked up a 1961 Topps Jim Brown. These cards are notorious for having white dots in the blue area and also having dots in the black area where the player name is. This card seems to be pretty clean in that respect. The edges and corners aren't the greatest which gives it the 7 grade. The blue dot on the left pants leg and orange dot on the right pants leg is common to every one of these Jim Brown cards.

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

Shoutout to UFFDAH. The Card Case Pro bags have arrived. Thanks again for the contest!