Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

12 Days of Christmas Carnage V (Day #12 - Merry Christmas - RC HOF from a '58 Cello!)

ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 25, 2017 12:25PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Once again the stash has been raided to celebrate the madness of ripping vintage packs and to roll the dice for some holiday fun. This year I'm bringing back the '58 cello tradition along with the double whammy of a '60 cello as well. I was tempted to add in a '59 cello for a "run" of vintage cellos, but I decided that would have been too much :o

Here is a photo of all the packs:

This '58 cello is 1 of 3 I still have and this one has the potential for the biggest hit remaining among them. The '60 cello was bought specifically for what "should" be inside. So here's hoping for good centering...

Here is the opening schedule:

1 - 14th - 2 '82 Wax & 3 '83 Wax
2 - 15th - 4 '80 Wax & 2 '85 Wax
3 - 16th - 1 '84 Cello & 2 '84 Wax
4 - 17th - 1 '86 Cello & 2 '86 Wax
5 - 18th - 1 '81 Cello, 1 '81 Wax & 1 '81 Rack
6 - 19th - 2 '78 Wax & 2 '79 Wax
7 - 20th - 2 '75 Wax
8 - 21st - 1 '77 Rack
9 - 22nd - 1 '76 Cello
10 - 23rd - 1 '72 Wax (2nd Series)
11 - 24th - 1 '60 Cello
12 - 25th - 1 '58 Cello

Scott

PS, Here are links to past Christmas Rips, I'm in the process of un-photobucketing them, hopefully I'll finish them up before the start of this year rips.

2016 - 12 Days of Christmas Carnage IV
2015 - 12 Days of Christmas Carnage III
2014 - 12 Days of Christmas Carnage II
2013 - 12 Days of Christmas Carnage I
2012 - Christmas
2011 - Christmas

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Bring it

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything’s better with popcorn!

Kevin

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Can't wait to see what's on this years menu

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck - these are always enjoyable!!

Daniel
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

F..is for fun!

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone check out BBCE's Christmas specials? The 1982 Topps FB Grocery rack deal is a really good price. If you buy 2 lots, the total cost with S&H is less than $13/rack

Mike
  • Options

A picture of this years packs has been added to the first post!

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Holy shit a 58 cello!

Looks like Christmas for sure.

Goodluck man.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been waiting since the beginning of the month for this!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Today should be day one of the rip!!.. Hell with it, today should be all 12 days! Lets see those ripped open. :smiley:

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to following this. Wow!!!

• Options

Schedule posted...

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

This will be entertaining....best of luck!!!

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

cant wait to see what you get for desert

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

ALWAYS look forward to your annual Christmas rip. Can't wait!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

I'm so thirsty and i'm not even in the dessert

• Options

4 more days

• Options
    edited December 14, 2017 8:59PM

Here we go...

First up 3 packs of '83 Topps. Some start power here, including 2 Allen RCs, but nothing too nice. A few of these packs had some corner damage :(

Here is pack #1

Pack #2

Pack #3

Next were 2 packs of '82 Topps. Again some star power, a nice OC Payton. A few nice commons too.

Here is Pack #1

Pack #2

Until tomorrow...

• Options

Too bad 2nd Allen had the corner issue. Looks nice otherwise.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no such thing as a centered top to bottom 1982 Topps Stallworth. I have had about 50 of them all with the same centering as the one you pulled. Also the 83 Topps Tilley is tough to find with decent centering. I have the only compete basic set of him on the Registry and the 83 is my lone 8 due to centering

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

Day #2

First up tonight, 2 packs of '85 Topps. Both of these packs had some beautiful cards, but no star power.

Best 6 cards from pack 1

Best 10 cards from pack 2

Next up 4 packs of '80 Topps. Again no real start power and mostly off center stuff.

Best 6 from pack 1

Best 3 from pack 2

Best 3 from pack 3

Best 3 from pack 4

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully tomorrow's '84 packs contain some nice Rookies.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing and always look forward to Christmas because of this!!

• Options

Appreciate you sharing.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

Day #3

Next up 2 wax packs of '84 Topps. Overall these packs were tilt free which is rare for this issue. Centering wise it ran the gamut, but there were few blazers, no big hits but a nice Largent showed up. Notice the centering between packs, easy to see these came from the same box!

All cards shown for pack #1

All card shown for pack #2 - in same order as #1

'84 Cello coming up next...

• Options

Day 3, continued...

A very nice '84 Topps Cello pack. Again, still waiting on a nice big hit. A few minor stars but again, pretty much a tilt free pack with a few stunners centering wise! A few duplicates with previous packs and within this pack however :)

All card shown below

• Options

Good ole A.J. Duhe!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2017 8:59AM

Day 4

First up tonight are 2 wax '86 Topps wax packs from the box I got at the National this year. Neither pack had any star power, but the second pack was a stunner with the number of centered cards, one of best I've seen! Looks like all the packs from this box are going to yield 4 disposable cards with the wax, gum, 1000 yard card and the card stuck to it being damaged :(

Here is pack #1

Here is pack #2 - hopefully I find more like this in the box than the latter...

Next up a '86 Topps Cello pack from the '15 Nationals. This turned out to be a great pack too for centered cards, but still no major star power. As with the '84s some duplicates showed up.

Here is cello pack

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Enjoying the football rip so far!
    Too bad you let the Montana rack go :p

• Options

Nice cards. I always get Alfred Jenkins when I bust an 81 pack.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of game memories being jogged with those cards. Ted "The Stork" Hendricks, Garo Yepremian-he the Cypriat tie maker,Lyle Alzado.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@initialD said:
    Enjoying the football rip so far!
    Too bad you let the Montana rack go :p

I hope I'm better than that, but anything is possible!

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

1986 Topps Football was first ever set I collected. Special place in my heart. Great rip!!

• Options

thanks for sharing. much appreciated and enjoyed

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Garo Yepremian's pass and Tom 'shark bit half his foot off' Dempsey's 63 yarder are the earliest recollections of any football watching I have.

Those two have stuck with me forever.

• Options

Day 6

First up tonight are 2 '79 Topps wax packs. Better much par for the course, no stars and a few nice commons...

Here they are, pack 1

pack 2

Next up are 2 '78 Topps wax packs. Mostly off center stuff, but HEY a star card!!!!!!!!

pack 1

pack 2

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagerly awaiting day 7!!!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Day 7

2 '75 Topps wax packs are up tonight. Both packs yielded similar results in that the top half of each pack was pretty much off centered stuff and the bottom half of each had the best cards. The first pack had a couple stars including a super nice Kenny Stabler.

Pack 1

Pack 2

• Options

Day 8

Up tonight is a '77 Topps Rack pack. No major hits but there was no shortage on HOFs in this pack. Quite a few centered cards too, include a few of the HOFs!

Cell 1

Cell 2

Cell 3

• Options

Love those 77's. I need to pick up a rack pack, those look very good. Good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Fred Dryer, remember him as well from the "Hunter" cop show.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Day 9

Next up is a '76 Topps Cello pack. Nothing much to say here, same story again...

All cards shown

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been watching. Thanks for sharing!!

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Here’s hoping the good fortune is coming very soon.

Thanks for sharing!

• Options

A big hit is coming. Saving the best for last. Odds are getting stronger in your favor! B)

• Options

Day 10

Well, I'll say that I had high hopes for this pack based on the card showing, but it wasn't meant to be as the "wrong" sequence showed up. In fact it turned out to be the worst pack so far for condition of the cards inside. Half the pack had major corner damage (including a star) and the gum completely destroyed the top card, a nicely centered star card :(. Of the 4 cards left, 2 were OC and the other 2 were just OK!

Here they are...

So much for the pregame festivities yielding much excitement. The big ones start tomorrow and both of those cellos should yield a big hit as long as the sequencing holds. I just hope for great centering :)

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

@ssollars said:
    Day 10

Well, I'll say that I had high hopes for this pack based on the card showing, but it wasn't meant to be as the "wrong" sequence showed up. In fact it turned out to be the worst pack so far for condition of the cards inside. Half the pack had major corner damage (including a star) and the gum completely destroyed the top card, a nicely centered star card :(. Of the 4 cards left, 2 were OC and the other 2 were just OK!

So much for the pregame festivities yielding much excitement. The big ones start tomorrow and both of those cellos should yield a big hit as long as the sequencing holds. I just hope for great centering :)

Thanks for sharing. I call the "wrong" sequence the 50/50 sequence

at least the GAI pack was legit

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972