Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

12 Days of Christmas Carnage IV (The rest of the grades are finally here!!)

ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

Here I go again... (Loved that song back in the day!)

It's that time a year where drag out the unopened stash and clear out a good portion to make room for more and to get my year end fix for ripping vintage packs! This year will once again top last years "worth" total although the total pack count is lower.

1 - 14th - 2 '82 wax and 2 '83 wax (no big pulls)
2 - 15th - 2 '85 wax and 3 '87 cello (no big pulls)
3 - 16th - 1 '74 wax (no big bulls)
4 - 17th - 1 '75 wax (no big bulls)
5 - 18th - 2 '79 wax (Campbell RC) and 1 '78 wax
6 - 19th - 1 '77 wax and 2 '80 wax (Simms RC)
7 - 20th - 2 '81 wax (worthless) and 2 '84 wax (no big pulls)
8 - 21st - 1 '76 wax and '81 Rack (no big pulls)
9 - 22nd - 1 '70 wax (some minor stars)
10 - 23rd - 1 '72 wax (2nd Series) (Staubach RC - OC)
11 - 24th - 1 '63 Topps Football ('62 Style Wrapper) - Some may remember these...
12 - 25th - 1 '60 Topps Cello (Unitas)

Both of the '60 cellos are shown in the picture but only one will be opened. They both have major HOF potential based on sequencing, Just to tease a little more, both the top 2 money cards in the set may be in these packs! Either one will be epic for me to open, especially if the sequencing holds true, so I'll leave that decision up in the air for now and count on you guys to help me make the call. Otherwise, I'll based the decision on how well the rip has gone up to that point.

Scott

PS, Here are links to past Christmas Rips:

2011 - Christmas
2012 - Christmas
2013 - 12 Days of Christmas Carnage I
2014 - 12 Days of Christmas Carnage II
2015 - 12 Days of Christmas Carnage III

2016.jpg 734.7K

Comments

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Scott, don't open that 63 football pack--sell it to me!! B)

• mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

A holiday tradition I look forward to every year. Wishing you the best of luck.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Scott ... eagerly waiting your rippage once again. Always look forward to this. Hope u kick azz!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck, Scott! Always great to see these rips, and especially look forward to seeing the 63 pack rip! :wink:

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

One of my favorite posts each year

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't wait!! Let's open both 1960 packs!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Was waiting for this thread. Do it!!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look forward to these rips as well. Best of luck to ya and thanks for sharing the results here.

Daniel
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Scott, glad to see you doing this again. Its definitely a card highlight for me around the holidays. Looking forward to the full lineup!

• ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

First up this year are a pair of '82 wax and a pair of '83 wax packs.

The '82s were mostly off-center stuff. The best 6 from both packs are shown below.

The '83s were a little better. Some nice cards, some minor stars (two Theismanns) and a Payton Sticker. The best 6 cards from each pack are shown below.

• Great post. Keep it coming!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Love this thread Scott!

Good luck with the rest.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always fun to watch your December adventure.

• MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

Can't say I approve... but I'll watch just to make sure everything goes smoothly. Never can be too careful, a lot of bad openers out there!

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

What kind of tray are you using on the scanner, looks great!

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Some nice looking cards there, knock 'em dead with the rest!

"Molon Labe"

The 83s look very nice. The 82 Franco Harris looks sharp, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@MULLINS5 said:
    What kind of tray are you using on the scanner, looks great!

It's homemade with a several layers of construction paper cut on a Silhouette SD Digital Craft Cutter.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love following this thread and checking out your scores.

Good luck going forward. :+1::+1:

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it! Nice Smerlas!

Kevin

Day 2 - First up 3 cello packs from a '87 box that I picked up off eBay.

Mostly off center stuff including a couple stars. A couple handfuls of nice commons. The best shown below including the 1000 yard cards:

Next, 2 '85 wax packs obtained at the '15 Nationals from BBCE.

These packs had some of the nicest '85s I've every opened. Beautiful black borders, mostly chip free! Sadly centering wasn't the best, but there are a few stunners in these. But no major stars :(

All cards shown below:

Pack 1

Pack 2

Scott - Hope you find a nicely centered Hannah in tomorrow's rip.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    edited December 17, 2016 1:22AM

Day 3 - A beat up (by loose gum) PSA 8 '74 pack is next up.

Mostly off center stuff here :(, minor star, 2 centered cards with the best one with wax on the back, a Brown no less.

How about a nicely centered Brett tomorrow???

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Nice Charlie Hall, Scott...us Browns fans will remember him as a pretty darn good linebacker...

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...

Cmon Fouts

edited December 17, 2016 1:31AM

@CSUrunandstun said:
    Nice Charlie Hall, Scott...us Browns fans will remember him as a pretty darn good linebacker...

Yep, I was just becoming a Browns fan near the end of his career.

Unfortunately, it was the wax card (on back) so no chance of upgrading my 8.

Day 4 - One pack '75 wax from BBCE in '14

A few nice and centered cards in this pack. No stars. All cards shown below:

• ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

@ssollars said:....No stars..............

Thanks a lot, now you made Hall of Famers Jimmy Johnson and Jack Youngblood cry.

Day 5 - First up 2 '79 wax packs form the Galena shop.

Pack 1 - Not bad, half the pack was centered nicely, no big hits though. All cards shown below:

Pack 2 - Very similar to the first, but with major hit! My first Campbell ever pulled, little off center but otherwise nice. All cards shown below:

Second up 1 '78 wax pack from eBay (I think)

Yet another nice pack with many well centered cards, including a very nice Payton highlight! All cards shown below:

Earl RC and Walter RB in same pack! Yahtzee. Fun pulls. Followed by another Payton in 78.

Wishing you continued success on the rest.

• baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

Nice pulls! Those are two of my favorite football sets, always love seeing sharp copies of them.

Keep 'em coming!

79s look very nice! Congrats on the Campbell pull!

Congrats on the hits! Now that's more like it. Hope the next few days are even better.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• That's a nice Payton RB and HL. Congrats, can't wait to see the rest.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE

Day 6 - First up 2 '80 wax from the Galena shop.

Pack 1 - A few nice cards, 2nd year Williams. All card shown below:

Pack 2 - A nice centered rookie Simms! A few other nice cards. All cards shown below:

Next a '77 wax I think I got from someone here.

A couple nice cards, but no hits.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭

boy Simms looks real nice

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited December 20, 2016 9:37PM

Day 7 - First up 2 '84 wax packs from the Galena Shop.

A few nice cards here but mostly off center and tilted stuff. All card shown below:
    Pack 1

Pack 2

Next up - 2 '81 wax packs from eBay (not a fun bag as stated originally).

Both these packs were horrible. Both had major corner damage (same corner too!) that effected all cards. Best pull was a Terry Bradshaw. Nothing worth scanning, no cards shown below :(

edited December 8, 2017 12:11AM

Day 8 - 1 '76 wax pack, my last one from a group I got of eBay a few years ago.

A few nice cards, including some HOFs but nothing too great. All cards shown below (via Photobucket)

Since the '81 were a bust yesterday, I dug into the stash and choose to open a '81 rack. I can't have a Christmas rip without posting some nice '81s!

Some nice cards, no major hits. I'll let the scans to the talking. All cards shown below:

Bottom Cell (farthest from header)

Middle Cell

Top Cell (next to header)

I hope the uploading is just the site acting up. I hope there isn't a "limit" on images in a thread?

Going back to doing it via Photobucket was a pita :)

The big boys start tomorrow!

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

You gotta love the 70's and 80's airbrushing. Thanks for sharing these rips.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Day 9 - One '70 wax pack (PSA 6) from eBay

Some real stunners in this pack! All cards except the gum card (ST) (Warfield) were is great shape. Some start power here too, but nothing too major. No glossy card in this pack either, had that happen before! All cards shown below:

Beautiful 1970 cards!

edited November 21, 2017 5:00PM

Day 10 - A '72 2nd series wax pack (GAI 8)

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!! So close to an epic pull. The good, for the second time I've pulled a RC Staubach from a pack. The bad, although not as miscut as the first one I pulled a few years ago, this one is at least the right size but is extremely off-center. The cards in this pack were is great shape other than the centering, pretty typical for '72s. One really nicely centered card, a John Unitas PA card, and a couple other with acceptable centering. All cards shown below:

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Can I see the back of that blanda? That card has a particular tough back. All 3 10s PSA total pop I have seen and they have the same PD. I think the top left corner is touched? If not then is the centering top to bottom close?

Thanks.

I don't see any printing issues on the back.

IMG.jpg 209.1K
  • Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Awsome pull on Staubach :) It is a shame about the centerning :'( That is a sharp looking Blanda!

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2016 1:33AM

@ssollars said:
    I don't see any printing issues on the back.

You have very little if any. Just a tad above Chi in between year and Team. This card is really really bad. Just look at this PSA 9 back as example. It is highest graded on ebay right now, but trust me the 3- 10s all have these brown lines and scribbles also as well as in between the 39 and 16 usually a splotch. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Topps-135-George-Blanda-RAIDERS-PSA-MINT-9-/332007115432?hash=item4d4d2a8aa8:g:mO4AAOSw8gVYBspe

edited November 21, 2017 5:02PM

Day 11 - One '63 wax pack in '62 style wrapper from eBay. This (and one other) pack has a long history that was posted here at one time but got removed. Won't repeat the story, except to say at one time this was in a PSA 8 holder and now it's not! I originally bought them to open, so here goes...

Although the the cards are all in great shape (love those chip free borders), centering hurt this pack. Did pull a decent Mitchell, a little OC and some with some kind of teethed rolled damage of the front :(.

All cards shown below:

edited December 25, 2016 7:39PM

Day 12 - Merry Christmas Everyone!!

To end this year's rips I've chosen the '60s cello pack that potentially has the biggest card of the 1960 set based on the sequencing. The pack didn't disappoint, although it could have been soooo much better.

This pack yielded stunning cards and great centering for the most part!! Less than a 1/16 of an each could have made this rip so much more interesting when sending that big card to PSA! It still may have a shot at an 8, the centering is just inside the criteria for an 8, Enough teasing, here are all the cards:

My only worry in the bottom right corner, hopefully they don't deem it MC or trimmed :worried:

Thanks for watching another great year of carnage.

Until next year...

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas day and a safe and happy new year.

Scott

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2016 1:22PM

Damn that pitiful quality control (or lack thereof) of Topps back in the day!! :s