Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

so I TOO decided to open a 58 football cello pack!!! (Grades Posted)

ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 11, 2018 8:33PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
After seeing packCollector's rip of a 58 cello pack, I got inspired and searched eBay for an affordable one that I would be willing to bust and get it for myself for Christmas! I found one and got it for around $300 and received it just before Christmas (along with another two '72 packs). After admiring it for almost two weeks, it just had to be opened.

Being a Cleveland fan, '58 Topps is of course near and dear to me and just the thought of pulling a Brown made this one of the funnest packs I've every ripped. I can't say I pulled a Brown, but the pack did have a couple surprises!

Here is the pack... Only a PSA 4 probably due to the upper right corner being dinged up and couple small tears.

FYI -The cards are not being posted in the order they were in the pack.

First up are the cards most affected by that dinged corner and those that were off center.

There were two really nice centered commons... One with a slight ding to that corner and the other pretty sharp!

Then we have first of the HOFers (which I had never heard of)

and then there was this guy, a little off center but otherwise very nice

and lastly there was this gem...

I haven't had a rush like that from opening a pack since I pulled my Payton from a cello a few years ago.

5 of these will be heading out west shortly.

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Very nice rip image
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭
    you never heard of Chuck Bednarik?

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • nice job
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    Good job!
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Incredible!

thank you for taking the time to share with us
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • very nice
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Mike McCormack is a HOF'er too.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Starr, Bednarik and Berry in the same cello. Nice!

"Molon Labe"

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Technically you pulled TWO Bart Starr cards from the same pack. (team card) Nice hits!!
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    That Berry is sick. 8.5 maybe.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Nice job. Love to see these old pack rips.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike McCormack is a HOF'er too. >>

Yep, overlooked that one since it was OC and had registration issues. It would have been nice to have pulled a nice Cleveland card for my collection.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    great stuff! any one else want to join the fun, I think I know where you might be able to find a pack or twoimage
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! Go buy some lottery tickets NOW!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

<< <i>great stuff! any one else want to join the fun, I think I know where you might be able to find a pack or twoimage >>

YEEEEE HAAAAA!!
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    duncan, methinks jeffcbay misunderstood you image
  • Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME!!! CONGRATS!!!! image
  • NIce cards, thanks for sharing. The big ones were centered reasonably. So a Unitas and a Starr....who is going for the Jim Brown?
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    I'd hate for Bart Star to recieve an (OC).

It's a great card with great eye appeal.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    the starr is probably a 7, sgc 86 or potentially a 9oc. not sure which is best.

I posted the last of my psa 6 cellos for sale on the bst board if anyone is looking to have a little fun. I may have a 2 - 5's available but waiting to here back from someone
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    4 hall of famers,Not bad at all.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Nice rip! It looks like the centering improved as you got deeper into the cello.

I'm amazed at how many o/c, out of focus, print defected cards were produced by
    Topps in the '58 Football set. Their quality control really sucked. The cardboard
    stock used was thick but kind of soft. It's the same for '58 Topps Basketball and Hockey.

To find a centered gem like your Ray Berry second year card above, is a rarity.
    I hope you do well with your grades if you plan on sending any in to PSA.

<< <i>duncan, methinks jeffcbay misunderstood you image >>

oops... lol

<< <i>Nice rip! It looks like the centering improved as you got deeper into the cello. >>

Yep, the centering (and corners) were best just beyond the middle of the pack and then went bad again at the end.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun rip and thanks for sharing. Is that print snow on Berry's jersey or is it an artifact of the scan?
  • When I see things like that I wonder how anyone has the self-control NOT to break open old packs! My son would love to track down some old baseball packs for the sole purpose of opening them. Best I could do was grab him a '79 Topps as part of his stocking-stuff for Christmas.

Great pull though. I love threads like this!
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    that is a fun rip my friend--Merry Christmas to you!!
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget that Billy Howton is a potential Seniors Committee selection in the future (he broke several of Hutson's career receiving records).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    Grades are in on 5 of the cards from this pack...

1958 TOPPS 21 BOB BOYD................8
    1958 TOPPS 35 CHUCK BEDNARIK....6
    1958 TOPPS 66 BART STARR..............6
    1958 TOPPS 98 MILT DAVIS...............7
    1958 TOPPS 120 RAYMOND BERRY.....8

Here were the others in the sub, a few Browns I had laying around and a Johnny U from a recent 72 pack rip.

1972 TOPPS 165 JOHN UNITAS..........7
    1961 TOPPS 68 MILT PLUM................7
    1961 TOPPS 72 MIKE McCORMACK....6
    1954 BOWMAN 84 JOHN BAUER........8
    1954 BOWMAN 99 HARRY JAGADE.....5
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Not bad at all.....solid pack.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Very solid considering the pack was a VG-EX 4
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!! I was thinking of ripping one as well....would you do it again?
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Nice grades, especially on the Berry! image
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    WOW ! Congratulations on the grade results! Thanks for sharing.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).

<< <i>Awesome!! I was thinking of ripping one as well....would you do it again? >>

Yep, I would definitely rip another one. Not very often @ $300-$500+ a pack but I think it's a good gamble, the odds of pulling at least one HOFer are pretty high!
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Congrat's on a nice rip!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Very nice results indeed!!!

BTW, the grade on the pack does not correspond to the cards inside, but the pack itself such as if it has any rips or tears, etc. Picking up a lower grade unopened cello pack is usually the way to go as the higher grade ones sell for more of a premium. The key is to look at the centering of the cards showing although we all know that centering can be all of the place in the same pack. Still a good indicator though. Obviously, if the pack has major corner damage, that will lower the grade as well and not be worth cracking open. Just some more food for thought.

Again congrats on a great rip!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.