Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

12 days of Christmas Carnage II (Grades Posted w/scans)

ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
It's that time a year again to break out my stash that's been growing over the year and pick out 12 days worth of ripping material! I'm going to break slightly from "tradition" a NOT rip a '58 cello this year. Instead I'll be opening a 1960 cello that I have high hopes will yield some good HOFs! This year I'll also be busting my first Philadelphia pack. This will be my biggest rip ever with over $1500 worth of packs being busted and that doesn't include the bonus rip this weekend image

The official kick-off of the carnage will start on Sunday the 14th

As a glutton for punishing pack rips, I recently purchased another pack on my quest to pull a Jimmy Brown from a pack. This one however is not a '58 but a '59 cello that my limited knowledge of those packs tells me there my be one in there! So, as a bonus to my 12 days of Christmas rips I'll be busting that pack this weekend (Friday 5th).

The following is the current list packs scheduled to meet their destiny...

1 - 1959 Topps Cello (possible Brown!)

1 - 1960 Topps Cello (possible Taylor, Gifford & Huff)
1 - 1966 Philadelphia Wax
1 - 1974 Topps Wax w/Checklist
1 - 1976 Topps Wax
1 - 1977 Topps Wax
3 - 1978 Topps Wax
1 - 1979 Topps Wax Tray
1 - 1980 Topps Wax Rack ('79 Wrappers)
2 - 1980 Topps Wax
1 - 1981 Topps Rack
2 - 1981 Topps Wax
2 - 1982 Topps Wax
3 - 1983 Topps Cello
3 - 1983 Topps Wax
3 - 1984 Topps Wax
3 - 1985 Topps Wax
2 - 1986 Topps Wax
3 - 1987 Topps Wax

Here is the ripping schedule...

01 - 14 - (050) 3-1985 Topps Wax, 3-1987 Topps Wax, 2-1982 Topps Wax
02 - 15 - (045) 3-1983 Topps Cello, 3-1983 Topps Wax
03 - 16 - (036) 1980 Topps Wax ('79 Wrappers) Rack, 2-1980 Wax
04 - 17 - (042) 2-1986 Topps Wax
05 - 18 - (063) 3-1984 Topps Wax
06 - 19 - (084) 3-1978 Topps Wax
07 - 20 - (075) 1979 Topps Wax Tray
08 - 21 - (102) 1981 Topps Rack, 2-1981 Wax
09 - 22 - (080) 1974 Topps Wax w/Checklist
10 - 23 - (165) 1976 Topps Wax, 1977 Topps Wax
11 - 24 - (300) 1966 Philadelphia Wax
12 - 25 - (500) 1960 Topps Cello (possible Taylor, Gifford & Huff)

It's going to be wild ride...

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have slobber all over my keyboard. This is going to be killer...
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Holy Smokes!!! This is gonna be good.

Great stuff on the menu.

Looking forward to a main course sized appetizer on Friday.

Good luck on the Jimmy Brown!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    The cello will be fun. The Philly pack I recommend keeping unopened. I believe there were only 4 cards in my pack or something.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding group to rip...this is going to be fun!
  • Options
    mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see the results! Wishing you sharp corners and nice centering all around.

------
    stupid print dots

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Bring on the carnage! Good luck!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    It's a shame when people be busting these old beauties. But I really like seeing what's inside. Can't wait.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with the rips, Scott!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    good luck cant wait to see the results
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like fun.
    Good luck!

Robb
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with rips. And "May the odds be ever in your favor."
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Scott ... can't wait to follow this thread. BEST OF LUCK! After you RIP the '59 on 12/5/14, PLEASE rip the rest in the REVERSE order that you have them listed!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott ... can't wait to follow this thread. BEST OF LUCK! After you RIP the '59 on 12/5/14, PLEASE rip the rest in the REVERSE order that you have them listed!!! >>

Yes image, I'll be posting a schedule when I post the picture of all the packs and although it won't be exactly in reverse order of the original post, the 66 will be Christmas Eve and the 60 will be Christmas Day.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Scott - looking forward to it - they're always entertaining, since I haven't ripped anything since the Reagan administration. image
    Mike
  • Options
    Scan of '59 Cello added to original post along with a photo of the Christmas packs!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 6:54PM
    The bonus pre-Christmas rip is complete! and.....

A Jimmy was pulled!!!!!, not anywhere near as nice as the one handyman pulled early this year but my quest has been fulfilled image

This 1959 Cello yielded a few nice cards but most were either tilted or slightly mis-cut or both image

The Jimmy is right on the borderline of being mis-cut but I've seen similar ones grade in the 5 - 6 range.

Here are the scans...

• Options
    Nice pack Scott! Congrats on the Jimmy! I just picked one of those up recently and also saw more than a few with 5-6 grades on "a little off the top" like this. What a fun pull. I like the Browns card too and the Ringo.

Looking forward to some of the other goodness coming next week.
  • Options
    Great rip! Never go wrong with Jimmy and the Ringo is sweet. The brettschneider is hard on the eyes, no? Lol
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 6:56PM
    << <i>Nice pack Scott! Congrats on the Jimmy! I just picked one of those up recently and also saw more than a few with 5-6 grades on "a little off the top" like this. What a fun pull. I like the Browns card too and the Ringo.

Looking forward to some of the other goodness coming next week. >>

I wonder if the Browns pennant card would grade with that tiny bit of someones head showing on the right edge?
  • Options
    I missed that. They were working with tight tolerances letting the heads go over the natural border. I imagine that's a tough set in high grade.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC Dick Nolan coached the 49ers and Jim Ringo coached the Buffalo Bills. I too will be watching the ripping of these packs. Good Luck.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pull, can't wait to watch the rest! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice pack Scott! Congrats on the Jimmy! I just picked one of those up recently and also saw more than a few with 5-6 grades on "a little off the top" like this. What a fun pull. I like the Browns card too and the Ringo.

Looking forward to some of the other goodness coming next week. >>

I wonder if the Browns pennant card would grade with that tiny bit of someones head showing on the right edge? >>

The first thing I thought of was could that be the top of Jimmy's head? Does anyone know the sheet layout to know?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The first thing I thought of was could that be the top of Jimmy's head? Does anyone know the sheet layout to know? >>

I don't think it can be his head, since his head is slightly to the left side of the card. It doesn't line up.
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Love that Brown card! Makes him look like a giant among men.

Cant wait to watch you rip the other packs!! Thanks for sharing, John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    edited December 8, 2017 11:30PM
    Day 1 - No major hits among the '82, '85 or '87 packs

Lots of off center and tilted cards in the '82 and '87 packs. Centering wasn't bad on the '85 but most had edge and corner issues with those beautiful black borders!

Here was the best of the bunch...

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    1 day down 11 days to go. Keep up the RIPPING Scott! All the bad cards are going to be in the inexpensive packs!!!! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Great hit on the Jimmy. Too bad on the centering. Good luck the rest of the way.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Holy cow, it's gonna be a rip-roarin' good time! image Thanks for sharing the results so far, best of luck with the rest.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 11:31PM
    Day 2 - I knew these '83 were not going to yield much. The 3 cellos came from a full box a opened a couple years ago and set a few aside to open later. These brought back bad memories of how bad the box was! Lots of centering and tilts in those cellos and the wax pack were pretty rough, looks like they had been banged around at some point, the couple nice cards either had corner issues, gum or wax!!

Here are the few highlights...
  • Options
    Digging the bradshaw. Thanks for an awesome thread!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 11:32PM
    Day 3 - Pretty consistent results so far, 5 packs of '80 wax yielded a couple OC stars and a handful of nice commons.

Here are the best of the bunch...
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 11:35PM
    Day 4 - The quest to pull a Rice continues...

Decent star power in these two packs but none worth subbing.

Here is the best of the 2 packs:

at first glance I though this could be a subber, but it's slightly tilted and a couple corners are touched image
  • Options
    Love the Fridge card! Always nice to see.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 11:36PM
    Day 5 - '84 packs yielded the typical hodgepodge of off center and tilted cards along with some printing issue on quite a few of them (as seen on the Jackson). It did however yield some great start power, an off center Montana and a slightly off center MARINO!!!!!

One pack had a wrapped stick of gum, still flexible.... I'm tempted to try it image

Here is the scan...
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice hit image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Wrapped stick of gum? Never saw that in 1984 packs. Anyone have information on that?
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Scott,

Congrats on the Marino! O/C but still at thrill to pull, I bet!

Jeremy
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the entertainment!

Congrats on some nice pulls and good luck the rest of the way!
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Score! Way to go, and thanks for sharing as always.
  • Options

<< <i>Wrapped stick of gum? Never saw that in 1984 packs. Anyone have information on that? >>

I know, I've see those wrapped sticks before from packs I busted from one of the group breaks but I can't remember if they were '84s or not.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 11:37PM
    Day 6 - '78 packs were awesome! No real star power, but centering was fantastic and yielded a dozen or so nicely centered cards. Sadly all three "gum" cards were also centered great image

Here are the best including the Payton Highlight...
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 11:39PM
    Day 7 - Since I won't have time to make a post tomorrow (Sat) night, I went ahead a ripped the '79 wax tray! As with the '78s these 3 '79 packs yielded a lot of nice cards including a couple nice stars as well. No Campbell, although I did get a leaders card with him on it.

Here are the best...
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Those 78s and 79s do look good. Congrats on the Marino.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    Really digging the Payton/Campbell leaders card!
  • Options
    I love that Payton/Campbell card. Some sharp cards there.

Congrats on the Marino too.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 11:40PM
    Day 8 - I was weaned on things packs as a kid and it's one of my favorite sets. There was a lot of nice cards in these packs but only one star, an OC Monk rookie. Back in the day, that Monk seemed to be the most elusive among me and my trading friends.

Here is the best...
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2017 11:42PM
    Day 9 - A '74 pack from the last group break here on the boards was pretty much a complete bust! All commons and only 3 decent cards with one being OC and another with a print line. Bottom half of the pack was mostly miscut! checklist has gum damage

Here is the top half...

Here is the bottom half
  • Options
    The best part of that pack is Winston Hill's hair and sideburns.