Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

December Pickups

124»

Comments

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2017 8:43AM

Here is another favorite Pop 1 Judge. Is it Spring yet? Miss baseball! Gonna hit this coffee then spend the morning hitting!

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Been hitting some modern recently but excited about this vintage pickup from a few months ago. I had not shared and was waiting until I got it freshly re-holdered.

I have always thought this card is one of the most iconic in collecting not only because it is a HOF Rookie of an All Time Great but the overall look, design, color and goalie image of this card makes it a Hockey Masterpiece to me.

Congrats that is an amazing card. Ive always liked the '71 design myself. Always preferred the term waffle to blocker. Great image.

Kevin

Kevin

• aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Latest pickups.

aconte

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a gorgeous Kaline Rookie!

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Got this in the mail today, will send to PSA soon.

@Brick said:
    What a gorgeous Kaline Rookie!

Thank you!

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with Ralph, very nice Kaline rookie. The 64 ain't too shabby either. Why is the 54 only a PSA 4?
    James

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool auto and cool card. Classic Drexler action shot.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much great stuff to look at - thanx guys.

I can't compete with James - he just keeps coming up with great 63F's.

This is a centering upgrade for me.

Mike
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hyperchipper09 said:
    Gift card use on eBay. Arrives after Christmas but no biggie here. Whenever I get a gift card or cash and use it on cards I try my best to get something that
    "looks" like a Christmas gift. Something I'll have no trouble displaying or holding onto for another 30-40 years. :) . Plus this kind of dunk is what initially drew me to The Glide B)

Being a State fan, I prefer this dunk ;)

• Finished my Burger King Autograph Catfish Hunter run with the '77 this week.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added a couple of Stadium Club 90's inserts of MJ for the future sub pile.

@hyperchipper09 Love the photo on the Clyde card! Late 80s and early 90s were the only years I followed the NBA. Loved me some Lakers vs Celtics on Sega!

These will be my last pickups of the year. I have an odd situation with one of the cards. Have you ever bought a card that made you feel dirty? Not that kind of dirty you sickos (yeah @OddRodz I'm looking at you here ;) ). I'm talking about a card where you freely admit to buying the holder and not the card? Well I did here for sure. The 1975 OPC Team Leaders #315 is a 10 Pop 1 so I bought it for that reason alone. The card has some serious tilt going on along with 38/62 T/B and 41/59 L/R by my generous measurements I wont even get into the soft looking upper left corner. I admit it was strictly purchased for set registry purposes. Whhhhhhh..... I feel a bit better after getting that off my chest.

All of these are for my 70's Sabres run except the last which was just a nice 3 color The Cup RC Patch for Eichel.

Kevin

Kevin

you freely admit to buying the holder and not the card?

I'm sure you won't wind up in "PSA jail" Kevin.

As usual some really nice Sabers cards.

Happy New Year buddy.

Mike
  • JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the ideal PSA 10 on the 75 OPC but when it is a POP 1 you do what you got to do for the registry. Congrats on some nice pickups.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ban him.

Arthur

@Stone193 said:

you freely admit to buying the holder and not the card?

I'm sure you won't wind up in "PSA jail" Kevin.

As usual some really nice Sabers cards.

Happy New Year buddy.

Thanks Mike thought I might need to start an alt account moving forward ;) . I hope you too have a Happy New Year!

Kevin

Kevin

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this Black 6/10 for xmas, pop 1

myslabs.to/smzcards

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Closes down my month here(I think). In January I may wait till the end of the month before posting in the thread so I'm not clogging things up with my posts. First LeBron card for me, and one of the newer cards in my collection. Didn't want anything that would break the bank, just wanted a really nice looking rookie :)

My last addition of 2017 arrived last night with a cracked slab unfortunately. Luckily no damage to the card.

• AaronfromKyAaronfromKy Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited December 29, 2017 6:01PM

@aconte said:
    Latest pickups.

aconte

I'm rather curious on the PSA 4? It looks gorgeous! And are you the Sewall on ebay?

My final pickups for 2017.

• BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

picked up a Jim Brown for my running back collecdtion.......im happy with the 2.5.......

1964 Topps Football
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Kaline rookie!

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Blackie said:

picked up a Jim Brown for my running back collecdtion.......im happy with the 2.5.......

Looks good! Clean border, off center but not distractingly so, and a pretty clear image for a low grade card that is in the discussion for 'most iconic football card'.

Love it

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@Blackie said:

Looks good! Clean border, off center but not distractingly so, and a pretty clear image for a low grade card that is in the discussion for 'most iconic football card'.

Love it

Thanks my brother I love it! May upgrade someday but for now im super happy.

1964 Topps Football
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dirt from the game is on the base; love it!

edited December 29, 2017 11:16PM

Thank you!

I bought it off Sewell on ebay so that was his scan I used. It is a beautiful card in my opinion as it looks to have a small
    finger indentation on the right edge.

@AaronfromKy said:

@aconte said:
    Latest pickups.

aconte

I'm rather curious on the PSA 4? It looks gorgeous! And are you the Sewall on ebay?

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Dirt from the game is on the base; love it!

I'm not much of a fan of all the endless paches on cards and stuff but the dirt on the base is a total game changer for me. That card is awesome. Congrats on the pickup!

Arthur

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

These came in over the last few days. With the addition of the 63 O'Dell, I now need 3 cards to complete the 63 Fleer set. The 56 Topps are for my PSA 8 HOF set.
    James

I don't have #66 yet James - very nice card - the centering for that card is just about as good as it gets buddy.

Happy New Year.

Mike
  • hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Final add, won't be here till January. But a possible HOF'er a few years down the line, won it for $5, why not :) . I've enjoyed seeing everyone's pick ups :) . The Jim Brown is great.

I thought my pickups were done for the year, but this came a few days early!

I didn't expect this one to arrive until next week. What a nice little surprise on New Year's Eve to find this on my front porch...

1937 Wheaties - Series 8 - Joe DiMaggio

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• @LOTSOS said:

@UFFDAH said:
    Been hitting some modern recently but excited about this vintage pickup from a few months ago. I had not shared and was waiting until I got it freshly re-holdered.

I have always thought this card is one of the most iconic in collecting not only because it is a HOF Rookie of an All Time Great but the overall look, design, color and goalie image of this card makes it a Hockey Masterpiece to me.

Congrats that is an amazing card. Ive always liked the '71 design myself. Always preferred the term waffle to blocker. Great image.

Kevin

Just read about this on Blowout. Sorry.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pizzathehut said:

@LOTSOS said:

@UFFDAH said:

Kevin

Just read about this on Blowout. Sorry.

Saw that too - To be hit twice like this is simply not fair. Hope you are made whole.

• 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crazy that the Dryden was coloured in.

I bet Brent claimed no knowledge or provenance on this one as well, even though his buddy Moser bought it, coloured it in, regraded and sent back for consignment?

Can’t even imagine how many high grade altered cards moser and PWCC have moved the last decade, tens of millions of dollars worth.

• LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Moderator, I kindly suggest to you to please close this thread. The impacted party and the rest of us have other avenues to gather our information, such as other threads/boards.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2019 6:16AM

@LGC said:
    Moderator, I kindly suggest to you to please close this thread. The impacted party and the rest of us have other avenues to gather our information, such as other threads/boards.

I agree, but for different reasons. The person who bumped this thread has 8 posts and it feels to me like he did so simply to rub salt in the victim’s wounds.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

I don’t know, it was nice to see that Joe DiMaggio Wheaties Panel...looks even better once I cleaned up the borders and had it graded (highest):

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    I didn’t bump the thread but I disagree that this shouldn’t be shared. Why is everyone so keen to move on from this? The buyer has recourse, he will not get burned. And it is clearly not his fault, he was misled.

Amazing how anxious folks seem to be for this to go away. I am glad PSA is allowing these discussions but completely confused as to why significant members of this community would rather we all just let this slide. We are talking thousands of high end altered, representing 10s of millions in total sales volume.

For anyone not understanding, the Dryden represents the ability for a card doctor to micro colour in small blemishes to improve tone, remove snow etc. This is not a guy with a marker working on 71’s. Its a significant development, how many of your cards would bump of you could just fill in a print spot, fix a border, or remove snow?

As a hobby are we really just going to let this all slide because the conversation is difficult?

@LGC said:

Absolutely not going to let it slide and don’t want the conversations to stop. I think I’ve been consistent in saying that all the card doctoring, and the shill bidding, is completely reprehensible and that PWCC should be shut down and Brent placed in federal prison, in my opinion. I was simply, in this case only, questioning the motives of the bumper.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@80sOPC said:
    Can’t even imagine how many high grade altered cards moser and PWCC have moved the last decade, tens of millions of dollars worth.

Someone over in the '52 Mantle PWCC auction thread on Blowout has been keeping track of just the value gained after the alterations by Moser then sold through PWCC and the total for just that one thread is up to $589,217.

This discussion has been closed.