Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

December Pickups

DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 1, 2017 10:33AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

So pumped over this Babe Ruth.

Long wanted a 1927 Ruth, a year of issue that symbolizes two big things in baseball history: Murderer's Row and the 60HR season.

The York Caramel is special in that it provides the collector with a third historical dimension: Ruth is pictured as a pitcher on the Red Sox.

Red Sox Ruth images are few and far between in our hobby. For me, any card that connects to that famous trade connects to a seminal moment in the game, one that turned the tides of history for the Yankee franchise.

I had also observed the aggressive uptick in prices for pre-1933 Ruth cards, over the past year or so. Most recently a 1928 Harrington's reach the 5k mark in a relatively unheralded Bagger's Auction. Perhaps most fortunately, while so many Ruths, from the e121 to the Harringtons, were hitting new highs at auction, the York Caramel was the one that had yet to surface for sale during this period. So I wanted to land one before the next one auctioned off in the right venue, namely the likes of an REA or Heritage.

This is an admittedly high grade (the highest PSA graded is 5), yet could not resist the overall presentation. And with so few in any grade and so many of the 1s and 2s being really marred, did not want to wait out a unicorn with the same front and some back damage.

There is a unique feeling to holding an early Red Sox Ruth image, one that kids or fans held in their hands way back when The Babe was in his prime.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pickup. There are a few low grade York's on ebay that have been up for what seems like forever. Also, PSA has graded two 5's. I can't believe a Harrington's went for $5k. What grade was it?

Arthur

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 10:36AM

Thanks. Here is the 1928 Harrington's link below. Went for $5635 all in. That's right on the pop report, thx, will correct.

https://www.baggersauctions.com/PDTL.jsp?auctionID=30&lotNumber=36&JSessionId=1440AA409867B40E972131A39FFFC90F

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Nice presenter and really cool card! :-)

• Options

That;s insane. I wonder why it never made it to VCP. Actually, that's not that surprising. VCP has really been dropping the ball lately. The Harrington's is one of the more common Ruth's from that period, just insane to see one go for that kind of money. Of the four F50's, Harrington's is easily the most available. You could get a much more difficult brand for less

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 2:19PM

Wow on both the Ruth & MJ,gorgeous centering on both. Pretty hard to follow after those two but i added a couple scoring kings of the Scoring King.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cards fellas!! Cheers!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice addition to my set. I hope it grades out well...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Looks to be another month of monster cardboard pickups. That 69 Bench looks GEM to me :) !

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice way to start of December! Great centering on the Wilt, Bench, Staubach, et cetera, et cetera!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet start to the month.
    DM23HOF: That Ruth is outstanding and a great write-up to boot! Congrats!!!

TheMick: That 69 Bench looks to be a bump candidate to me. Great pickup and by far my favorite card of him. Was that an Ebay purchase?

Largent: The Wilt rookie is awesome congrats.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    So pumped over this Babe Ruth.

Long wanted a 1927 Ruth, a year of issue that symbolizes two big things in baseball history: Murderer's Row and the 60HR season.

The York Caramel is special in that it provides the collector with a third historical dimension: Ruth is pictured as a pitcher on the Red Sox.

Red Sox Ruth images are few and far between in our hobby. For me, any card that connects to that famous trade connects to a seminal moment in the game, one that turned the tides of history for the Yankee franchise.

I had also observed the aggressive uptick in prices for pre-1933 Ruth cards, over the past year or so. Most recently a 1928 Harrington's reach the 5k mark in a relatively unheralded Bagger's Auction. Perhaps most fortunately, while so many Ruths, from the e121 to the Harringtons, were hitting new highs at auction, the York Caramel was the one that had yet to surface for sale during this period. So I wanted to land one before the next one auctioned off in the right venue, namely the likes of an REA or Heritage.

This is an admittedly high grade (the highest PSA graded is 5), yet could not resist the overall presentation. And with so few in any grade and so many of the 1s and 2s being really marred, did not want to wait out a unicorn with the same front and some back damage.

There is a unique feeling to holding an early Red Sox Ruth image, one that kids or fans held in their hands way back when The Babe was in his prime.

Great pickup. I always enjoy when people take the time to give a little burb about the card. Especially since if it isn’t hockey I’m lost.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options

@JBrules said:
    Sweet start to the month.
    DM23HOF: That Ruth is outstanding and a great write-up to boot! Congrats!!!

TheMick: That 69 Bench looks to be a bump candidate to me. Great pickup and by far my favorite card of him. Was that an Ebay purchase?

Largent: The Wilt rookie is awesome congrats.

Thanks David!! You (your collection is amazing, and look forward to every post), DM23HOF, and Begsu have really inspired me in my collecting. I have moved to collecting (vintage) cards that I have always wanted and they DON'T need to be 10's to look awesome.

Tim
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

It's a really nice card but I think it is graded properly. When you look up real close, it's more like an 8 than a 9. The card was listed on Ebay but I went direct to the seller's website and got the card 15% cheaper, though I think I still overpaid a little bit. I'm not a big fan of multiplayer cards. I like this card much better than his rookie card.

• Options

@TheMick said:

@JBrules said:

It's a really nice card but I think it is graded properly. When you look up real close, it's more like an 8 than a 9. The card was listed on Ebay but I went direct to the seller's website and got the card 15% cheaper, though I think I still overpaid a little bit. I'm not a big fan of multiplayer cards. I like this card much better than his rookie card.

All my cards look under graded to me, over time and looking over them multiple times under proper lighting I'll find the flaw that caused the grade. I still have a few I think need bumps, and I also have some gifts mixed in.

Tim
  • Options

This thread is on fire. I absolutely love the '93 Ultra Jordan. I remember ripping those packs and those Scoring Leaders cards look so much better in person than in a scan. Awesome pickup and thanks for the trip down memory lane!

That Staubach rookie is sweeeeet! I don't collect vintage football and that card makes me want to own one. You have a great eye, my friend.

James, that Clemente Stand Up is too nice. I can't think of anybody that consistently avoids sliders more than you. The fact that you do it with so many sets at once is really impressive. I've gotten to the point where I really look forward to your new acquisition posts because I know I'm going to see something that lives up to your high standards. Thanks for sharing!

Arthur

• Options

When James posts cards, I feel and hear the Billy Joel classic lyric*

If it's in James collection (a very generous guy, BTW) you can count on it being sharp as a razors edge.

*JFK, blown away, what else do I have to say?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:
    Here are my recent purchases. I'm not happy with the scans since I set up my new computer. I'm gonna have to work on getting better quality scans. The 63 Fleer Mays and the 64 Stand-ups are for my sets. The 69 Rose All Star is an upgrade from the an 8. The 68 Super Stars is just a nice card that I wanted
    James

James, your pickups never cease to amaze. I bet your collection is amazing. Look forward to seeing more.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great cards all around, This just came in this morning.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I always try to buy fairly well centered cards with nice eye appeal. I have another nice card that should be here Monday. It is an upgrade to one of my sets.

James

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2017 2:51PM

I'd load mine in but it was a 500+ card collection from ebay for $45 . the cards date back to 1958 and the newest was 1991 . range from good to mint in condidtion.. i might load a few scans of the old ones

• Options

@slimies said:
    I'd load mine in but it was a 500+ card collection from ebay for $45 . the cards date back to 1958 and the newest was 1991 . range from good to mint in condidtion.. i might load a few scans of the old ones

How about whichever ones you like the most?

I've seen Garbage Pail Kids on here that had the same effect on me as the 84T Mattingly. I like seeing all different stuff. Somebody had some old late 80s DonRuss the other days and Started drooling. That is the fun! And that, namely, is time travel. I hold that card in my hand (or see someone's post), the grays disappear from my whiskers, my eyes get significantly wider and I am somehow 10 years old again outside the local card shop with my bike chained to the fence on the side of the card store...

• Options
    edited December 2, 2017 7:29PM

heres a scan of some of them.. the baseball are from the 500+ box and the hockey are from another box

• Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

I was able to aquire this card for my 94 finest refractor psa set.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

I picked up some raw items for my 1969 Topps football set. Down to 72 left to complete the set!

Trying to get them in NM or NM-MT. The Cadile is very tough and the Robinson seems to sell well, so was happy to land those.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Rice refractor, I love that set!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

prgsdw, those are very nice looking 69 raw pickups. Good luck with the set.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@prgsdw said:
    I picked up some raw items for my 1969 Topps football set. Down to 72 left to complete the set!

Trying to get them in NM or NM-MT. The Cadile is very tough and the Robinson seems to sell well, so was happy to land those.

I finished the set in PSA 8 and up around 2011. I ended up breaking it up and selling it off but I love the set. Those look exceptional.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2017 8:24PM

got a new bundle of cards coming in . hopefully ill be able to post them in the dec. batch if not ill post some of them in the Jan pick ups.. 1800 cards for $59. includes Bill Buckner, Dave Kingman, Don Mattingly, Mike Schmidt, Cal Ripken, Dave Winfield, Steve Carlton,Reggie Jackson, Kirby Puckett, Pete Rose, Dwight Gooden, Bucky Dent, Dave Parker, George Foster, Pedro Guerrero, Minnie Minoso, Barry Bonds, Tony Gwynn, Roger Clemens, Gaylord Perry, Cesar Geronimo, Joe Torre, Al Hrabosky, Lou Brock, Tom McGraw, Rod Carew, Jim Rice, Fred Lynn ,Vada Pinson, Lou Brock , Gil Hodges , etc.

• Options
    edited December 3, 2017 8:35PM

@rexvos said:
    I finished the set in PSA 8 and up around 2011. I ended up breaking it up and selling it off but I love the set. Those look exceptional.

Thanks. It's a great set. All PSA 8 and above is impressive! Love the first series. I have 68 or 69 graded from the set, about half of those are 8.5s, twelve 9s and a 10 (Lilly). It's really enjoyable trying to find nice raw items. The hunt is fun. I had a complete graded Cowboys team set and broke it up and regretted it so much I decided to put the whole set together. Lol

Steve

• Options

Cool Griffey proof. Congrats.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

These were delivered today. With the addition of the 68 McCarver, I now have 15 of the 20 1968 All Star cards in PSA 10.
    James

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

That McCarver is stunning!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@Largentcollector said:
    I really like the look of that Griffey Jr. my favorite player as a kid. He and Jay Buhner walked right past me at the kingdome during some fan event outside before a game, that was awesome. I also got his autograph opening day 1990, Rickey Henderson led off the game with a HR to left and the A's crushed our pitching for like 10-13 runs.

I was finally able to track down a Maravich RC that I like that didn't have any tilt. Scan up.

Also landed this at a good price ended on Thanksgiving.

Sweet looking Pistol. Finding one without the tilt is not easy. Congrats. Nice standup Willie as well.

• Options

Congrats on the Maravich, great eye appeal.

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

@Largentcollector said:
    I really like the look of that Griffey Jr. my favorite player as a kid. He and Jay Buhner walked right past me at the kingdome during some fan event outside before a game, that was awesome. I also got his autograph opening day 1990, Rickey Henderson led off the game with a HR to left and the A's crushed our pitching for like 10-13 runs.

I was finally able to track down a Maravich RC that I like that didn't have any tilt. Scan up.

Also landed this at a good price ended on Thanksgiving.

Sweet looking Pistol. Finding one without the tilt is not easy. Congrats. Nice standup Willie as well.

Agreed Sweet Pistol! And many thanks for posting a pic of your pickup, just saved me big time on a PSA 6 that just ended. Comparing to your image, it was definitely short and looked to be possibly trimmed? The lower left bottom edgecorner had me running for the hills. Both lighthouse flips too. Again, great pickup and thanks for posting!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upgraded my Hank and got a “starter” ‘57 Mantle. :D

• Options

Oh dang those are crazy nice. Congrats!

Tim
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

This one should arrive today. There are only 25 of these that are graded higher than authentic and this is one of those 25 cards. This Hall of Fame QB was a Superbowl MVP twice, league MVP in 1966, made 4 pro bowls, and led his team to 5 championships. It's only a PSA 4 but looks fine to me. The card was a blue light special (less than $30).

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always appreciate a nice hand cut with great eye appeal regardless of the grade. Nice card!

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2017 7:49AM

continuing the football theme im on....like the card but may get replaced...not quite sure why i bought it..probably price

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

only got this to round out my '83s and in an auction it was way below the lowest vcp....i really feel these prices are about at the bottom (pigs get slaughtered is what I hear)

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

Seebelow, you're on fire. Great cards. I need to step up my game. Only thing I've picked up lately was an '88 Topps rack with McGwire on top.

Arthur

This discussion has been closed.