Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

December Pickups

Comments

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 2:25PM

Eye appeal is everything to me, especially when you're talking rare cards and even more so when you can confine most of the issues to the blank back. When you consider my passion for the Yankees, the place of the player in history and the fact that it is (by any reasonable standard) a rookie card, I am delighted to present my latest pickup:

1936 R312 Joe 'Di Magio*' DiMaggio:
    Updated 12/19 with clearer scans

*Guessing this would be one of the last times ANYONE would spell his last name wrong...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome score!!! Congrats.

• seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

KC...that 56 mick is sweet for a 5...why just a 5? congrats

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Largentcollector said:
    I just landed this beauty, I've been after this card for a long time.

Holy centering well done

Got this condition sensitive..1977 Mexican Topps card of the best LB of all time, of the Acereros

edited December 15, 2017 7:44AM

and one due to the price and don't really recall this card....but a cool picture.....of my favorite pitcher

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking good!

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• @Stone193 said:
    I can't compete with some of the great cards posted - this finally came in - there's a "flaw" in Morphy's shipping instructions - will deal with that later.

This corner of the front is pretty full - still working on the back - the holidays is keeping me from being diligent.

Wow looks amazing! Congrats.

A few new low grade vintage rookies.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I can't compete with some of the great cards posted - this finally came in - there's a "flaw" in Morphy's shipping instructions - will deal with that later.

This corner of the front is pretty full - still working on the back - the holidays is keeping me from being diligent.

One corner at a time Mike. Looking very, very nice. Really loving the whole transformation.

Kevin

Kevin

>

A few new low grade vintage rookies.

Want a little insight into how little I follow Baseball. I looked at this card and my first reaction was "1968! Holy Cow I didn't realize they wore hats backwards in 1968?" Upon further examination I figured it out. But...... yeah... not a Baseball guy.

Great adds. Is the Parker an OPC or a fury Topps?

Kevin

Kevin

• Want a little insight into how little I follow Baseball. I looked at this card and my first reaction was "1968! Holy Cow I didn't realize they wore hats backwards in 1968?" Upon further examination I figured it out. But...... yeah... not a Baseball guy.

Great adds. Is the Parker an OPC or a fury Topps?

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, yeah that is regular Topps. And to tell you the truth I don't know if catchers used hard helmets in 67 or not lol.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanx Ralph, Tim and Kevin.

Hiya Tim - the Yaz and Bench look great in a 5 - really nice centering buddy.

Mike
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Mike

Room looks great and nice additions.

Bench rookie in a 5 looks amazing - nice pickup.

KC

Mailman finally got by today. Those guys are running ragged this time of year.

Grabbed this 1985 OPC Pack as a learning tool. Plus who doesn't want a sealed pack with a Lemieux RC on Back! ;)

Did some playing around with the scans and can see what those of you who chimed in were talking about. There are several key areas that you can reference. The most prominent on this one being his elbow. I included a photo to show what I'm talking about. I'm going to go a bit farther later and see if if I can calculate centering. If its way off then forever sealed it shall stay. But...... If it is centered I might be more inclined to crack it and rip it! >:)>:)

Kevin

Kevin

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017 6:09AM

That is a top tier pack Kevin because an 8 card is worth a lot less than this pack IMO. I don't know how much you paid but I would guess further north of the PSA 8 card or you got a deal. ?

I would like to get a Gretzky RC pack one day. I thought my white whale was a Bird Magic, but I found one so now I want the Gretzky. I will accept Topps or OPC, lol. Since there is only 8 on the planet between them. I will accept adding the 9th as well.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well first, that's an awesome pack to own so a sincere congratulations to you sir. Second, anything I said about detecting cards inside packs was about raw packs. You're my hero if you can consistently detect players in slabbed packs. The half inch of plastic and inability to press down on the wax wrapper makes it nearly impossible.

Arthur

@secretstash said:
    That is a top tier pack Kevin because an 8 card is worth a lot less than this pack IMO. I don't know how much you paid but I would guess further north of the PSA 8 card or you got a deal. ?

I would like to get a Gretzky RC pack one day. I thought my white whale was a Bird Magic, but I found one so now I want the Gretzky. I will accept Topps or OPC, lol. Since there is only 8 on the planet between them. I will accept adding the 9th as well.

I think I did ok on it. It was more than an 8 but way less then a 9. I really doubt I would crack it to rip but...... I too would love to have a Gretzky. While I wouldn’t be picky I’d prefer a Topps to go with my ‘79 set.

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Well first, that's an awesome pack to own so a sincere congratulations to you sir. Second, anything I said about detecting cards inside packs was about raw packs. You're my hero if you can consistently detect players in slabbed packs. The half inch of plastic and inability to press down on the wax wrapper makes it nearly impossible.

Arthur

I agree with you completely looking through the case is a challenge. I don’t think you could do it consistently. Once it’s identified like this one you can match it up pretty easily but to do it without a starting point would be difficult and very time consuming at best impossible at worst.

Kevin

Kevin

Definitely don't rip that pack. You can find the cards slabbed in any grade whenever you want, just a matter of cost. But finding the packs with the card showing is much more of a true rarity. There are only two PSA 8s and only 6 total slabbed with a Lemieux on the back. You rip that pack and you're buying a one-way ticket to Crazytown.

Arthur

Beautiful Pafko!

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up these three 1963 Fleer cards for my set. I now need four cards to finish it. The 1969 Carew AS will replace the PSA 8 in my AS subset.
    James

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great cards Mars!!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarsAttacks that Pafko card also starred in a Bruce Willis movie Cop Out.

Really nice James.

Wow - Michael - the Pafko is incredible buddy.

And that pack is a keeper Kevin - remaining unopened? That's a treasure.

Mike

Hiya Keith

Thanx buddy.

Mike
  • slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2017 11:40PM

got this card

Quite happy with this get - any thought on grade? Looks sharp...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Evidence of Trimming. :(

Arthur

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2017 8:25PM

heres a nice new aquirement for my collection
    Jean beliveau, aurel joliat, doug harvey /30 sorry about photo . getting a new scanner soon

Really, really nice card David.

Darn good centering for that card also. Good show buddy. Merry Christmas.

Mike
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed with Mike on the nice rookie Seaver! One I'd like to someday get. Wha'd you hafta give up for it? :smile:

• creecree Posts: 393 ✭✭
    edited December 18, 2017 5:27PM

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

This thread never disappoints!!
    That's a real sharp Gretzky well done again Kevin

• initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Is it your scanner or is the case frosted?
    Would make a nice candidate for the lighthouse label
    Great job guys! Can't wait to see what the holiday gifts bring in

Holy shiot that is nice. I would send it in for review once, forget just a reholder!

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOTSOS,
    Congrats on the Gretzky. That is a keeper for sure.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto on the Gretzky, Lotsos!
    But the inheritance problem is easily solved.
    Just buy 4 more of them. LOL.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Lotsos!! That's a screamer!

@initialD said:
    Is it your scanner or is the case frosted?
    Would make a nice candidate for the lighthouse label
    Great job guys! Can't wait to see what the holiday gifts bring in

I believe it's just the scanner. It does appear having in spots but under my loupe and comparing it to other cases of that era my opinion is it's fine. I was already planning on sending it in for a reholder so that will confirm it but I already think it would be a non issue.

@secretstash said:
    Holy shiot that is nice. I would send it in for review once, forget just a reholder!

Thanks. No it's a 9 for a reason. First the biggest obstacle is the back. It's not close to 75/25 but if I look at the back once for every 100 times I see the front it's a fair trade.

@JBrules said:
    LOTSOS,
    Congrats on the Gretzky. That is a keeper for sure.

@UFFDAH said:
    Congrats Lotsos!! That's a screamer!

Thanks guys!

@Darin said:
    Ditto on the Gretzky, Lotsos!
    But the inheritance problem is easily solved.
    Just buy 4 more of them. LOL.

Hmmmm. May have to run that one buy the wife. ;)

Kevin

Kevin

• Kevin was a real professional to work with on the Gretzky. Thank you and Congratulations!

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Wow that's a great Great One - Congratulations on the pick-up. What a fabulous card!

Go Dodgers!
  • SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

How do you figure?

@SumoMenkoMan said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

How do you figure?

I'll let you know how it fares when I send it in. I don't have it in hand yet but it is on the way. Truth be told, I'm not all that bothered if it is trimmed though I obviously prefer that it not be.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017 3:21PM

@SumoMenkoMan said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

How do you figure?

I'll let you know how it fares when I send it in. I don't have it in hand yet but it is on the way. Truth be told, I'm not all that bothered if it is trimmed though I obviously prefer that it not be.

Not speaking for Reggie, but I can see what he's thinking about, the way the lower left edge, viewing the card from the front, seems to curve in. However, it could also be the photo partially, and the right edge of the card seems to "match" with the slight tilted edge of the left; hopefully it's as made in its appearance.

Editing to add: just so a google image search of "sanella Ruth PSA" and you'll see lots of examples already slabbed -- including ones that match the style of cut exactly. I'd wager this is as made and will slab fine at PSA. Good luck!

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

@SumoMenkoMan said:

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

How do you figure?

Good luck! If it came straight from a German dealer, I’m not sure they would care about trimming as they don’t grade or slab cards...is be surprised if it was trimmed.

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

1986 was my first year collecting so really wanted to reel this in and see it beside my 1986 Topps Mattingly!

I certainly hope I'm wrong. I'm basing it off the edges/corners and the my knowledge of that particular issue. About ten years ago there was the explosion of European cards into the States. For a while, European sellers just sold their cards on their country's specific ebay site. Once they realized there was more money to be made selling them on U.S. ebay there was a boom. But there's a huge cultural difference in how they collect compared to how we collect. It is perfectly acceptable to trim cards to improve their presentation in Europe. Once they found out we primarily wanted high grade examples the trimming got out of control. At this point, I wouldn't buy a raw card from Europe unless it were a true rarity and condition didn't matter to me. Just my $0.02.

Arthur

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I certainly hope I'm wrong. I'm basing it off the edges/corners and the my knowledge of that particular issue. About ten years ago there was the explosion of European cards into the States. For a while, European sellers just sold their cards on their country's specific ebay site. Once they realized there was more money to be made selling them on U.S. ebay there was a boom. But there's a huge cultural difference in how they collect compared to how we collect. It is perfectly acceptable to trim cards to improve their presentation in Europe. Once they found out we primarily wanted high grade examples the trimming got out of control. At this point, I wouldn't buy a raw card from Europe unless it were a true rarity and condition didn't matter to me. Just my $0.02.

Arthur

Thanks for all the info. It was priced where it was worth the gamble and I won't be too upset if it's been trimmed. If it's not, it's a great get. Appreciate the opinions...

This discussion has been closed.