Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

December Pickups

Comments

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I did it. I made the decision to go for #1. I'm close enough where I'd be a fool not to at this point. This (incomplete) set is easily the crown jewel of my collection and as of Friday (when Al and Bobby arrive home from PSA) I will have 10 of 12, 2 more than anyone else on the PSA registry. Their grades are in. Therefore, I talked myself into it. An upgrade. More like THE upgrade. I know it's not the most valuable of his cards but it is one of the more rare and to me one of the most beautiful as well:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the Mantle upgrade, you are right, that is a beautiful image!

The 53 Mantle is just a beautiful card, that whole set really.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of ashamed to show this one. Especially after seeing all the low grade cards that appear much better than the grade. This card has a little sentimental value. I bought this card when I first started collecting again in the early 90s. I probably paid a good bit more than it was worth back then. I kept it for 20 years+. When I put up some cards on my Unisquare site I put a ridiculous price on it figuring I would just keep it unless someone really wanted it. Someone did. I saw it on a BIN for about the same ridiculous price I sold it for so I bought it back.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not in the same league as some of the really great cards posted in the thread, this is actually one of my grails

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hyperchipper09 said:
    Not in the same league as some of the really great cards posted in the thread, this is actually one of my grails

Whatever the card it’s always great to acquire a grail! That’s a feeling we all wish for. Congrats.

Kevin

Kevin

• PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭

Very impressed month to month of the quality of cards this board steps up with. It really speaks to the strength of collecting at least here in our small collectors world here on the boards. Love the cards guys. Thank you.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

hyperchipper09, Congrats on the Drexler! Landing a grail is what it is all about. Are you working on a Drexler set (master) or the Police set? I am not familiar with the Police set so I am not sure how difficult it would be to put together.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Mantle is outstanding. A great story beats great condition every day of the week!

Arthur

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dtkk49a said:
    First card if the month

I wonder what % of those graded are owned by forum members here. Begsu's thread in non-sports inspired me to pick that one up as well. Great looking copy!

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    That is a sweet looking Wheaties Mantle congrats on the upgrade.

Picked up a couple of HOF beaters for my collection.
    imageimage

That Mantle is AWESOME.

What a month for viewing great cards.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been waiting for this Rodgers Rookie to surface with a killer patch. Here it is!!

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭

@djr said:

Not sure of the price, but probably a great buy. I expect this one to go up in the future for sure.

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2017 5:44PM

loading in one that just arrived a 3/3 Jeremy Roenick 6 peice card

• Indy78Indy78 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Great cards! Nice pickup on the Roenick. I really enjoyed watching him play when he was with the Blackhawks in the mid-90's. Good times.

Here's two more for my "low" grade '57 set build. I don't mind a little bit of wear at all - gives character to a 60-year old card, and it makes the card relatively cheap to boot. Yay! :)

Indy78, Love the 57 Mays. Probably my favorite card of him. Congrats!

• Indy78Indy78 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Thanks. Yes, I agree. The '57 issue is my favorite card of his by far.

• justrun7justrun7 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Came in from PSA today.

Indy, love that Mathews, great pickup! I used to grab his cards on the cheap in collector grade. I think he's underrated.

Arthur

November pickups home from crossover...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something for my football Hof set. Got this because it looks really nice IMO.

• TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

That is one nice 1971 Lanier card. In my collection of 1971 football cards, I have many nice 7s too.

That Willie is an absolute beauty for the grade. Congrats.

This has been one heck of a month already and its only the 8th? Lots of nice additions above congrats everyone.

Here's what arrived this week for me. First off two Perreault RCs. One Topps one OPC. Can never have too many of these. ;)

Next the Cherry was one I've been keeping an eye out for and decided now was the time. The Eichel is part of a Rainbow that I'm putting together.

The Perreault Team Canada is for my Perreault registry and all the rest are for my 70's Sabres run. One of these days I'm going to have to figure out how many I've got left to snag. If I had to guess I'd say I would say a little less than a third maybe a quarter left.

Kevin

Just did the math and I’m farther along than I thought. That’s encouraging since the search has seemed to have slowed.

So for 1970-80 Topps and OPC Buffalo Sabres in PSA 9 or better I have 322/365 88%!!! Would love to have this project wrapped up by their 50th Season.

Kevin

Kevin

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    This has been one heck of a month already and its only the 8th? Lots of nice additions above congrats everyone.

Here's what arrived this week for me. First off two Perreault RCs. One Topps one OPC. Can never have too many of these. ;)

Next the Cherry was one I've been keeping an eye out for and decided now was the time. The Eichel is part of a Rainbow that I'm putting together.

The Perreault Team Canada is for my Perreault registry and all the rest are for my 70's Sabres run. One of these days I'm going to have to figure out how many I've got left to snag. If I had to guess I'd say I would say a little less than a third maybe a quarter left.

I like the penalty minutes leader card. Maybe Topps baseball could have a leader card for Mgr. ejections,Player ejections for fighting,Pitcher beanings etc.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

That '70 OPC is really sharp for a PSA 7. I notice that it doesn't have the rough cuts that plague all OPC baseball from the era. Is that true for OPC hockey or is your card the exception?

Arthur

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I scooped this up yesterday when I heard some things early ;)

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup Matt and great timing. His cards will skyrocket with him in the NYC market.

KC

@ReggieCleveland said:
    That '70 OPC is really sharp for a PSA 7. I notice that it doesn't have the rough cuts that plague all OPC baseball from the era. Is that true for OPC hockey or is your card the exception?

Arthur

From what if read the rough cuts are due to the wires they used to cut them. New wires equaled better edges. Also (and to be clear this is only my theory) IF they cut more than one sheet at a time the positioning in the stack may have influenced the resulting edge.

I’ve also read, here I believe, that OPC vending was not produced in Canad but NY and cut as Topps did. The results being cleaner Topps like edges.

I don’t want to clog this thread but if someone who knows more details wants to start a new thread I’d love to hear about it.

I don’t mind a little fur on the edges but sometimes it can be a bit much.

Kevin

Kevin

• @KendallCat said:
    Nice pickup Matt and great timing. His cards will skyrocket with him in the NYC market.

KC

I was surfing Ebay look at Stanton RCs and was only 30% on the Yankees rumor, so I passed. Boy, did I miss out on some scores!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

here a couple of recent pick ups . 62 mantle and a 1934 beehive pit lepine

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

You gotta love the creativity on the 71 Larry Hillman. They pasted his head on a goalie's body, most likely Dave Dryden's. At least it is better than the scary-ass Montreal Canadiens players in the 1910 Sweet Caporal postcard set. Those can give you nightmares.

• slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭

Some awesome pick ups by all. Dave, both of your cards are amazing, but I am partial to that Ted Williams card. It has been on my Saved Searches list for years, but I have never picked one up as I have focused almost exclusively on basketball the last couple of years. Your example is remarkable for the grade and the centering and colors on it outshine cards with grades much, much higher. Congrats on another stellar "beater".

I turn around for a second and this forum turns into a basketball board! Great looking cards by all! The MJ Sticker is iconic and seems perpetually underrated. I also dig the Scoring Kings duo. They made some very creative cards in the 90's and I am currently enjoying buying cards from that market. The Drexler is a great example. Congrats on tracking down a whale, grail or whatever you want to call it. Always nice to get that card you have been after.

Tim, that is a fantastic Wilt RC. Centering on that and the Maravich are top 1% for those cards. Great eye and great scanner too. I wish my scans came out so clear!

Steve
  • sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Picked this up last week. Wish I went in for a few more. Will be interesting to see how 2018 plays out.

Steve, that takeit2.net Jordan is incredible. Congrats on landing the "Whale-Grail".

Two more arrived today. The first is a triple auto'd 1976 Topps French Conection card. The card I asked about here:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/991042/blue-flip-question#latest

This card in PSA 10 condition with all three autos signed in the same pen unlike this would be my GRAIL. Unfortunately I'd be willing to bet that the card I described doesn't exist. But this is a decent substitute. In the three years that I've been back into collecting this is the first time I recall seeing this card signed this way. Nice centering. Corners are evenly worn so Im happy.

Second is another Perreault RC. A nicely centered 8. Can never have too many of those!

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin

Scooped up this beauty last night.

1956 New York Yankees 8x10 Action Pack Photo Mickey Mantle

• prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Incredible stuff so far this month! I picked up a few nice items for my 1969 Topps football set:

And a few for my 1963 Topps football set which I recently started:

@DM23HOF said:
    So pumped over this Babe Ruth.

I seem to be coming back daily to look at this card.

Redonkulous.

@prgsdw said:
    Incredible stuff so far this month! I picked up a few nice items for my 1969 Topps football set:

And a few for my 1963 Topps football set which I recently started:

Nice looking 69 Unitas and those 63's you landed are outstanding. Congrats.

Alas, it has the faintest of faint print lines in the gloss toward the top of the front. Only visible when you hold the card just right in front of the light source but I' pretty sure enough to keep it from a 10. A shame to waste an otherwise perfect Tiffany rookie.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2017 8:04PM

@KendallCat said:
    Just picked this one up as a low priced value addition to the Mantle collection - really liked the centering on this one. Also, have a few more Mantle adds this week ;)

Nice Mantle!

• kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I think Red is an underrated HOFer. Although he never won a MVP, he did finish in the top 10 in MVP voting 12 years. That's consistent excellence.

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@KendallCat said:
    Just picked this one up as a low priced value addition to the Mantle collection - really liked the centering on this one. Also, have a few more Mantle adds this week ;)

Nice Mantle!

Sweet 56 Mick. Everything is relative, as this lower priced one is still much better than my raw VG! :smile:

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

I wanted to share, a card formerly of Randy Ruble's collection. The first one I know of publicly, that had decided a complete set of 1952 topps was possible to complete in a lifetime. I'm not sure whatever became of him, but he was definitely a character, and I was happy to add a card from his collection. Despite the grade, I don't think it will be replacing the vintage ballpoint autograph I have of Mr Brodowski. Apparently his is still signing, but finding vintage ballpoint autographs on any 52 high numbers is extremely difficult. Unlike most other players, his signature became more refined as he got older :p

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple signed 52s I got from Randy. I hope he is ok. I haven't heard from him since his mother passed away a few years ago.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

This discussion has been closed.