Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Warning for dealing with forum member planonit (Hunter Smith)***4/13 no positive update

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 13, 2017 8:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Back on January 10 2017 I made a deal with forum member Planonit to buy a $20 liberty NGC ms64 for $1785. I sent him the money through chase quick pay and we were supposed to be good to go.

I will be honest and say that I forgot about this deal completely and did not contact him for another month and a half. In the beginning of March I was talking with another forum member who asked me about my dealings with Hunter as he purchased 4 silver eagle rolls from him around the same time as me in January and never received anything. Each time he was given some excuse about where the eagles are or some other reason as to why he cant ship.

I looked into my inventory and saw that while I did send the payment I never received the coin. I contacted Hunter on the 10th of March and asked him how we could rectify this. He claimed that he had sent me an email that the holder of the coin cracked and that he had sent a check to reimburse me and since I never said anything to him he assumed I got it.

This I would later find out was lie number 1. I looked at my email and while I had all other correspondences, never received anything about a cracked slab. Further the other forum member mentioned that Hunter claimed to have sent a check to him as well that too never arrived.

I resent my address and ask him to confirm when a new check has been sent. He replies that on the 16th another check has been sent. I touched base on days 6-10 each time being told it was sent and just wait. He replied that if nothing comes by the 27th he would just quick pay me back.
By the 28th still nothing came in. I became very fed up as I was told excuse after excuse and nothing was happening. I texted him and let him know that I would give 1 week till April 4th for him to make good on the funds. 4 days later I finally get a quick pay for $500. He claimed that was his daily limit. I warned him that since he was playing games with both myself and another member and skirting his payments I would make this public. on the morning of the 4th I get another quick pay for $900. Still does not cover the total and is short by $380. He says that he cannot send more that day as his max is reached. I decide to give him one more day to come up with the money. Today there was no payment.

He claims that he will eventually pay but I am tired of waiting. If you owe money you need to be proactive in paying it back. I am still out the $380 with another forum member out $1655.

Today I typed in his phone number and name into google to get more information and was shocked to see at least 3 websites going back as far as 2013 discussing very shady deals as well as scams Hunter apparently has done against other people.

I would advise caution in dealing with him in the future

800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-317-703-4166

numberrecords.com/3177034166.tel

https://callsreported.com/3177034166.calls.reported

may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 3:07PM

Wow - always sorry to see posts like these.
    Hope everything works out well for all parties.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a jip! I think he may have been stringing you along. Your tanasity paid off (mostly).

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the warning. Seems though that you got $1300 back from him. I might have waited a couple more days.......

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 3:44PM

Wow. Needs more 'policing' than the OP's thread.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Thank you for the information. While it is neither nice nor easy to write a post like yours, it can be quite valuable to self-police the boards.

+1, I think this warning is very important though as he has listed quite a few high dollar coins. I would hate to see more people get taken advantage of due to someone being too embarrassed to be forthcoming about getting scammed.
    To the OP I hope you and the other poster recover your entire amount.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Painful, and hopefully you (and the other person/people) get made whole. Sadly the other history makes it seem less likely. Hate that this happens when all the other transactions go so well.

Glad you posted.

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

be safe, he knows your address, gun can protect you from dumb criminals, but still a hassle.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    NumivenNumiven Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

be safe, he knows your address, gun can protect you from dumb criminals, but still a hassle.

Numismatics & Photography
    rv@ravenumismatics.com
    Instagram.com/coin2photo

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the warning.
    BTW, you have his handle typoed in your opening sentence.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    Sorry you are going through this, and thank you for posting.

It's interesting to me, at least, because the person in question (Planonit) had pinged me a few times to try to sell coins to me. Unsolicited. Asking me what I collected and that he had a lot of coins that fit the bill.....
    I'm pretty picky in what I am buying, and from whom, right now, so I passed.

I worry that there may be others that got burned by him :(

I had this happen to me as well. He seemed pretty pushy and something seemed to turn me off about him.. Glad I passed. He didn't seem to have scammer prices, I thought he seemed high.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like a con to me. I would get into high gear and demand immediate payment and that it is a fraud unless reimbursement is fast. Then follow through with appropriate legal action. That is a tremendous amount of money to be taken advantage of so long.

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

This member selling on the boards here and the NGC boards....in fact i recall seeing him put up a BST ad just last week!!!!!!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is offering a gripped penny right now. (Looks corroded, but still.)

• Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

@kaz said:
    You've done a real service for us by posting this.

+1

Thanks for sharing your story.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

No excuse for stringing you along like that. I hope you finally get back the rest of your funds.

I recall back in December this user started a thread to expose a coin seller as a scammer, which makes this turn of evens even more perplexing.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@SaorAlba said:

@Coinstartled said:
    Thanks for the warning. Seems though that you got $1300 back from him. I might have waited a couple more days.......

After two months? The subject is a con artist. OP is lucky to have gotten that much back.

Kind of my point. Outing a miscreant is a benefit to the forum but may be an impediment to collecting the remaining balance.

• Options
    boyernumismaticsboyernumismatics Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

What a disgusting excuse for a human being...

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say you are lucky to get back $1,300. Sounds like he is having issues but at least did make some payments back

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

No excuse. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading the posts on that phone number lookup link I think you're very lucky to be made mostly whole. What's wrong with this guy. You are doing the forum a great service here Joe. Thanks!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really hope I don't have another addition very soon. :#

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

That's the same buffoon who started the thread about the recent cherrypick, causing a huge amount of drama.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    planonitplanonit Posts: 525 ✭✭
    edited April 5, 2017 5:48PM

I told Mr. Baker I would not comment on this and I won't. I told him I was wrong to forget about (which he admittedly forgot as well). I was the one who realized a few weeks ago that no check was cashed. He has been very understanding.

For the few who know me: I have a long track record (on this very forum) of posting scam warnings. I pushed the police to investigate Danny Fricker in California and tried to spread the word on "James Salmeron" in Vegas. As a result I, shall we say, "P.O." a lot of scam artists on Ebay and often Craigslist. They do routinely post things about me. So what.

If you can find ONE person who claims I "scammed" them. Bring them forward. I await it. Prepare to look for a long, long time because does not exist.

Now I don't blame Mr. Baker. He has every right to be upset. I am not a dealer and as some of you know this time of year I am often in very remote areas in Africa with limited access to many of the amenities and have to do things or proxy. I won't name the the bank we use but me an Mr. Baker use the same bank which provides a P2P service. I have routinely sent payments but with limits the bank puts on and the fact I often am using the service out of country the bank can be extremely over zealous in putting limits on how much I can send.

Mr. Baker will be made whole and then some. He has every right to be upset and I honestly cannot blame him. He told me over last couple of days if I did not send him this P2P asap he would post this. I told him (as I am sure he would confirm) that is his right and I do not blame him but nothing I can do. My hands our tied at times.

So I guess I have failed in my position to not commit but I wanted this to be here. I have been on this forum for....3 years?

The only "problem" I had was last year when I sold two Dahlonega gold pieces to a member and the USPS lost it (for a couple of days) and that was 100% out of my hands and at the end of the day the coins came late from a damaged package. I had one person sell me a cleaned coin but they were very understanding about it and that has been it.

Mr. Baker will be made whole and he knows that. I feel bad that we both got busy and lost touch and again at the end of the day as the SELLER it is on me. So again people can know come out of the woodwork and say what they want: nobody has ever, ever got the short end of the stick with me. Ever.

So sorry but I am not running away to Mexico.

Oh and one last note: I do occasionally sell. I have told members on here before I am 100% happy to meet (If we are close) and I am HAPPPYYYYY to send a coin before ANY payment. Repeat: I do not demand money upfront. If you are a member on here and say "I think I want to buy what you are selling" give me an address and I will ship it.

So there. I am sure other responses will come. I will (promise) not reply to them at all.

I have plans....sometimes
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the warning.

• Options

Hunter,

What about the other forum member who purchased silver eagles and sent you $1655? he is still waiting his refund as well

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    Also be on the lookout for Alt Id's, these folks do come back.

That is 100% true.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forum users need stickers. :D

• Options
    planonitplanonit Posts: 525 ✭✭

@joebb21 said:
    Hunter,

What about the other forum member who purchased silver eagles and sent you $1655? he is still waiting his refund as well

You and him are partners. You know this Mr. Baker. You both "bought" coins at the same time, same payment method, and even use the exact same PO Box.

Now I really did promise not to reply anymore. You have my number and you know how to reach me (There has never been a time where you have not gotten a hold of me within hours). I won't turn this into a big drama fest. I gave me very long response and I have told you the same thing. I have never, ever "played games", lied, or been anything but apologetic. If you recall it was ME who had your partner tell YOU "Hay I owe Yosef money I think." Recall? Actually you told him (your partner) I did not owe you anything. I am the one who told him immediately "Yes I do."

If I am a scam artist I am a very, very, very bad one.

The amount of time I have spent (with our shared bank) trying to get them to increase their limits and stop freaking out every time I send money (Their system sees request coming from overseas and freaks out) if I was making $7.50 an hour I could of made all your money back. I am joking but let us not claim I have run off into the wilderness and keep stalling for time because I am using your money to build a shack in Mexico.

You have ever right to post this and self-policing the forum is great but I really will not reply about it anymore. The story is there. I am not going anywhere nor are you. You will get the rest of your money back and you know it and I won't turn this forum into one big drama fest.

I have plans....sometimes
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

How ever this ends up..................I appreciate all parties posting so that all of us watching/listening can form our own educated/experienced opinions. :smile:
    I'll be on another coin related thread for now.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    PaleElfPaleElf Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

@planonit said:

You and him are partners. You know this Mr. Baker. You both "bought" coins at the same time, same payment method, and even use the exact same PO Box.

So what is Joebb21's alt?

• Options

@PaleElf said:

@planonit said:

So what is Joebb21's alt?

I dont have an alt. There is another forum member who lives right next to me and we do alot of business together. The other member offered to Hunter that he could ship both our coins together to save on shipping. I had no problem with this.

We each happened to pay with with an electronic payment and as it turns out we bank at the same bank

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

at this point, planonit, you may as well address the $1655 publicly. what's the status of that? joebb21 can give notice with both outstanding bills are paid off.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as everything is the truth and facts are stated.
    I have NO problem hearing both sides.
    Just keep feeling out of the forum and just the facts and then everyone can make their minds.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused, what happened to the MS64 $20 Lib., was this the coin? https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/971478/wts-1895-20-pcgs-ms-64-price-drop-again-again#latest

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    As long as everything is the truth and facts are stated.
    I have NO problem hearing both sides.
    Just keep feeling out of the forum and just the facts and then everyone can make their minds.

both sides has been the forum way....

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I'm the forum member who sent Hunter the $1,655 for the 3 rolls of ASE's. To his credit, Mr. Baker did forget about the money that was owed to him and during a phone conversation I had with Hunter he reminded me.

During all of my conversations with Hunter he's been completely forthcoming with me about him trying to pay us back. I'm sure that he'll do so and I'll be happy to buy some more coins from him in the future. I understand the frustration of my colleague since he hasn't been paid in so long, however for now I'll give Hunter the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2017 8:35PM

Apparently joebb doesn't have the patience of MACGE1.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file