Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Turning my 1980's/early 90's commons into classics!

Comments

• FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

Love the Koosman RC!

Would be stoked to commission a Will Clark someday.

Any thoughts on posting a list of what is already spoken for/reserved across all sports? May add a bit to get people to commit and make a down payment early.

• timcarrollarttimcarrollart Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

@FirstBeard said:
    Love the Koosman RC!

Would be stoked to commission a Will Clark someday.

Any thoughts on posting a list of what is already spoken for/reserved across all sports? May add a bit to get people to commit and make a down payment early.

Thanks everyone. The list is something I need to get busy on - I agree, it would come in handy and would save me an email here and there letting people know the card(s) they are considering has already been claimed.

I cut baseball cards. Really. timcarrollart.com

• Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

I am blown away. Absolutely amazing. I'm inspired to try this myself. Beautiful!

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

HOLY CRAP! That Ryan is unfrigginamazing!!!!! CONGRATS on a job well done.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is really cool. Love the irony of using 80s cards to make an 88 Fleer Update Biggio

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2017 7:15AM

Wow.....wow....wow!

Any Cardinals players in your work?

Here is a challenge for you that I just thought of........

What about trying a Michael Jordan piece using only cheap Michael Jordan cards? There are certainly many cheap Jordan cards out there.

Shane

@frankhardy said:
    Wow.....wow....wow!

Any Cardinals players in your work?

Here is a challenge for you that I just thought of........

What about trying a Michael Jordan piece using only cheap Michael Jordan cards? There are certainly many cheap Jordan cards out there.

Just now seeing this - my apologies for not answering sooner. I have worked a Cardinals illustration in the past (I believe it was the image on the cover of a media guide). I have also worked a '52 Bowman Musial. I'd have a hard time cutting that many Jordans, lol...I taught elementary school for several years and know how many kids would value even the most common Jordan over any work I could do!:)

edited July 7, 2017 12:26PM

Finished with this commissioned Cracker Jack Ty Cobb. The background/border was made from cut 2004 Topps CJ's:

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    edited April 19, 2017 7:48AM

Tim - another AMAZING piece of art. Well done!

Edited to add: On other message boards some people are wondering if there is any painting involved with your "cut card" work. Is there any paint involved at all? Thanks.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are just incredible. Thanx!

Mike
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Cobb CJ looks GREAT!!!

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Thanks, everyone!

@Dboneesq said:
    Tim - another AMAZING piece of art. Well done!

Edited to add: On other message boards some people are wondering if there is any painting involved with your "cut card" work. Is there any paint involved at all? Thanks.

Thank you! 100% unaltered cut cards (that's like an oxymoron, right?:)). No paint, marker, pens, etc. Even the facsimile autographs on some of the pieces are cut cards. Sometimes it takes awhile to find the exact colors/shades, but nothing is artificially embellished.

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

just great work!!!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

edited July 7, 2017 12:26PM

"Charles Conlon"; 40"x 30"; Cut early 90's Sporting News Conlon Collection cards; SOLD.

After completing the Jackie Bond Bread from the same B&W Conlon cards, I knew I had to get this finished.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a fitting tribute for Charles Conlon using his Conlon cards to produce this masterpiece.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@timcarrollart said:
    Finished with this commissioned Cracker Jack Ty Cobb. The background/border was made from cut 2004 Topps CJ's:

one day you will die and be the modern PICASSO, your paintings will be worth millions

@lawyer05 said:

@timcarrollart said:

one day you will die and be the modern PICASSO, your paintings will be worth millions

That would be awesome.....and it would be REALLY awesome if one could sell for that before I pass!:)

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are just incredible!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

That Cobb is flat out incredible Tim. Great job!

Thank you, guys!

edited July 7, 2017 12:27PM

New commission is complete! For a modern card (a retro Topps Archives SP in the style of 1989 Topps), this one had everything I wanted in an art piece: color, expression, "funky" font. 21" x 29" - SOLD.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Mike

Finished this a couple days ago.....cut 2010-2013 A&G commons and cut 1982 Topps commons. 19.5"x 29"; This is one of the few I've been able to finish over the past couple of years that wasn't commissioned.

• unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

The failed artist in me is envious.

With a half million 80's and 90's cards in my warehouse I'll have to give this a shot.

• OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

This is beyond. Beyond anything else on this board ever. THIS is simply... cool.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing work, Tim!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Wow. This is a thread for the ages.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Amazing work, Tim!

Tim, stop talking about yourself in the third person!

Thank you, all!

Wish I was at the National this year, but since I'm not......might as well get some work done! I'll have a 1987 Topps tribute uploaded Saturday evening (it is being given as a gift that morning). Also just finished this one - my version of the 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson:

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your work never ceases to amaze!

@miwlvrn said:
    Your work never ceases to amaze!

Thank you! My next one is not a classic, but I feel it is my best work to date. Will be unveiling tomorrow......-Tim

Here we go.....1987 Topps was the first cards I ever owned. 99% of this piece was made from cut '87 Topps. This was a commission and is unavailable.

• I have no money, but if I did I would pay crazy money for the 1990 Score Bo Jackson #697

@Mrpokey said:
    I have no money, but if I did I would pay crazy money for the 1990 Score Bo Jackson #697

Thank you! The timing of your post is impeccible! I was commissioned to do the 1990 Score piece from cut cards yesterday morning. Should be finished in about 12 weeks. I did create this one also a few years ago....made from a shattered Bo bat.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big props to timcarrollart and mouschi (the Canseco guy). You 2 are both extremely talented, and I enjoy every photo you post. Awesome work!

@countdouglas said:
    Big props to timcarrollart and mouschi (the Canseco guy). You 2 are both extremely talented, and I enjoy every photo you post. Awesome work!

Thank you, sir! Really appreciate the kind words. I agree....Tanner creates some cool, outside-the-box stuff. Can't believe he hasn't been snatched up by one of the major card companies! He'd be a huge asset for their product development team.

• saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

@timcarrollart said:
    Here we go.....1987 Topps was the first cards I ever owned. 99% of this piece was made from cut '87 Topps. This was a commission and is unavailable.

This is stellar.

Would there be different results if say you had 500 1987 Topps Mookie Wilson cards to cut up?

Or is it possible with enough cards to create a Mookie Wilson fractal?

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com

@saucywombat said:

@timcarrollart said:

This is stellar.

Would there be different results if say you had 500 1987 Topps Mookie Wilson cards to cut up?

Thank you! Creating the Mookie from all Mookies (or any card from itself) would be extremely time consuming and would take many more cards than usual. Example on the Wilson: while I could pull enough orange, woodgrain, dark blue, flesh tone, and sky to make it work......the amount of white within the small card is so minuscule, only small slivers would be available. Ditto on the black. Even if there was enough to pull each color/tone, I doubt I would be able to pull off a piece that looks so close to the actual card. One would be able to recognize it, but it wouldn't look as fluid as the one I just created. Hope all of that makes sense....-Tim

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@timcarrollart said:

@saucywombat said:

@timcarrollart said:

This is stellar.

Thank you! Creating the Mookie from all Mookies (or any card from itself) would be extremely time consuming and would take many more cards than usual. Example on the Wilson: while I could pull enough orange, woodgrain, dark blue, flesh tone, and sky to make it work......the amount of white within the small card is so minuscule, only small slivers would be available. Ditto on the black. Even if there was enough to pull each color/tone, I doubt I would be able to pull off a piece that looks so close to the actual card. One would be able to recognize it, but it wouldn't look as fluid as the one I just created. Hope all of that makes sense....-Tim

I do like seeing the Mookie Wilson name portion of his 1987 Topps card cut and placed into multiple spots on your finished piece, such as the orange trim on the sleeve and collar.

• Hmmmm?.....ever cut up 'junk' comics?
    An early Amazing Spider-Man would look, well, AMAZING!

Most impressive work indeed!!!

@LuvOldPacks said:
    Hmmmm?.....ever cut up 'junk' comics?
    An early Amazing Spider-Man would look, well, AMAZING!

Most impressive work indeed!!!

Thanks! I have, indeed, used the same concept on comics. 38 junk Superman comics to make this one.......

• Started rolling on this one, and just couldn't stop. I have a feeling I will complete many more renditions from the 1964 Topps Giants set before I am done. This Clemente measures 20" x 28", and is available:

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible! I happen to have one of those on my desk right now, for comparison so others don't have to look it up...

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 64 Giants set is definitely one of my favorites, so much so that I acquired an entire PSA set. All 60 cards have such stunning photography, with amazing color and focus. That set is definitely a worthy subject of your extreme talents. The Clemente that you've done is awesome! I certainly look forward to seeing what you do next.

• @LarkinCollector said:
    Incredible! I happen to have one of those on my desk right now, for comparison so others don't have to look it up...

Thank you!